Theater Owners Are Furious About Netflix’s New Movie

Political correctness is the worst thing that ever happened. Sugar coating everything, like it's the best thing ever. It's lying to ourselves, and the newer generation grows up actually living that lie, and results in their utter ignorance.
Some of what people call political correctness is just good old-fashion politeness.

Here's a quote from Robert Heinlein:
A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.

The cinema experience hasn't improved where I've went to, except for the increased price of tickets and food.

There are so much wrong with the technology used in cinemas as it is. The cost to make them better is not the issue either. They could actually profit if they do it right.

Occasionally, I'll go to the cinema for specific films. If it wouldn't be for the high expense, it would be more often. Sometimes, I'll re-watch them on Netflix, borrow from a friend, rent from various locations, or even buy it if I enjoyed it.

Really, these companies are paranoid and too selfish to change or improve their outlets. Let them weep and walk away.

Netflix is targeting various audiences and they are examining new boundaries. These outlets should do the same, we are no longer in the 80s. And even then, there were on-demand new release TV channels that cost less than Netflix. It's nothing new.

Well now it's time for theater owners to put up or shut up... how often do they go on about that "movie experience" that can't be replicated outside of a movie theater?

That said never heard of this movie before today. Has there been much in the way of promoting it? No? Then why are theater owners getting their panties in a twist? I'd refuse to show it just because I've never so much as heard of the movie before.

Yeah, I really miss the theatre experience.

Overpriced food
Misbehaving children
People messing with their phones rather than watching the movie
People kicking your seat

Also given how "cheap" big TVs have become, you can have a pretty good home-theater experience all year round @ home.

My setup is only 55" LED in the living room but with 5.1 audio - it's more than good enough for 99% of the movies we like. We'll still spend the money on the big blockbusters just because of the theater IMAX experience though, so there not losing my patronage in that space just yet.

You know what might help? A free copy of the Blu Ray or DVD of the movie you just saw as you leave the theater.

LOL never happen.

It will happen after you spend at least $80 on food. That's what they do for those other collectible items. ;)

It's time for the theatres to embrace e-sports. Show the games on the big screen, but also setup the seats so players can also play their own matches against each other.

Also have lots of Mountain Dew and Dorittos available at a premium price. Instant profit!

Part of the issue is the whole movie industry is messed up because only the big wigs on top profit. Theatres don't even make much money off movies, they only make money off the expensive snacks. That's why they're so expensive. Stuff needs to change to give more freedom to the theatres. They should also be allowed to rent theatres out for people to put on their own movie from their own media, or game console etc... but I would imagine they have contracts that prohibit them from doing that. They could make good money if they could rent them out. Heck, I could see companies renting them for presentations or what not. Basically turn the theatres into more than just a place to go watch movie, but a place to host stuff that requires a lot of seats and a big screen.

I completely agree with you. The cinemas has various regulations that stops them to expend with new content. However, those that take a step further to find other content that doesn't have those restrictions usually strive -- depending on the local audience --.

We had a cinema that would show films that doesn't play anymore at the higher priced cinema. So if you missed a new release during that grace period, you could watch it at a lower cost a couple weeks later. They also showed locally produced film, which was neat. But sadly, they faced other issues and thus no long exist.

Modern movie theaters are like modern print, 70% of the content is ads.

If your local theater serves beer, it is a good theater.

I miss the silence and no commercials before the movie. Used to be nothing came on, before the actual movie previews. Now I am subjected to fucking ads for 20 minutes if I get there that early. I generally only watch IMAX movies in the theater. Last movie I went to was Jurassic World for that reason. And my boy really wanted to see it.

I do enjoy the local drive in though. But not for graphic/sound intensive movies. It is nice being in your own car, having your own kinda drink. Without people all around you being annoying.

This movie is 4K too right? Even more reason to watch it at home.

Political correctness is a fad IMO... I see nothing wrong with calling things as I see them. I'm not a racist, I'm an equal opportunity racist I hate everyone equally for the stupid shit they do.

Example: the word retarded, I don't care who you are, how powerful, or how rich, I will use that word till the day I die because it's useful on so many levels. The idea that some busybody asshat can just one day *decide* that a perfectly good word isn't acceptable anymore? Nope, doesn't work that way. I call a spade a spade, and it makes life far more efficient that way.

You may be my favorite poster on [H], without a doubt. I was in tears when I read the first page of this thread, all thanks to you. Co-workers were wondering if I was on some of "that stuff".

I rarely go to the movie theatres cause of the "theatre experience", the cost, and dealing with getting there.

The last 3 movies I have gone to see. Fast and Furious 7 (this year), Shaun of the Dead (I think 2003), and Scary Movie (I think 2000). Luckily, FF7 was in a German theatre, and Shaun of the Dead was in a British theatre. Scary Movie was in Colorado Springs, I hated that.

I would love to see the US make theatres more like the overseas ones, where the viewing room fits at most 100-150 people. The one in Colorado Springs, that bastard could easily fit a couple thousand ppl.

Back