The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will do that when i get some chipboard to lay down across the joists. The problem is it is horrible up there, also my mom would ask why i have a massive sheet of chipboard...

I dont know RoBo but im tired and i have a headache :(

And my cat just scratched my brand new phone :(

ring do you live in a derelict house??

No lol, thats the loft. We havnt lived here long and the people before us had lived here for 50 years and never cleaned it once. We are getting it sorted out soon.

If we're not careful, this is going to become Dead Thread country. :)

Maybe I could go down to my basement and take some updated pics?

My shitty wireless router finally bit the dust, what do you think i shuold go for next? Can be anything but must be resonable.

I have the hardware ;)

I was thinking of IPcop with 3 interfaces + a wifi card.

You guys that use stuff like ipcop and m0n0wall, do you not use the firewall on your routers?

We use *nix distros such as ipcop instead of a router. Some of us find consumer routers not enough for our needs ;)

We use *nix distros such as ipcop instead of a router. Some of us find consumer routers not enough for our needs ;)
Gotcha thanks. I have always though about playing around with one of those distros, just out of curiosity can you tell me a few things that you use them for that consumer routers don't have?

Gotcha thanks. I have always though about playing around with one of those distros, just out of curiosity can you tell me a few things that they have vs consumer routers?

Yeah sure,

consumer routers only really have a very basic firewall and cannot really handle the throughput of people that use bittorrent heavily.

These unix based routers have advanced firewall features and can control access based on ip and mac address etc, they can also manage which machine has what bandwidth at which time etc.

Zones such as DMZ are available to place servers in, which is completly cut off from the 'green' network which your workstations are in.

These unix based routers are generally a lot more stable, also i forgot things like web caching, url blocking etc. the list goes on forever to be honest.

Example

example_ipcop_network.png

Yeah sure,

consumer routers only really have a very basic firewall and cannot really handle the throughput of people that use bittorrent heavily.

These unix based routers have advanced firewall features and can control access based on ip and mac address etc, they can also manage which machine has what bandwidth at which time etc.

Zones such as DMZ are available to place servers in, which is completly cut off from the 'green' network which your workstations are in.

These unix based routers are generally a lot more stable, also i forgot things like web caching, url blocking etc. the list goes on forever to be honest.

Great thanks a lot

Would deffinatly reccomend trying ipcop or endian. they have very powerfull easy to use web interfaces.

You can get a box with two interfaces, one for plugging into your modem and the other lan.

The number of machines you want to connect to the lan port is up to you, but to connect directly to another machine you need a crossover cable.

Heres my little corner of the Internet.

network.png

Just cleaned up the setup some, before and after shots.

Before:

p1100001.jpg

p1100002.jpg

After:

p1130005.jpg

p1130006.jpg

I know, I know its a rats nest. Its in a cupboard that no one looks in. Alot of the extra wiring from the computer is stuffed down in there as well to hide the cables. I'll clean it up at some point.

p1130007.jpg

My current setup pardon the mess (wireless until I run some cabling to it)

p1130008.jpg

Its actually not MS Paint. I'm using Linux. Its a program called Kivio. Its the KDE version of Visio. It was the first time I've used it. You should see what it turned out like when I was using GIMP (opensource version of Photoshop) trying to make it...it wasn't pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back