The one feature Android needs from iOS

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Why can't Android have a built in backup/restore like iTunes backup. Why do I need to install backup apps like Titanium, and then nandroid to do a full backup. Both of these require root.

So many major releases of Android, and still no sign of it - its not hard to build something like this. It's extremely useful and would allow so many people to save their data. Hell, why can't Google let me backup my apps to the cloud and restore them? Why can't my apps automatically install and restore data when I switch to a new phone?

This is probably the only good thing about iTunes. And its a big indication of how Apple sells a product, Google just sells an OS to oem's.

I agree. I was just talking to someone at work about this today. I'm baffled at how Google hasn't came out with a better backup solution for Android users. I root/ROM all of the phones anyway so it's not an issue for me, but that's inexcusable that I'm required to root just to back up all of my app data. It backs up everything else, including the apps, just not the saved data/settings associated with those apps.

On a side note; Titanium just updated their app to support app backups without requiring root. But you still need root access to restore them. So it's really only good for those people who what to backup their stuff before unlocking their bootloaders (which wipes all data).

Unlocking a bootloader doesn't always wipe all data, tho most manufacturer sanctioned methods do.

As far as backing up app data, there's already a mechanism devs can use to do this, and a setting to automatically restore your apps after a wipe... Problem is the vast majority of devs don't use it. I don't know the specifics of how much space they're allotted to save data in your account etc, but it's there.

Also, you can always look up the list of previously installed apps on the Play store.

Um nandroid? I suppose Google could integrate it somehow, but I feel hated the iTunes backup process, it took forever and ran like molasses on my windows 7 machine.

Conversely, the big advantage of Android is that you don't need to get stuck with something like iTunes (probably the worst piece of software ever developed by a large company at any time).

Personally, i consider the trade of worth it. To wit, why can't i use the internal memory of any Apple device like a simple hard-drive? Ho yes, iTunes. I really, really hate companies that try to enforce their way of doing things, and curtail my freedom to use my device as i see fit.

Last edited:
Hmm, this topic is perfect since I'm about to make the jump from IOS to Android for my phone. I've been running ICS on my HP Touchpad but honestly have never even looked into backup options.

I'll agree with the poster (even though I hate iTunes) that Apple devices have a definite advantage in the realm of backups, but I would have to take a guess that the reason Google hasn't made more of an effort is because of the fragmentation. With so many devices on different carriers with different bootloaders and different versions of Android it seems like it would be a nightmare to design a backup/restore software that could support everything "out of the box".

I think they're moving in that direction - they already implemented the "Freeze" feature from Titanium backup. It's only a matter of time before they have a full backup/restore solution.

The biggest problem they will have with implementing it is probably going to be OEM skins and the differences between each android build.

I don't think fragmentation has anything to do with this, they'd just ignore app data from built in manufacturer apps. Most of the built in stuff already syncs data somehow anyway (contacts, calendar, etc). Plus like I said, there's ALREADY a mechanism for doing this without root, just no one's using it. It's up to devs toiimplement it under the current system...

Game designers should be the first to jump on it IMO, it sounds silly but losing game saves is the biggest worry I've seen from people who don't root their phones... And it's understandable. Other apps sync content to the cloud and/or aren't hard to reconfigure. Many apps and widgets even allow you to export settings files to phone storage so you can import it later and restore your custom settings (no root required), I've yet to see a game allow that for save files (obviously with root you can do it manually, I actually sync my progress files to Dropbox so I can pick up where I left off on my tablet).

The 'backup/restore this device from Google' seems to do pretty much everything you would need... granted it requires a network connection, but still.

For instance, with my GNex after a factory reset (or wiping and flashing a ROM) the Android Startup Wizard asks me if I want to restore from Google... If I choose to do so it restores my WiFi settings, phone settings, wallpapers, etc. About the only thing it doesn't restore is SMS/MMS history, and local app settings.

It's not perfect but it's useful anyway...

I do agree though, a simple one button backup of everything would be really nice.

Since everyone is bitching about iTunes... Can't you do a cloud backup WITHOUT iTunes?

The 'backup/restore this device from Google' seems to do pretty much everything you would need... granted it requires a network connection, but still.

For instance, with my GNex after a factory reset (or wiping and flashing a ROM) the Android Startup Wizard asks me if I want to restore from Google... If I choose to do so it restores my WiFi settings, phone settings, wallpapers, etc. About the only thing it doesn't restore is SMS/MMS history, and local app settings.

It's not perfect but it's useful anyway...

I do agree though, a simple one button backup of everything would be really nice.
That only works for specific settings - not for full app apk's and their settings. Although, I'm pretty sure there is an API devs can use to back settings up to Google but that may cost them $$$

Since everyone is bitching about iTunes... Can't you do a cloud backup WITHOUT iTunes?
Yes you can.. as long as everything fits in the 5 GB they give you for free. Considering that is what.. 1/3 the amount of storage of their smallest iPhone5 I hope you don't have a lot of pictures/video/apps/etc. that you want backed up...

That only works for specific settings - not for full app apk's and their settings. Although, I'm pretty sure there is an API devs can use to back settings up to Google but that may cost them $$$

That's what I've been saying, pretty sure it doesn't cost the dev anything (tho storage isn't limitless, but you don't need much for a settings file). The setting Blue Falcon alluded to also starts re installing paid apps from the market post wipe (can't remember if it does free one too now since I always do it all manually from local backups). Seems devs have pretty much ignored this tho, I dunno what the issue is.

Anyway, the framework is already there, just needs to be put to use... If you wanna be more hands on you can always root and have at it tho.

Indeed I do miss the backup feature from iOS. Though I never understood why everyone hates iTunes. I haven't had any problems with it ever, and I actually like making playlist on iTunes more than WMP.

Indeed I do miss the backup feature from iOS. Though I never understood why everyone hates iTunes. I haven't had any problems with it ever, and I actually like making playlist on iTunes more than WMP.

WMP's another turd, and I hate iTunes mostly because of the many times I've had to restore/backup/fix libraries for other people, and how freaking long it takes... Though the fact that it offers very little options in how to manage a library would probably run a close second in reasons for hating it.

The thing is often sluggish but I've never had major issues using it, tho I mostly use it to backup and update an old IPod touch. Been using Media Monkey to actually manage my music on all my devices for years, so much more flexible and full featured. Foobar for playback when I want a smaller footprint (and to tinker with skins).

That reminds me of another reason ITunes is a pest, the constantly and unnecessary running processes... It's been that way for years, even when PC were sold with less than a gig of RAM and multiple cores was a dream (I've had to deal with it on plenty of old rigs). It hasn't gotten any more efficient either.

I agree. I was just talking to someone at work about this today. I'm baffled at how Google hasn't came out with a better backup solution for Android users. I root/ROM all of the phones anyway so it's not an issue for me, but that's inexcusable that I'm required to root just to back up all of my app data. It backs up everything else, including the apps, just not the saved data/settings associated with those apps.

On a side note; Titanium just updated their app to support app backups without requiring root. But you still need root access to restore them. So it's really only good for those people who what to backup their stuff before unlocking their bootloaders (which wipes all data).

While it isn't the easiest thing to do, it is possible to back up an Android device without root using adb
http://www.howtogeek.com/125375/how...kup-without-rooting-or-unlocking-your-device/

Heh, for the average user it's probably easier to root their phone with one of the many pre-packaged methods than to deal with the SDK to do that kinda backup... Not that it's terribly hard.

The iTunes backup process is far from perfect though, it's painfully slow and sometimes just doesn't work (usually when upgrading to a new iOS verison). It would be great if Google could implement a decent one click backup process though.

Actually, double tap to top is a feature sorely missing from Android... I mean seriously its that simple guys!

Thats the one annoyance I find on my GS3. Oh and the terrible battery life, unless someone can point me the right direction and not "Turn off Wi-Fi" etc etc, my old iPhones always had Wi-Fi on and it destroys this phones' battery life, even with Wi Fi off. Also, I have minimal services running.

Yes you can.. as long as everything fits in the 5 GB they give you for free. Considering that is what.. 1/3 the amount of storage of their smallest iPhone5 I hope you don't have a lot of pictures/video/apps/etc. that you want backed up...

The apps themselves do not use backup space. The saved data from those apps do. Music does not get backed up to iCloud either. So it is just that saved data and photos/videos.

Actually, double tap to top is a feature sorely missing from Android... I mean seriously its that simple guys!

Thats the one annoyance I find on my GS3. Oh and the terrible battery life, unless someone can point me the right direction and not "Turn off Wi-Fi" etc etc, my old iPhones always had Wi-Fi on and it destroys this phones' battery life, even with Wi Fi off. Also, I have minimal services running.

My phone has GPS and LTE on for at least 7 hours(school), and I use it for about 1 hour or so actually browsing/listening to music in that time. Then when I get home I use it for music(spotify) with WiFi and it takes me throughout the entire day. I have the weather widget upadate every hour, I also have it sync my emails(I believe every 15 minutes, might be hour though) and Facebook as well. I usually have around 10% after 17 hours of the phone being on.

Nandroid is a pain to use firstly because you have to go through the boot-loader to get to it instead of a 1-click-on-a-PC, and secondly because if you upgrade your OS you STILL have to manually reinstall everything because otherwise it will restore your old OS. While I will give it props for not *requireing* a PC (good if your phone borks while not at home) I still have to say in the backup/restore department Apple has it beat paws-down (if only iTunes *could* roll back to an older iOS...)

The apps themselves do not use backup space. The saved data from those apps do. Music does not get backed up to iCloud either. So it is just that saved data and photos/videos.

This. I have 2 iPads (16gb3 and 64gb1) backing up to iCloud and still have ~3gb available.

lol. Try the EVO 4G, debuted with iirc 4 hours battery life? I can get around 20 if I turn everything off and let it sit UNUSED, and around 6 hours if it's playing music, 4 hours on Web Browsing --- and this is with a 2x Capacity Battery... (outside of the WiMax lie, this is probably my biggest gripe with my EVO now, since ICS seems to have fixed most of my other problems like touch-panel not responding)

My phone has GPS and LTE on for at least 7 hours(school), and I use it for about 1 hour or so actually browsing/listening to music in that time. Then when I get home I use it for music(spotify) with WiFi and it takes me throughout the entire day. I have the weather widget upadate every hour, I also have it sync my emails(I believe every 15 minutes, might be hour though) and Facebook as well. I usually have around 10% after 17 hours of the phone being on.

Yeah, if I leave mine on idle it can reach 17 hours of the phone being on. If I want to use it extensively, I get about 3-3.5 hours screen time and it goes poof.

Btw, video/music does not drain the battery nearly as much as browsing as far as I can tell. I had 14% battery life and was able to drain it after about 58 mins of netflix.

14% battery life drains much faster from browsing.

Btw, video/music does not drain the battery nearly as much as browsing as far as I can tell. I had 14% battery life and was able to drain it after about 58 mins of netflix.

14% battery life drains much faster from browsing.

Browsing uses WiFi, While local video and audio just use the internal storage. If you stream the exact same songs and listen to them off the device you'll notice a huge discrepancy. (on my iPad I get like 8-10 hours of browsing max, vs something like 40+ hours of music, with the classic "one month" of complete idle time)

I get 4-5 hours of screen-on time on my EVO LTE, usually comprised mainly of web browsing and email... Phone idles like a champ tho, I'll get the same 4-5 hours of use whether I've been off the charger for one hour or ten. It seems par for the course for most current gen S4 Android phones. My previous EVO 3D did slightly worse but it wasn't a huge difference, this year's phones do much better on LTE tho since it's fully integrated into the SoC.

Moto phones (even non-MAXX) always do better with talk time but unless you really care whether you'll get 10 hours of talk instead of 8 or 6 it's probably irrelevant in the grand scheme. I tend to compare screen on time because it's a bit more relevant than most other metrics, but it can still vary wildly based on actual usage. Anandtech's probably the best place to look up battery tests. Android phones don't trail everything as a rule, though with so much variety you'll have your standouts (US One X) and your duds (Tbolt?).

Edit: My EVO 4G LTE is at 15% battery right now, 69% of the usage was by the display and 19% by the browser, the display has been on for
5h and 10m and I've been off the charger for nearly 12h. I think half that was on Wifi but I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference between Wifi and 3G unless I've got poor signal strength.

I'm curious about my mother's One X now, battery-wise, because AT&T LTE coverage around here is superb so it's probably a best case scenario (but she hardly uses it so it's harder to gauge). I've actually yet to see her phone drop to HSPA, even at the mall or movie theater (and I've had to look at the thing a lot as she learns to use it and asks me stuff, first smartphone).

Last edited:
backups
Nandroid is a pain to use firstly because you have to go through the boot-loader to get to it instead of a 1-click-on-a-PC, and secondly because if you upgrade your OS you STILL have to manually reinstall everything because otherwise it will restore your old OS. While I will give it props for not *requireing* a PC (good if your phone borks while not at home) I still have to say in the backup/restore department Apple has it beat paws-down (if only iTunes *could* roll back to an older iOS...)

There's apps like ROM Manager and Goo Manager that can automate the NANDroid process and make it a one tap step from within the phone's OS (though obviously it'll still need to reboot etc, but it can even be scheduled). I saw someone that developed a live NANDroid process on XDA a few months ago, haven't kept up with it's progress tho, the downside was that backups took like three times as long and the OS was unresponsive during the process so it was kind of a wash.

In any case, if you're performing NANDroids you're probably not averse to a little tinkering... Might as well be rooted and use Titanium Backup which you can definitely use to restore app data (along with all your apps) in a one step process. It's generally not recommended you restore app data across ROMs/updates for basic phone settings and whatnot, but for stuff like games and apps that don't provide core functionality but might still have a lot of settings it's perfectly fine.

Back