The Xbox One is done

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

Supposed MS employee talking about the complete 180 and why it was a bad idea.

A few things;

• He believes the used game market is killing the industry
  • Family Sharing Plan was amazing
  • Talks about the Xbox Social Home Screen
  • Mentions Sony's share plan?
  • Calls the PS4 the 360 v.2

The used industry is a legitimate argument with games and I am sure it is not just 5% of the industry that believes it as it is probably a lot more than that. However this is an old debate which has been covered countless times.

The other issues I just have to delve into though. Sony and Microsoft both wanted to target the social space and it looks like they went completely different routes. Sony basically looks to have just integrated already established Facebook and Twitter, while Microsoft aimed much much higher. They wanted a gaming centric social community all based around the Xbox One. I am excited to see how these play out, but considering I don't care about social sites I would think I am not alone.

They keep talking about their family share plan like it was awesome but I fail to see how. PSN+ currently allows you to try 1 hr trials of many full games already NOT based on who you know. I am confident Sony will try and push to have all games use the 1hr "demo". How is their plan better? You have to pay for both, one is cheaper and allows you to download whatever you want to demo where the other only allows you to download and try other peoples games you just so happen to be friends with. Why do they keep harping on this? It's a point blank, nail in the coffin, ass kicking and a service that simple fails to compete.

What Sony share plan? Loan discs?

Calling the PS4 a 360v2 was pretty funny, though I guess he has a point. It's exactly what a new console should be. A much more powerful device with new ways to play and thats it. Not something with a ton of half assed ideas that fail to get off the ground. Considering the success of the 360 in North America I will accept that apparent insult knowing the PS3's dominance everywhere else in the world.

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

Supposed MS employee talking about the complete 180 and why it was a bad idea.

A few things;

• He believes the used game market is killing the industry
  • Family Sharing Plan was amazing
  • Talks about the Xbox Social Home Screen
  • Mentions Sony's share plan?
  • Calls the PS4 the 360 v.2

The used industry is a legitimate argument with games and I am sure it is not just 5% of the industry that believes it as it is probably a lot more than that. However this is an old debate which has been covered countless times.

The other issues I just have to delve into though. Sony and Microsoft both wanted to target the social space and it looks like they went completely different routes. Sony basically looks to have just integrated already established Facebook and Twitter, while Microsoft aimed much much higher. They wanted a gaming centric social community all based around the Xbox One. I am excited to see how these play out, but considering I don't care about social sites I would think I am not alone.

They keep talking about their family share plan like it was awesome but I fail to see how. PSN+ currently allows you to try 1 hr trials of many full games already NOT based on who you know. I am confident Sony will try and push to have all games use the 1hr "demo". How is their plan better? You have to pay for both, one is cheaper and allows you to download whatever you want to demo where the other only allows you to download and try other peoples games you just so happen to be friends with. Why do they keep harping on this? It's a point blank, nail in the coffin, ass kicking and a service that simple fails to compete.

What Sony share plan? Loan discs?

Calling the PS4 a 360v2 was pretty funny, though I guess he has a point. It's exactly what a new console should be. A much more powerful device with new ways to play and thats it. Not something with a ton of half assed ideas that fail to get off the ground. Considering the success of the 360 in North America I will accept that apparent insult knowing the PS3's dominance everywhere else in the world.

Honestly that guy sounds like a complete fucking moron. LOL, its like anytime a Microsoft employee speaks out lately we get to see that great people they have working behind them

I think a better approach would have been to initially market the XBOX 1 as the best gaming console that ever was and then gradually implement their vision in a more subtle fashion over time. Let it sink in slowly rather than beating us over the head with it right from jump. .

Like Germany in the 1930's

tumblr_m3dew2i3Sh1qfw2dno1_400.gif

Honestly that guy sounds like a complete fucking moron. LOL, its like anytime a Microsoft employee speaks out lately we get to see that great people they have working behind them

Its a not real developer. The guy writing the code could not give less of a shit. Its all just sales people and managers.

I'm imagining spending 6 months building a family sharing demo whatever and they tell me

"hey turns out were not gonna go with the thing we made you write."

"Ok, I'm gonna go get high."

If I was working on HL3 and they canceled it I'd be upset but this is like telling me I'm not gonna go do that install in Wyoming I spent a month planning out. Oh fucking well life goes on.

I wasn't alive when the xbox one existed... nope, it doesn't exist.... uh.... what?

*disappears into field of strawberries*

Its a not real developer. The guy writing the code could not give less of a shit. Its all just sales people and managers.

I'm imagining spending 6 months building a family sharing demo whatever and they tell me

"hey turns out were not gonna go with the thing we made you write."

"Ok, I'm gonna go get high."

If I was working on HL3 and they canceled it I'd be upset but this is like telling me I'm not gonna go do that install in Wyoming I spent a month planning out. Oh fucking well life goes on.

It's kind of a delusion that people give themselves to convince them to keep doing their job. Even if their project is a terrible idea, they try to do mental gymnastics to justify it. It's a common occurance, and I think it's related to how people justify their purchases with the sunken cost fallacy and so on. It's kind of a survival "Sour Grapes" mechanism.

It's kind of a delusion that people give themselves to convince them to keep doing their job. Even if their project is a terrible idea, they try to do mental gymnastics to justify it. It's a common occurance, and I think it's related to how people justify their purchases with the sunken cost fallacy and so on. It's kind of a survival "Sour Grapes" mechanism.

I do get it. Even I get peeved when I put work into a project that's cancelled. I just honestly believe thats not the case here. Ive worked on projects like this that got cancelled and it would never justify a whiny internet rant.

I do get it. Even I get peeved when I put work into a project that's cancelled. I just honestly believe thats not the case here. Ive worked on projects like this that got cancelled and it would never justify a whiny internet rant.

Yeah, but then again not everyone else is like you. Some people are personally offended at something that you wouldn't think twice about. In addition, most projects aren't cancelled because of people on the internet complaining and ridiculing your project. I mean, I don't know what you work on, but it's not too big of a leap for a developer on the DRM to place the blame on the internet itself for the cancellation of their project.

Yeah, but then again not everyone else is like you. Some people are personally offended at something that you wouldn't think twice about. In addition, most projects aren't cancelled because of people on the internet complaining and ridiculing your project. I mean, I don't know what you work on, but it's not too big of a leap for a developer on the DRM to place the blame on the internet itself for the cancellation of their project.

Honestly, if you work on a project that harms millions of people, like making cigarettes, you shouldn't be complaining about people hating your project.

Honestly, if you work on a project that harms millions of people, like making cigarettes, you shouldn't be complaining about people hating your project.

Maybe, but people delude themselves into thinking that their product really isn't bad all the time. I had to do phone support for AOL for a while, and so I wouldn't get depressed, I kept telling myself that the product wasn't THAT bad. Of course, then the tech support company I was with lost the AOL contract, I was pretty damn ecstatic.

Maybe, but people delude themselves into thinking that their product really isn't bad all the time. I had to do phone support for AOL for a while, and so I wouldn't get depressed, I kept telling myself that the product wasn't THAT bad. Of course, then the tech support company I was with lost the AOL contract, I was pretty damn ecstatic.

AO HELL

Just more fuel for the fire link. No headset included with the x1 and of course it's proprietary unlike ps4.

Holy crap did microsoft just invent a 30-pound smartphone that has to be plugged in all the time but on the plus side also functions as a VCR?

Oh snap and you can control it by waving your hands around in the air? Who needs tactile feedback?

Here's my $500. Just take it. One day you might even make games for it? Damn son.

Last edited:
Don't take me for a M$ supporter, but why would you need a headset with kinect?

Because you don't use the kinect to replace a dentist's office. At least not yet. You never know with that tree-fruit envy MS has these days.

I personal play my games loudly with surround sound... don't know how well that would work with kinect essentially when it would be sitting on top of one of my speakers.

I personal play my games loudly with surround sound... don't know how well that would work with kinect essentially when it would be sitting on top of one of my speakers.

Kinect does active noise cancellation, which is why it works even when games/tv is on.

Kinect is actually pretty advanced tech, it's a shame more games don't use it. And it can be used for a lot more than games.

Microsoft: "It's not just a game console, it's a tablet where the display is sold separately!"

Microsoft: "Hey guys, it REALLY IS a media-center now. We just can't tell you why yet."

Microsoft: "Sad when you come home and have to charge your smartphone? Dat's why we made xbox ONE!"

Microsoft: "Xbox ONE starring Jet Li and directed by James Wong.... wait no sorry wrong Wikipedia page. Xbox ONE because ONE > 3 > 4"

Microsoft: "We kinect customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever kinect with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to kinect customer data we don't kinect in it."

Microsoft: "Remember that red ring of death? Now if only the wifi antennae stops working or our servers go down you can't play your games thanks to our new DRM features (that we highlighted at E3). Oh wait that one really doesn't sound good.... JAY KAY GUYS JAY KAY!"

Microsoft: "Who would WANT to be BACKWARDS compatible?"

Microsoft: "We're proud to announce that one of our new features is a built-in blu-ray player!!"

Last edited:
Microsoft: "It's not just a game console, it's a tablet where the display is sold separately!"

Microsoft: "Hey guys, it REALLY IS a media-center now. We just can't tell you why yet."

Microsoft: "Sad when you come home and have to charge your smartphone? Dat's why we made xbox ONE!"

Microsoft: "Xbox ONE starring Jet Li and directed by James Wong.... wait no sorry wrong Wikipedia page. Xbox ONE because ONE > 3 > 4"

Microsoft: "We kinect customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever kinect with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to kinect customer data we don't kinect in it."

Microsoft: "Remember that red ring of death? Now if only the wifi antennae stops working or our servers go down you can't play your games thanks to our new DRM features (that we highlighted at E3). Oh wait that one really doesn't sound good.... JAY KAY GUYS JAY KAY!"

Microsoft: "Who would WANT to be BACKWARDS compatible?"

Microsoft: "We're proud to announce that one of our new features is a built-in blu-ray player!!"

Lol it looks so bad when you lay it all out like that

Sheesh, if the windows kinect sensor is $400, there's no way putting a usb port on the end was very expensive so if they had only left that out of the xbone, it could have come in at $200-$300 and decimated sony. Way to drop the ball MS.

Sheesh, if the windows kinect sensor is $400, there's no way putting a usb port on the end was very expensive so if they had only left that out of the xbone, it could have come in at $200-$300 and decimated sony. Way to drop the ball MS.

That's the Windows Kinect Sensor Dev kit. That's not the price of the production sensor.

That's the Windows Kinect Sensor Dev kit. That's not the price of the production sensor.

If they want to entice people to create games on their system, wouldn't they sell dev kits at or near cost? Visual Studio is extremely cheap after all and isn't directx sdk free?

If they want to entice people to create games on their system, wouldn't they sell dev kits at or near cost? Visual Studio is extremely cheap after all and isn't directx sdk free?

If I recall, people seemed pretty gung-ho about developing for the standard Kinect for non-game applications, and I bet Microsoft is hoping for the same thing again.

Also, I'd imagine these devices are probably still around the prototype stage, and likely have a lot of technical documentation and tools about using the sensors and such.

Back