Thermalright 120 Extreme Idle Temps High??

Ok nevermind, I figured out the Fan Issue, got it running full tilt now.

Still have core temp reading: 34c average
Still have Speedfan reading :19c average

Is that normal for most people w/ a E6850 out there?

Im done bugging!

Thats about right, and it is pretty good. Never use the manufacturers bundled software to discuss or attempt to diagnose cooling efficiency. Bios readings are also typically nothing associated with the real world of CPU temp. Most, if not all, of that software and BIOS are reading a thermistor in the "pit" in the bottom of the CPU socket or worse just on the board somewhere near the cpu, and are very inaccurate. Nvidia Monitor is a major exception. CoreTemp or Speedfan or Everest or any utility that actually reads the internal Digital Temp Sensor of the CPU is much preferred and much more accurate. Not to mention the ability to compare results with other people is valid because the measurement method is the same. It is easy to tell if what you are using to read temps is reading the DTS. Pull up your manuf POS software that gives *cough* CPU temps, load CoreTemp, load Orthos, start Orthos, CoreTemp temps will instantly, as in right the hell now, shoot up as the cpu goes to work. The other software will lag significantly. Let Orthos run 5 min, shut it down, you will see the same lag, CoreTemp drops like a rock, other methods lag.

There are literly hundreds of posts on this. Why someone would think that a temp provided by software that does not read the internal CPU DTS is "real" is beyond my comprehension and if that software has not been compared to CoreTemp or TAT for accuracy, in short, the readings are bullshit.

Ambient temp will of course greatly effect temps, look at the dates of some of those reviews, done in the summer in an air conditioned room with low humidity, Anandtech does HS evaluations with a low ambient temp and CoreTemp. Compare apples to apples is the moral of the story, or at least have a clue as to what you are reading.

. Room temperature is measured before beginning the cooler tests and is maintained in the 20 to 22C (68 to 72F) range for all testing.

If you are really interested, here is a method to read directly the register in the cpu containing the temp data and instuctions on how to convert it to deg C. I recommend the whole thread, a lot of work was done when the C2Ds came out to verify the DTS information.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031080147&postcount=5

don't say stupid shit, i applied it on both the cpu IHS and heatsink bottom surface. just gotta know how to work your paste, kid.

abiteq.jpg

Stupid shit would be someone who uses ABIT EQ to monitor thier temps... who's CPU temps dont read that low in ABIT EQ? I know mine does but Core Temp is much higher.

Stupid shit would be someone who uses ABIT EQ to monitor thier temps... who's CPU temps dont read that low in ABIT EQ? I know mine does but Core Temp is much higher.

No wait, let's make it even better, stupid shit is someone who decides to assume without fucking knowing what he's talking about. Yes, you!

I've checked my temps under Core Temp, BIOS, Speedfan and Abit EQ. Core Temp and Speedfan I used when I had Windows XP installed on this machine, now I don't bother with them considering I use Windows Vista64.

Boooyah!!!!!!!:D

No wait, let's make it even better, stupid shit is someone who decides to assume without fucking knowing what he's talking about. Yes, you!

I've checked my temps under Core Temp, BIOS, Speedfan and Abit EQ. Core Temp and Speedfan I used when I had Windows XP installed on this machine, now I don't bother with them considering I use Windows Vista64.

Boooyah!!!!!!!:D

Yes Yes, and you run your home at 50-55F... heard it all before. Booyah? What are you 10? We can just agree to disagree.

I dunno about you guys, but my goal isn't the lowest temps, but the most stable overclock.

That said, if you can do 36 hrs+ of prime at a room ambient of 28C with a closed piss poor ventilated case, then you can claim stable.

Just getting that "cool temp" is as useful as saying I posted at 4ghz into windows.

Agreed but in most cases cooler temps will get more stability at a higher OC or atleast allow you to push your voltage higher to get that higher stable OC.

Yes Yes, and you run your home at 50-55F... heard it all before. Booyah? What are you 10? We can just agree to disagree.

Booyah booyah booyah, oh brother, trust me, I am far from 10 years old! But I do not come here to talk about my personal history.

I also am not here to internet-fight with you, I am simply stating that maybe before assuming and thinking you're right, ask questions, be aware that questions asked, will be answered, so don't be shy :p

Booyah booyah booyah, oh brother, trust me, I am far from 10 years old! But I do not come here to talk about my personal history.

I also am not here to internet-fight with you, I am simply stating that maybe before assuming and thinking you're right, ask questions, be aware that questions asked, will be answered, so don't be shy :p

Awww...you got me Mr. 17C.

Thank you mr.jealous :p

haha you got me there.. anyone who is running 17C on air makez me jelous. Here is a shot of my Abit EQ. I got in the Abit forums and from what others are saying Abit EQ measures socket Temp not die temp like Core Temp does. You can see this in my idle shot. When I was stock clock it would idle at 19C with my Zalman 9700 I used to have. Im sure it would have been lower with this sink at stock clock. Core temp is higher.. im guessing core temp would read closer to low 30s for you as you stated you did not check it against core temp and you believed that BIOS and the motherboard software was the only accurate measuring tool. Refer to page 1 to see where you wrote this. Your 17C temp is correct in comparison to my 23C temp... but its not comparable to others using Core Temp. Read this whole thread... many ppl are already pointing this out.

temps.jpg

Back