Thermalright XP-120 + Yate Loon 120mm = unmountable?!

JaYp146

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

In the instructions for the Thermalright XP-120, it shows where to insert the metal clips that hold the 120mm fan in place. This requires the 120mm fan to have holes drilled into the bottom of it. However, Yate Loon 120mm's have this hole but also have a plastic shield extending from the bottom hole to the top hole. Therefore, it's impossible to insert the clips (as there isn't enough length to fit through this "shield").

Any ideas on how to mount the Yate Loon? I'd really like to avoid buying another fan if possible..

Thanks in advance. :D

Anything else? / What would I use to shave/cut the plastic off (pardon my n00bish modding skills)...?

A file, dremel drill, tin snips. I'm not sure what they look like. I thought the Yate Loon and the Nexus Real Silent fans were the same. Maybe that's just the motor/bearings and not the housing.

aburgard said:
A file, dremel drill, tin snips. I'm not sure what they look like. I thought the Yate Loon and the Nexus Real Silent fans were the same. Maybe that's just the motor/bearings and not the housing.

I was thinking the same for tools, just wanted to be sure.

I'll be sure to take some before and after pics. :p

Thanks much.

yeah I've dremelled them out for various reasons before... Not for this particular reason, but to mount the fan to my RAD, I cut the top half of the "cylinder" off for the screw to reach...

I have a yate loon mounted on an xp-120 and I don't have any modding skills either.....:confused:

Maybe you can show a pic? Somehow I got mine to stick

Same problem with my yate loon and si-128. (It's a page or two back) This guide shows how to do it. Probably tomorrow I'm gonna try it out.

I got the same HS+F and it will work without the holes, you just need to be careful putting it on. Comes off easier too. But it works just fine without any modification needed.

or if you dont' want to go through all that trouble you can always use zipties. i did it on my xp-120 on the video card side. Since i had a thermalright V1-ultra the clips got in the way. so i used zipties on one side and it holds really well. the only thing is if you like to take the fan on and off often then you're gonna go through a lot of zipties.

Back