The Optimus Keyboard has a date!!

Great idea for a keyboard, I am just afraid what amount of money they will ask for it.

I hope they also consider a mini keyboard version...though Feb 2006 seems extremely optimistic (no pun inteded), since they could of had a real buzz if they had a prototype at CES.

Now will I be able to have screen savers for my keyboard???

If its $300 there is no way I'm buying it. Maybe at $150.

This also my first time seeing this and I must say its an awesome idea.

Is it wireless?

I've had my eye on this puppy for a while, but I have a feeling that even it costs $500 it will be hard to find. Is this technology in mass production?

If it $300, I'm definitely in. The ultimate gamers keybaord! I've been wanting a Logitech G15 (backlighting is great in the dark!) but I'll wait and see where this goes.

I have to admit, I've got a Microsoft Elite Bluetooth, and I just love the feel of the keys. No other keyboard, even Microsoft ones match the feel of this puppy. But this will be killer for night gaming!

That is one awesome looking keyboard, but i too am afraid of what it will cost. I could easily see it going for $299 or up, and being in short supply.

$300+ sounds kinda high for a good mobile phone.

altec said:
I'm going to call $299.99 :eek:

From the Art Lebedev website: "It will cost less than a good mobile phone."

If for nothing else I like the sense of humor on the site:

"
It will support any language or layout.

Moscow is the capital of Russia.

Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence
"

"
It has a numeric keypad because we love it.

There’s no snow in Moscow in summer.

It will be available worldwide (why not?)
"

mtl_hed said:
If for nothing else I like the sense of humor on the site:

They should put the following:

In Russia the keyboard types ON YOU!!!

But anyway I will get one if it's $200.00 or less, it's just so damn cool.

a good mobile phone, without a 2-year contract with a service provider, runs in the $300 to $500 range.

it's a beautiful piece of gear for sure, but i'll stick to my G15!

I'd guess it at $300, but if it's $200 I may well buy one. Depending on warranty and dead pixel policy... I mean, it's basically a bunch of displays designed to be hit repeatedly, so it better have a solid warranty.

It’s in the initial stage of production.

We hope it will be released in 2006.

It will cost less than a good mobile phone.

It will be real.

It will be OS-independent (at least it’s going to be able to work in some default state with any OS).

It will support any language or layout.

Moscow is the capital of Russia.

Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence.

It will be an open-source keyboard, SDK will be available.

Some day it will be split (and made “ergonomic”).

It will most likely use the OLED technology (e-paper is sooo slow).

Our studio is located two blocks from the Kremlin.

It will feature a key-saver.

Keys could be animated when needed.

It has a numeric keypad because we love it.

There’s no snow in Moscow in summer.

It will be available worldwide (why not?)

OEM is possible (why not?)

best gaming, digital video editing, digital audio editing. (well until you learn the hot keys)

I have been trying to find something to buy lately, I have seen this before, but now since it is coming soon, I will have to buy it!

I can't wait.

I honestly don't see whats so great about this for gaming. I mean, after you play games for a while, you have one control scheme you use in every game, and you have your eyes on the screen and not the keyboard. It doesn't really matter if there are pretty arrows there instead of WASD, does it? Same thing with typing, after you learn to type, you don't need all the keys labeled, or at least I know i dont. I would rather save a couple hundred bucks and use a basic keyboard and use the money toward something that I'd notice a bigger difference with, like put it toward a better video card.

Im calling bs on the date..but if it really comes out then, my saitek eclipse better make its time, it has no chance to survive.

Im wondering where the keyboard is going to get the graphics and things to display on the keys?? Will it come with profiles for games and programs? That would be cool...

J-M-E said:
Im calling bs on the date..but if it really comes out then, my saitek eclipse better make its time, it has no chance to survive.

Im wondering where the keyboard is going to get the graphics and things to display on the keys?? Will it come with profiles for games and programs? That would be cool...

Hopefully it'll come with software so that you can program it...that'd be sweet!

J-M-E said:

You answered your own question, yes, it will use software to control the individul LCDs, I assume it will have some type of controller inside of it with some flash memory to hold the images for each key, I want to get a tablet and draw my own personal keys for each key, that would be cool.

Borgschulze said:
You answered your own question, yes, it will use software to control the individul LCDs, I assume it will have some type of controller inside of it with some flash memory to hold the images for each key, I want to get a tablet and draw my own personal keys for each key, that would be cool.

That would be cool but i suck at drawing hehe..

Definitely buying this thing, It will be awesome for FPS :D

It would appear to be a great keyboard for any purpose. Two things stand out for me: one, its going to be great for using at night, or in dark LAN parties, and second, it would make the perfect accessory for any case mod.

Say your mom or g/f or younger sibling uses your computer, you could set up the keyboard to really fuck with there heads when they login to windoze with their own profile! Swap keys around, animate them so they change to different letters - or when they type with two fingers, they will be chasing the letter z around :p !

I never thought I'd hear the term 'key saver' in my lifetime.

Can I mod it so I can watch +102 telly programs on the ickle screens all at once :D j/k. Or use certain keys to display system information (temps, fan speeds etc) while you're playing a game. Or even set up the numberic keypad as a bar graph (like a spectrum analyser) to show certain things.

The applications for this keyboard plenty, only your imagination and programing skills (and SDK) will limit them. I'm watching this very closely.

LongShotHero said:
I mean, after you play games for a while, you have one control scheme you use in every game,
If all you play is FPSes, sure.

I'm Just hoping Kyle gets to do a review on the Optimus keyboard when it comes out, to see his take on it.

Man, I'm getting that. When the SDK becomes availible, I'm stopping anything I'm doing in Java and writing something with that.

Why have that? My Logitech Elite>that.
You're not supposed to look at the keyboard. This is for newbs and learning typers.:p

Volucris said:
You're not supposed to look at the keyboard. This is for newbs and learning typers.:p

True Dat. I type and watch TV! But thats aside from the point. I still think the G15 will be a better investment. I have my moments when my keyboards take a beating....last thing i need is a broken keyboard that cost me out the ass.

Back