The Wire: The Complete Series on Blu-Ray for $80

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
Amazon has the complete series of The Wire on Blu-Ray for $80. http://www.amazon.com/Wire-The-Comp...d_cp_74_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02PGFGKNWN3ZKXD9TGPT

$16 per season for what has been called the greatest tv show ever made seems like a hot deal. Entertainment Weekly named it the Greatest TV show ever made in 2013, so take it up with them if you feel otherwise and leave this thread to the merits of the deal itself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I assume this is an HD version? (I know for a long time there wasn't an HD version of the series available... )

Never saw this one, but have heard too many good things to pass on the deal. It'll make a nice addition to my sets of Banshee, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Rome, and Justified.

Thanks, OP!

It's Blu-ray so I'd say it's a safe assumption.

Good point :)

I was looking at the DVD set as I was thinking about that question, wondering if the DVD set is likely HD. Haven't found anything definitive in the listing or reviews.

The Wire was not shot in widescreen FYI
While this is true and I understand the purists angle on the HD widescreen release, it was long overdue.

It took me years and several tries before I could get into the show, and it had nothing to do with the content. I simply found the black bars on the sides of the TV way too distracting after watching years of HD widescreen content. I hadn't watched anything in 1.33:1 in a looooong time and had no intention of going back.

I was able to get into the show after several attempts, but I would have done so much sooner had an HD widescreen release been available.

The purist angle was also the producer's angle. That being said, I watched the first two seasons in full screen and the rest in widescreen. I didn't think it distracted from show.

That article also states that the remastered widescreen is what is on the bluray, not the full screen original.

That article also states that the remastered widescreen is what is on the bluray, not the full screen original.
Yep. Simon has mentioned he has no intention to do another remaster in the native aspect ratio. It's widescreen hidef remaster, or full screen SD.

While this is true and I understand the purists angle on the HD widescreen release, it was long overdue.

It took me years and several tries before I could get into the show, and it had nothing to do with the content. I simply found the black bars on the sides of the TV way too distracting after watching years of HD widescreen content. I hadn't watched anything in 1.33:1 in a looooong time and had no intention of going back.

I was able to get into the show after several attempts, but I would have done so much sooner had an HD widescreen release been available.

Unfortunately directors usually frame the shots in such a way that converting to widescreen removes a lot of what is supposed to be seen. The only way to get a proper widescreen conversion is if they went scene by scene and re framed each shot.

I burned through this entire series (the HD remaster mentioned here) back in August while recovering from surgery and while I found it a great show, I think that is one of the few that doesn't lend itself well to Binge Watching..I had missed this back in the early 00's (was too busy with college and fucking every girl with a decent pair of tits :p)...

I didn't feel like the WS really detracted from the show, it seemed like shots were well framed for me..Just MHO...

Of course there are some drawbacks to remastering something shot in native 4:3 into widescreen. However, after watching the complete series in 4:3 SD and then remastered 1080p widescreen, any differences in scenes I picked up were fairly subtle.

For a lot of people trying to get into The Wire for the first time in our(more) modern age of TV, the original version of The Wire is inapproachable on today's viewing devices. It certainly was for me. The black bars on the side of widescreen TV's playing SD content are a hell of a lot more distracting than picking up the subtle differences between scenes shot with a 4:3 aspect ratio in mind, and those same scenes remastered in widescreen. Yes, you can get used to it if you try, but for many, they simply move on to something else and miss out on a GREAT show.

Never saw this one, but have heard too many good things to pass on the deal. It'll make a nice addition to my sets of Banshee, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Rome, and Justified.

Thanks, OP!

Oh, you will not be disappointed. At all.

Back