The Witcher

Yeah Using 1.1a. I figured it out though, must be a bug. as a last resort I set everything to low,then increased each setting to high until i found it. Surprisingly turning grass to off fixes it. Pretty strange, but whatever I now have it at 1440x900, 4xAA, 16xAF everything on high but Grass.. What the fuck??

Yeah Using 1.1a. I figured it out though, must be a bug. as a last resort I set everything to low,then increased each setting to high until i found it. Surprisingly turning grass to off fixes it. Pretty strange, but whatever I now have it at 1440x900, 4xAA, 16xAF everything on high but Grass.. What the fuck??
I don't think its a problem with the game, my system is very similar to yours - I have everything on max no problems like that whatsoever. 7.9 cats.

I don't think its a problem with the game, my system is very similar to yours - I have everything on max no problems like that whatsoever. 7.9 cats.

Others have to turn lighting to low of off with similar systems. Keep in mind a 1900xt might be fine, while the 1950 series could have problems, and the other way around. no other game has this problem(including NWN2), luckily I only have to disable grass which doesn't mater too much.

Never Winter Nights 2 does the same thing. No mod or anything.

THis keyboard is awesome......pricey though.

Does anyone know what the deal is with this little guy from chapter 1? He just follows me around and makes little squeaking noises. He's a damn demon-cat-monkey.

demonmonkeymd8.jpg

Does anyone know what the deal is with this little guy from chapter 1? He just follows me around and makes little squeaking noises. He's a damn demon-cat-monkey.

demonmonkeymd8.jpg

LOL I like that little guy.. can't remember who he was following though, a guard or merchant I think.

He's just part of the idle wildlife and such (like the chickens, geese, birds, dogs etc you see around).

When I first came across one of them (on the road to the Reverend's house from the inn) I didn't what it was, I saw him come running toward me and I pulled out my sword thinking it was gonna attack me, then all the sudden he just starts going in a circle around my feet and making squeaking noises.

There's another one of them on the road to the right as you leave the Inn (going toward the crypt).

Yeah, I tried to chop his little head off also.. He kind of reminds me of "Blarp" from Lost in Space.. the movie..

24575306zh1.jpg

Here is how the game looks for me when outdoors. My card only hits 71c so it's not overheating. I tried underclocking my CPU to stock and nothing, tried 7.6 cats all the way up to 7.10 and still nothing. Anyone else with this problem? No other games have issues(Timeshift, ut3, Hellgate, ect.)..

Just had the exact same problem, it's the grass and it affects x1950pro users for sure (might be an AGP issue, not sure what card you have).

Switching to the Omega's fixed the issue, credit to some guy over at the official witcher forums.

Links: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2699.0

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Haven't used the omega's in years because ATI drivers were usually faster but he fixed the AGP issue and uses Tray Tools instead of CCC and the install was very helpful and very specific. Can almost guarantee this works, so give it a shot. Turning off the grass works too, but I wouldn't want to play an outdoor-sey RPG without grass, feels like concrete.

Just saw that you tried the 7.6's (which were my favorite), was thinking about trying them again (was on the 7.10's) but apparently it's a no-go. ATI needs to do something about their drivers, the last four releases sucked (as many sites will attest to) as they are have been screwing with AGP and CRT users and haven't offered any real performance gains except "theoretically" in games nobody is playing. "Get in the Game?"......will do, as soon as you get "Head out of Ass".

Man, I just upgraded to 2gb of ram today and the load times are soooooooooooooo much better.

I was having lilke 45-70second load times for exterior cells and now It just takes 20'ish seconds to load.

Man, I just upgraded to 2gb of ram today and the load times are soooooooooooooo much better.

I was having lilke 45-70second load times for exterior cells and now It just takes 20'ish seconds to load.

Time to go to 4GB! :)

Just had the exact same problem, it's the grass and it affects x1950pro users for sure (might be an AGP issue, not sure what card you have).

Switching to the Omega's fixed the issue, credit to some guy over at the official witcher forums.

Links: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2699.0

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Haven't used the omega's in years because ATI drivers were usually faster but he fixed the AGP issue and uses Tray Tools instead of CCC and the install was very helpful and very specific. Can almost guarantee this works, so give it a shot. Turning off the grass works too, but I wouldn't want to play an outdoor-sey RPG without grass, feels like concrete.

Just saw that you tried the 7.6's (which were my favorite), was thinking about trying them again (was on the 7.10's) but apparently it's a no-go. ATI needs to do something about their drivers, the last four releases sucked (as many sites will attest to) as they are have been screwing with AGP and CRT users and haven't offered any real performance gains except "theoretically" in games nobody is playing. "Get in the Game?"......will do, as soon as you get "Head out of Ass".

Yeah 1950xt PCIe. I'll try the new omegas, but I'll give the 7.6 a shot to and hpe they work as well, since I like them more.

The omegas don't work, still have to run it off. I'll screw around and see if I can figure it out some day.

-Edit, forgot there was no 7.6 omegas.

Yeah 1950xt PCIe. I'll try the new omegas, but I'll give the 7.6 a shot to and hpe they work as well, since I like them more.

The omegas don't work, still have to run it off. I'll screw around and see if I can figure it out some day.

-Edit, forgot there was no 7.6 omegas.

I actually got some performance lag from the Omega's so I tried going back to the 7.10's and it worked, not exactly sure why though, but I remember you saying it didn't work for you going between drivers...might have something to do with the Omega's.

Better performance off the 7.10's, actually way better for some reason, which is why I reverted and hoped it would work, at least I know it's not an AGP issue and I can rule that out. Good luck.

Quick question to those of you that have the international version:

Aside from the slight censoring, are there any other differences between the two versions? E.g. does the international version add support for other languages besides English? Is the manual different?

i believe there are also dialogue changes in the US version, but other than some slight censoring there is no diff.

Does anyone use any other weapons besides the swords? I'm only in Chapter 2, but I just don't see a point since you cannot use the different stances.

I think the misc weapons are for people that like to max out magic only, that way in the end they still do decent melee dmg as well.

I actually got some performance lag from the Omega's so I tried going back to the 7.10's and it worked, not exactly sure why though, but I remember you saying it didn't work for you going between drivers...might have something to do with the Omega's.

Better performance off the 7.10's, actually way better for some reason, which is why I reverted and hoped it would work, at least I know it's not an AGP issue and I can rule that out. Good luck.

Wow, just tried that, reinstalled 7.10, this time I just ran the install without uninstalling the 7.6's and it works fine now.

This is one of my favourites of the year so far, and would pre order a sequel without thought.

Wow, just tried that, reinstalled 7.10, this time I just ran the install without uninstalling the 7.6's and it works fine now.

This is one of my favourites of the year so far, and would pre order a sequel without thought.

SWEET! Glad it worked, I was really frustrated when that happened but then I came across that post from the Witcher forums...guy with x1950 with the same problem. Was relieved to find it, and pass it on, I think it's an issue with teh x1950 series as all incidents I've seen (3 or 4) have been with that particular card.

Is the issue with the PCI-E or AGP cards. I've got an AGP card... (Haven't bought the game yet)

SWEET! Glad it worked, I was really frustrated when that happened but then I came across that post from the Witcher forums...guy with x1950 with the same problem. Was relieved to find it, and pass it on, I think it's an issue with teh x1950 series as all incidents I've seen (3 or 4) have been with that particular card.

It makes no sense that going from 7.10, to 7.6 and back to 7.10 would fix it.

It only worked when I overrode the old drivers, not a proper cleaning install which is bizarre. Performance seems to be proper as well, runnning t maxed at 1440x900 and it runs in the 50's.

Thanks for the heads up though that reinstalling 7.10 fixed it, now I get to see grass! :p

Is the issue with the PCI-E or AGP cards. I've got an AGP card... (Haven't bought the game yet)

I have a PCIe and it seems that reinstalling the drivers, like posted earlier fixes it. Seriously, it's a great game. Pick it up.

Oh I have a big question.. do you get new swords often / at all, or do you use the same one you start with? I'm wondering because I don't want to waste my weapon upgrade items if I'll be swapping out the "Witcher" Sword that you get near the end of the first section of the game.

Oh I have a big question.. do you get new swords often / at all, or do you use the same one you start with? I'm wondering because I don't want to waste my weapon upgrade items if I'll be swapping out the "Witcher" Sword that you get near the end of the first section of the game.

I'm in the first quarter of chapter two, and I have the Steel Witcher's Sword, a Silver Witcher's Sword, and a Blue Meteorite Sword that I had forged. Not to mention all of the more useless weapons used by some enemies.

I'm in the first quarter of chapter two, and I have the Steel Witcher's Sword, a Silver Witcher's Sword, and a Blue Meteorite Sword that I had forged. Not to mention all of the more useless weapons used by some enemies.

The Blue Meteorite is from the dwarf right? Does it replace your Steel Witcher's Sword or is it use the same extra slot that the Ax is currently in (I'm in Chapter One still). Just wondering if I should upgrade my steel sword or save the upgrade stuff for later :)

The Blue Meteorite is from the dwarf right? Does it replace your Steel Witcher's Sword or is it use the same extra slot that the Ax is currently in (I'm in Chapter One still). Just wondering if I should upgrade my steel sword or save the upgrade stuff for later :)

I had it forged at the Order Armorer in Vizima for ~600 orens. I did use it to replace my Steel Witcher's sword, so I wear the vanilla one on my belt now. The Meteorite and Silver swords are crossed on my back.

I had it forged at the Order Armorer in Vizima for ~600 orens. I did use it to replace my Steel Witcher's sword, so I wear the vanilla one on my belt now. The Meteorite and Silver swords are crossed on my back.

Ah ok cool, I'll save the upgrade items for later then :)

www.gogamer.com is selling The Witcher international version without censoreship.

Just don't select german as your language when you install because the game may replace your sword with a candy cane, the monsters with teletubbies, and blood with apple syrup. (pun at german Hellgate).

how do you cary all that? it says my inventory is full when I try and pick up weapons from creatures I have killed... there was a nice axe I had to leave because of that... I tried dropping my current axe but the newb would not fit in the slot.. grrr

in other news... getting hung up on the terrain a lot.. kind of annoying.. but dealing with it.. I wish I could tell the NPC's to "stay" (like the Vesna Hood/ Early Bird quest, that was a pita, she kept jumping into the battles and dying)... but all in all, it's a fun game so far.. I need to spend some more time on it.. been really busy with other crap!

I can't wait to get home and play some more before the wife gets home from work. I had to go do the National Guard thing this weekend and I haven't played this game since Friday! Should have opted to do split training......:p

is the axe worth anything? if i can't use it with witcher combat styles....why use it?

www.gogamer.com is selling The Witcher international version without censoreship.

Just don't select german as your language when you install because the game may replace your sword with a candy cane, the monsters with teletubbies, and blood with apple syrup. (pun at german Hellgate).
lmfao

The silver/steel swords are the main weapons you will use, however the axes and things can be quite fun to use, especially when going up against armoured enemies.

Right now I have the silver/steel sword, an Axe in my secondary "big" weapon slow, then a flail (called a floursomethingoranother in the game) in my secondary small weapon slot.

I just wish there was a way to get back to the first town, I finished up and passed by some things (like going into the crypt a second time, which gets you a meteorite that I could really use right now).

Ahh crap... I totally didn't get meteorite in chapter 1.. is it worth playing the end of it over again to pick some up? and to get the sword made by the dwarf near the Inn?

Any blacksmith can forge a sword.

There are actually 4 meteorites in Act 1 lol, I only got one.

There's one in the Crypt, the one sold by the blacksmith, on in the Chapel basement or whatever, then another.

lol.. oh yeah and one sold by the guy on the docs... Hansel.. or whatever.. he wanted 400 for it and I had like 415 at the time.. shoulda woulda coulda

help... when i put grass detail to low, the game stutters like mad, when grass is off it works fine. Using Cat 7.10 how can i play with grass ON??

I find the game enjoyable, although it does have its menu quirks like not being able to efficiently exit overlays with the press of a single button (except for the out-of-reach ESC key).

Also, my computer (sig below) just gets killed by it on medium settings. :(

I'm having fun with it, but I can't figure out how to make a cat's eye potion or where to get a torch. I can't do the quest in the crypt for Mikul becuase I can't see anything. Anyone care to share some info here?

I'm having fun with it, but I can't figure out how to make a cat's eye potion or where to get a torch. I can't do the quest in the crypt for Mikul becuase I can't see anything. Anyone care to share some info here?
There is a night vision potion, which works like sort of like the thermal vision you might find in an FPS game.

I found multiple torches inside people's houses. They don't mind if you enter their house and loot what they have. However - you cannot use the witcher's fighting style while using a torch.

How long ahve you guys been playing for?

I've logged about 10 hours maybe and am only about 1/3 through Act 1. I was going to the swamps to get rid of some quests and some how came back to town with more quests than I left with :( Oh well, atleast I have money now.

Back