Thermal Paste Round Up Time! What you want to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the plain white goop from radio shack

That sounds dubious. lol
I got some "Cooler Master" TIM--"Thermal Compound Kit", actually, from Radio Shack. In quotes, because I can't find it on their website, and there's nothing more descriptive on the lable than that (already threw away the package, unfortunately). It works decent, but I haven't used anything else so I don't know how it compares.

I would love to see MX-4, GC-extreme and a few of the diamond ones. Maybe those new liquid metal options from coollabratory? those would be awesome : )

Yes to MX-4, I have a bunch of that lying around and I like it

Mx4, ic7 diamond, gc extreme, as5, ceramique, liquid ultra, not familiar with shin etsu but one of those as well

I would like to see Arctic Silver Ceramique 2, Deepcool Thermal Grease Z5, Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-2, Arctic Silver 5, GELID GC-Supreme, Deepcool Thermal Grease Z9, Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4 and GELID GC Extreme. These are the pastes available locally to me so it would be nice to see them compared. IN any case if even a few of them get tested i'll be happy.

American cheese!

I wouldn't mind seeing the now presumably venerable Arctic Silver 5, just to see how it compares to the newer stuff!

I'd like to see how TX-2 compares to newer stuff (including TX-4) - been using TX-2 for like 4 years+ now and it seems to working fine still.

Last time I bought some I used Arctic Ceramique 2, it's like once I put paste on and everything's good I completely forget about it.

Antec Formula 7 would be interesting to see.

Mostly cause I was lazy and bought it at frys to replace my 5+ year old tubes of AS5 and ceramique

Oh and the ECHO hedge trimmer gearbox lube I am using on the pentium 4 in my office at the shop.

From power supplies to amplifiers that I've scratch-built, including any CPU install I've done, Thermalcote is all I've ever used. It seems like any sensible review should consider ROI of the product being reviewed. Arctic Silver 5 is about $2.57 per gram, while that Thermalcote is $0.19 per gram. How do Arctic Silver 5 buyers recoup the cost? Is it just that the incremental cost doesn't matter compared to the rest of the build?

Well, when you don't need to keep re-applying, 2Oz (1/4-cup) is quite a bit. If for the same price you can get less of something that supposedly works better, then why not? Of course, I don't know how well Thermalcote works, and I just got the cheap radioshack gunk; it may very well be a better value, worth a shot? lol

hat supposedly works better, then why not? Of course, I don't know how well Thermalcote works, and I just got the cheap radioshack gunk; it may very well be a better value, worth a shot? lol
Because it doesn't actually work better. Determining what works better (or not) is the point of the proposed test, isn't it?

Has this TIM roundup happened yet? I missed it if it did. If it hasn't and is still going to happen I have a few ideas from looking around for a new TIM myself lately.

First, some general comments. From what I've seen in forums around the web, there are many unofficial consensuses that Gelid GC Extreme is the best thing going now as far as traditional TIM's - not metals or other exotic/extreme solutions. Most people are using that, MX-4, NT-H1, PK-3, IC7, a few use Shin-Etsu etc. The Luddites of the crowd are still loudly proclaiming AS5 the only TIM that will ever matter ;)

I'd really like to see the better current pastes that I just listed as well as a few others thrown together for a showdown. I like the idea of testing Intel and AMD separately, and video cards are another test that you could run if you're putting that much effort into it. I know that's a lot of work, but it's really invaluable to the community, we really appreciate that you do these kinds of things when you benchmark, and nobody has done a good TIM roundup for a while. A generic paste thrown in for control is a very good idea to see what the extra money gives as well. Overall performance on Intel, AMD, and video cards as well as combined would be awesome information to have available.

Also, is air vs water performance relevant here? What about convex or flat bottomed coolers? I've just wondered if thermal paste interacts differently enough to be relevant under these or other different circumstances.

The more intense liquid metal and related solutions would be nice to see compared as well, but are a whole different ballgame altogether. Not only do we already know that they will give us better temps, but there are many other considerations when using these such as their permanence, etc... While I'd like to see these results just to see them, I'm sure others here use them and would appreciate them much more straightforwardly.

Bottom line is that I hope this gets or got done because there have been some new TIM's since any major roundup by a good site, and I'd love to see the [H] take on it!

Feel free to give me a screen slap if I just totally missed it and wrote all that for nothing o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back