The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scheizekopf said:
I'd like to know too. Very nice equipment.

It's my Dad's company, I do this corporate network for him.

We have a touring agency that does trip packages across the US, we also have a 29 vehicle fleet of 57-Pax VanHool coach buses (We are looking into buying a couple of the Mercedes Setra buses, which are sexy) so we also rent out the buses to individuals and corporations alike (Very popular for NYC's corporate population) and we also have a full force maintenance and repair garage that is based at our garage in brooklyn, we repair, wash, dispose of waste, etc...

The network is used to link the 3 locations together (Tour Agency, Main Office and the Garage) The Cisco AVVID system along with a 3-point VPN allow for seamless integration of the phone system across the 3 locations, you can reaach any of the 16 phones on the network by a 4-digit extension. We are also looking to open up an office in mid-town Manhattan, so the voice system will help alot since its fully expandable.

We also use the network for a series of client-server applications, such as our IPS system for the punch clock for employees, that also processes payrolls and does automatic direct-deposit of funds. We also use GoCharts across the network to schedule bus routes, book trips and keep track of customer information and payment status. All of our buses feature a Pentium III Compaq Armada laptop with a GPS navigation system and a link back to our servers via the Sprint PCS wireless PCMCIA cards that actually lets us stay in contact with every bus that is en-route and we can also view it's possition on a map at any time.

And of course some of the basic things like an intranet gateway for all the computers in the network that has some services available for all of our employees.

The agency and the garage are connected with PTP DS1s and our office is connected via a partial OC-3 ATM and a DS1 as you've seen from the pictures.

My veryveryvery simple network.

Classic Surfboard 4100
dscf14519uw.jpg

The smoothwall system. 200mhz, 128mb ram, 3gig western digital caviar
dscf14489hf.jpg

100mb hub
dscf14501ex.jpg

Da main system in a G6-200 sever case
dscf14534ax.jpg

PlusLabs said:
04.jpg

Cisco VG200, Cisco 3640, Cisco 7960 VoIP Phones...
thats hot where can i get one of those fones and how much? and how much approx is it for the service for those phones? and can i keep my original number thru VoIP?

also, where can i learn more about VoIP and these phones in particular?

whats smoothwall?... is it necessary for a network? and why does it need its own computer to operate with?

smoothwall is a firewall distrobution of linux, you don't need it but you should have a firewall of some kind if you have broadband

wayne said:
thats hot where can i get one of those fones and how much? and how much approx is it for the service for those phones? and can i keep my original number thru VoIP?

also, where can i learn more about VoIP and these phones in particular?

whats smoothwall?... is it necessary for a network? and why does it need its own computer to operate with?
They don't work like that... those phones go for about $350 on eBay, you can buy them from a reseller for around $430 with power supply's if you don't have PoE.

You can't just use them like Vonage or something like that, it's a different system, it's like PBX but using IP protocol, you have to have some kind of a PRI for them to connect to, and you need a Cisco CallManager server that does all the processing and storing of phoen calls and such.

who needs a gui
http://automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

all you need to get a very simple first * setup running. I use it at my home with two VoIP phones like above, and software phones (x-lite) on all my pc's...and it is interfaced with the second phoneline coming into my house so that I can make regular telephone calls out on it, and then I also have an account with FreeWorldDialup so that I can make calls over the net to other FWD users without having to pay anything more than the bills for my cable internet!

hmmmmmm I have been wanting to check out the idea of getting some sort of cheap usb phone adapter or usb phone for skype or something similar... what are my options on the cheap? I cant afford a phone line, and my wireless internet (1.5/1.5 with pings in online games in the 50-100ms range with moderate load on the data line) ps excuse any typos im on my GF's system her kb is about to be replaced, my system is being refprmatted right now... readied for new parts going to arrive soon.

P.S. I'm a microsoft type girl, I run 2kpro. Ill try freeBSD but im just not good with it yet.

LadyJaqie said:
hmmmmmm I have been wanting to check out the idea of getting some sort of cheap usb phone adapter or usb phone for skype or something similar... what are my options on the cheap? I cant afford a phone line, and my wireless internet (1.5/1.5 with pings in online games in the 50-100ms range with moderate load on the data line) ps excuse any typos im on my GF's system her kb is about to be replaced, my system is being refprmatted right now... readied for new parts going to arrive soon.

P.S. I'm a microsoft type girl, I run 2kpro. Ill try freeBSD but im just not good with it yet.

Girlfriend?

I have a dirty mind. :rolleyes:

LadyJaqie said:

good with linux??
setup asterisk...and then get an account from something like Free World Dialup and you can call other people on FWD with it...or you can get a paid service that lets you place calls from the net to the POTS if you wnted to go that route too....

:rolleyes: men.

aaaaaaaaaanyways....

these are a bit out of date but not that bad, Ill be taking new ones once I get the P3 and all which shouldn't be but a couple weeks.

I just moved into my house a month ago abouts. finally got everything prettymuch settled in...
My network planned for this tiny house is pretty big. anyways, on to the pics.

the house itself, very small.
front_t.jpg

it's a four room house.

on to the network...

(click on the pic for full size image HUGE)

the wireless tie in to the internet. supposedly 1.5/1.5 which is the fastest they serve. they call it 'wireless DSL'. its not been here long and it's a very new service. www.carrollsweb.com

left is Mako's machine. ASrock 478 SiS board, 40GB maxtor, 512MB corsair valueram PC2700
right is Foxen's machine (mine).
stats are available here but note the SCSI drives failed so I am running on a 120GB WD SE
(the compaq cel600 is long gone)

I am upgrading my system with this stuff, but keeping the barton 2500+... and my girlfriend will get the old parts as a computer. The deceleron will then become our intranet server.

planned network diagram

UPDATE
my new serveris in and built!!! :D YAY im EXTATIC!!! the thing rocks!

right now Im serving from my main box. if they are down then my machine is down.

gimme a week and ill actually have a server if the guy on the [H] FS/FT threads comes through with my PIII...

he got the MO and sent the parts yay I cant wait :D

PlusLabs said:
They don't work like that... those phones go for about $350 on eBay, you can buy them from a reseller for around $430 with power supply's if you don't have PoE.

You can't just use them like Vonage or something like that, it's a different system, it's like PBX but using IP protocol, you have to have some kind of a PRI for them to connect to, and you need a Cisco CallManager server that does all the processing and storing of phoen calls and such.

I'm fairly certain with the SIP image you don't need a PBX. Setting it up for a provider would be a pain though. Not to mention that's a pretty expensive / over featured phone for your standard VOIP provider. :)

Finally replaced the moldy old Hub's I had with some better switches and upgraded from an old Terayon modem to one of the new DOCSIS-compliant Motorola SB5100's.

Had one of the IBM servers I had in the cluster completely die (motherboard kicked it), so I had to split up the cluster, leaving only one Primary Domain Controller with no backups.

Added a couple more workstations and am working on adding yet another one (Europa). Just waiting for my Intel Retail Edge deal to come through :)

Next stop... Gigabit over copper, Gigabit switching, wired 100 Mbps Ethernet print servers for both printers (HP DeskJet 920 & Color LaserJet 2550L), Cisco POP router installation & LAN segmentation with Cisco routers...

Current Network Layout:
whistlernet.jpg

The New Dells (both Armada & Thinkpad laptops were not attached to network at picture time & Europa is under construction...)
thenewdells.jpg

thenewdells2.jpg

Maybe you should have got 8 or 16 port gigabit switches instead of the 24 port 10/100. 48 ports for 7 connections seems like a bit much to me.

Scheizekopf said:
Maybe you should have got 8 or 16 port gigabit switches instead of the 24 port 10/100. 48 ports for 7 connections seems like a bit much to me.

They came as a package for a decent price, so I couldn't turn them down really. Also, I'm not done adding systems yet and will need some expansion room. :)

this is the [H]ard forums
not the Maybe you should have got 8 or 16 port gigabit switches instead of the 24 port 10/100. 48 ports for 7 connections seems like a bit much to me. forums

heh
j/k
but really...when is 48 ports just 'enough'....really....

Well if you got a good deal then that's all that matters. I have switches not even hooked up. I know it's Hard Forums. I have an extra 24port, 16port, and 5port switches not even being used. But I'd rather have gigabit with less ports than regular 10/100 with lots of ports.

Here is a quick diagram I did in Visio to show the entire network, IP Addresses have been excluded to protect the innocent.

NetworkDiagram-122104.jpg

This is my rack which Boomstick is in.

rackinaction.jpg

Boomstick has been a long time in the making so I am very happy with how it has turned out. I hope to have it up running my website and possibly my mail server soon, but for now it just sits there and looks pretty.

I'll take pictures of the rest of the computers soon but for now I'm going to dream about my LCD that is coming in tomorrow.

Cactus Jack said:
Here is a quick diagram I did in Visio to show the entire network, IP Addresses have been excluded to protect the innocent.

NetworkDiagram-122104.jpg

This is my rack which Boomstick is in.

rackinaction.jpg

Boomstick has been a long time in the making so I am very happy with how it has turned out. I hope to have it up running my website and possibly my mail server soon, but for now it just sits there and looks pretty.

I'll take pictures of the rest of the computers soon but for now I'm going to dream about my LCD that is coming in tomorrow.

daaaaamn
you have some killer hardware for a clarkconnect box

draconius said:
daaaaamn
you have some killer hardware for a clarkconnect box

I'd stick a real linux distro or FreeBSD on it but I'm too much of a *nix noob to use it correctly. ClarkConnect will have to do for now until I am taught by the wise ones in the way of the *nix.

Cactus Jack said:
I'd stick a real linux distro or FreeBSD on it but I'm too much of a *nix noob to use it correctly. ClarkConnect will have to do for now until I am taught by the wise ones in the way of the *nix.

well at least you have it on the lan, and im assuming use it for file serving or something....

some people have machines like that for a firewall/router. feh screw that! my router is a 233 with 128Mb ram and FreeBSD 4.10. it works great, even with 20+ people on the lan at lan parties. hehe

Scheizekopf said:
Nice rack CactusJack.
are you a poet and didn't knowit? :D
men with racks, scary thought... ;)
I keep invisioning a caveman tossing rackie parts at a T rex.

(not meant to be insulting btw just something that goes through my mind when that phrase or something similar is said)

I guess it is true what they say about racks: You go out and buy a new one and you want to show it off to everyone.

Cactus Jack said:
I guess it is true what they say about racks: You go out and buy a new one and you want to show it off to everyone.

The problem is if you go too big your likely to run into backbone issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back