Thermaltake Black Widow 850W Bronze PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106

Is this a good power supply? It's on sale for $94.99, original price being 149.99.
No. It's a part of Thermaltake's shit quality TR2 line. If it was $5, maybe it would be worth getting. But not at $95.

Are you seriously looking for a new PSU? If so, what's the specs of your PC?
So far I've read around here that lower end Thermaltakes are ticking time bombs, but the higher end line have much more reliable PSU's. Is that true?
Yes and no: Pretty much the only good PSUs that Thermaltake offers are part of their Toughpower line of PSUs. Every other Thermaltake PSU line is generally crap

EDIT: The Smart Power might be ok-ish as well.

Last edited:
This will be for a 2600K system with the same GTX 680 in my sig. 2 platter drives and an SSD, and may snag another GTX 680 if I find a good deal. Ah gotcha, I had a feeling it was a crappy one, and I used to have a 750W Toughpower. Was great, stupid of me to sell it two years ago. :rolleyes:

If you're looking for modular and good customer support, I'd look at the Cosair HX750 or the Seasonic X750.

Don't really care about customer support, noticed you have an Antec TP-750. Would you have recommended that one as well?

Don't really care about customer support, noticed you have an Antec TP-750. Would you have recommended that one as well?
Yes and no. It's a good PSU. But at $110 shipped, it's just a tad too much considering the price of the modular HX750 right now. Not to mention that once you throw out customer support as a factor, the Rosewill Capstone 750W isn't a half bad choice.

Though you might actually be fine with a solid 650W PSU (for SLI I mean) like the Seasonic X650 Gold which is currently on sale for the awesome price of $90. I recommend that same Seasonic when it's at it's $130 to $140 price. So at $90, it's a damn good deal.

Last edited:
My current PSU is an XFX Pro 650W. It isn't modular, but seems to be good. I thought it wouldn't be enough for 680 SLI even though it has 4 PCI-E power plugs. (2x6-pin, and 2x8-pin)

So I guess I'm already set? Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

As Danny said, the tr2 units couldn't even stay in ATX spec at 60% load... Come to think of it, those units blew up at 80% rated load.

Yes, your XFX 650 will be more than sufficient for 680 SLI with a 3770k.

It'll work with your proposed 2600k system as well, even with overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

This is my PSU. You're saying that it'd be enough for even two GTX 680s in SLI? And an overclocked 2600K?

Yes. Voltage locked 680s use around 200 watts overclocked each. The 2600k will use anywhere from 100-150 watts overclocked, depending on your overclock settings. The rest of the system is approximated by 50-100 watts. That puts you at 650 watts as your max theoretical usage. Typical gaming loads will be significantly lower, you will only see the max power consumption during simultaneous furmark and p95/LinX.

Noticed my overclock using 115 watts running P95 for the 2600K at my current volts. One 1TB HD and a 128GB SSD. Thanks Tsumi.

Back