The Official P45 Asus P5Q Motherboard Thread

Power off,then switch the bios chips around and it will boot up,you can then flash to whatever bios version you like.

Power off,then switch the bios chips around and it will boot up,you can then flash to whatever bios version you like.

Okay. I swapped the chips around as the CPR didn't work, but still no-go. I either get a blank screen or the checksum comes back up. I might try an RMA to be honest.

Itsabird,
have you pulled the clear cmos jumper?
I would follow the instructions to do that, power up, then put it back and see if that helps.

The chip swap should work,the other chip is the backup,which you basically switch to the primary socket when you swap them round.

EDIT-maybe you should rma it then.

I'm having a lot of the same problems as basement jack, ie vista (Ult, 64 bit) is taking way too long to bring up the first three or so setup pages, and refuses to go further than the "Enter your product key" page.

I'm sorry to say I know what you're going through!
one of my machines has a 9450 and a P5Q-E.
The one I'm working on now has an E8400 and a P5Q-PRO.

On the P5Q-E - it took forever to load vista, but then it seemed fine after that.
on the P5Q-Pro, I think I tried both Vista and server 2008 - forever to load on those too, until that bit about the raid settings I posted about.
I've been testing memory in it all week long with memtest, so I haven't spent more time with the installs.
(I have 8 gigs of ram that memtested fine on another system, then gave a single error location on the P5Q-E, then gave a bunch of errors on the P5Q-PRO,
so I tested each one one at a time on slot one on the PRO with no problems, then tested a pair through 29 iterations in slots 1 and 3, and am now testing the same pair on slots 2+4 - trying to understand if the ram is in fact bad, or if this board is.)

-edit-
I've also noticed on the hardware monitor screen on the BIOS, that sometimes it comes right up, and other times it takes 3-4 seconds - appearing to freeze up while it does.
-edit-

Cleared the cmos but still getting the error. How the hell can both chips be buggered?

I might RMA for a refund and get a different motherboard. Should i stick with the P5Q's?

Guys, what is the general consensus when ram works in one slot at a time, but not in all 4 at once? Is that an indicator that the motherboard is at fault? or is it an indicator of something with the RAM itself?

I have 4 sticks of Patriot 5-5-5-12 DDR2 800MHZ 2.0V ram.
Memtested perfectly in my AMD box on a cheap $75 asus mobo.
Memtested one error on my new P5Q-E
Memtested a bunch of errors on my new P5Q-PRO when all 4 were in, but none individually.

Also is there a way to tell on the P5Q's bios - what settings were auto detected? I see what looks like the 5-5-5-12 numbers, But I can't tell what voltage it picked for the ram.

-edit-
is anyone here using 4 2-gig sticks in these (P5Q's) at the same time? if so what ram have you had luck with?
-/edit-

You should be setting the voltage for the ram at 2v rather than leaving it to auto. You should also test each stick individually on your AMD box if not done already. If you get no errors on the AMD mobo then it might be a problem with the P5Q-pro's northbridge cooling not being able to handle the extra ram.

If i can get a refund on the P5Q-E i might try a GA-EP45-DS4.

basementjack:

thanks for the response. I was able to show very minor improvements today: the first vista install screen now comes up in a couple of seconds or so. Yet nothing else has changed. I'm able to browse my HDDs if I do repair>load drivers. SO that's working properly, at least.

Where exactly does your vista install stall indefinitely? How far have you gotten? is it repeatable?

I received advice on the asus forums of disabling the floppy controller and disabling DRAM read training. I did both of those at once, as well as disabling all other controllers I wasn't using. That's what got the first screen up quickly, but with no change otherwise.

I'm going to try putting different ram in, that seems like thats the only thing that would cause this problem, other than just a defective board. Also my dvd drive, I think i'm going to buy a sata one.

Cleared the cmos but still getting the error. How the hell can both chips be buggered?

I might RMA for a refund and get a different motherboard. Should i stick with the P5Q's?

Can you get into BIOS? If so, I would try this. Remove all but one stick of RAM, disconnect the CD/DVD, remove all drives except your boot drive. Enter BIOS. Set everything to auto, bone stock. Except for the FSB. Set that way high. So high that it couldn't work with stock vCore. Save the changes and try to boot. My thought is, it will crash and recover itself, thus creating a correct checksum. It will reset the FSB to auto. Try and boot. Prolly won't work, but worth a shot.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, I would try this. Remove all but one stick of RAM, disconnect the CD/DVD, remove all drives except your boot drive. Enter BIOS. Set everything to auto, bone stock. Except for the FSB. Set that way high. So high that it couldn't work with stock vCore. Save the changes and try to boot. My thought is, it will crash and recover itself, thus creating a correct checksum. It will reset the FSB to auto. Try and boot. Prolly won't work, but worth a shot.

That sounds like a bloody good idea. The only problem being that i can't get into the BIOS ;)

Has anyone tried the new (7/31/08) Bios's that are on the Asus site?

looks like the P5Q Pro is up to 1004 and the P5Q-E is up to 1003

Has anyone tried the new (7/31/08) Bios's that are on the Asus site?

looks like the P5Q Pro is up to 1004 and the P5Q-E is up to 1003

Yes, I'm using it. No problems, very stable. But I've not had the memory issues others have had. I read somewhere that 1004 addresses memory issues.

Nice thread. Been wanting to upgrade for some time now and i think p45 will be the one for me. Decided it was time to retire my x2 amd and get C2D. Had a tough time deciding between a deluxe>e>pro version. Almost got the e but went for the deluxe for only $20 more for the 16 phases.

New Sig wil be
Asus p5q deluxe - e8500 - 4gb g-skill - zalman cnps9700 - visiontek 4870 - x-fi titanium champ - vista 64

Should be showing up this week

Nice thread. Been wanting to upgrade for some time now and i think p45 will be the one for me. Decided it was time to retire my x2 amd and get C2D. Had a tough time deciding between a deluxe>e>pro version. Almost got the e but went for the deluxe for only $20 more for the 16 phases.

New Sig wil be
Asus p5q deluxe - e8500 - 4gb g-skill - zalman cnps9700 - visiontek 4870 - x-fi titanium champ - vista 64

Should be showing up this week

Nice build. Plus the deluxe has the SSD ExpressGate.

I've now tried two separate sets of ram on 2 separate P5Q series motherboards.

in both cases memtest fails when I have 4 sticks of ram involved.

I'll be testing the new ram in pairs over night to validate that the ram is not actually bad.

P5Q-E and P5Q-PRO both fail with 4 sticks of ram.

I was getting frustrated with my 4 sticks of 5-5-5-12 2.0V Patriot ram.
If I set the bios to 5-5-5-12 2.0V, I got a single error location,
but setting it to say 6-6-6-15 2.0V got me a bunch of errors.

I got a hold of some corsair 2 gig 4-4-4-12 2.1V and set that up on the P5Q-PRO and got an error almost immediately. So I moved it over to the P5Q-E and same thing.

--edit -- the following no longer applies ---
I'm beginning to think these MB's don't support 4 dimms at once - I wish Asus would put out some guidance on this topic.
-- end edit -----
-- edit added 8/9/08 ------
Ok so the problem with the corsair memory was easy to spot- memtesting one dimm at a time revealed that one was bad - took it back and exchanged it and now all 4 sticks of corsair have run memtest 24 hours with no problems.
The P5Q PRO seems just fine with the corsair, using all 4 dimms at once...
-- end edit --

are you using 8gb's (4x2gb)of dd2 800 or 1066 speeds. Looking at the QVL sheet there isn't a 1066 on there for that amount. But there are alot of ddr2 800 on it for (4x2gb). At least according to the QVL from asus's website. Think it's column B on the sheet for 4 slots used.

im using 4x1gb ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 @1.9v which i have tested previously to be completely stable on this board. However, recently the ram has started to error. If i take out the ram and reseat it the problems go away for a time. Very strange and VERY frustrating. Im sending it in for RMA soon.

wonder if i can swap it for an x38/48 and pay em the difference.

oh yeah if i restart the board shuts down completely then boots half-way(doesn't even get to the post screen but the lights and fans power on) then it shuts down completely and does this until i switch off the PSU and wait for the green light to die. Then reset the PSU and power on. After doing this the bios is always reset though. This started only after i upgraded to the 1004 bios trying to fix the ram problems.

I have tried different PSUs with the same result.

just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get into the menu before the windows loading screen that lets you select safe mode and whatnot?

just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get into the menu before the windows loading screen that lets you select safe mode and whatnot?

Ah ya... but of course that would have been because I crashed Vista on a OC hicup. :p You mean hitting F8 at boot, right? I'll check tonight.

If you have ExpressGate running, select enter O/S on the menu.
Tap F5
When the menu comes up hit F8
From there you can select safe mode

Okay then tap F5 and then F8.

just tried it and all i needed to do was keep tapping F8. guess i stopped to tapping early :p thanks though.

back to the board, i'm using beta bios 0901 on my P5Q-E. it seems to like my E7200 better than 0802. even though my E7200 isn't the best but i'm still happy with the result, just heat is a issue to me. just a tad on the high side than i would like, thinking of doing a small cpu only loop. loads @ 69c during OCCT, idles @ 49c, ambient 22-25c. i think my IHS has bad contact with the core.

yeah you really have to start tapping F8 as soon as your last POST screen disappears. It's been so long now I can barely remember, but I feel like there used to be a brief prompt back in the Win95 days.

Is anyone here by any chance playing Oblivion with the deluxe mobo using the on-board sound and getting stuttering issues in cutscenes?

This is one of the games I'm just pushing high to see how my new comp goes and the sounds in-game are ok, but cutscenes it like stutters/pauses up really badly.

Is anyone here by any chance playing Oblivion with the deluxe mobo using the on-board sound and getting stuttering issues in cutscenes?

This is one of the games I'm just pushing high to see how my new comp goes and the sounds in-game are ok, but cutscenes it like stutters/pauses up really badly.

Can't say I've noticed anything like that, but then the only cutscene I normally see is the intro where the Emperor is talking. Just ran that one again and no stuttering.

On the P5Q Pro, I wasn't able to get ExpressGate to boot from a USB key. It let me install the image on the USB key but on boot up it would freeze on the ExpressGate splash screen. Anyone able to get this to work?

By the way, I do have ExpressGate now booting from my HDD and I know that works fine.

I'm using the P5Q Pro and in CoD4 video sequences (the game engine cut scenes are fine) I get audio stutter, also when loading TF2, during the Valve logo video sequence (when you get the 'valve head' guy) I get audio stutter. The video itself in both cases is perfectly smooth. It's very frustrating! Latest drivers etc.

P5Q Pro, E8400, XP 64 - stutter from driver issue I presume, as the hardware should be more than fine. As I say, ingame cut-scenes/general audio is perfectly fine.

I'm using the P5Q Pro and in CoD4 video sequences (the game engine cut scenes are fine) I get audio stutter, also when loading TF2, during the Valve logo video sequence (when you get the 'valve head' guy) I get audio stutter. The video itself in both cases is perfectly smooth. It's very frustrating! Latest drivers etc.

P5Q Pro, E8400, XP 64 - stutter from driver issue I presume, as the hardware should be more than fine. As I say, ingame cut-scenes/general audio is perfectly fine.

Sounds to me like it's a driver error with the audio that they haven't fixed yet.

I just recently got this board, everything went smooth on install and the board booted up first try. So far i'm pretty happy with the board, even though i disabled speedstep and did install the EPU 6 engine. Everything downclocks in windows, mostly runs at 2GHZ, but when i got into FSX it bumps up to 3.0 ghz...i think that epu 6 just takes the multiplier from 9 down to 6. Sometimes this sucks for watching movies bc the cpu is a little underpowered even when u put the epu6 to turbo mode.

Also i noticed after my install that i should use AHCI mode before installing vista? I didn't just used IDE mode that the board came preset to. I cant figure out what AHCI is and what the difference is ...can someone explain this to me...and if there would be any benefit to reinstall vista with it in AHCI mode? thanks any input is appreciated

I just recently got this board, everything went smooth on install and the board booted up first try. So far i'm pretty happy with the board, even though i disabled speedstep and did install the EPU 6 engine. Everything downclocks in windows, mostly runs at 2GHZ, but when i got into FSX it bumps up to 3.0 ghz...i think that epu 6 just takes the multiplier from 9 down to 6.

Disable C1E and Speedstep in BIOS.

Back