The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
The WiiU is dead.
This isn't a trust issue.

I get that the Wii U isn't selling very well, but if you show the public you aren't going to support your console unless it's a smash hit then it makes me (and possibly a few other people) reluctant to invest in later hardware.

I get that the Wii U isn't selling very well, but if you show the public you aren't going to support your console unless it's a smash hit then it makes me (and possibly a few other people) reluctant to invest in later hardware.

Nintendo is already doing a poor job supporting the Wii U.

If the public is so ignorant that the fact that any new release is going to under sell because the hardware is dead, well, too bad, cause thats how business works. You can support something just to show the public goodwill only so long. They have done enough in the last year if you ask me. WiiU didn't just die yesterday, its been dead for at least a year. There is no good will lost at this point. This isn't a 32X situation. We are getting the games we get this year, one last Zelda and thats that. End of WiiU. Enter the NX.
I'm sure they will trickle games out for WiiU for maybe 1-2 more years(large focus on eshop) and thats that.

You know, I don't even mind this at all really. The Wii U has provided more than enough entertainment for what I paid for it, and is still in heavy use at my house. It will stay hooked up to a TV in my house long after the NX comes out, which I will also pick up. I'll go where the games are, and if they're on NX instead, that's where I'll be. I really couldn't care less about 3rd party games on a Nintendo console except for the fact that having them will extend the console's life because of the extra people that do care. I'll always buy cross-platform games for the PC anyway.

Having kids, once a console isn't in the living room anymore, I just trickle it into one of their rooms, one of the spare rooms, etc. They still see use after they're no longer the focus in the main room. After that they trickle to grandparents' houses.

I'm excited to see what they've got.

The WiiU is my favorite of the current consoles. It's the more unique one, and it's still the only current console that gets use when people are over. The other ones do not offer a comparable "couch co-op" environment. The games are also simple enough that you aren't trying to teach people or wait for them to get a feel for it. Just simple pick up and play.

WiiU is the only console we bring with us when it comes to gathers or anything like that. All the other consoles just don't cut it.

I mean, the WiiU is not a compelling Single Player console. Which, I get. It has a ton of great SP games too, but it's real strong points are with Multi-Player games.

The WiiU is my favorite of the current consoles. It's the more unique one, and it's still the only current console that gets use when people are over. The other ones do not offer a comparable "couch co-op" environment. The games are also simple enough that you aren't trying to teach people or wait for them to get a feel for it. Just simple pick up and play.

WiiU is the only console we bring with us when it comes to gathers or anything like that. All the other consoles just don't cut it.

I mean, the WiiU is not a compelling Single Player console. Which, I get. It has a ton of great SP games too, but it's real strong points are with Multi-Player games.

I agree 100%. For me it's PC+Nintendo. The other consoles just don't provide any value on top of this combo. Sure I'll miss a few exclusives, but the uniqueness of Nintendos games (not compared to other Nintendo games of course, but other games in general) provides the perfect contrast to what the PC provides.

I've gotten a metric ton of enjoyment out of mine, and will continue to do so even after its been replaced by NX.

I'm hoping the rumours are true about the NX - it's actually an exciting premise that hopefully doesn't get spoiled by old school Nintendo business methods.

I'm hoping they keep the 'NX' moniker, it sounds cool. And it's light years away from 'Wii'.

I think it's in their best interest to have a more age neutral name. Not saying that should abandon their unqiue place in the family environment, but they definitely need to aquire more teens.

I'm waiting for the retail price to drop to $249 so, hopefully, the official refurbs drop to $150 then I'll pick one up.

Lets not turn this into a thread like the other one. Keep the focus on the Wii U and it's games.

I hope all the good wii u games get ports to the NeX if it doesn't have BC. They really need to nail down their internet services to compete with MS/Sony... just having 3rd party games alone won't be enough if the mp communities for said games are shit.

Lets not turn this into a thread like the other one. Keep the focus on the Wii U and it's games.

Well yoshi wasn't very good, and the pipeline is pretty sparse.

Take that back, Barbie puppy rescue is coming, surely a smash hit.

YOSHI'S WOOLY WORLD IS EPIC. Too bad I can't play it because my wife stole the Wii U from me to play it. Waiting for the Mega Yoshi Yarn Amiibo.

YOSHI'S WOOLY WORLD IS EPIC. Too bad I can't play it because my wife stole the Wii U from me to play it. Waiting for the Mega Yoshi Yarn Amiibo.

I was thinking that it looked pretty fun. I was also a fan of Yoshi's Island (and successors) so I can't see how it could possibly be bad. Maybe not a major advancement in Mario Technology, but who cares. The games have a formula for a reason. Because they work.

I was thinking that it looked pretty fun. I was also a fan of Yoshi's Island (and successors) so I can't see how it could possibly be bad. Maybe not a major advancement in Mario Technology, but who cares. The games have a formula for a reason. Because they work.

So far I love it and my son has his own save on it too and hes doing very well, its replayability is good too, especially if you want a 100% completion

honestly i was really disappointed in yoshis wooly. its mind numbingly easy and just not that fun... im going back to mario maker

I fail to see how NX could be that good at like a $250 or $300 price point. I mean if they really want to distinguish themselves with the hardware, they need a SERIOUS GPU plus whatever gimmick they want to implement. Expensive. Are they going to take a loss on the hardware? Also they need to get rid of this Mii nonsense from like 2005. Their first mobile game and they are using those ugly Miis? What are they thinking. They are in their own world or something.

Having said that, they can take my money I buy everything with Nintendo on it, even the mediocre games just to keep them going so they can knock it out of the park with Zelda, Mario and Metroid...and Pikmin.

At the end of the day, new hardware plus Zelda launch title = drool. If they do that again I'm gonna have to sedate myself. When the original Wii launched I was in quite a state...and I'm 35. :D

honestly i was really disappointed in yoshis wooly. its mind numbingly easy and just not that fun... im going back to mario maker

Notwithstanding, my wife cheated and put wings on Yoshi throughout the game, flying through the game. You would be surprised how challenging Mario mechanics are for some people, even people with masters degrees.

I tried to explain how a "Boo" worked to my wife and she just could not get her mind around it. You face the boo and he stops. Turn your back on him and he comes at you. She could not grasp it and get it into position. She was like letting it chase her down it was pretty funny.

I think this is a game to play with someone else. I haven't even really played it I watched my wife play it and collect the Yoshi costumes. The yarn thing has serious casual appeal. I would not even consider it a good Mario game but it is fun.

I am thoroughly enjoying Splatoon finally after several months. I dabeled in the single player a while back and just wasn't feeling it. Wanted to complete it before Multiplayer.

This is a Multiplayer game only for sure. It's like Call of Duty for kids. But it's definitely got it's own unique sense of style / gameplay that appeals to people of all ages. You can get stupidly good at this game and just trash people.

I really like how they made it so you can't team up with 4 local players and just completely stomp 4 random public players, that would've had me returning this game.

For me personally FPS games have always had a high replay value i can see myself playing this one for quite some time.

The gear gives you a semi-interesting goal to work towards
Learning weapons is probably a little more interesting than getting gear, and overall a lot more important in the longrun.

When you start doing ranked play you'll want to make sure your gear is loaded out the way you want it because everyone is going to be good and it'll be those minor bonuses that end up making the difference.

No, it really isn't. It's targeted at 7 year olds.

Actually the games out when I was 7 were insanely difficult. Maybe they make everything so easy for adults.

No, it really isn't. It's targeted at 7 year olds.

Actually the games out when I was 7 were insanely difficult. Maybe they make everything so easy for adults.

Actually it's targeted at anyone that thinks it might be fun. There are plenty of other games that are hard if that's what you want. Difficulty doesn't make a game. It can add to it if it's handled appropriately but it definitely doesn't inherently make a game good. I liked Captain Toad, but it wasn't all that difficult either. Are you going to tell me that I'm wrong and didn't actually have fun with it? If it's not for you, that's cool, but that doesn't mean it's for 7 year old kids. My young daughters play Borderlands with me, but we also like fun little platform games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Yoshi over the weekend for my daughters. I will agree with some of the sentiments here that it is easy, and aimed at younger players. However, it is actually quite fun, polished, and beautiful to look at. It's quite relaxing. It actually has the feel of the original Yoshi's Island in my opinion than some of the later games. It's just fun to kick back and play. If I want something more challenging I've got the Mario/LuigiU games, or some earlier classics. This game was definitely worth the money, easy or not.

I just started playing Mario Maker last night and while I've had a good time there are a lot of dumb levels with lots of stars.

Do I want to "play" your don't move level as part of my 100 Mario challenge? No
Do I want to look at your cool Pokemon artwork made out of Mario blocks while I run to the right? No
Do I want to jump until I find the hidden block that leads to the exit? No

This game needs level categories so these creations are still accessible to people who like them, but won't get in the way of people who actually want to play a reasonable game.

The F-ZERO Nintendo will not make.

1Mue8E2.jpg

lxZ0dad.jpg

oFMWcMJ.jpg

FAST racing NEO
is out tomorrow. (Dec 10)

The game is by Shin'en, the same 3 guys that brought us the Iridion and Nanostray series and the excellent Nano Assault Neo.
$15 on the eShop

18 minutes Direct Feed (60fps video) includes multiplayer footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqRE2E-ChM

EDIT: Hero mode is where its at. Eye bleeding speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4eujD0JITQ

Last edited:
Looks a little more WipeOut-ish to me, but that's not a bad thing at all. Might have to grab this. I actually miss ExtremeG. I liked having contact with the surface.

We've been on a Mario kart kick lately, that and Mario maker. I've been playing the Wii U about as much as the Xbox one, my ps4 has been collecting dust. My son who is 5 plays trials fusion on the ps4 and that's about it

Looks a little more WipeOut-ish to me, but that's not a bad thing at all. Might have to grab this. I actually miss ExtremeG. I liked having contact with the surface.

I had to go back and read what Levithan wrote...I thought it was WIpeout.

I gotta say that with the announcement of the NX, and Nintendo being like "no, don't worry about that, keep buying the Wii U!"...kinda killed my desire for a Wii U unless there is a massive price drop. I can see buying one and then a year or so later having support be dropped for a new console.

I gotta say that with the announcement of the NX, and Nintendo being like "no, don't worry about that, keep buying the Wii U!"...kinda killed my desire for a Wii U unless there is a massive price drop. I can see buying one and then a year or so later having support be dropped for a new console.

Yeah. I have one and there are some good games for it, but the console is basically end-of-life. I can't recommend anybody buys it now. Just wait until NX is out and pick up everything at a good price.

It's worth buying if you can get a good price on one. I got one a few months ago and paid $250 for it but it came with everything, 2 Wii motion plus remotes, a pro controller, 3 just dance games, super Mario and super Luigi U, super Mario 3d world and 2 years of a square trade warranty left.

It was a lot to drop on a basically end of life system but I feel like it was well worth it. We bought Mario kart and Mario maker for it and have been playing it every night.

Forgot to mention that I picked up Fast Racing Neo, and it definitely fills the whole F-Zero/Wipeout/Extreme-G gap quite well. It's absolutely gorgeous, ridiculously fast, the controls are very accurate, etc. It really delivers this type of experience, and does it very well. I've only played a few tracks, but it's excellent so far. Definitely recommend it, if you're into these types of games.

I would not call a console that has yet to see its Zelda game, "end of life". We don't know anything about NX.

Regarding Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, I am very excited to play this game again. However, based on all the footage that I have seen of the game, it looks to me like they did not do a very good job with the graphics. I am not even sure I see the difference. Although, I suppose if all they did was make the resolution merely compatible with a large screen HD TV, so the game did not look blurry, as it does when played now, that would be sufficient for me to buy it. It does not look like as a big an improvement as was seen in OoT on 3DS. It is one of my all time favorite games on any platform. Very exciting.

Fast Racing Neo does look and play pretty good.

I really like the WII U. I think the first party library is impressive and the titles are quality. I like the second screen controller concept but the screen resolution and quality is a bit subpar. I would much prefer the next Zelda get shifted to NX because I always want Zelda on the most powerful platform since it is one my favorite games series across any platform.

I would not call a console that has yet to see its Zelda game, "end of life". We don't know anything about NX.

Regarding Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, I am very excited to play this game again. However, based on all the footage that I have seen of the game, it looks to me like they did not do a very good job with the graphics. I am not even sure I see the difference. Although, I suppose if all they did was make the resolution merely compatible with a large screen HD TV, so the game did not look blurry, as it does when played now, that would be sufficient for me to buy it. It does not look like as a big an improvement as was seen in OoT on 3DS. It is one of my all time favorite games on any platform. Very exciting.

Fast Racing Neo does look and play pretty good.

I really like the WII U. I think the first party library is impressive and the titles are quality. I like the second screen controller concept but the screen resolution and quality is a bit subpar. I would much prefer the next Zelda get shifted to NX because I always want Zelda on the most powerful platform since it is one my favorite games series across any platform.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03WTfKyiu_g

I own it on Wii this looks better and it's a compressed video.

Okay I watched that on my phone it does look better. I watched on my surface book and it looked warped. Video quality must be poor.

It looks like the textures have been updated, there seem to be some new particle effects, more other special effects, maybe some bump or parallax mapping (appears that way anyway) but the geometry looks pretty similar to me. So not too bad for an HD remake. Could be better, but not bad. I hope they adopt the aiming/inventory on the gamepad method they used for the Wind Waker remake.

It looks like the textures have been updated, there seem to be some new particle effects, more other special effects, maybe some bump or parallax mapping (appears that way anyway) but the geometry looks pretty similar to me. So not too bad for an HD remake. Could be better, but not bad. I hope they adopt the aiming/inventory on the gamepad method they used for the Wind Waker remake.

I could more than live with that. As long as it looks somewhat crisp. I don't expect them to bring it up to date, but it should withstand the scrutiny of a 60 inch HD screen. I expect they will allow you to aim with the controller like Windwaker. That was a very good system. That would be the best of both words-- aiming with the controller but not having to waggle to swing the sword.

glad i ran across this thread, i've been considering picking up a wii u for mario kart and mario maker.. I've been playing back through some of my old mario stuff on snes and have really enjoyed playing. Problem is I didn't see much out there game wise that looked interesting to me. Would hate to buy it new or used for just a couple games

Back