Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

Yeah you can transfer it, but I'd rather not chance it, and just having to stop / start at stop signs and such will wiggle the HS a bit, and hills will also play a factor.. Anyway I wouldn't chance damaging my new comp and go for a good small HS if I was traveling a lot with it :).

Yeah you can transfer it, but I'd rather not chance it, and just having to stop / start at stop signs and such will wiggle the HS a bit, and hills will also play a factor.. Anyway I wouldn't chance damaging my new comp and go for a good small HS if I was traveling a lot with it :).

Fair enough.

Hey all,

I just ordered Ultra 120 Extreme after hours of reading, which I was sold..
I have a couple genuine 120 mm fans which I will try with once HSF is here, but do you have suggestion on any brand work nice with this HSF?
I'd love to get quiet one but wish it is not over-priced...

thank you,

Thanks guys~ I just test my 120mm fans, and wow~ it made a lot of boozzzing sounds... definately I want to buy some better one...

You can buy the Yates for $3.50 (cheaper if you buy more) from http://www.jab-tech.com

Also see if nexfan(?) is still having their yate sale (buy 2 get 1 free) in the hot deals section.

Yate Loons are the same fans found in the Nexus series, but are the bulk version and thus cheaper.

So which Yate do you have on HSF?
How's Noise level?

I got the blue LED one since it was the same price as the others when I bought it. The slow are almost silent and the others are also quiet for the amount of air. I have a thread in this section that has info on a few of the popular ones.

I think someone did a comparison of Ultra 120 vs 90ES... try googling :)

Any idea where that review/comparo is? I only did a cursory Google search but I found this one:

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137838

Where the Ultima-90 ES out-performs the Tuniq, under load, by about 4-5 degrees (or more under different configs) which is just slightly less than the edge the Ultra 120 Extreme has on the Tuniq on Anand's tests.

And that's all at like 2/3rds the weight as the Ultra 120E... Sounds like a similar situation as that of the old XP-90 vs X-120 imo. If nothing else I'm sure a lot of people would opt for the Ultima 90ES due to space/weight concerns.

Has anyone seen it on sale yet? I spotted the Ultra-120E for $64 at Newegg but no the Ultima 90ES...

Any idea where that review/comparo is? I only did a cursory Google search but I found this one:

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137838

Where the Ultima-90 ES out-performs the Tuniq, under load, by about 4-5 degrees (or more under different configs) which is just slightly less than the edge the Ultra 120 Extreme has on the Tuniq on Anand's tests.

And that's all at like 2/3rds the weight as the Ultra 120E... Sounds like a similar situation as that of the old XP-90 vs X-120 imo. If nothing else I'm sure a lot of people would opt for the Ultima 90ES due to space/weight concerns.

Has anyone seen it on sale yet? I spotted the Ultra-120E for $64 at Newegg but no the Ultima 90ES...

Just to note.... It's probably the Ultima-90i ... ES stands for Engineering Sample.

I did that review... never thought it would be months and months before it comes out. Someone said mid July before it is out. Will be interested how the base is compared to the ES I have.

Ah, duh, in any case... I didn't see an Ultima-90 of any kind at any store, a couple Ultra-90s but that was about it. I hope they didn't phase it out before even releasing it, the numbers looked good. :p

I run a very low-flow quiet setup currently with a Scythe Ninja in My Lian-Li PC-7B. Both case fans and the cpu fan are Yate Loons which are all 5 volted (running around 650rpm) so there's very little airflow, but very little noise as well. Right now my idle temps are about 36c but under load the fans crank up a bit (but still under 1000rpm) and temps jump to nearly 60c. I'm looking into some better cooling and the U120X seems to be the top of the crop right now.

Only problem is, I keep seeing reviews where fans running at like 1600rpms are used, which is way too loud for my taste. Anyone know of any reviews where they use an undervolted fan? Better yet, anyone here have a U120X on a fan controller who would be kind enough tell me what kind of an effect 5 volting your cpu fan has on temps?

I run a very low-flow quiet setup currently with a Scythe Ninja in My Lian-Li PC-7B. Both case fans and the cpu fan are Yate Loons which are all 5 volted (running around 650rpm) so there's very little airflow, but very little noise as well. Right now my idle temps are about 36c but under load the fans crank up a bit (but still under 1000rpm) and temps jump to nearly 60c. I'm looking into some better cooling and the U120X seems to be the top of the crop right now.

Only problem is, I keep seeing reviews where fans running at like 1600rpms are used, which is way too loud for my taste. Anyone know of any reviews where they use an undervolted fan? Better yet, anyone here have a U120X on a fan controller who would be kind enough tell me what kind of an effect 5 volting your cpu fan has on temps?

Check silentpcreview.com for great quiet fan reviews / tests.

Well the extreme will just be a bit lower in temp than the regular, but you were asking for fan reviews :p

He's right tho, even w/a low-CFM fan the Extreme version should still shave off a few degrees off the results you'd get w/the non-Ext version (whose performance w/silent fans SPCR has already tested)... The Extreme version just has more heatpipes moving heat to the fins that the fan is cooling.

lol no I wasn't, but thanks anyways :cool:

Just look at the reviews in their fan showdowns or whatever they are called, they will show which can push the most air at low volts, then buy that fan for the ultra-120 (extreme).

You were looking for a review of the Ultra-120 with good fans, but the HS itself works the same no matter, so you are really looking for the fan review ;)

Most fans will do just fine.

If you are a freak in terms of silence, get a slow spinning fan like the yate loon.

If you like looks, LED's, get an LED fan and use a fan controller to lower its speed. That's what I do with my thermaltake 120mm BLUE LED fan. It runs @ 1500RPM using a fan controller, Very quiet and really cool looking!

Those clear blue CoolerMaster LED fans you might have seen around (think CompUSSR used to carry them) are pretty quiet out of the box too, not quite as quiet as a YL but close.

Yeah I already have several undervolted Yate Loons in my case, so I'm not looking for new fans. It's just that the fins on the U120X look rather tightly packed, and I'm unsure if the YL will be able to push enough air through to be effective. It would be a shame to spend a bunch of money on a new cooler only to find that I need to increase overall system noise just to get it to be more efficient than my current cooler.

Yeah I already have several undervolted Yate Loons in my case, so I'm not looking for new fans. It's just that the fins on the U120X look rather tightly packed, and I'm unsure if the YL will be able to push enough air through to be effective. It would be a shame to spend a bunch of money on a new cooler only to find that I need to increase overall system noise just to get it to be more efficient than my current cooler.

What part about user's comments, or reviews don't you understand about the Thermaltake Ultra / Xtreme 120 being the most efficient, yet ultra silent cpu cooler?

Any fan will do, just use a fan controller to determine the right speed / noise.

Besides, the yate-loon fans will do just fine. I don't know about undervolted though, but if you are such a freak about noise, then run the xtreme without a fan. It will do a great job.

I tried it with my E6600 @ 3.6ghz and my temperatures were idleing in the mid 50's or lower

Thermaltake has some 120mm LED fans that have speed controls on them too, I bought a pair from newegg to use for my top port fans. They have knob controllers that sit in the case slots.

If the 1600rpm Scythe is to much noise (its what I'm running, getting 30 degrees idle, well it's dropped to 28 now since I'm up so late and it's getting cooler :) ), Scythe does have an 800rpm model too, I'm actually using one of those for my HD cooling. It was really academic since I have several 1200rpm case fans anyway, I just wanted to try it out. I don't really have a problem with the 1600rpm fan noise, my main noise issues at the moment are more vibrational I think from my top fan mounts. They're in these handy snap-in mounts on the case, but I wonder if not being screwed down lets them vibrate too much. Or the Thermaltakes may just be noise SOBs, I'll have to replace them with some 1200rpm Scythes and see if it makes a noise difference. I kinda hope not, because I want the LED lighting from those.

Anywho, Ultra 120 Extreme...big, costly when you pay for it and a fan, but keeps the CPU nice and cool, I'm happy with it, I've always used Thermalright heatsinks.

Im thinking of getting this cooler for my Q6600. Now Im wondering how well does a Push-Pull setup with 2 Yate-Loon D12SLs work? Will it be better than say 1 Silverstone FM121? Thanks.

edit: Does anyone have a pic of how to mount two fans (I assume with zip tie) on the Ultra 120? Thanks again.

Im thinking of getting this cooler for my Q6600. Now Im wondering how well does a Push-Pull setup with 2 Yate-Loon D12SLs work? Will it be better than say 1 Silverstone FM121? Thanks.

edit: Does anyone have a pic of how to mount two fans (I assume with zip tie) on the Ultra 120? Thanks again.

Anandtech did a push->pull on their review of the original Ultra 120. And you would just need 2x clips.

[http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031164824&postcount=8]

I pull this from the post I started. One of members shared these pictures, and it shows how s/he did it.
Hope this help.

JK

Back