Theater Owners Are Furious About Netflix’s New Movie

cant wait for the day when movies come via something like netflix when they are released in theaters. Some movies like Avengers, Star Wars, etc stuff like that would still go to the theaters but many movies I would rather watch at home lol

Sure, i love going to the movies, even in Costa Rica with waiter service for $15, to then watch 15-20 mins of "TV" commercials and bullshit ads before the movie...

Sorry F*** you theaters, you want to give me the "experience" vs the "reach around" ditch the crap "commercials" and stick to "trailters" and the movie, otherwise, you won't get a penny out of me..

Only reason I haven't been going to the theaters myself lately is that there really hasn't been any decent movies that I wanted to see. When I do go though, it's the Lux level at this theater here:

https://www.showcasecinemas.com/the...de-lux-patriot-place/foxboro/ma?tab=showtimes

Yeah it costs about $25 for one ticket but you get a drink voucher for $5 with the ticket. It's 18+ only too. You can drink beer/wine/whatever, eat dinner, get served right at your chair (which is more like a lay-z-boy than a theater seat) and watch the movie without having to deal with the other BS that goes on at a general cinema. The only real downside is that it's attached to Gillette Stadium. If there's a game or concert going on it's a bitch getting in and out of there. :/

I haven't been there in about a year though. Lately Hollywood hasn't been putting out anything that I'd want to watch. Netflix streaming hasn't much better either lately either.

The only movie theater I would go to is the 21+ cinebarre with a beer and food menu... But I haven't been in years, rather just wait and watch it at home omln the projector and pour my own beers I have on tap.

Curzon theaters in the UK are happily playing Beasts starting next week. In fact, they have adopted the model a lot of other theaters should be following: a bit more expensive for tickets, but luxurious seating, excellent concessions (at not ridiculous prices) in a bar-like atmosphere, and live-streaming event of plays, musicals and sports events. Further, they don't limit themselves like other "upscale" theaters from playing only "arthouse" films, but show anything as long as it's got decent reviews and word of mouth. It's a proper "movie experience", IMO.

Me & my wife still go to the theaters at least once every few months. Living in NYC, we also tend to take in around two Broadway plays a year. I'm all about sitting at home, cooking a nice meal with my wife & selecting something to watch on Netflix or one of many multiple services that we have access to. Still, it does not replace the movie going experience. Sure, it is overpriced but unless you're rocking a minimum wage job, $40+ is not going to hurt you at all.

It took awhile for me to break my addiction to theatres. The general problem was that there was always some epic movie coming out and if I didnt watch it, I'd have nothing to watch until it came out on bluray or whatever. So all I had to do was just miss like 3-6 months of solid movies in the theaters and now I have a whole lineup of premiers waiting to watch at home just like others wait for theaters. Sure I'm lagging behind everyone else but I dont care, now I watch movies with a beer and pizza on my awesome living room couch, cuddling and gabbing with the g/f whenever we please, pausing if she needs to take a piss, etc.

As much as I do actually like to (and very often do) go to the theater to watch a movie. I would still say, "suck it up and adapt."

They would make more money just showing the damn film regardless of where it came from, it is a fools and a losers endeavor to resist this particular culture shift.

It sounds like some of you never heard of Matinee showtimes or happy hours. Here it cost 5.50 a ticket for those, also they have $3 drink AND popcorn on Tuesdays...

Some of us work during the week, also I've lived in 3 states the past 6 years and I haven't seen matinee pricing below $12 I'm any of them.

"The movie experience" is exactly why I haven't been to a theater in years, YEARS i tell you.

Once you accept your butt rape and buy a ticket, then fork over 30 more dollars for drinks/popcorn/candy, you get the full experience of people yelling at the screen, kids running around all over the place, and selfish fat fucks who still don't know how to mute their cell phones.

There's only one thing the movie industry can do to win me back... blowjobs. Yup, you want me to spend that much money, you get some 18 to 35 year old woman in there in front of me on her knees and blow me for at least 20% of the movie and I'll put up with all the other shit happily.

There are bars in China that have adopted this business model. The BJ is free as long as you stay seated and keep ordering drinks. Can't say how I know...

I will say that they should at least give theaters a little bit of a lead. Not the normal 3-6 months, but at least one month. If you want it to be in theaters you can't be giving it away "for free" to millions of people and expect people to go see it

Why should content providers and content consumers be forced to wait to get the product they want, to prop up a failing business? If the business offers something and at the price people are willing to pay, there is no reason for this, anything else is welfare.

"The movie experience" is exactly why I haven't been to a theater in years, YEARS i tell you.

Once you accept your butt rape and buy a ticket, then fork over 30 more dollars for drinks/popcorn/candy, you get the full experience of people yelling at the screen, kids running around all over the place, and selfish fat fucks who still don't know how to mute their cell phones.

There's only one thing the movie industry can do to win me back... blowjobs. Yup, you want me to spend that much money, you get some 18 to 35 year old woman in there in front of me on her knees and blow me for at least 20% of the movie and I'll put up with all the other shit happily.

That depends on the location, the place I go is nice, drinks and food are still high, but not as bad as some places, they have really good food and drinks, they have a custom ice cream shop inside that makes some wild flavors, they have a full restaurant, and bar, they also have a person who helps people find their seats (all reserved seating), who also stays there for the whole movie and removes people who break out their phones etc, and they respond very fast if you report something.

I feel like going to the movies is like going to the airport and flying on a plane.

-It's expensive, including food and drinks.

-Lots of waiting in line.

-You have to work you whole schedule around it, and waste tons of time getting there as early as possible to get a good seat.

-You don't have any control over the experience.

-You have to deal with tons of obnoxious people.

Now, add in HD and large widescreen TVs and that would be like a commonly available 300Mph car. You can bet a lot fewer people would fly.

-It's often cheaper, and you can serve your own beverages.

-Never waiting in line for anything.

-Can operate on your own schedule, including being able to stop and eat, use bathroom, etc.

-No having to get up close and personal with obnoxious people.

Large movie theater scenes were cool back when we were all using non-widescreen NTSC interlaced TV sets. Back when it was common to chop significant amounts of the movie off the sides when it was released to video, and no one cared because the experience was so mediocre to begin with. Now, the novelty value of the movie theater experience no longer exists (maybe if you are a poor family with no TV). The only thing they have left is the artificial product segmentation in the sense of movies not coming to video until 6 months later. They are only hurting themselves though. At this point, I'm happy to wait 6 extra months... but many times when the movie does eventually come out on video, it almost seems irrelevant already. Give people who don't go to theaters anymore a chance to see it when it's actually new and I can't imagine sales going anywhere but up.

iMax aside, the "movie experience" is just hype.

I enjoy iMax, but I have to travel 60 miles to see it.

In the middle of nowhere, where I live, we have one theatre complex of 10 theatres.
It's very crowded on the days I can go....read I work during the week.....the place is not clean, and people are just ignorant and inconsiderate.

How many times have you had your "experience" fucked up by some dumbass who just can't live without his/her text messages or stupid selfies at the theatre?

I'll wait for the movie to come out at home. My place, my time.

I applaud Netflix for essentially telling theatres to get in line or go home.

Why should content providers and content consumers be forced to wait to get the product they want, to prop up a failing business? If the business offers something and at the price people are willing to pay, there is no reason for this, anything else is welfare.
The problem is the content providers need to change their model too, movie theaters don't make much money with ticket prices, that's almost all going back to the company making the movie, unless the movie is so popular it lasts many many weeks most of the money they make is from concessions. It's kind of like FOX paying the NFL money to show football games, now all of a sudden here's the NFL saying we're going to also show games online, do you think that FOX maybe should get a discount on how much they pay for said games?

Change the model so that the movie gets 50% of the ticket sales even on opening night, and they'll probably complain less about getting a "head start"

Clapping.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

Hahaha. That is a multi-billion dollar idea sir. :D

Although, that's what theaters were for when I was in high school. Find the worst movie that was playing at the time, sit down in the completely empty theater and have a nice uninterrupted blowjob with some nice ambient light and sound in the background.

Teenagers and cell phones are why I go to the theater maybe once every 12-18 months. Can't fucking stand either of them when I'm trying to enjoy a movie. I don't mind the prices. I loved going in high school, but I probably didn't care what was happening around me then.

So some mega huge corporations that got that way by eating up all the independent theater owner are mad that they can no longer demand special attention? F 'em, I have zero sympathy for them. Also how many actually have Netflix? 40-45 million in the US. So what about the other 400 million in the US? Maybe you theaters might want to go after that business. Or you can sit there whining and getting pissy cause you got to put forth some effort.

That depends on the location, the place I go is nice, drinks and food are still high, but not as bad as some places, they have really good food and drinks, they have a custom ice cream shop inside that makes some wild flavors, they have a full restaurant, and bar, they also have a person who helps people find their seats (all reserved seating), who also stays there for the whole movie and removes people who break out their phones etc, and they respond very fast if you report something.

I think this is the only way theaters will survive, if they still want to bring in the same revenue as they do now they need to offer more to add value to their experience. Food and drinks that you actually enjoy is the only logical step. Anyone can build a home theater for cheap nowadays and get nearly the same experience. Ticket prices have increased to an untenable level the same as dvds and blue rays did. Netflix and it's popularity is a symptom of this.

The problem is the content providers need to change their model too, movie theaters don't make much money with ticket prices, that's almost all going back to the company making the movie, unless the movie is so popular it lasts many many weeks most of the money they make is from concessions. It's kind of like FOX paying the NFL money to show football games, now all of a sudden here's the NFL saying we're going to also show games online, do you think that FOX maybe should get a discount on how much they pay for said games?

Change the model so that the movie gets 50% of the ticket sales even on opening night, and they'll probably complain less about getting a "head start"

Never said it was just them, there are many content providers like Netflix that will do it differently. The other big names however are hurting them selves by holding back content that people want.

I think this is the only way theaters will survive, if they still want to bring in the same revenue as they do now they need to offer more to add value to their experience. Food and drinks that you actually enjoy is the only logical step. Anyone can build a home theater for cheap nowadays and get nearly the same experience. Ticket prices have increased to an untenable level the same as dvds and blue rays did. Netflix and it's popularity is a symptom of this.

Indeed, another plus to the location I go to are the screen sizes, and great audio, they also have in house IMAX. Funny thing is the IMAX here is only a buck or two more than the normal AMC down the road, that AMC also charges more for drinks and popcorn, I can get an actual food order and drink from the one I go to for the price of drink and popcorn at AMC.

I also watch ALLOT at home, you know, all those linux distros. But I am also the type that if I find a GOOD MOVIE, rare these days I know, I go and see it in theaters. Funny thing is, in some cases I don't feel like going out, and if they had the movie on Amazon or netflix, I would GLADLY pay to see it ontop of my sub (I have a sub to all of the streaming services). It's not that people don't want to pay, it's that people want the content how and when they want, sometimes they want it at a theater, other times its right now at 1am in the morning at home in bed.

Didn't read all four pages but I think this paragraph illustrates the theatre owner's point best:

Corcoran says that theater owners commit marketing, time, and theater space to screening movies, which leaves little incentive to show a film that people can already watch for less money at home. In fact, any marketing theaters did to help promote the movie could even lead to more people watching at home.

Once they start making wall sized and affordable oled screens, I'm done with theaters. I give it 15 years.

By a projector and a screen. Screens are cheap.

Some of us work during the week, also I've lived in 3 states the past 6 years and I haven't seen matinee pricing below $12 I'm any of them.

That is just where you have lived then. Even full price I have never paid that much. I have been to Alamo Draft House theaters in Austin, Dallas, Kansas City and Kalamazoo and even at full price (none matinee) they are less than $10. Cinemark near me and the few others around the USA I have been to have all been less than that. Think the only way I have paid $12 is going to see a none matinee 3D movie or IMAX.

Alamo Drafthouse. I don't see movies in other theaters.

I live a few hours from one so don't get to go to them as much as I would like, but do every time I get a chance. That is a great way to watch a movie.

The question comes down to do you want people to see the movie in theaters or not? That is what a lot of you are over looking here in this case. You can bitch and cry like a child about how much theaters suck and all that but you overlook one very important factor. Money. MONEY is why movies are made, not to make you feel good, but for the companies to make money. Look at a service such as Directv Cinema. For select movies you can rent them at home on Directv the same day they hit theaters. And that is fine as they charge you money, think about $15 or $20 to rend said movie so they are still making money off of you. Now lets look at this case. Not every single case of every single movie, BUT just look at the single case here. Netflix creates a full movie and then THEY decided to try to get it into theaters. This would only be done for one reason. They want more people to see the movie than their customers and make more money off of it. However look at this now from the standpoint of the theater owners. A very large part of the population subscribe to Netflix or are using somebody else's account. They have almost 70 million subscribers. So if this movie goes on Netflix streaming and hits theaters on the same day then you have 70 million people who already have access to watch it. There is no reason for these people to now pay to go see it in theaters. So as a theater own you have two choices, offer to show the movie and waste a screen on a movie that you might be lucky and get 10 people a day since most would already have access to the movie. Or you go for option 2 which is say you are not going to waste a screen on the movie and instead show one that you can actually get people to pay to watch. Given that they have to pay for the movie to show it, Option 1 makes no sense as why do something that you know from the start is going to make you lose money. So they all made the right choice there in not showing the movie. However that doesn't help Netflix make money on the movie as they already have your money, you are paying for their service. So their only way to make money off of this is to get it into theaters and sell it on digital and physical media. Which if they truly want to go the theater route the only way that will ever happen is to not cannibalize the showing by giving it away for free at the same time. They need to stagger it at least a small amount. That is the real issue here, it is the fact that Netflix is giving the movie away for free and then also hoping that theaters will buy the movie to show (the part that you guys don't understand sets the price in many areas) and hopes that you will not watch the free version you have but instead will pay to go see it. There wouldn't be a problem here if this was a paid to rent at home movie, there are a number of those a year. The problem is the giving it away for free while hoping that theaters will show the movie and be able to get people to come see it.

Idris is the MAN, and when the traditional studios and by extension the cinemas shunned him as "too street" (ie too black) to play James Bond, the last bit of give a fuck I had for them went out the window.

Watched this last night, and what a movie. +100, you should all see it.

Anyone can build a home theater for cheap nowadays and get nearly the same experience.

Yeah I'm going to seriously disagree with this statement here, at least the "for cheap" condition that's on it, or your definition of cheap differs greatly than mine.

Part of the issue is the whole movie industry is messed up because only the big wigs on top profit. Theatres don't even make much money off movies, they only make money off the expensive snacks. That's why they're so expensive. Stuff needs to change to give more freedom to the theatres. They should also be allowed to rent theatres out for people to put on their own movie from their own media, or game console etc... but I would imagine they have contracts that prohibit them from doing that. They could make good money if they could rent them out. Heck, I could see companies renting them for presentations or what not. Basically turn the theatres into more than just a place to go watch movie, but a place to host stuff that requires a lot of seats and a big screen.

One of the theaters closest to me just made headlines for a bedbug problem. It's also been rumored that the management has known about it for almost a year now and done nothing about it. I don't have any sympathy for that particular theater. Not at all. I honestly hope it closes.

Modern movie theaters are like modern print, 70% of the content is ads.

If your local theater serves beer, it is a good theater.

I rarely go to theaters. I have probably seen 3 movies in the last 2 years which is a pretty big increase since the Maxtrix 2 came out.

The last one was The Martian here very recently. $35 for two tickets and $47 for in theater for just me and my brother. Shit is out of control.

You forgot stepping in puke, sitting on wet seats that drinks were spilled on and bed bugs.

It's like watching a movie in a dark restroom of a gas station in some hodunk place in the desert. With people clapping as if the cast and production crew is actually there. Makes me want to yell shut the buck up.

I feel like you and Crosshairs should get together... You could discuss shopping and movie watching. ;)

I stopped going to to the movies when I had a kid. If I have a day off when he's in school I may go....but don't look forward to paying (with wite):

$24 in ticket
$30-$60 in babysitting money
$20-$30 in concessions

(and if my wife wants to watch Brazilian/indie films)
75 min each way of driving to downtown chicago
$10-$20 for parking, maybe more
an additional $45 in babysitting money.

Going to see one Brazilian film in downtown Chicago can easily cost us north of $150.

No thanks.

Political correctness is a fad IMO... I see nothing wrong with calling things as I see them. I'm not a racist, I'm an equal opportunity racist I hate everyone equally for the stupid shit they do.

Example: the word retarded, I don't care who you are, how powerful, or how rich, I will use that word till the day I die because it's useful on so many levels. The idea that some busybody asshat can just one day *decide* that a perfectly good word isn't acceptable anymore? Nope, doesn't work that way. I call a spade a spade, and it makes life far more efficient that way.

Political correctness is the worst thing that ever happened. Sugar coating everything, like it's the best thing ever. It's lying to ourselves, and the newer generation grows up actually living that lie, and results in their utter ignorance.

I go to see a movie a few times a year with the lady. We buy tickets in costco for a discount and never have bought any food or snacks in the theater. Just go, watch movie, and leave.

Idris is the MAN, and when the traditional studios and by extension the cinemas shunned him as "too street" (ie too black) to play James Bond, the last bit of give a fuck I had for them went out the window.

Watched this last night, and what a movie. +100, you should all see it.

Well, Idris does hold the flying mile land speed record for driving a mile at an average 180mph+ in a souped up Bentley which automatically qualifies him as being one of the cooler people on the planet before even considering all he rest of the stuff he's good at and great movies/shows he's been in.

It sounds like some of you never heard of Matinee showtimes or happy hours. Here it cost 5.50 a ticket for those, also they have $3 drink AND popcorn on Tuesdays...

When one is talking about a large area, ones mileage may vary. Just because you have a local Theater which offers such amenities does not mean that everyone does. The other issue is different chains handle matinee showtimes differently...Classically, in my neck of the woods, they try to never offer newer movies in that window.

Then you must consider that different theaters have different crowds. One might tend to talk and have children..while another might have a good crowd.

As long as there are high school kids that need date-place options, there will be a market for theatres. For the rest of us... not so much.

3/4 of the actual ticket cost goes back to the movie studios. Almost all theater profits come from the concessions. You can buy a Blu-ray disk of a movie now for less than the cost of going to the movie and not have to put up with anyone else and can even microwave your own popcorn for less than 50 cents.

Back