The ultimate fight : PSP vs. DS

PSP or DS?

• PSP

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • DS

Votes: 82 65.1%

• Total voters
I voted PSP but you have check buttons instead of radio buttons. Anyone could vote for both. *gasp* :eek:

I voted for both, they are both awesome, just depends on what games you are into and what you are looking for in a handheld.

DS for me, I got rid of my Psp and I don't regret it.

If I didn't have a ps2 or a gamecube, my answer might be different :)

I voted for both.... i own both, and i love them both..

the DS gives me interesting games, while the PSP gives me a bunch of cool games i never played on the PS2, plus Mp3 and movie capabilities...

Apples and oranges my friends.

It depends on what you want out of the unit, and the types of games you want to play.

I have a DS, and do plan on picking up a PSP as soon as their are a few titles I want to play.

Both, I use my PSP as a portable media device and my DS as a game machine.

Love both but voted for PSP as I use it more often (and I didnt know you could check both!).

PSP

I've never really cared for any Nintendo products.

Master > NES (NES had WAY more games though, I still respect the NES)
Lynx > Gameboy (Lynx was the great handheld that never was, I had a Gameboy)
PS1 > N64 (Cartridges suck, I'll stick with my load times for better content)
PS2 > GameCube
PSP > DS

i dont have either but from a perspective of someone looking to buy a gaming machine... i think i would go with the DS. it would be a cold day in hell for me to drop $20 for a mini DVD thing that i could play only on my 3" psp screen

I love the PSP concept.

I loved it until the day I finaly got my own... When I finaly held it in my hand... when the novelty of emulation and homebrews wore off... I realized it was just a bunch of things jammed together into one mediocre experience. Not that it's a bad handheld, it just wasn't for me. I don't care if I can run UMD movies or MP3s. I wanted what the Gameboy provided.

Nintendo DS, since I only need it for gaming, and it has far better games (Advance Wars!)

acascianelli said:
PSP

I've never really cared for any Nintendo products.

Master > NES (NES had WAY more games though, I still respect the NES)
Lynx > Gameboy (Lynx was the great handheld that never was, I had a Gameboy)
PS1 > N64 (Cartridges suck, I'll stick with my load times for better content)
PS2 > GameCube
PSP > DS

on a side note...lynx sucked! awful games. Gameboy was so much better even black and white. Ultimate portable though was the turboexpress :D

Both PSP and DS are really cool for different reasons. I think though a slight nudge towards PSP just because it can do more.

DS all the way.

The PSP has a bunch of cool features I would never use. I am not buying a movie twice so I can watch it on a tiny screen; and unless it can hold about 20gigs worth of MP3s, I'll just bring my smaller more portable MP3 player with me.

Nintendo has the same advantage type of advantage in the handheld world as Sony does in the console one, a huge volume of games. The simple fact that I can play both my GBA and DS games in it makes the DS the clear winner. Not to mention the IMO Nintendo still makes some of the most fun and inovative games on the market.

It is also a huge plus that the DS uses basically industructable cartridges. I work in a high school and have seen both PSP disks and DS cartridges dropped in the hallway inbetween classes and trampled on by tons of students. The PSP disk is f'ed up and completely destroyed; while the DS game just needs a good blowing off and your back in business.

Finally, who can argue with a touchscreen!!

DS is a pretty crappy system compared to PSP. I just bought Mega man and Street Fighter for my PSP, and ohhhh man I love this system. Add that with GTA, Burnout, Ridge Racer and Lumines and i'm one happy camper. I'd take any of the titles mentioned above over some new mario game.

As for the touch screen comment above me....i'd rather have PSP's super crisp widescreen LCD over nintendos average "touch marios private part!" display.

ds vs. psp...now THERE'S a question i never thought would get asked!

i love my psp, havent played the ds.

I'm thinking of picking up a PSP just for the street fighter alpha game.

I was seriously considering a PSP until I tried one out in ebgames. It was running some fighting game and I kept having to deal with "loading ...", so freaking annoying. Then I thought back to my X360 running on a HD rear projection. There is no way a fps or racing game on the PSP could compare. The ds offers some different games and can play the same old games the PSP can.

cb9fl said:
I was seriously considering a PSP until I tried one out in ebgames. It was running some fighting game and I kept having to deal with "loading ...", so freaking annoying. Then I thought back to my X360 running on a HD rear projection. There is no way a fps or racing game on the PSP could compare. The ds offers some different games and can play the same old games the PSP can.

Niether handheld is meant to compare to a pimped out home theater....they're just fun on the go. I play mine at home sometimes ( SF owns :D ) but I usually just game on my PC or watch TV and play PSP when im at school or work!

True but a huge part of the fun in an fps or racing game, at least to me, is the realistic and immersive graphics. Playing something like that on the PSP especially with the annoying loading would drastically reduce my enjoyment of the game.

cb9fl said:

That is one of the things I miss with the DS. I love using the Gameboy player on my gamecube and my super gameboy player back in the SNES days. Now if sony made it so you could play PSP games in the PS3, I would seriously consider getting a PSP for myself instead of borrowing my friends.

Sony, well actually the game companies, need to do something about the load times on the PSP. I use my handhelds a lot for very short game play, like 5-10 min. When I use a PSP for such a short time I feel like I spend a lot of time just waiting to load, and the DS has a lot more games better geared toward short bursts of game play. (MP pinball, Wario Wares series, Feel the Magic, Nintendogs, just to name a few)

Circuitbreaker8 is right that it is unfair to compair any handheld to a home theater. This is one of the problems with the PSP game line up. So many of the games are just remakes of ones avaliable for the PS2. For the same reason that I won't buy movies twice so I can play them on the PSP, I am not going to buy a PSP game that is a crappy port of the PS2 version. Yes, yes; I know Nintendo does this too; but there is a big difference between playing a port on the PSP that has worse graphics than the PS2 version I bought last year then an identical looking port of a game I got in 1986 for the NES.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Niether handheld is meant to compare to a pimped out home theater....they're just fun on the go. I play mine at home sometimes ( SF owns :D ) but I usually just game on my PC or watch TV and play PSP when im at school or work!

His main issue were the loading screens.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
DS is a pretty crappy system compared to PSP. I just bought Mega man and Street Fighter for my PSP, and ohhhh man I love this system. Add that with GTA, Burnout, Ridge Racer and Lumines and i'm one happy camper. I'd take any of the titles mentioned above over some new mario game.

As for the touch screen comment above me....i'd rather have PSP's super crisp widescreen LCD over nintendos average "touch marios private part!" display.

How old are you? Just out of curiousity :p
I have a feeling this is going to turn into another one of "those threads", but hopefully I'll get proven wrong. "DS is a crappy system compared to the PSP" - isn't that just an all-encompasing opinion? But since you said it, it must be true :D

Personally, I don't like the "jack of all trades, master of none" mentality that the PSP takes. That, and the optical media being a HUGE mistake, IMO. I'd rather have a machine that focuses on fun, not gimmicks. And it's funny that before the PSP and DS came out, most journalists would say the opposite about each system. (PSP = fun, DS = gimmicks) - now they are saying the exact opposite.

I thought you said the optical media for the GC was genious? Optical media for my 360 is great. If you're going to argue that optical media reduces battery life take a note from one of the posters and realize that with a simple add-on you can have around 9hrs of UMD use.

I'd rather have a machine that focuses on fun, not gimmicks.

Yeah, we'll see after the Revmote is released.

No no no, you misunderstood me. Optical media for consoles = the only choice. Optical media for handhelds = battery draining, easy to kill your system/disc type of mistake. UMD movies read at a very slow, steady speed. That 9 hours won't translate to game loading, never mind the fact that you have to spend extra money to get that extra battery life. The DS comes with 6-12 hours out of the box, depending on whether you use the wifi a lot or not.

I have no doubt that the Revolution will start out with some gimmicky-ass games from 3rd parties, just like the DS did. But look at how that's panned out a year after its release ;)

Optical media for handhelds = battery draining

Like I already stated, as a poster pointed out with a simple add-on you can get 9hrs out of UMD.

Optical media for handhelds = easy to kill your system/disc type of mistake

If a person if incompetent enough or cares so little for their personal possessions they deserve what they get.

But look at how that's panned out a year after its release

How long has the PSP been out? A tad over one year and it's doing damn well especially considering Sony had no prior user base.

How much is the addon? ;)
If a person is incompetent? Well, one of the reasons that Sony is getting whooped by the DS is because there aren't very many parents who would even consider a PSP for their kids. And there's reasons for it. It's not about "caring little" about your possesions, it's about "shit happens". You can flush a DS down the toilet and it would still work. If I owned a PSP, I wouldn't even want to accidentally drop it 3 feet onto a pillow.

Lastly, yes Sony is doing well for a handheld that is so unfocused. It is already past the "Game Gear" stage, and holding its own. I am just personally disappointed in it, since (to me) they still haven't gotten past the "we want to be an Ipod killer" thing, nor have they gotten away from the "portable PS2" thing since there are so many ports. I was quite close to purchasing one at launch, but in retrospect I'm glad I spent money on my PC instead. Sony still hasn't given me a reason to buy one, especially considering I already own a PS2, and I already own a video-capable Ipod.

I don't need my DS to play MP3s, though... homebrew is all I care about. I've got an Ipod that can do the rest. Don't argue semantics with price, since the DS easily wins that category :p

I have both and really like both but the PSP just inches ahead by a small margin.

PSP: 9
NDS: 8

The PSP is better.

Rich Tate said:
Apples and oranges my friends.

It depends on what you want out of the unit, and the types of games you want to play.

I have a DS, and do plan on picking up a PSP as soon as their are a few titles I want to play.

No doubt about that. I bought a DS with birthday money, and got a PSP from one of those pyramid-type sites (GiftFiesta). (Yes, I really did get it!)

While my fiancee is playing the heck out of Sonic Rush right now on the DS, I'm having a blast with Burnout: Legends on the PSP. I'm eager to get a bigger memory stick to put some movies on there too. And the M3 for the DS is simply a godsend.

(Tangent... Reading "apples and oranges" makes me realize that I forgot to bring a piece of fruit with me to work today. Damn it.)

I'm thrilled with both systems, but I'm playing the PSP more nowadays, mainly because I used to love Burnout on the console and I'm glad I can play it again (I only have a Gamecube now, and its version of Burnout isn't as good, in my opinion). But I did play Zelda: The Minish Cap through to completion--one of the only games I've ever beaten--and I'm currently playing Metroid Fusion, Phoenix Wright, and Trauma Center, along with a few others here and there.

Hence, I voted for both, because both are great machines.

steviep said:
I don't need my DS to play MP3s, though... homebrew is all I care about. I've got an Ipod that can do the rest. Don't argue semantics with price, since the DS easily wins that category :p

It's funny you should mention the MP3 playback. I'd actually considered using the PSP as my new music player, but with tax money I ended up getting a used iPod (4G, 20GB) instead. I opted to avoid a video iPod because I knew that I'd likely not use it as much as I might use the PSP for watching videos, and even though I have an M3 for my DS, I never use it for anything but homebrew...I just don't think it's really capable of doing anything like that easily right now.

I've always been the type of person to use one tool for one job--and make sure that I get the best tool for that job.

Back