The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
The Metroid Trilogy is on sale for $10 on the eShop right now... Picked that up... I'll likely never even get around to playing it lol.

Im debating between metroid trilogy or shovel knight. Im not that good at platformers so leaning towards metroid. Dont want both i have so many other games to get thru

They are two very fun games. Metroid is a must play, but I'm having fun with shovel night...

Im debating between metroid trilogy or shovel knight. Im not that good at platformers so leaning towards metroid. Dont want both i have so many other games to get thru

Dont pass on metroid prime trilogy for 9.99 it still sells for 50 used

You'll want to play Metroid Prime. Seriously well constructed and very fun to play. It's not a pure FPS a big portion is exploration and discovery. It's probably one of the few games that I have bothered to play multiple times, as it's that good. Most games don't rate a second playthrough.

The first two Metroid Prime games are absolute magic. The third one deviates a lot and introduces some new stuff that while it didn't take away from the game it also made things more confusing. I think the whole series is a masterpiece in video gaming (Other M is a total fucking wash) from Nintendo and Retro studio's. Keep in mind that playing this collection normally costed about $80+ on Gamestop who manages to keep it in print but charges a fuckload for it.

Turn up the Wiimote sensitivity as high as it can go so you don't get tennis elbow swinging around the Wiimote. Also play it on "Veteran" since "Normal" in this release across all three games is actually the new "Easy" mode. This game series is challenging and deserves to be so as you won't feel half the reward without it. Its got a very engrossing story line and some of the best boss fights in any video game.

For $9 its probably one of the best values right now for the Wii U period. Its also sadly a sign that a Metroid for Wii U is likely never coming since Nintendo seems uninterested in keeping the Wii U around for more than an extra couple of years and is very interested in moving to its next generation system.

Purchased Metroid Trilogy as well. I played the original game on GC and it was easily one of the highlights for that system.

But, yeah, now to just find the time to play it.

I suppose I have to grab this as well. I never played them before.

Also, @lee Shovel Knight is worth every penny. It's ridiculous amounts of fun. It's everything that was good about games like Megaman or Castlevania, with modern conveniences rolled in. It's about as polished as something like this gets. The controls are spot on. The music is beautiful and nostalgic. The humor is quite funny, there are plenty of secrets to discover. It's just plain fun. Highly recommended.

Any reason to buy the prime trilogy if I have the wii collection?

Keep your physical copy in top shape and lessen the threat of an accident from usage?

Digital copy is free from that issue and works just as well. Also going in and out of Wii mode is faster with a digital copy from the Eshop.

Considering the trilogy is still worth something (however that will change now Gamestop can't charge $80 for it) I would do it.

Its also sadly a sign that a Metroid for Wii U is likely never coming since Nintendo seems uninterested in keeping the Wii U around for more than an extra couple of years and is very interested in moving to its next generation system.

Source? Or is this just skepticism

Are you in the UK?
I don't think they have a Smash bundle with a GC controller and adapter, anywhere.
Nintendo didn't do any Black Friday deals for '14. Unlike the ZeldaHD pack in '13. I think that was stupid, but it's NOA, so these things don't surprise me anymore... No regular 3DS did, though. That shit was left field. NOA is continually retarded.

Are you in the UK?
I don't think they have a Smash bundle with a GC controller and adapter, anywhere.

I was merely pointing out that the bundle is more expensive as a comparable 32GB Wii U bundle and doesn't include anything to offset the fact it's a 8GB basic model. ie: Throwing in a GC Adatper + Controller to counter the fact it's only an 8GB model.

Oh I agree with you. Looks like the game is even the trojan horse to sell off those 8GB systems.
That incredible bundle you thought of is too smart to ever come out of NOA... They should have done something like that for Black Friday last year.

Stupid people who buy 5+ amiibo's when they are supposed to be limited to 1 per customer.

Go to Target on Sunday and than on Wednesday morning (stock days where I am). Sunday the Rosalina + Luma went on sale, there were 13 that came in, they sold out 3 people in. first person bought 6, second bought 5 third person scooped up the remaining 2. I asked one of them, since I was standing there, why they needed 5, he said to me, oh, these aren't for me, I plan on selling these for $60 a pop since people go batty for them.

I am a collector, I have a 6 year old son, who is enjoying collecting these with me, I want ONE of these, just one, for our collection.... sigh....

Wednesday I check in at 8 in the morning (opening) by calling them, talked to the lady in electronics, while on phone;

"How many you have today"
"we JUST got 3 in, I just put them up"
"Can you put one on hold, I can be there in 30 minutes."
"Sure, let me go grab one right now"
walks over....
"Sir, uh, all 3 just got picked up before I got over there, a gentleman was able to grab all 3"
"Whatever happened to "Limit One Per Customer""
"Yeah, we try to enforce that, but it never ever happens, the customer can still check out all 3 at the front, we just try to tell people to limit 1 per to keep them from being greedy!"

AHEDGFIHDOIGHUOSDBVUSHGisjdgfohsdguahdgoiuHOAUIEDGHPOIS

Stupid people who buy 5+ amiibo's when they are supposed to be limited to 1 per customer.

Go to Target on Sunday and than on Wednesday morning (stock days where I am). Sunday the Rosalina + Luma went on sale, there were 13 that came in, they sold out 3 people in. first person bought 6, second bought 5 third person scooped up the remaining 2. I asked one of them, since I was standing there, why they needed 5, he said to me, oh, these aren't for me, I plan on selling these for $60 a pop since people go batty for them.

I am a collector, I have a 6 year old son, who is enjoying collecting these with me, I want ONE of these, just one, for our collection.... sigh....

Wednesday I check in at 8 in the morning (opening) by calling them, talked to the lady in electronics, while on phone;

"How many you have today"
"we JUST got 3 in, I just put them up"
"Can you put one on hold, I can be there in 30 minutes."
"Sure, let me go grab one right now"
walks over....
"Sir, uh, all 3 just got picked up before I got over there, a gentleman was able to grab all 3"
"Whatever happened to "Limit One Per Customer""
"Yeah, we try to enforce that, but it never ever happens, the customer can still check out all 3 at the front, we just try to tell people to limit 1 per to keep them from being greedy!"

AHEDGFIHDOIGHUOSDBVUSHGisjdgfohsdguahdgoiuHOAUIEDGHPOIS

Just so you know most target of decent volume get general merchandise trucks Monday Wednesday and Friday during normal time of year more during holidays and there are never trucks on Sunday except super rare occasions.

Your best chance for new stock is those day and that stuff is scanned in before store open.

Just so you know most target of decent volume get general merchandise trucks Monday Wednesday and Friday during normal time of year more during holidays and there are never trucks on Sunday except super rare occasions.

Your best chance for new stock is those day and that stuff is scanned in before store open.

Yeah, manager at Target electronics I talked to today said that, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. He was actually surprised none come in today, but says theres a chance Monday, after that though, hes very unsure.

Why is Mario 3d world still 59.99.

Come on Nintendo!

It's gone on sale (usually to around $45-$50) multiple times now, both physical and eShop versions. Most recent sale was the eShop version at the same time Mario Galaxy 2 was $10 a couple weeks ago.

It's like 2 years old

Doesn't matter.. 1st party Nintendo titles hold their value for a long time..I bought Super Smash Bros Braw at Gamestop a month ago for $27.99 used.. That's a 7 year old game holding almost 1/2 its original retail value.

I finally succumbed to resellers and bought a Nintendo GameCube adapter for $39.99 (with free shipping) off eBay. Although my modded vWill uses the pro-controller for GameCube games nothing beats the GameCube controller. I packaged up my original Wii a month ago and being able to use the Gamecube controller with Nintendont on my GameCube backups was the only missing link. Plus when I eventually buy Super Smash Bros.. I picked up NES Remix and Resident Evil Revelations today taking my total physical Wii U games up to 17 + numerous eShop purchases.

Shame Nintendo missed the boat with these adapters. Demand is high and they seem to refuse to supply it

I finally succumbed to resellers and bought a Nintendo GameCube adapter for $39.99 (with free shipping) off eBay. Although my modded vWill uses the pro-controller for GameCube games nothing beats the GameCube controller. I packaged up my original Wii a month ago and being able to use the Gamecube controller with Nintendont on my GameCube backups was the only missing link. Plus when I eventually buy Super Smash Bros.. I picked up NES Remix and Resident Evil Revelations today taking my total physical Wii U games up to 17 + numerous eShop purchases.

Shame Nintendo missed the boat with these adapters. Demand is high and they seem to refuse to supply it

The demand is still there. Nintendo is probably going to suddenly saturate the market with them whenever.

There is no logic to what Nintendo does. They just decide to play catch up whenever they want..

Having said that I'm glad I preordered one with the Smash game packaged in. I have to say I didn't think it was going to be rare at all..

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure and use a new Wii U console without needing the Game Pad? Or can you used someone else's GP to initially configure the console?

I watched a video online of a person just using a Wiimote to control the Wii U and play games with the GP powered off. However this after they booted up the console and configured it for the first time with a GP.

Reason I am asking is you can get a brand new Wii U Console without a GP on eBay for < $150.

I pretty much plan on playing nothing but SSB4 via a Gamecube Controller if I buy a Wii U.

I do not want to use a GP or pay $260-300 for brand new set if I don't need it.

The only downsides I see to not a having the GP is I will be unable to use Amiibos since they sync via the GP, or play other games the require it. At this point I am not worried about that.

From experience, my friends have all bought Wii U's. We get together to play SSB4 and they have to lug around the GP just to get the game launched. Then it just sits in the corner all night and never to be touched again. It really seems like a waste of an accessory (and money) for our application.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure and use a new Wii U console without needing the Game Pad? Or can you used someone else's GP to initially configure the console?

I watched a video online of a person just using a Wiimote to control the Wii U and play games with the GP powered off. However this after they booted up the console and configured it for the first time with a GP.

Reason I am asking is you can get a brand new Wii U Console without a GP on eBay for < $150.

I pretty much plan on playing nothing but SSB4 via a Gamecube Controller if I buy a Wii U.

The only downsides I see to not a having the GP is I will be unable to use Amiibos since they sync via the GP, or play other games the require it. At this point I am not worried about that.

From experience, my friends have all bought Wii U's. We get together to play SSB4 and they have to lug around the GP just to get the game launched. Then it just sits in the corner all night and never to be touched again. It really seems like a waste of an accessory (and money) for our application.

Somebody else's, easy.

Without one, I'm not aware of a way.

Not that I am aware of

However, go to Nintendo's web store bro, refurbished console with GP for $199 man. And Nintendo does a killer job refurbishing the consoles, plus you get a 1-year warranty with the console, and if you have to send in the console for repairs, it refreshes the warranty.

Not that I am aware of

However, go to Nintendo's web store bro, refurbished console with GP for $199 man. And Nintendo does a killer job refurbishing the consoles, plus you get a 1-year warranty with the console, and if you have to send in the console for repairs, it refreshes the warranty.

Thanks for the responses guys, definitely will keep my eye on the refurbs at Nintendo.

Pretty much this. For whatever reason Nintendo made the settings menu 100% Gamepad dependent.

I'm pretty sure they patched that, the only time you need to use the gamepad is during initial setup iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice! I may pick one of those up too. I play in the living room, and also upstairs in my bedroom, and this would come in quite handy.

Nice! I may pick one of those up too. I play in the living room, and also upstairs in my bedroom, and this would come in quite handy.

It works well. I just plugged mine into USB port of my TV set and tuck it out of the way when not playing. Then I just keep the Gamepad in the charging cradle.. The cable is much more robust then the flimsy thing Nintendo provided.

Back