The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ann.

Okay... my retail got unlocked :)
Played only a bit, as I need to get up in 5 hours but here are few things:

So far, in prologue, on my machine from singature, I'm running ultra setting, and absolutely no problem. Nothing is stuttering, everything looks nice. Comparing the graphics of surrounding terrain, Bioware with DA2 can go straight into corner, sit there and cry... Witcher 2 smokes it totally, being more "system friendly".

Chat, noting like in DA2 with icons, but we get the dialgue lines, that we can choose and not guess what will be said.

However.... the cutscenes built on engine are a bit unnutural. I think it has something to do with motion of people. Lips move in an unatural way, characters walk a bit stiff, there are some clipping issues with people sitting on chairs/bed during cutscenes.

ALso need to tweak mouse a lot. I feel some acceleration problems, and had to spend some time, tweaking the sensiticity to usable stuff.

The good stuff, like maturity, language, sense of humor adid not disappear, and that can only be good :)).Oh, don't know how it's in ENglish version, but in polish edition we got same voices as in part 1.
So far, graphically it's not breakthrough, looks a bit worse then Two Worlds 2.... but, in RPG fashion, DA2 can go to hell and stay there :)

BTW: The online version will be unlocked in 9 hours

Patch notes for the 0-day patch:

Several major balance fixes (economy and fight)
On screen fixes (items descriptions, journal etc.)
Audio mix fixes
Several audio areas, music, cutscene fixes and added better sounds
Many UI fixes (functional, smoother and more user friendly ex. inventory items selection)
Many fixes to quests, quests markers
Visual fixes to fade outs, blackscreens in scenes, cutscenes
Many community fixes - work, npc’s life
Big opponents fights balance and fixes
Many cutscenes fixes - animations, items, lipsync
Gamepad fixes - playing gamepad is now much better
Camera fixes - collisions with objects, collisions with npc’s, combat camera improvements
Some hair physics fixes
Minor QTE fixes
Several locations fixes - objects collisions, envoirements improvements, lights, effects
Crafting, shops, alchemy improvements
Added new autosaves in important places (ex. before fight with Letho, Arachas, Draug)
Some random crashes fixes
Dice poker improvements - logic bugs fixes

Should be up probably when the online version is unlocked, which could address your concerns about the cutscene animations.

Not digging through 20 pages...

If you didn't keep a save game from W1, what are your options for W2?

Ok, works for me, I will get mine going tommorrow, not really worried about it, it needs a day 1 patch it seems, but that's ok. I have not beaten the first game yet, I think I will do that, then I will play Witcher 2.

Not digging through 20 pages...

If you didn't keep a save game from W1, what are your options for W2?

You get a default option, or you could download a savegame. Someone on another site posted a savegame for every possible outcome in TW1.

I will not pirate any game.

I will never pirate a PC game, for love to my precious platform that is struggling against the consoles.
I currently don't pirate console games (I hardly play on consoles right now), but would feel no remorse in doing so. :p

Damn it, my bro is gonna play this first thing tomm. and I still gotta beat the 1st game!!! Damn you work and Steam backlog!!! : (

Looks like I will be fine with my 4.4 2500K and galaxy 480 gtx soc at 869/1738/2001 clocks.

Come ON TUESDAY!!

Still replaying the original, only on Act 2. Oh well, still preordered though for the 10% discount, hopefully it doesn't go on sale before I get to play it actually haha...

GOG service seems pretty good, I just started the DL today and am still getting max speeds for my connection.

Probably be my last post in here though for awhile.

This better deliver
s000.gif

Those benchmarks aren't impressive tbh. Not unless im missing something here.

Looks like you'll need a dual card solution to deliver playable framerates with ubersampling.

Picked up the retail version on my way to work this morning, along with my preorder witcher mouse, wont have a chance to play with it until I get home tonight though :(

Looks like you'll need a dual card solution to deliver playable framerates with ubersampling.
Meeeh.. turn the 'uber' off, and you can enjoy the game at a steady ~40fps.

I'll max this game out next year :p

Just had a look in the manual. Game requires online activation (obviously) but the nice thing is that after 2 months you automatically get back your activations, so hopefully that means even if you use all your activations now, if you come to install again down the track you will have some fresh activations up your sleeve.

Downloading Activation Patch now... but that's not for GoG, its retail.

Game installed, fired it up, no audio... awesome. Will play around a bit and see if I can get it working.

EDIT: Got the sound working. I had the latest driver for my Xonar ST, but I just reinstalled it and now its working. Will have a play around and let you know what the performance is like.

EDIT2: Ultra settings is unplayable, ~10fps or less. High settings is mid to low 20s. Using the Ultra preset and turning shadow quality to high, LOD distance to far (the highest), disabling motion blur, ubersampling and vsync I get about 30fps.

This is with an i5 750 and a GTX460 768mb, 8gb ram.

Last edited:
bad performance maxxed out, but i'm sure it will be taken care of in the next nvidia driver

I dont think so, its a polish developer meaning not the best coders same with metro and stalker games from ukraine bugged to max...

I only played like a few moments but game seemed to run "okay" with everything on max except ubersampling off at 1920x1080. GTX 560Ti and i5 2500k all stock at the moment. For those wanting extra smoothness, you'd need to go down a bit or OC however.

The combat is for sure different, much more like an "action RPG." But still not really sure how it works, only played a few minutes.

The one disconcerting thing about the game so far is that Geralt sounds different. Although I just registered and there is apparently things to DL, including something called "english voice overs" weighing in at almost 1gb. Will try a bit more tomorrow, still need to finish that replay of the Witcher haha...

Runs pretty good (~30 fps during the assault on the castle) at 1920x1080 Ultra (except Ubersampling of course) settings on an X3 720 3.4 ghz and 6950.

Loving the new combat system. It's like Demon's Souls with Arkham Asylum's auto-targeting.

bad performance maxxed out, but i'm sure it will be taken care of in the next nvidia driver

Heard this was a bug with the latest driver, roll back and you'll get better performance.

It doesn´t run at all on my computer. I can max out Crysis 2 no problem but this on the lowest settings I get max 16 fps and it´s stuttery as hell. Oddly enough the problem is even worse in cut scenes...

2 gig RAM, GTX 580, Core 2 duo at 3,6 gig.

I can't even get the god damn thing to launch. Installed twice now and I get the same bullshit. Hit launch game, it tries to load, then kicks me back to the launcher.

Playing at 2560X1600 with ''Uber'' settings. :)

For once, my set-up is sweating a bit. :) Not like those stupid console ports...

I really suck at this game, I've died so many times just trying to get through the damn prologue, lol.

I really suck at this game, I've died so many times just trying to get through the damn prologue, lol.

Use your signs, especially Quen, and drink potions before a battle. If you rush into multiple enemies unprepared, you'll die pretty fast.

Runs pretty well on my 5770. Haven't tried in crossfire yet. Looks a lot better than the first game.

The menu makes the mouse feel really laggy like there's a lot of acceleration. In game it seems fine. Going to research it later though.

Back