- Joined
- Jul 17, 2006
- Messages
- 14,461
eBay, $125How much was this? I assume you got it on ebay?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
eBay, $125How much was this? I assume you got it on ebay?
Yes, next year it Sandy Bridge will officially be classified as retro, crazy as that sounds.Do you all think that in short time, Sandy bridge may show up here? It is older that Phenom and Nehalem were when this thread started, the only thing I see is that for most tasks, sandy bridge is still relevant.
Oh yeah, I recently acquired a nehalem and yeah, it's almost too usable, besides being forced into MBR and windows 11 freezes upon install.Yes, next year it Sandy Bridge will officially be classified as retro, crazy as that sounds.
You are right in that it is still very usable for modern tasks.
I think as time goes on we are going to see less of a skew with the usability factor for modern tasks, as even Nehalem from 2008 or 2009 can still be equipped with 12GB+ RAM, SATA SSDs, and PCIe 2.0 transfer rates.
Go back to 2008, though, and something from 1993 like a Pentium 1 system certainly could not perform any contemporary task from that time period.
Nice build, that was the first GPU to hit the 1 TFLOP FP32 mark.Now that I have 16:9 panels I figured it's time to put this Radeon HD 4850 512MB I've had for years through its paces...
View attachment 722159
I would have paired it with a P35/45 motherboard and a Q9650 instead of this G31/Q6700 combo but my DP35DP got ruined by cat piss (and I'm not spending $150-200 for a replacement!). Pretty sure I left my Q9650 and other LGA775 CPUs back in the Southwest, but I just have to persuade my friend to get off his ass and mail them out to me....
View attachment 722160
I mean, nehalem isn't impressive (after trying to use it a bit more), it is definitely slower feeling than sandy bridge, but that doesn't change that it can still do tons of tasks today, but it definitely shows its age, unlike sandy bridge (in my honest opinion).Oh yeah, I recently acquired a nehalem and yeah, it's almost too usable, besides being forced into MBR and windows 11 freezes upon install.
Yes, next year it Sandy Bridge will officially be classified as retro, crazy as that sounds.
You are right in that it is still very usable for modern tasks.
I've never tweaked LGA 775, although, id imagine with some people getting 2x overclocks, bus speeds get pretty high!Retro is a state of mind, unlocked multiplier and locked bus overclocking doesn't feel retro to me. It will undoubtedly be 15 years old either way.
I really need to amass a small collection of 775 CPUs to play with. They might be too slow to run anything new but they'll always be fun to tweak.
The great ones did 100% but practically all of the cheaper chips would do 50%+. Intel had tons of headroom on them and the boards usually had FSB headroom too. Good times.I've never tweaked LGA 775, although, id imagine with some people getting 2x overclocks, bus speeds get pretty high!
The great ones did 100% but practically all of the cheaper chips would do 50%+. Intel had tons of headroom on them and the boards usually had FSB headroom too. Good times.
Do you have any to show off?400 and 500 FSB was some great times on P45 and Wolfdale! Still have some Gigabyte MBs, CPUs and RAM.
You are upgrading the shit out of that Nehalem platform.Small update:
I installed an nvme drive. On a now 16 year old system... Isn't it amazing? The people who make Legacy nvme bootloaders are magical, it's so great to have an nvme on this old thing. Windows 10 on an nvme feels so quick, since I had gotten used to the hard drive on 7. I have also installed my deepcool ak620 cooler, it didn't work with LGA 775 mounting holes, but it did with the 1366 holes. I think deepcool did that by accident, but who knows, it now runs pretty cool, (60c with my overclock) and I'm excited to get a Xeon eventually.
Nvme adapter:
View attachment 726054
Thanks a lot to rEFInd!!
View attachment 726071
And my huge air cooler in a tiny case:
View attachment 726074
Finally, my CPU-Z (update, new O/C):
View attachment 726131
Well, its all stuff I had, just in other systems, namely, my AMD FX that supports native NVME. I also have DDR3 up the wazoo, albeit some has died over the last couple years. But yeah, I have like 3 mobo-cpu combos that all run on DDR3 (haswell, FX, Nehalem). I am just giving the Nehalem special treatment ATM. My fx now has 4gb of ram and a Dell PSU.You are upgrading the shit out of that Nehalem platform.
This is peak 2000s, respect!![]()
I have a Z77-A, GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 and a P67A-GD65-B3 and 2 2600k's.Recently, I have been too busy to mess with my retro builds, but I want to give an update on my next project. I do not want to commit any heresies, but it is going to be sandy bridge. Why? I have heard the stories about the legendary 32nm Sandy bridge 5ghz+ OCs, and I love my 32nm FX in the same way that people love sandy, you can chuck voltage and clocks at it until the temps become an issue- something that can be mitigated easily.
My plan so far:
-It started after seeing some guy's FS post here, with both a 2500k and 3570k. That is what told me that hey, maybe this will be my opportunity to go through the LGA 1155 platform.
-I found an auction for an asus pz77-v (I think that is the name...?) that is listed for parts (he said only lights, no post, but generally had little info.), but it literally had no bids, and I bet $1 plus $7 shipping. It ends in a day, so wish me luck!
-I went on aliexpress for some DDR3 and saw that I could get 4x4GB 1866 for literally like $16 all in, or get 2x8GB for the same price. I want 4x4gb mostly for looks.
-I saw a $5 i3 3220 to hopefully use to test and troubleshoot that board.
That is as far as I have gotten
Lol, or a troubleshooting nightmare and -$13, if the board is truly toast.I have a Z77-A, GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 and a P67A-GD65-B3 and 2 2600k's.
Best proc that I ever had. I could do 4.5 with stock volts on my P67.
You will have fun guaranteed.
So, I have another update-- I kinda struck it lucky on the silicon lottery with my 8300-- a little bit. I have it with a 240mm aio, and I have it 5ghz stable at 1.49v (that goes to about 1.50 in LLC). Is that a pretty good chip?--Update!-- My Fx-8300 arrived today and I have put it in. Also, with FX, the best thing is that I can actually use 32gb of ram. So far, my OC success has been 4.8ghz @ 1.392v (under load with LLC) that ended up BSODing while downloading Windows updates... Since then, I just set the multiplier down a notch and I am typing this right now at 4.7 ghz. My temps under load are around 52-53c,
Probably a little above average.So, I have another update-- I kinda struck it lucky on the silicon lottery with my 8300-- a little bit. I have it with a 240mm aio, and I have it 5ghz stable at 1.49v (that goes to about 1.50 in LLC). Is that a pretty good chip?
Uh, take me with 2 grains of salt, but I can confirm that a fermi card is at least compatible with those really old apis. Id suggest doing some research (GPt search is really good at this, in my experience)I have a question: although the GTX 780 / 980 is probably the most powerful GPU that's Win XP compatible, do they have any problem running earlier XP era games? DirectX 7... etc? Or If you're building an XP machine, you'd go for something like 6800 Ultra / 7800 GTX?
That kind of troubleshooting is always the worstI've since attached a heatsink to the CPU and installed Windows 7 x64, complete with updates. I'll dredge out the old 30" for some high resolution fun. Unfortunately the backlights are noticeably warmer in temperature and far dimmer than my LED backlit panels for my daily driver. As for an adapter to use with my main 1440p display, as far as I'm aware it is not made (dual link DVI-D source => DP 1.x output for display), so if I want more than 1920x1080 through a DVI to HDMI adapter dongle it's back to the dimming, old (power hog of a) display it is. And contrary to what HWINFO says, the 5v rail is more or less dead on (as are the other rails as well). A few quick probings at idle and load with an el-cheapo 2 decimal multimeter confirming as much that all the rails are good and within spec.
View attachment 731805
View attachment 731807
With the ~3 day marathon of installing updates out of the way it's time to at least eliminate the PSU from the equation. I've encountered driver kernel restarts or freezes here and there on the 650W Corsair TX650 you'll see throughout this thread and my posted photos. Time to see if it happens with the RM850 as well. Using GeForce Driver releases 301.41 and 307.74 for Win7 x64. I hear that the 18x.xx and 19x.xx releases work best according to a Google search-a-rino but I'd like to have drivers running that were current when the last of the bulk of DX9.0c titles hit the market around 2012-2013. If someone has input on the driver situation with these SLI bricks, please do share your experience with the driver situation.
The card currently installed has been cleaned with a fresh application of Noctua NT-H1 on the GPUs using an X style application across the GPU heatspreaders. I've been using this method for over 10 years with good, consistent results. I double checked the internal ribbon cable and it seemed to be fully seated without any physical defect. I made doubly sure that the internal cable was snapped back in correctly as well during reassembly. My second working 295 dual PCB needs to be disassembled and cleaned as well, but that's a job for daylight hours. Tonight it's a "casual" check since it's been a couple weeks since working on this; running a few different games for 45 minutes back-to-back and see what, if any, issues crop up.
If I still have issues I'll swap out the QX9650/4G DDR3-1333/790i SLI Ultra build for a QX6700/4G DDR2-800/P5N-D 750i SLI combo to rule out motherboard issues. And if I yet still have issues I may need a different enthusaist class board to test with. I don't trust that Intel G33 board to reliably deliver ~75W over the PCIe slot over a gaming session. Again, a project for a different day should I continue to have issues.
Now, to test...
If you want to risk damaging that thing, maybe try a delid? I do not know very much about the Nvidia heat spreaders (it's before my time), but also, my guess is that it's just a big, beefy cardIt is the worst. I've encountered a couple crashes in 3DMark Vantage and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky as well as very high GPU temps. High 80s to low-mid 90s °C with fan speed around 75% when fully stressed. I'm starting to really wonder how well the thermal paste spread on the GPU heatspreaders and heatsink when I reassembled the card after a cleaning. I'm definitely taking it apart again in the next day or two to check my work when I muster the willpower to take apart that nightmare sandwich again. Alternatively I could leave the installed 295 alone and take apart the second "working" card for a repaste and clean first...
That's perfect for like overkill dx9-early dx11 games. The 680 shreds Crysis, along with nehalemI scored a $20 LGA1156 motherboard (Intel DH55HC) on eBay (sadly no chipset RAID on it, though) to go with a Core i7 870 I've had on hand for over 2 years that was pulled from a dead Dell Optiplex. Also found a GTX 680 cheap:
View attachment 735621
I've never really messed around with Nehalem/Lynnfield so this should be fun.
I legit jumped from LGA775 to LGA2011-v3 (x99 platform Haswell-e), so I missed quite a few in-between that era... lolI scored a $20 LGA1156 motherboard (Intel DH55HC) on eBay (sadly no chipset RAID on it, though) to go with a Core i7 870 I've had on hand for over 2 years that was pulled from a dead Dell Optiplex. Also found a GTX 680 cheap:
View attachment 735621
I've never really messed around with Nehalem/Lynnfield so this should be fun.
I went from P35/LGA775 to Z77 LGA1155 (had an i3 2120, i5 3570K, and i7 2600 in that DZ77SL-50K motherboard at various points). A few years later in April 2018 I finally went X99/i7 5930K, then later i7 6900K. Both systems served me well for many years each.I legit jumped from LGA775 to LGA2011-v3 (x99 platform Haswell-e), so I missed quite a few in-between that era... lol
That was my general thought. Eat any DX9 and early DX11 title alive at 1440p. No compromises.That's perfect for like overkill dx9-early dx11 games. The 680 shreds Crysis, along with nehalem
Good thing that I both don't plan to overclock because the motherboard doesn't allow for it... lolI personally find 45nm in general kind of delicate, it doesn't like a ton of voltage. But also, I forget that I'm trying to run overclocks of +50%. I think it's also me being spoiled by FX, and that it'll just shrug off voltage until it cooks itself.
From my fuzzy memory I went from a Dell Pentium 90 -> HP Vectra Pentium 133 -> AMD K6/2 266 (I think) -> AMD Athlon 1GHZ (I bought the 1GHZ chip for bragging rights in high school LoL) -> Intel E5200 -> Intel i7 2600 - > Intel 4790K -> Ryzen 3700X and then on the same MB to a Ryzen 5900X and then I downgraded to an i7-8700 as my life sucks and I now live at an Extended Care Facility (AKA Nursing Home) a Dell Latitude 5511 with the i7-10850H is now my main PC for nowI went from P35/LGA775 to Z77 LGA1155 (had an i3 2120, i5 3570K, and i7 2600 in that DZ77SL-50K motherboard at various points). A few years later in April 2018 I finally went X99/i7 5930K, then later i7 6900K. Both systems served me well for many years each.
That said, I'm glad to be back on AMD. My experience with Ryzen has been a very positive one.![]()