The PC Industry Is Betting Big On Gamers

Either you're full of it or your memory is fading. RO2 was about as broken as Assassin's Creed Unity at launch. And the devs pissed on their old fan base. To make up for it, they reset everyone's unlocks, which a whole bunch of us opposed anyways. I've unlocked standard issue accessories multiple times because of the crappy & broken unlock system.

Save for spotty design and a poor LOD system, the game does work okay now. But I couldn't connect to servers for weeks at a time.

Re read my post. I never said it was a smooth launch (it certainly wasn't, but I don't recall having it as bad as you did). Civ5 had some real issues on launch too.

All I said was that I was anticipating those titles enough that I was willing to put up with the risk of them being bad on launch, and that that is unusual for me.

pretty much all games are made on PC, when when Autodesk, 3dmax Maya etc... tools run on consoles.

And yet game devs create the game with the console in mind and then port it to PC. They currently develop for the least common denominator

And yet game devs create the game with the console in mind and then port it to PC. They currently develop for the least common denominator

Sadly, because in many instances, doing a PC version will require a massive rewrite and balancing changes. Take expanded view distances. Balancing, enhanced AI awareness to reflect player's view distance, ect. In such instances the PC users may just get extra pretty smoke, fire or shadows but still get smaller maps.

Zarathustra[H];1041841640 said:
I don't know. I think the default settings are fine.

Click to embiggen:

That being said, I run my 4k desktop at 100% scaling.

I don't see the point of going 4k to just scale everything up. That's why I went with a 48" screen, and sit at a normal monitor distance from it.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, the default setting was 300% scaling. I scaled that shit right back down to 100% again.

Please tell me they aren't going to force scale all the UI elements up at 4k now. I see very little point in 4k at low screen sizes, like those 27" panels that keep coming up cheap on MonoPrice.

That's my catch 22 with 4k

Small 4k screens makes text in that image completely illegible, large screens would make the text too far away from my nominal viewing position (I stare slightly down at the centre of the screen, large screen would require me staring up, which, for some reason, makes me dizzy and my neck hurt).

But... If I am able to find a desk where I can place the bottom edge of the monitor (not the stand, the actual bottom of the panel) flat on the top of the table, I'll gladly give large screen a second though, but as it is, I find the top edge of the screen too high up.

Is there a VESA mount for 40" that can do that? I was thinking those mounts might not be strong enough to hold a screen that size.

Sadly, because in many instances, doing a PC version will require a massive rewrite and balancing changes. Take expanded view distances. Balancing, enhanced AI awareness to reflect player's view distance, ect. In such instances the PC users may just get extra pretty smoke, fire or shadows but still get smaller maps.

So lets code for a dumbed down version and they try to upscale it for the better platform. Hence why we have all these terrible console ports.... and they wonder why PC gaming is going down hill.

4k with some of the settings turned down looks 10000x better than 1080p at max settings any day of the week. :D You should try it sometime if you have not already done so.[/QUOTE

I play at 1080P on a 60" TV with all the eye candy turned up plus AA and SweetFX. I can't imagine making things smaller would gain me anything at all except having to turn settings down. No thanks... ;-)

You are thinking incorrectly in this instance. Things do not get smaller at all, only incredibly sharp and clear. :) However, I would not replace that TV since it cannot be that old just yet. :D

I see it differently.
There are more games and quality games coming out for PC than ever before.
The more games there are, the more interest there is in it as a gaming platform and the more there will be in the future.

Some of the games are poor ports.
Some are excellent ports.
Some are PC exclusives or are well written for PC.

The quality of PC gaming is very high in general and has benefited from ported console games.
I dont use a console any more because PC gaming is a large step ahead in quality.

I like how there is only a passing paragraph about how nearly half of all PC gamers build their own systems, and then the rest of the article is yet another circlejerk about how manufacturers need to diversify their mobile offerings. It's The Verge, though, so it was expected.

4k with some of the settings turned down looks 10000x better than 1080p at max settings without proper antialiasing any day of the week.
Added a caveat there, I've seen both, 4k adds detail, but against 4x SGSSAA, it's not THAT big a deal. Without AA? Yes, it makes a big difference.

You, sir, are cray-cray. Halving your framerate from 60 to 30 and turning down some settings from Ultra does NOT look better than running at 1080p60 with full Ultra settings and good AA turned on and/or enabling DSR...

I mean, I play @ 1080p on my main display which is 48" and I sit only like 5 feet from it. I can usually get AA/DSR tweaked well enough where I can't see jaggies anymore... and 60 FPS vs 30 FPS is just night and day. Once you get used to 60FPS it is REALLY hard to go back to 30, IMO...

I see PC gaming getting a lot more better in the coming years. With the release of refunds on Steam I think that's completely changed the playing field. No longer is it "tough shit" when a game doesn't work, we now have the power to say "FUCK YOU!" right back at the dev's/pub's and get our damn money back.

Hell, look at Arkham Knight...you think they would have taken the game down like they did had it not been for the refund feature? Of course they wouldn't have.

That and the fact that PC hardware is becoming more and more cheaper and more and more powerful means you no longer need $1000 to make a nice gaming machine. You can basically build one for the same price as the consoles just about and get better performance. Now that DX12 is right around the corner that add's even more power to weaker hardware.

So yeah, PC gaming is here to stay and I see no reason why it won't be getting larger.

You, sir, are cray-cray. Halving your framerate from 60 to 30 and turning down some settings from Ultra does NOT look better than running at 1080p60 with full Ultra settings and good AA turned on and/or enabling DSR...

I mean, I play @ 1080p on my main display which is 48" and I sit only like 5 feet from it. I can usually get AA/DSR tweaked well enough where I can't see jaggies anymore... and 60 FPS vs 30 FPS is just night and day. Once you get used to 60FPS it is REALLY hard to go back to 30, IMO...

Really? You have not sat in front of my computer so you have no idea what you are saying. 4k blows away 1080p on the computer, no two ways about it. Also, if there is one thing I have learned over the years, it is that if you are happy, do not try to change things just because someone else is not happy with what you have or do. :)

Oh, and I just noticed in your post, if you enable DSR, it is no longer true 1080p and even then, 4k looks much better natively than at 4k DSR / VSR.

Oh, and I just noticed in your post, if you enable DSR, it is no longer true 1080p and even then, 4k looks much better natively than at 4k DSR / VSR.

QFT. No matter what you do to 1080p it doesn't come close to 4K. Period.

That and the fact that PC hardware is becoming more and more cheaper and more and more powerful means you no longer need $1000 to make a nice gaming machine. You can basically build one for the same price as the consoles just about and get better performance. Now that DX12 is right around the corner that add's even more power to weaker hardware.

Uh oh, you just had to go a say that. :p You cannot build an equivalent PC at the same price as consoles for even an equal gaming experience. Hardware alone is not the only thing a PC is built on but, then again, it should not matter if you have to spend more, you still get a good machine regardless.

QFT. No matter what you do to 1080p it doesn't come close to 4K. Period.

Wish I could multi post in one post here because I forgot to mention, I can also reduce my resolution to 2560 x 1440 which still looks good if I need to. Basically, I am not forced to upgrade my video card if I cannot afford to or just do not want to at that time.

Back