The Original Xbox’s Oversized “Duke” Controller Returns This March

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
During an interview with CNET, Seamus Blackley revealed that the original “ridiculously large” Xbox controller will go on sale this March for $70. The revival is manufactured by Hyperkin and aims to be an authentic recreation that mirrors the size, shape, materials, and feel of the Duke.

Blackley takes the blame for the original Duke being the size it was. "I'd taken my eye off the ball when it came to the controller ... and the circuit board was given out to a vendor who was a friend of somebody or a brother of somebody. So the circuit board they came up with was the size of a dinner plate," he half-jokes.

I still have my original Xbox duke controller and it plugs straight into pc if you convert the connector to USB. Probably a lot cheaper to find than this $70 controller.

I still have my original Xbox duke controller and it plugs straight into pc if you convert the connector to USB. Probably a lot cheaper to find than this $70 controller.

You have to use a special driver which is a pain to use if you run a modern Windows OS and it won't work on a console, and this new Duke controller has an OLED screen.

I disagree that the Duke was in any way ridiculous, aside from the "lol hueg" meme that still surrounds it. I'll be buying this.

I forgot how hideous that thing looked. Almost as hideous as the n64 controller. At least the duke controller has some ergonomics going for it, even if some of that requires having Andre the Giant hands.

You have to use a special driver which is a pain to use if you run a modern Windows OS and it won't work on a console, and this new Duke controller has an OLED screen.
XBCD was just update in Dec. it not exactly pnp but it does work just fine. at least mine does...

I liked it. But I am a bit ham fisted. And the size will keep my kids sticky fingers away from it. Plus it's a bit of nostalgia.

I have fairly small hands, so I have to go a little out of my way to find compact mice, and I prefer controllers to be on the compact size too (though I don't use them much). Actually I like a fairly large joy stick but I like the buttons to be close. So I imagine people with large hands have a similar problem, so this looks like good news for them--I wish a lot of things were available in more than one size.

I should mention that I use it on my Linux Mint machine which just works. No need to install drivers or anything. It's really nice for RetroArch.

The big difference between this and the original Duke is that this one also has bumper buttons.

I forgot how hideous that thing looked. Almost as hideous as the n64 controller. At least the duke controller has some ergonomics going for it, even if some of that requires having Andre the Giant hands.

Speak for yourself... I found it fit perfectly in my hands and the s controller, whilst OK, didn't sit as well. :)

When the original Xbox launched, I remember going into a Toys R Us to test play it.

I used "the Duke" once and never thought about buying an xbox again.

Actually i have large hands and switch's controls work surprisingly well ( i had the opposite worry i guess) so its about design I guess.

My hands fall asleep with any modern controller, except the duke.

My biggest gripe is the lack of wireless mode. At least the last time I looked into it there was no wireless. And to charge 79 on top of that, so a cool 100 for us Canadians.

I dunno, might have to sit it out until they're placed into clearance bins.

i always really like the big Xbox controller but I also think the Atari Jaguar controller is fantastic.

I really wish it was wireless, but I'll probably pick this up for my PC if only for the novelty.

Back