The Supermicro X8SI6-F-O came with (2x) SAS to 4 Sata cables. Can I use it this way?

Mysteriouskk

Weaksauce
The X8SI6-F-O mobo came with 2x SAS to 4 SATA cables, and I was just wondering whether it will work like this?

I have a Norco 4224 case, and I want to connect the cable from the SAS connector on the case connections (the ones the case comes with) to the 4 sata ports on the motherboard. Can I do this?

No. Breakout cables are either forward or reverse and cannot be used interchangeably like that.

The X8SI6-F-O mobo came with 2x SAS to 4 SATA cables, and I was just wondering whether it will work like this?

I have a Norco 4224 case, and I want to connect the cable from the SAS connector on the case connections (the ones the case comes with) to the 4 sata ports on the motherboard. Can I do this?

Backplanes with miniSAS 8087 connectors cannot be connected to onboard sata.
You can only connect such a backplane with a SAS controller

Gea

As Blue Fox wrote in post #2 of this thread, SFF-8087 to 4 x SATA cables come in two varieties, often called forward- or reverse-breakout cables.

reverse-breakout cable : useful for connecting an SFF-8087 backplane port to SATA motherboard ports

forward-breakout cable : useful for connecting a SATA backplane port (or individual SATA drives) to an SFF-8087 port on an HBA card

one of these days i'm going to un-lazy myself and find out what's physically different between forward and reverse breakout - i imagine its just pin mapping.

As Blue Fox wrote in post #2 of this thread, SFF-8087 to 4 x SATA cables come in two varieties, often called forward- or reverse-breakout cables.

reverse-breakout cable : useful for connecting an SFF-8087 backplane port to SATA motherboard ports

forward-breakout cable : useful for connecting a SATA backplane port (or individual SATA drives) to an SFF-8087 port on an HBA card

So I will need to buy a different one that came with the mobo?

Is this what I need?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=reverse_breakout-_-16-133-033-_-Product

So I can just hook up the 4 sata cables to the sata ports on the mobo and connect the sas connector to the Norco SAS port?

Yes if you use a reverse breakout cable. It does suck there is a forward/reverse setup for these cables, obviously it's confusing too.

Since the Norco only has SFF8087 on the backplane your options are a reverse breakout cable or get a HBA controller and run SFF8087-SFF8087.

Back