The PS4 Is Like A Really Perfect Gaming PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
Epic's VP Mark Rein says the PS4 is like a really perfect gaming PC. Wait, when is the last time Epic even made a game for the PC? Exactly. :rolleyes:

"It's like giving you the world's best PC," he added, pointing to Sony's introduction of "super convenient" features such as the ability to play games while they're downloading and perform background updates. "The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that... they're making a really perfect gaming PC," he added.

The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that...

Stuff. Things like that. Good way to backup your point.

I don't know the "official" details of the new xbox, but the PS4 looks as though it will be the lead platform of 2014 and forward.

They claimed the PS3 was all that too...then they pushed updates to remove the dual 'as advertised' boot functionality, locked accounts, etc...

Don't trust anything Sony or anyone else claims about a Sony device.

If the PS4 is a PC, why should anyone buy one then? My Rig that I built in 2010 and have upgraded the video card and memory can probably still run circles around it.

I don't know the "official" details of the new xbox, but the PS4 looks as though it will be the lead platform of 2014 and forward.

nearly identical same GPU same CPU same amount of ram

"Really perfect gaming PC", except you're locked into a specific performance level and feature set for software development for the foreseeable future with no ability to upgrade to the next generation at will by simply swapping out a single component (GPU, CPU, etc).

Sure, sounds like nirvana to me.

A perfect gaming PC? Where games cost $50 to $60 dollars each and I cannot upgrade the hardware? Sorry, I do not agree with that at all.

I'm not sure if it is "perfect" but Sony made a HUGE step forward in that area regardless with the PS4.

Why does anyone quote Epic? When's the last time they said something that wasn't stupid?

If the PS4 is a PC, why should anyone buy one then?

Software.

As long as the hardware isn't too drastically different (and it won't be), the hardware is irrelevant in determining which will be the "lead platform". Unless Sony seriously gets their shit together with PSN, they'll continue to take a backseat due to Xbox LIVE.

The 8 GB of GDDR5 memory is huge advantage to the PS4. Even with DDR3 memory as cheap as it is, PC game developres still must built games to run on 1-2GB of ram. Even if the PS4 doesn't need 8 GB of ram to play games, being able to suspend the game and swith to another is a nice feature that PC gamers do not have.

As for the PS4 being the "perfect gaming pc", until we see it doing 60FPS @ 1080p w/4X AA, lets hold off on that claim, Epic.

Even as a graphics whore I couldn't care less.
.... where's my kb/m, huh??? WHERE??

"super convenient" features such as the ability to play games while they're downloading and perform background updates"

These sorts of things are what really gets on my nerves. Who cares about this CRAP! There are a thousand things i'd rather get fixed... added.. or SHOULD be a default aspect of a todays games (that arent) that tehse kinds of uselss "features" should be the last thing they fluff around with!

If i can't wait a few minutes for an update or a download or both... when there are bigger fish to fry (poor network code, bugs, no modding, no LAN+WAN features, less multiplayer features... the list goes on and on.. and on.. and fking on!!) then it pains me to say... that perhaps my gaming days just wont be worth it any more. Stick with the ones that are "the best we have atm". What a sorry state it is when you have to settle for crap and have no options when there are more developers then ever.

So things that I've been able to do on my PC for the last decade? Err... okay? How is this exciting?

I think it is a step forward hardware wise. At least programers will be coding on somewhat familiar hardware. That could be negligible if the OS is hard to program for.
Of course I am not a programer, this is just an opinion I have formed on what I have read.

"The other exciting thing is that... when you think about Windows, even Windows for most people is tied to about 2GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows.

LOL! This article must have been written 10 years ago!

Just read the article and I have to say, what sources does he site for this 32 bit windows and 2GB of ram as the majority? :rolleyes: The reality in my opinion is, hey, the PS4 will make us a lot more money but that does not sound as good, does it?

As long as there are hordes of aging P4 Dells with Intel graphics chipsets still used for ordinary office work (like the one I'm using right now), those quotes about being better than what most people have will be technically correct... Though it's kind of like including junkyard used cars that can technically drive in a survey of automobiles.

They claimed the PS3 was all that too...then they pushed updates to remove the dual 'as advertised' boot functionality, locked accounts, etc...

Don't trust anything Sony or anyone else claims about a Sony device.
Yea man. Cell was going to change the future. LOL.

"Really perfect gaming PC", except you're locked into a specific performance level and feature set for software development for the foreseeable future with no ability to upgrade to the next generation at will by simply swapping out a single component (GPU, CPU, etc).
You are taking his quote out of context. It's more so that the HW is such a big leap forward, that for a specialized system like that, it's "perfect". But the word "perfect" itself is subjective so...

Why does anyone quote Epic? When's the last time they said something that wasn't stupid?
Haha, I spit out some of my tea reading this. G1

Software.. As long as the hardware isn't too drastically different (and it won't be), the hardware is irrelevant in determining which will be the "lead platform". Unless Sony seriously gets their shit together with PSN, they'll continue to take a backseat due to Xbox LIVE.
That's what I was thinking but also because MS always had superior development platforms and related resources for developers.

I think it is a step forward hardware wise. At least programers will be coding on somewhat familiar hardware. That could be negligible if the OS is hard to program for. Of course I am not a programer, this is just an opinion I have formed on what I have read.
Yea, let's see if SONY learned anything from their Cell fiasco.

"The other exciting thing is that... when you think about Windows, even Windows for most people is tied to about 2GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows.

LOL! This article must have been written 10 years ago!
I guess you didn't see the thread when a developer stated that due to the 8gb of ram, the PS4 will be faster than PC's for 4 years. The cliff notes? Most PC's aren't that powerful when you include non-gaming pc's. Remember, we are a niche of a niche market.

Just read the article and I have to say, what sources does he site for this 32 bit windows and 2GB of ram as the majority? :rolleyes: The reality in my opinion is, hey, the PS4 will make us a lot more money but that does not sound as good, does it?

i would too
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
says other wise
almost 70% of PCs are running a 64bit ver of WINDOWS
if you toss in other OS like OS X and *nix its closer to 75% are running some 64bit OS

Software.
As long as the hardware isn't too drastically different (and it won't be), the hardware is irrelevant in determining which will be the "lead platform". Unless Sony seriously gets their shit together with PSN, they'll continue to take a backseat due to Xbox LIVE.

What I meant by "details" was things like the user interface, the changes to xbox live, whether the rumors of "no 2nd hand games" and the like will come to fruition. MS could try something really stupid (which they are great at doing as of late) and cause themselves to be dropped quickly by consumers.

A few stupid commercials, a funny bug at their E3 presentation, or some stupid move with "connectivity" that no one likes.

If the PS4 acts like they claim, they've got a winner.

Hey, Rein, how much is Sony paying you to stay stupid shit like that? Whatever it is, you deserve a raise.

oh the avg PC that has steam is as follows
Windows 7 64bit
8GB ram
2.5Ghz Intel dual core cpu
GPU gets a bit fuzzy becouse its so split up but its ether a Intel HD3000 or nVidia 560Ti
because of how it reports all GPUs in a system but id bet its more likely the 560Ti
1920x1080 monitor

What I meant by "details" was things like the user interface, the changes to xbox live, whether the rumors of "no 2nd hand games" and the like will come to fruition. MS could try something really stupid (which they are great at doing as of late) and cause themselves to be dropped quickly by consumers.

A few stupid commercials, a funny bug at their E3 presentation, or some stupid move with "connectivity" that no one likes.

i think Sony and MS are playing chicken with the no used games thing
both have ways of implementing it but are waiting to see who does it first

You are taking his quote out of context. It's more so that the HW is such a big leap forward, that for a specialized system like that, it's "perfect". But the word "perfect" itself is subjective so...

He said "Gaming PC". There's absolutely nothing to take out of context. It's not a PC at all. Had he said "Gaming system", then you'd have a valid point since you yourself pointed out that it is a specialized system.

A perfect gaming PC? Where games cost $50 to $60 dollars each and I cannot upgrade the hardware? Sorry, I do not agree with that at all.

^This

A perfect gaming PC? No
A really good (maybe perfect for this generation) console? Yes

uhhhh yeah, sure. ok. right. uh huh. now gtfo with that weak ass gaming pc analogy. wow.

money can make anybody an ass puppet.

H to the end.

Just PR speak. Like anything a big company says is ever worth taking seriously.

It's simply impossible to make a console with a TDP of 200-250W comparable to PCs which can output 4 or 5 times the wattage - even with the optimisations of console development + low power parts.

oh the avg PC that has steam is as follows
Windows 7 64bit
8GB ram
2.5Ghz Intel dual core cpu
GPU gets a bit fuzzy becouse its so split up but its ether a Intel HD3000 or nVidia 560Ti
because of how it reports all GPUs in a system but id bet its more likely the 560Ti
1920x1080 monitor
actually it's of the steam users who answered the survey the data is as follows:

furthermore, peak steam users are only 5.2 million
I can't find where they list survey response rate

more than twice that amount bought Diablo III
more than twice that many have WoW subscriptions

neither game is on Steam and have much lower system requirements

BF3, a game requiring its players to meet or exceed that average, has sold over 15 million copies (three times the amount of peak steam users)

just three games not available on steam accounting for over eight times the amount of steam users should illustrate that using steam stats to assess what the average gamer may or may not be doing is not going to give valid results

The 8 GB of GDDR5 memory is huge advantage to the PS4. Even with DDR3 memory as cheap as it is, PC game developers still must built games to run on 1-2GB of ram. Even if the PS4 doesn't need 8 GB of ram to play games, being able to suspend the game and swith to another is a nice feature that PC gamers do not have.

As for the PS4 being the "perfect gaming pc", until we see it doing 60FPS @ 1080p w/4X AA, lets hold off on that claim, Epic.

I don't think you quite understand what you are saying. The 8 gig of GDDR5 ram is shared between the CPU and GPU not the same as discrete video and system RAM, and i don't know where you get the idea that developers are stuck making gmeas that run on 1-2 gb of RAM.....I've been running 4gigs for the last 6 years and the latest games are asking a MINIMUM required to play the games of 2 - 4 gigs.
Im not sure where you got the idea that you can suspend one game and go play another, it does not state that anywhere in the article.
...pointing to Sony's introduction of "super convenient" features such as the ability to play games while they're downloading and perform background updates.
It performs exactly like a PC you can download crap while you are playing a game or install something while using the system.....this is something ALL PCs can do.

It likely won't. If you recall, Microsoft has been making many of the same claims of their PC OS from all the way back in Vista, where games could be played while they are being installed and such.

It all SOUNDS good, but I have no faith in a system's features until it can be demonstrated in person.

Also, as for the quotes, I'm sorry, but a "perfect gaming PC" to me needs to have some backwards compatibility. That's one way PCs are really superior to the average console, the huge amount of backwards compatibility that doesn't require it to be "officially" re-released.

I forgot to add that these guys are just blowing smoke because they are partnered with Sony. Its just a Hype machine running. They are making claims about stupid stuff. Its like saying we improved the cut and paste function on windows.......completely worthless "improvement" because there isn't anything new to his claim of "super convenient features" over current PCs.

I don't think you quite understand what you are saying. The 8 gig of GDDR5 ram is shared between the CPU and GPU not the same as discrete video and system RAM, and i don't know where you get the idea that developers are stuck making gmeas that run on 1-2 gb of RAM.....I've been running 4gigs for the last 6 years and the latest games are asking a MINIMUM required to play the games of 2 - 4 gigs.
Im not sure where you got the idea that you can suspend one game and go play another, it does not state that anywhere in the article. It performs exactly like a PC you can download crap while you are playing a game or install something while using the system.....this is something ALL PCs can do.

Yeah, and the background updates is something even my Wii U can do. I'd hope Sony could at least so that much, and the same with the next Xbox.

Uhhh, ok. Was Sony up in Epics ass, withdrew, and left them bent over in a goat se pose?

It likely won't. If you recall, Microsoft has been making many of the same claims of their PC OS from all the way back in Vista, where games could be played while they are being installed and such.

It all SOUNDS good, but I have no faith in a system's features until it can be demonstrated in person.

Also, as for the quotes, I'm sorry, but a "perfect gaming PC" to me needs to have some backwards compatibility. That's one way PCs are really superior to the average console, the huge amount of backwards compatibility that doesn't require it to be "officially" re-released.

So totally true, this is something that Sony actually had in their first version of the PS3 because I remember they patched that out of them so no one could play PS2 games anymore. Kinda like getting rid of the Linux support on the PS3.....

If the ps4 is like a perfect gaming pc, I'll be able to use a mouse and keyboard for all FPS games instead of being gimped with the stupid gamepad? LOL, yeah right.

Back