The Optimus Keyboard has a date!!

i think i would throw down up to $1000 on one of these badboys, depending on the dependability.

$300 i think is a great price

from the updated artlebedev site:

"OLED

Organic light-emitting diodes (OLED) in our screens last for 5000 hours of continuous use. The screen saving mode is designed to extend the keyboard’s lifetime. "

That's not a very good life of product time, I'd like to see what the warenty on this must look like if it even has one.

So how long will it last?
If you leave the OLED on it will last less than 7 months.
if you use your computer 8 hours/day then the OLED will last 1 year and 8 months
If you use your computer only 1.5 hours/day then the OLED will last 9 years

That's all assuming that that the continuous use number (5000) stays the same under on-and-off use. I doubt it does and I would say the effective use time drops 10-30% in a sparatic use test (8hours/day) from a continuous use test.

Is a $1,000 keyboard or $100 mini 'keyboard' worth it if it only lasts about 3 years?

OLED Typical Lifespan is 10,000 Hours. Thats 417 Days of life for those who have their computers on 24/7. If they could overcome the lifespan issue i would get one. Im not gonna spend 600 on a keyboard for it to die out a year and a half after i buy it.

German Muscle said:
OLED Typical Lifespan is 10,000 Hours. Thats 417 Days of life for those who have their computers on 24/7. If they could overcome the lifespan issue i would get one. Im not gonna spend 600 on a keyboard for it to die out a year and a half after i buy it.

Assuming you any of the following: a life, a job, school, the screensaver mode should at LEAST double that.

Well it solely depends on use. Definetly not a 24/7 option, and anyway, think about it. You wouldnt be staying up 24/7 using the kb right? I imagine that if you pay this much, they will replace it for you when it dies. Something to think about...

Volkum said:
Assuming you any of the following: a life, a job, school, the screensaver mode should at LEAST double that.
I have a life, i dont turn my computer off much at all. the Keysaver is there to prevent burning in. Your still using the OLED and its life with the keysaver.

German Muscle said:
I have a life, i dont turn my computer off much at all. the Keysaver is there to prevent burning in. Your still using the OLED and its life with the keysaver.

Sounds like it'll need an off button then.

It would be great If they could make the off switch only for the OLEDs so you could type/basic tasks with them off to save the screens but then when you needed labels/needed to show off you could turn them on.

LongShotHero said:
It would be great If they could make the off switch only for the OLEDs so you could type/basic tasks with them off to save the screens but then when you needed labels/needed to show off you could turn them on.
I would have the OLED's off all the time, because I don't need the characters on my keys, plus it would look cooler.

Borgschulze said:
I would have the OLED's off all the time, because I don't need the characters on my keys, plus it would look cooler.

Why spend $300 on a keyboard that's specific difference and advantage other other keyboard is the OLED's if you're not even going to use them? Is that being [H]ard?

Back