thermalight 120 ultra

ryu4000

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
127
im looking into fans for the true cause all i got is the stock one would this one better air cooling Scythe SFF21F or maybe some other fan from new egg thanks for the advice
 
edit: I think I misunderstood you. Below I assume you got a stock fan for the TRUE but I now think you are saying that you have a TRUE and no fan for it and all you have is the stock intel heatsink fan ? If that is correct that scythe would be a fine fan with a good balance between performance and noise. The scythe is a 3 pin fan so your motherboard needs to have options for CPU fan speed control, check your manual, because the motherboard is expecting a 4 pin pwm controlled fan. If the motherboard bios has a setting like "legacy fan speed control" or "voltage fan speed control" for the cpu fan you are good. If not the fan will likely run at 100% all the time and make more noise than necessary.
------------------------------------------------
Why spend money if you do not have too ?

What are your temps now ? What equipment do you have ? (You might want to make a sig - go to the UserCP and edit your signature making a list of what cpu, motherboard, etc. etc. just the basics for now). Are you overclocking or want to OC later on ?

I am cheap, if the stock fan will do the trick I would not run out and blow $15+ on a fan that would not give you any benifits. It is nice to have a spare laying around.

Here are the specs on the stock fan for a TRUE
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex-1366rt/product_cpu_cooler_1366rt.html
Fan
Dimension: L120*W120*H25mm
Bearing type: FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing)
Rated Speed: 1600RPM
Noise Level: 28.0 dBA
Air Flow: 63.7CFM

Thats a pretty decent fan. Good quality, with a decent CFM at a low RPM which means it will push a fair amount of air without a lot of noise. If you do decide to buy another one make sure you get a higher rpm fan with a greater CFM otherwise you will not see any improvement in cooling.

------------------------------------------

The Scythe has the exact same specs and makes me wonder if the stock is not a scythe LOL.

Fan Size 120mm
Bearing Type S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation)
RPM 1600 RPM
Air Flow 63.7 CFM
Noise Level 28.0 dBA
Power Connector 3-pin (4-pin adaptor included)
Color Black

---------------------------------------------------

Thermalright now sells fans, notice how the rpms and CFM increase in the lineup.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/fan/product_tr_fdb_fan.html

The 1600 rpm seems to the the stock one used on the i7 version of the TRUE, so the 2000 rpm would be a high performance upgrade.



Any hope all this helps, if you dont have a fan that scythe will likely be very good.
 
sweet, wow an i7 (mutters "lucky bastid" under my breath) .

I edited my post with some more info. Bottom line if your HS came with a fan the scythe is almost exactly the same and would not be any improvement. If no fan the scythe is a good choice as it has the exact specs of the stock TRUE for the i7. If you want to upgrade/high performance look for a 2000 rpm fan.

Since I watercool I must admit I am not a big fan expert as I go for quiet low speed fans so hopefully some others here that use a lot of fans will have other ideas.

OMG if that is your load temps with coretemp etc. jeez you are sitting pretty. Very nice.
 
if i game my temps dont even hit 40 most it hit is 38 anyways thanks for the advice.
 
Back
Top