The Unofficial List of Good mATX Motherboards (Overclocking and Not)

Hey Dillusion (or other Admin), can you plz update the "2007 top picks" in page 1?

I KNOW no-one here thinks the Abit F-I90HD is the best anymore

They were very close to each other. In my book I prefer the ABit for placement, looks and features. However it did cost more.

I do like how the epox have the PCIe 1x slot over the 16x slot. My 1x is useless with my video card installed. I wanted to use my PCIe tv tuner, or maybe a my hardware gigbit nic,

Thats some good stuff, but do you really think the EP-MGF6100-M is a better AM2 over-clocker that the Abit-Nview?

Hey, isn't EPoX going out of business?

Mainboard Maker Epox Turns Into Supox.
Epox is Gone, Supox is Born

According to rumours around the Internet, once famous mainboard maker Epox has went out of business and its employees flee to form the new company named Supox. Epox has been struggling to survive for a long time and it is not a big surprise that it is gone now.

Looking at their socket 775 motherboard lineup, they barely came out with a P965 chipset board and that's it. Nothing on the P35 pr G33 chipsets, nothing on the Nvidia 6XX series. No new chipsets on the socket AM2 side either.

I'm not too sure on the Abit board either. My Nview died under mysterious circumstances... it was working... I shelved it for a few months... it no longer would POST. I know this was pretty common with the F-I90HD and makes me wonder if the Nview boards died often too.

Hello hard ons,

I am trying to figure out what mATX is the best board to OC pentium d 805. I was looking at P5LD2-VM-DH, but the prices have gone up by about $50 when I was looking at them several months ago.

What are better, and hopefully cheaper options, of motherboards that will reach 3.6~3.8GHz with just air cooling? ...or at least where can I get it for less than $150??

Just for shitz -n- gigglez I've got an Ultra MicroFly case and I'm thinking of getting the CNPS8000 Zalman fan.... with that fan and what motherboard will allow me to reach the 667MHz FSB or whatever bus that is??

Also, is R2.0 really worth it if I'm OCing the 805 to 3.6GHz?? Aren't the R2.0's limited in their OCing ability?

Thanks.

EDIT: What about the P5B-VM. . . seems straight, right??

Just to let you know that thing runs HOT even @ stock. I dunno about MATX and 805D. To each their own.

What is ur $ to buy an MATX. I would look towards the MSI g33 edition. Cheap and has the V options and does over 300fsb. The 805D at 200 FSB is decent. But you may want to do a bit more research b4 buying. I dunno if they are supported... though I don't c y not.

Also calling everybody a Hard ON isn't very nice... though I'm guessing you meant Hard Ones... Still sounds icky. ;)

Just to let you know that thing runs HOT even @ stock. I dunno about MATX and 805D. To each their own.
I was well aware of the heat isssue, but I was still under the impression with some thermal paste, a decent heatsink/fan, and a good mATX mobo... you could get the memory speed to 667MHz (this is my ultimate goal). Now I'm finding out -- maybe, maybe not.

What is ur $ to buy an MATX. I would look towards the MSI g33 edition. Cheap and has the V options and does over 300fsb. The 805D at 200 FSB is decent. But you may want to do a bit more research b4 buying. I dunno if they are supported... though I don't c y not.
I've done too much research but most of it was several months ago. That G33 board looks very nice... does it have as many options to overclock as the ASUS P5LD2-VM DH board?? That ASUS board has every OC option listed, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also calling everybody a Hard ON isn't very nice... though I'm guessing you meant Hard Ones... Still sounds icky. ;)
I was gonna say Hardy Boys, but I figured I'd offend the ladies that way. This naturally led me to the unisex term, hard ons! Anyway... just trying to find out what mobo can do the job for me. . . .

Asus and MATX = no go. Bad VDIMM optins keep me from buying. They are always overpriced imo as well.

MATX and PreG33 Intel = NO GO. The Fatality ABit might not be a bad option as well. Look around and it can be had for under 100 with shipping. Think I saw a rebate or something

Really?? How does that make sense when ASUS has a few boards with all the OC options, and MSI has none? Is the G33 *that* good in terms of OCing?!?

I like the Abit Fatality, but I'll be using this with Ubuntu... so I don't like the ATI chipset. It'd prolly screw me up somewhere. So, my limits are ~$160, must have intel chipsets, & must be able to overclock Pentium D 805 very well.

Asus G33 I don't know. The problem with Asus are there voltage issues. Too low for real memory to work. 2.2 should be the minimum a board should go have. I have heard one that was doing well but don't remember.

Junkabyte, well I'm biased. I hate that company. Junk is what they manufacture IMO. I don't speak of one or two or three products I speak of about a dozen until I gave up on them. They MIGHT have resolved their issues but their customer support is also terrible too.

I hear the MSI does 350 which is more than fine for a 805D. Inexpensive, compared to the rest, and seems to be alright. There is a thread here.

I think the multi on the 805 is 20x i believe. 200fsb x 20 = 4Ghz. Almost any board with options on bios should OC the 805D. However I suggest something decent as you have an avenue for upgrade.

It is a fairly new chipset so not much info is available. look around a bit more. Use search and type g33 and g33m.

Sorry guys, been playing with a mac lately. Back in the game now though; just bought a 4000+ and Biostar 7025 :)

New matx board received with the new cheap chipset G31: Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2!
G7127copier-1.jpg

G7129copier-1.jpg

upcoming test..

Yeah I was looking for a review on those boards. We got some of them into work. I was kinda mad it wasn't a G33M-DS2R.

very good heatsink indeed!
on my p5kvm rig: had to make some trick to mount a papst 120 in my asus vintage3 case...
G7129copier.jpg

I bought a second one...

Looks like it's the size of a 120mm. Interesting. I think it may fit perfectly in a Qpack2... Does it swivel like the HR-o1? When I deventually go C2D that heatsink is mine. Hopefuly it will be under$40 by then! lol

yes it has the size of a 120 fan 'cause it it is compatible with both 92/120:

And yes it swivel a little but it does not matter cause in term of performance wise my e6850 hit 4Ghz...

NO. I like the swivel!!! I think the new mounting mech for Thermalright is TOP NOTCH!

gigabyte minitest GA-G31MX-S2!
cpu: x6800
heatsink: ultima90 + scythe 120 NMB MAT 31dB
gpu= 7900GS pcie
ram ballistix 5300:2x512
PSU: antec su380w

The bios is similar to G33:
ratio cpu, vcore from 0.50v-1.60v, vddr +0.1 up to+0.4v, fsb up to 700, same ratio fsb/mem like its big brother g33 (no ratio1:1)

vcore:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/pvhk/G7141copier.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/pvhk/G7142copier.jpg

test of the max fsb of the mb, ratio cpu set to 10x.

FSB max @340 only :(
340.jpg

vcore max @1.5750v bios= 1.50v rea! Values over 1.575v result in no boot or reset (so useless)
3597.jpg

Raising PCIE@110 or vFSB up to +0.3v did not help: impossible to hit 350 de fsb!

SO: the g31 is not a good matx mb when it comes to oc a c2d fsb1333!
it will be perfect for a c2d fsb800, but due to the lack of ratio1:1, top performance rams is needed!

It seems that with a c2d fsb1333, it is possible to hit fsb@400 ([email protected]):
http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards/review/2007/09/13/Gigabyte-GA-G31MX-S2-Micro-ATX/p3

Translation: Not as good as the G33 chipset boards which are hitting 450MHz+.

Well the G33 is a medium quality P35 and the G31 is supposed to be the low end quality P35 so it stands to reason if it doesnt OC well. Basically a budget matx mobo for stock use. Which isnt a bad thing necessarily. Not everyone buys a matx mobo to OC. I havent seen US prices yet though so if its $100 or more it'd be better to just go ahead get the DS2R for a little more money. The S2 should be priced under $100 IMO due to its basic features.

I got a mATX setup in a InWin mATX case
System setup

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 at 3Ghz
Foxconn G33M FSB @ 1700Mhz (425Mhz)
4GB ram
ATi Radeon 1950Pro @ 640Mhz and 850Mhz
WDC 500GB Caviar RE2 HDD
Audigy 2 ZX sound card

Pretty fast overall......

Canada Computers is showing to have the Asus version of the G31 board in stock. I wonder if the Asus BIOS from G33 carry over and can give us the magical 1:1 ratio?

How long before any of you guys can get your hands on one for some testing?

Canada Computers is showing to have the Asus version of the G31 board in stock. I wonder if the Asus BIOS from G33 carry over and can give us the magical 1:1 ratio?

How long before any of you guys can get your hands on one for some testing?
probably!
but i did not buy it (available in france) 'cause no vcore, vddr settings in bios compared to giga!

probably!
but i did not buy it (available in france) 'cause no vcore, vddr settings in bios compared to giga!

That sucks big time. One would have thought since the P5K-VM edges out the G33M this time it will be the same? This is so stupid. I guess they think people won't be buying the G31 boards for overclocking? This could have been one cheap board with discrete PCIe video and mild overclocking potential. I would have gotten it, it's 40 bucks cheaper than the P5K-VM!

Someone needs to review this. :p

I *may* have a supplier for biostar t-force 6100-939s.

The order has yet to arrive and their customer service department is really nasty, but they may still have a few units sitting on a shelf if anyone is trying to make the most of some leftover 939 parts.

The price was @ $55 shipped.

edit: nevermind, my order was cancelled twice with no contact... and after telling me it had shipped, they back tracked and admitted that they took orders on something they never had.

at least the refund was prompt... avoid costupdate.com

Y do they have to put the PCIE in that spot. Who the heck uses a pcie! Grrrr...

The only board that has a good placement is the MSI.

Back