The same complaints on this and various other forums about bo

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Of late in this forum and others I have noticed a commonality in many threads with regards to:

“I turned on my computer only to have the fans start for a moment then stop.”

“I turned on my computer and it wants to double or triple boot but still won’t run.”

“My Power supply must be bad because…See all of the above.”

The issue is most common to current Intel based boards paired with multi rail power supplies.

This is going to sound funny however I have had it work a number of times now with non boot situations, double boot situations etc. The best part, it’s free and simple.

Turn off your computer, then power down the power supply using either the switch or simply unplugging it. Wait a moment or two and turn the PSU back on but don’t attempt to start the computer. Once you see the lights on the motherboard are on (showing your PSU is working) unplug the 24 pin motherboard connector from the board. (Yes, with the PSU still powered on). After another moment or two plug the 24 pin connector back in. After that then try to power up your computer.

The problem seems to exist primarily with Intel chipsets and multi rail PSUs. Take note that virtually all the big players in the PSU business have been busy switching back to single 12v buss PSUs.

This problem can crop up randomly, after BIOS flash or reset or even a momentary loss of power to the computer.

To date I’ve done two Abit and one Msi board with 100% success. I stand corrected I did it to mine which makes 4 successes with boards that were already to be RMAd.

Like I said, free and easy, if it works for you life is good.

Not too sure that it's only due to the multiple rails and the current P35 chipset.

The double boot issue is inherent to Intel's current P35 chipset. So basically, it's not a problem with the PSU, it's the chipset itself. The double boot issue isn't harmful to your system. It's an annoyance, yes, but not a major problem that that could affect system performance.

Though your workaround is free and painless so why not try it, anyway? It can't hurt.

Not too sure that it's only due to the multiple rails and the current P35 chipset.

The double boot issue is inherent to Intel's current P35 chipset. So basically, it's not a problem with the PSU, it's the chipset itself. The double boot issue isn't harmful to your system. It's an annoyance, yes, but not a major problem that that could affect system performance.

Though your workaround is free and painless so why not try it, anyway? It can't hurt.

If you look through this forum alone the same symptoms come up all the time. You could well be right about the PSU issue, however I have yet to duplicate the problem with a good single rail PSU.

At any rate as I said in another post I'm doing my best to quantify this to a true fix or at least some series of actions to create a true cure.

So far of the three customer machines I've worked on two of the machines had eaten their os completly.

Hey, I know it's not cancer, but a cure, any cure would be good, no?:)

that sucks i got so mad one day and broke the power button on my case by pressing it too hard thinking it must be stuck where were you then

can anyone confirm that this actually works

Back