The Original Xbox’s Oversized “Duke” Controller Returns This March

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

During an interview with CNET, Seamus Blackley revealed that the original “ridiculously large” Xbox controller will go on sale this March for $70. The revival is manufactured by Hyperkin and aims to be an authentic recreation that mirrors the size, shape, materials, and feel of the Duke.

Blackley takes the blame for the original Duke being the size it was. "I'd taken my eye off the ball when it came to the controller ... and the circuit board was given out to a vendor who was a friend of somebody or a brother of somebody. So the circuit board they came up with was the size of a dinner plate," he half-jokes.

2. DukenukemX

DukenukemX 2[H]4U

I still have my original Xbox duke controller and it plugs straight into pc if you convert the connector to USB. Probably a lot cheaper to find than this $70 controller.

pendragon1 likes this.
  3. variant

variant Gawd

You have to use a special driver which is a pain to use if you run a modern Windows OS and it won't work on a console, and this new Duke controller has an OLED screen.

4. Terpfen

Terpfen [H]ardness Supreme

I disagree that the Duke was in any way ridiculous, aside from the "lol hueg" meme that still surrounds it. I'll be buying this.

Armenius likes this.
  5. Absalom

Absalom Limp Gawd

I forgot how hideous that thing looked. Almost as hideous as the n64 controller. At least the duke controller has some ergonomics going for it, even if some of that requires having Andre the Giant hands.

6. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Hyperkin? pass. I don't trust their quality and QA on their stuff.

7. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

XBCD was just update in Dec. it not exactly pnp but it does work just fine. at least mine does...

8. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

I liked it. But I am a bit ham fisted. And the size will keep my kids sticky fingers away from it. Plus it's a bit of nostalgia.

9. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya 2[H]4U

We're classifying the OG XBox as nostalgia? F*ck I feel old :(

mbelue likes this.
  10. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

2002 was 15/16 years ago.

11. WhoMe

WhoMe [H]Lite

I have fairly small hands, so I have to go a little out of my way to find compact mice, and I prefer controllers to be on the compact size too (though I don't use them much). Actually I like a fairly large joy stick but I like the buttons to be close. So I imagine people with large hands have a similar problem, so this looks like good news for them--I wish a lot of things were available in more than one size.

12. DukenukemX

DukenukemX 2[H]4U

I should mention that I use it on my Linux Mint machine which just works. No need to install drivers or anything. It's really nice for RetroArch.

pendragon1 likes this.
  13. Shmee

Shmee Gawd

The big difference between this and the original Duke is that this one also has bumper buttons.

14. focbde

focbde Limp Gawd

Speak for yourself... I found it fit perfectly in my hands and the s controller, whilst OK, didn't sit as well. :)

15. umeng2002

umeng2002 Limp Gawd

When the original Xbox launched, I remember going into a Toys R Us to test play it.

I used "the Duke" once and never thought about buying an xbox again.

mbelue likes this.
  16. caddys83

caddys83 2[H]4U

Small man syndrome huh....

17. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 [H]ard|Gawd

Actually i have large hands and switch's controls work surprisingly well ( i had the opposite worry i guess) so its about design I guess.

18. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

My hands fall asleep with any modern controller, except the duke.

My biggest gripe is the lack of wireless mode. At least the last time I looked into it there was no wireless. And to charge 79 on top of that, so a cool 100 for us Canadians.

I dunno, might have to sit it out until they're placed into clearance bins.

19. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

i always really like the big Xbox controller but I also think the Atari Jaguar controller is fantastic.

20. homernoy

homernoy Limp Gawd

I really wish it was wireless, but I'll probably pick this up for my PC if only for the novelty.