Thermalright Ultra Extreme Copper

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermalright Ultra Extreme Copper - Did you think that you already owned the biggest baddest air cooler in the world? Well you are wrong. Soon a few thousand of you will get the ability to join the Ultra Extreme Copper Club. Size does matter, and even more so what is it made of?

If you wanted proof-of-concept out of Thermalright that they could do it even better, the TRUE Copper is that proof. Totally effin awesome FTW-ness? Yes! Practical and of value? Not even close.

My god...Price be damned i want one.

Sorry, I am a Whore when it comes to good looking copper. Can't explain it..I just love copper and that is the theme in my case.

$125? 4.2 lbs? I can hear my motherboard snapping as we speak...LOL...seems like a "bling" thing to me. Still it might be worth it if a motherboard was laying down and not on it's side (tower case mounted)..just my $.02...

The TRUE Cooper definitely lives up the the hype. Whenever I can afford one I'm going to get it. Well worth the price.

That is one impressive cooler. If I were in the market for a new cooler I'd still go with original though. Less weight, similar cooling, cheaper. I'll probably move up to one if my tuniq tower 120 can't handle my next build.

Great review and awesome cooler. I'm curious why there are no Zalman HSF's to compare it to?

That's so impractical on so many levels. If I wanted to drop $125 on a cooler, I'd just go back to water cooling. Not to mention the weight, which is just absurd. However, I'm sure they'll sell every single one that rolls off the production line to the same kind of guys that run tri-sli and intel extreme processors.

Nice review. Great looking cooler but shitty price and 4.2lbs?!? Are you serious? Thats a 1/2gal of milk hangin from your mobo!?!I had a Titan Amanda cooler that was 2.2lbs and it came with a multi-cable system to secure the cooler to the case to help support the weight off the mobo...this seems like too much. I suppose thats why they dont recommend vert installs.

I know the TRUE is not intended to be a passive cooler, but with all that copper surface goodness I can't help but wonder how it does on a mild oc.

I have a TRUE UE120 and I found the cu verison nice, but not worth the extra cost to upgrade. and dam 4.2 lb that is hefty forsure.

Thanks [H] for the review.

No pics of the motherboard bending?

I hear these things are coming out with crappy bases still like the old ones. Maybe [H] just got lucky and got a good one.

What a waste of copper, the cost, and add the factor of the thing destroying the motherboard over time (a year if not months). I couldn't justify spending out on it. Yeah it looks nice and it will do wonders for your e-penis, but you will look right prat when it kills your 300+ dollar motherboard.

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems just out right stupid. The temperature was virtually the same, the cost massively more, and the weight a real danger just waiting to strike.

If I was staying with air (Im not) Id pick the standard TRUE over the Cu, 4.2lbs and a $300 motherboard just dont go together well. Especially not at a $50 price premium and almost no cooling difference (0.6°?!).

If I was staying with air (Im not) Id pick the standard TRUE over the Cu, 4.2lbs and a $300 motherboard just dont go together well. Especially not at a $50 price premium and almost no cooling difference (0.6°?!).

I have to agree with this. Although the cooler is best in class i'm worried about it warping my P6T so I stuck with Al TRUE, now for the mounting bracket...

How can you give it such a good conclusion? The standard ultra 120 is half the price, half the weight, and only 0.6 degrees hotter. Why buy the copper version?

oh, and where's the video of you installing it on a mobo you don't care about and moving it around so we can see it snap in half? :D

Seems to be worth it, but if like me you have a normal TRUE, it might not be worth your change.

Why no comparison to OCZ cpu coolers in that review? They make very good bang for buck cpu HSF and don't require installing a back plate to the underside of the mb to install.

Any suggestions for fitting one of these in a case safely? Anything I can do to minimize risk of damage?

Nice review, I was wanting to see some numbers on these. Think this will start a new bread of "air-coolering junkies?" It's still a pretty sick cooler.

Please test this with core i7 965. It's nice to see the results against other coolers under the old bench conditions, but you guys are supposed to be [H]ard... right ?? ;)

At least compare both TRUE version with i7, especially when you OC it to 4ghz ish with a gigantic voltage increase :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems just out right stupid. The temperature was virtually the same, the cost massively more, and the weight a real danger just waiting to strike.

You are, to some of us Aesthetics are just as important as anything else. Some people spend money on their cars, some on their houses, some on their skin, some on their computers. Beauty is a personal thing, and to me that cooler encompasses everything I am looking for in an air cooler. Weight is easily dealt with, so outside the user who is going to stick in in their case and forget it (Few if any of the ones who would buy this would be doing so), weight is a non issue.

You are, to some of us Aesthetics are just as important as anything else. Some people spend money on their cars, some on their houses, some on their skin, some on their computers. Beauty is a personal thing, and to me that cooler encompasses everything I am looking for in an air cooler. Weight is easily dealt with, so outside the user who is going to stick in in their case and forget it (Few if any of the ones who would buy this would be doing so), weight is a non issue.

Some people don't get it bro. Just walk away.

I've always wondered how copper coolers hold up over time.
The surface oxidises and loses its shine and undoubtedly loses some of its ability to transfer heat to the air.
I imagine the base remains pretty clean due to the thermal paste so no issues there.

Can a previously tested copper cooler be retested to see the sort of ballpark temp diffs we can expect after say 1, 2 or 3 years?
This would give us some idea of how good an investment the best cooler really is.
Cheers if you can :)

I've always wondered how copper coolers hold up over time.
The surface oxidises and loses its shine and undoubtedly loses some of its ability to transfer heat to the air.
I imagine the base remains pretty clean due to the thermal paste so no issues there.

Can a previously tested copper cooler be retested to see the sort of ballpark temp diffs we can expect after say 1, 2 or 3 years?
This would give us some idea of how good an investment the best cooler really is.
Cheers if you can :)

Would be nice to know. I'm sure you could dip the whole thing in the right acid though to clean it. Probably be a bit expensive.

Or you could coat the whole thing in artic silver :p

Great review and awesome cooler. I'm curious why there are no Zalman HSF's to compare it to?

Probably due to the Fact that they're not what [H]OCP would consider Extreme Cooling Solution(s). They're an excellent Mid-Range Cooler, but Zalman has yet to Step up to the Plate and Deliver a Heatsink in the Extreme Cooling Range. I know I own Both a Zalman CNPS 9700LED, and a TRUE120, and trust me, they are not even in the same league.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why no comparison to the super-popular heat-pipe coolers such as the Xigmatic s1283 and Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro?

Bought one of these yesterday - it'll be on my porch Tuesday. I pretty sure I can "suspend" it from the top of my A1200. That'll at least help with any warping. Not to mention 2 heavy - ass 120mmx38mm fans strapped to it.

I need to stop this habit. I just bought a 30" LCD a week ago, this Cu TRUE and completely rebuilt my 2nd box, I've got 7 VRaptors between the two and am contemplating an i7 system because my 4.4GHz E8600 just isn't "doing" it for me anymore.

"Hi, my name's Brahmzy and I have an addiction." "Hi Brahmzy, welcome." :)

Oh ya gotta love it though, I know I do, haha. There's just something kinds sick that happens inside of me when I hear a UPS truck pull up to the house.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why no comparison to the super-popular heat-pipe coolers such as the Xigmatic s1283 and Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro?

Xigmatek s1283 = Kingwin RVT-12025
They are exactly the same down to the rubber fan mounts, just rebranded. A note about this would be helpful for shoppers. I could only find the Xigmatek when I bought mine, now I see both on newegg.

All these negative posters this is not for you! This monster is [H]ard all the way!!! Damn straight it should be rewarded here as it "[H]..Above the ordinary, pissing on below".
So is there only 1999 left after yours or is that not counting review samples?

Lol twice as heavy and 1C of difference? Not worth it in the slightest.

There's just something kinds sick that happens inside of me when I hear a UPS truck pull up to the house.
Most of us don't have to change our pants from a "white spot" when we hear the UPS truck. I won't say I don't get excited, but not that excited. :p

I value aesthetics, certainly but this heatsink is still out right stupid. You simply discard the weight issue by stating it's simple, but it's not. You specifically state aesthetics as a reasoning for this heatsink yet to deal with the weight issue with require some form of visual sacrifice by means of support wires or laying the case in a entirely different manner. You can't state weight is not a issue and then not even state HOW you would handle it. At the cost of this heatsink you could do visual mods that would look far better than a giant chunk of copper, hell you could likely plate a normal TRUE for the cost and not have the weight issue at all...

Heh, I guess the TRUE Silver is next. Even better thermal conductivity, even more weight, and even more cost. You'd need some kind of support bracket to mount it!

Kyle, I can't help but think that the Thermister Tube must be extremely Delicate, any special care in installing it? I noticed that you have it coiled to help minimize the bends in the tube, so it must be pretty FN soft tubing. I'm glad I don't have the Resources to play around with Drilling into $1000+ CPU's, though I'm glad someone has the Technical Skills necessary to Push our Knowledge base over the Top, very Good info on this Review.

Sweet review. One can only find this crazy shit at [H]. So is there any alternative to physically measure CPU temp like a probe or only drilling? I have to completely agree that software monitoring is too inaccurate.

Back