The Problems With 'Call of Duty's' Funeral Scene

HardOCP News

[H] News
While the funeral scene in CoD: Advanced Warfare is dumb, does it really warrant this much attention?

Call of Duty, for all of the franchise’s Michael Bay-esque bombastic spectacle—some of which I’ve absolutely loved in my time with Advanced Warfare so far—also wants to portray the horrors of warfare honestly. To achieve that goal, it’s integral to make the darker moments just as poignant and powerful as the cool, explosions-in-your-face sequences.

[Spoilers for the first hour of Call of Duty's campaign follow.

Wait, so the article's image, which depicts a funeral and a picture of your partner, and the first paragraph, aren't spoilers?

"I’ve wept openly while playing through key scenes in Journey and Gone Home in the last few years"

Yeah. Trash the big-budget shooter because it didn't get the feels 'just so'......

I think the primary issue is that they trivialized the experience with a fucking button press. It should have just played out with no interaction at all.

I think the primary issue is that they trivialized the experience with a fucking button press. It should have just played out with no interaction at all.

Everyone knows that to sincerely pay respect you have to do up, down, up, down, left, right, X, Y Start. :D

Oh yeah, they trivialized a funeral scene at the beginning of a big-budget action game with a button press...had they not included that, my God.......it could have been so much more poignant...

Oh yeah, they trivialized a funeral scene at the beginning of a big-budget action game with a button press...had they not included that, my God.......it could have been so much more poignant...

You missed the point. Did it really need to have a button press at all?

shouldve just been a small cutscene

i thought it was funny and stupid, and creepy.

Bullshit, you can't "show the true horror of war" when the entire existence of the game is based upon a romanticized view of war itself.

Everyone knows that to sincerely pay respect you have to do up, down, up, down, left, right, X, Y Start. :D

It's ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A you heathen! :p

Something must be wrong with my game. Every time I press X my guy just shouts "Jason".

I understand the character is set up to "know" the guy. But does the story allow you to get attached to him? From what I've seen, this happens rather quick. So to me, the funeral would be more of an inconvenience. Or a chance to be Chazz Reinhold.

When I saw that screen cap i was like "WTF? PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS? WHAT IDIOT THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!"

and then I realized it's another COD pos.

It should've included more than a single button press, like the other people asking you in an increasingly more aggressively tone to leave for disturbing the service by acting like an idiot. If you get too out of hand the wife gets out her gun and caps you in the head and you have to restart the level.

It's not like any of the dudebros who play CoD play the single player anyway so who cares

I agree. I actually think what they showed in-game and the cutscenes was pretty powerful. The simple act of putting in a single button press at the end trivialized the whole event into the ground for me. If Mitchell had done the act of paying respects without that one simple input, it would have been more lasting. As convoluted as the campaign stories in all Call of Duty games have been, I always thought they were able to mix in emotions pretty well. I haven't been getting any of that from AW so far.

I understand the character is set up to "know" the guy. But does the story allow you to get attached to him? From what I've seen, this happens rather quick. So to me, the funeral would be more of an inconvenience. Or a chance to be Chazz Reinhold.
You don't get to know him at all, but I have a lot of human empathy so I was still able to understand the sorrow. It was explained at the very beginning of the game that you two were close, and honestly that was enough for me.

That would have made Pastor Fred Phelps appear and defecate himself.

As funny as that sounds, I doubt he could pull it off. I'm almost certain he has a rainbow colored sign saying "God Hates Fags" planted so far up his dead rectum that he wouldn't be able to defecate.:p

The only thing you do in First Person shooters is shoot everyone else they have to have funerals in the game.

non issue, the interaction from the player in the scenes seems odd, could have been a cinematic. Other than that I don't see a problem.

There should of been one of those meters, where you had to tap the button and keep it in the middle. You need to pay your respect, but not too much of you'll make the family feel awkward. Too little and your squad shuns you. Maybe even unlock an achievement for getting it perfect.

When I saw that screen cap i was like "WTF? PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS? WHAT IDIOT THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!"

and then I realized it's another COD pos.

There is a button to make Batman pay his respects to his deceased parents in Batman Arkham City.

Just saying........

There is a button to make Batman pay his respects to his deceased parents in Batman Arkham City.

Just saying........
But that was a hidden scene that was not part of the main gameplay and not part of the plot. This scene in AW is not optional, including the button press.

But that was a hidden scene that was not part of the main gameplay and not part of the plot. This scene in AW is not optional, including the button press.

So that makes the button press in the one game good and the button press in the other game bad? o_O

Forced to press the button = bad. Optional to press the button = good. ;)

+100000 that's the only "problem" I see in games like this, we should have at least more than one choice!

non issue, the interaction from the player in the scenes seems odd, could have been a cinematic. Other than that I don't see a problem.

You don't see a problem? Press X to see a problem.

You didn't press X. You don't see a problem. Game over.

It's a non-issue. Even with Press X to pay your respect, it's adding a little interaction. I don't care for them myself, but just because it's there, I'm not going to freak out. Press X and move on. Now, it if was every cinematic, then it'd get annoying and require some bitching...

Back