The Official HP LP2065 Lottery Thread!

I decided not to take the risk, as much as I wanted to. I came thisclose to ordering two 2065s from costcentral. With rebate it would have come out to ~$700 total. Damn tempting.

But, I wound up ordering an NEC 2070nx from provantage.

I decided not to take the risk, as much as I wanted to. I came thisclose to ordering two 2065s from costcentral. With rebate it would have come out to ~$700 total. Damn tempting.

An older philips panel but you should be ok.

Did everyone download the latest drivers for their monitor? I have not yet. Any possible harm in doing it, do you think? I am using Vista Premium.

If CAM is feeling bored, does he have interest in doing a side-by-side photo shoot (displaying the same background, maybe?) of his 30" next to his LP2065? Pretty please? ;-)

Ok I contacted HP support and I should have a brand new replacement. I really hope that the new one is free from the refresh/wave looking thing...fingers crossed :)

HP tech support was very understanding and friendly I must say.

I think the HP 2065 is a much better panel if you get the SIPS panel. Add to that the HP pivot and two input function and you got a winner on hand.

To get a "real" white, the value of R has to be 20 less than the value of G and B. It's still not the worst thing. After adjusting, the white color on the left side is a little blue, while on the right side it's a little yellow. When I dragged a white image across the screen, I can distinguish the color changes even by naked eyes.

Must be your panel as the whites straight out of the box and even after tons of adjustment are VERY TRUE WHITE! on my current HP. Infact they are making the whites on my Dell 3007 HC look not so good.

The HP Lp2065 is marvelous, I was a long-time CRT advocate since my past LCDs: Dell 1905fp and the VP930b were failures and did not fit the bill in any shape or form. The HP LP2065 is good for everything especially for games. Like I said before C&C 3 looks amazing and you cannot detect blurring, or image smearing in that game. I was really surprised how great of a performer the HP LP2065 is with Games. The 8ms specification really feels like 4ms.

The colors on the IPS panel really jump off the screen and the best part is they are Accurate, I can make the LCD look and appear just like a CRT. The IPS panel can produce whites like no other, and the color settings can be adjusted for your individual preference. The Internet and Multimedia have come to life with this panel and my $386.00 investment was absolutely the best choice I've made with regards to purchasing an LCD.

I found some interesting information while digging around the web. Seems the LP2065 is actually built by LG Electronics, at least as far as the FCC is concerned. Gotta love bureaucracies - at least they leave a paper trail. Also, it looks like the AUO panel is just an "alternate" panel for the LP2065.

LG applied for an update to an FCC ID # last june, requesting the use of an alternate panel for the device. In looking over their filing information, it clearly shows an HP LP2065 as the device being certified. Maybe LG makes this in its entirety for HP, and HP is just a sales point.

To see the filing, complete with photos of the equipment, do the following:

Go to the FCC OET web site search form:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Enter BEJ as the grantee code, and LH2065H as the product code

Two entries will show up: the original application and the application for alternate panel. The alternate panel is the second (lower) filing. Select "Detail" for the second entry. Note that "Detail" and "Summary" are different, clickable points.

From the list of entries, select whichever items you want to view. The pictures are particularly interesting, since they show an HP 2065 as the unit under test - HP branding and all!

Interesting, huh?

I used to use the FCC database a lot to find actual manufacturers of equipment, but since the FCC stopped requiring the FCC # be on the equipment it has become less useful.

Steve

I found some interesting information while digging around the web. Seems the LP2065 is actually built by LG Electronics, at least as far as the FCC is concerned. Gotta love bureaucracies - at least they leave a paper trail. Also, it looks like the AUO panel is just an "alternate" panel for the LP2065.

LG applied for an update to an FCC ID # last june, requesting the use of an alternate panel for the device. In looking over their filing information, it clearly shows an HP LP2065 as the device being certified. Maybe LG makes this in its entirety for HP, and HP is just a sales point.

To see the filing, complete with photos of the equipment, do the following:

Two entries will show up: the original application and the application for alternate panel. The alternate panel is the second (lower) filing. Select "Detail" for the second entry. Note that "Detail" and "Summary" are different, clickable points.

From the list of entries, select whichever items you want to view. The pictures are particularly interesting, since they show an HP 2065 as the unit under test - HP branding and all!

Interesting, huh?

I used to use the FCC database a lot to find actual manufacturers of equipment, but since the FCC stopped requiring the FCC # be on the equipment it has become less useful.

Steve

I'm must be the biggest idiot on the planet :( Due to to the flickering issues and talking to HP I've decided to go for a replacement. I've dropped it off my LCD (S-IPS panel Dec'06 Rev 114) to the local computer store I bought it from. Today I was told by them that ETA for it is March 23rd, I guess HP run out on S-IPS panels :eek:

I wished I would check this forums few days ago before I made my decision about replacement, but on the other hand why do we 'customers' have to pay so much money for a defective S-IPS panels or A-MVA panel (which gives me sever headaches and eye strain)? :rolleyes:

If CAM is feeling bored, does he have interest in doing a side-by-side photo shoot (displaying the same background, maybe?) of his 30" next to his LP2065? Pretty please? ;-)

Heh - Sorry, I've not been checking the thread lately! I have the big box
(the PWS 690) working again, but we're finishing the filtered enclosure
for the PWS and the old AMD dual-Athlon workstation, and when that's
done I can post a few pics of everything running. The rest of the place
will look dumpy, but the monitors will be spiffy... :D

CAMster

Interesting, huh?

Steve

Yes, interesting! Steve, how did you get grantee and product codes? Is there a listing? I'd like to check out other monitors in general but specifically those that have the Philips LM201U05 panels. Like the NEC 2090UXi or the Dell's....

I stumbled onto this FCC ID on the web on a foreign web site. They were talking about the LP2065, but that was all I could tell. I used that information to find this FCC listing.

You can do a search for the manufacturer ID (the 3-digit part) by company name, then refine the search for keywords like "display" or "LCD". Takes a LOT of time this way, though...

As a side note, I received 2 LP2065's today direct from HP; I ordered them using their web site on Tuesday. Both are rev GSM002 (cool!).
I only ordered one, but the web site failed on the first attempt, so I re-ordered. Seems both orders actually went through. I'll have to return one; I don't think the wife will let me keep both!

Steve

Yes, interesting! Steve, how did you get grantee and product codes? Is there a listing? I'd like to check out other monitors in general but specifically those that have the Philips LM201U05 panels. Like the NEC 2090UXi or the Dell's....

Excellent catch Steve!

I hate this ugly lotto business. Anti consumer IMO.

I stumbled onto this FCC ID on the web on a foreign web site. They were talking about the LP2065, but that was all I could tell. I used that information to find this FCC listing.

You can do a search for the manufacturer ID (the 3-digit part) by company name, then refine the search for keywords like "display" or "LCD". Takes a LOT of time this way, though...

As a side note, I received 2 LP2065's today direct from HP; I ordered them using their web site on Tuesday. Both are rev GSM002 (cool!).
I only ordered one, but the web site failed on the first attempt, so I re-ordered. Seems both orders actually went through. I'll have to return one; I don't think the wife will let me keep both!

Steve

Thanks for the info. You did some digging. I found out my Gateway (2nd monitor) was an S-PVA on a foreign site - Polish. The panel designations were there but that was the only thing I understood. If I have the time, perhaps I'll do some surfing ;-) As long as that 2nd one is a GSM002=S-IPS you could probably sell it here ;-) ... or on ebay, but 2 monitors are a grrrreat setup. lol

hmm, so it doesn't appear HP is switching to A-MVA, rather, most appear to be S-IPS while some random ones are A-MVA...must be something they do to reach quota? I don't know...

Well I just bought one off newegg should be here friday, so I'll let you know.

The A-MVA panel actually looks quite good, has some better black levels then even the S-IPS. The only dispute at this point with the A-MVA is if its a true 24bit panel and I'm guessing it most likely is.

For what its worth, both of the LP2065's I received direct from HP last Friday are rev. GSM002, with manufacturing dates of Feb, 2007.

The FCC grant was for an ALTERNATE panel; they may only be using these when no IPS panels are available, however they could use them whenever they wanted.

At least HP in the states seems to be shipping IPS panels...

Steve

What don't you understand? The first three characters are the grantee codes.
Then that's basically the only thing I understand now. :p

I see company names and addresses, but can't make out any specific products.

For what its worth, both of the LP2065's I received direct from HP last Friday are rev. GSM002, with manufacturing dates of Feb, 2007.

The FCC grant was for an ALTERNATE panel; they may only be using these when no IPS panels are available, however they could use them whenever they wanted.

At least HP in the states seems to be shipping IPS panels...

Steve

That's a good news, I'm should be getting my replacement shortly (I hope). Is the firmware version still 114? Any dead/stuck pixels?

Thanks

Then that's basically the only thing I understand now. :p

I see company names and addresses, but can't make out any specific products.

Yeah. Like I said it may or may not be useful. The idea was to use that listing - like use 'find' to find a company name - eg. NEC, Philips, etc., then see what the company's grantee code is (some have more than one ;-), go to the FCC site, then punch in that code plus "display" or "lcd" you may be able to track a product down.

If you have access to the label on the back of any lcd and check the FCC ID - the first three characters are the grantee code and the next is the product code, as explained above, punch it into the search engine at the link provided, and get the data.

The ones I received were:

Mfg date code: Feb. 2007
Revision: GSM002
Firmware: .114
Panel: LPL LM201U05-SLA1

Hope this helps.

Steve

Yeah. Like I said it may or may not be useful. The idea was to use that listing - like use 'find' to find a company name - eg. NEC, Philips, etc., then see what the company's grantee code is (some have more than one ;-), go to the FCC site, then punch in that code plus "display" or "lcd" you may be able to track a product down.

If you have access to the label on the back of any lcd and check the FCC ID - the first three characters are the grantee code and the next is the product code, as explained above, punch it into the search engine at the link provided, and get the data.
Cool, thanks.

The ones I received were:

Mfg date code: Feb. 2007
Revision: GSM002
Firmware: .114
Panel: LPL LM201U05-SLA1

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve. :)
Since the firmware was not changed, I don't suppose the flickering is gone, oh well I guess it is a nature of this LCD.:rolleyes:

Thanks Steve. :)
Since the firmware was not changed, I don't suppose the flickering is gone, oh well I guess it is a nature of this LCD.:rolleyes:

Not everyone experiences the flickering (see some of the dpreview posts) but as always, you see more posts on people that have problems, than ones who don't unless specifically asked :) I have a real early model GMS001, no flicker, so perhaps something changed since then.

I got a new LP2065 from HP 3 days ago (16/3-2007) and couldn't see any flicker even if I lowered the brightness to zero, but today the flicker came back :( . I notice the flicker now when I have a brightness that is lower than 45 (the flicker was noticeable on the LP2065 that I sent back to HP when I had a brightness that was lower than 83) . I think I'll keep this monitor but I'm afraid that I'll have to raise the brightness to avoid the flicker as time passes.

My new HP LP2065:

Firmware Revision:
REV.114

LCD Part Number:
LPL LM201U05-SLA1

Manufactured:
December 2006 (China)

REV:
GSM002

Got mine today. Looks great.

Firmware Revision:
REV.110 (lol)

LCD Part Number:
LPL LM201U05-SLA1

Manufactured in:
April 2006 (Or so the User's Manual says on the back)

Made in China

Rev. GSM000 (that's right, triple zeros, lol)

No wonder I got it so cheap, it's old! Haha. I don't care, it looks awesome.

But I don't really see what the fuzz is about S-IPS looking good from every angle, because, yes colors don't shift, but everything black turns purple! Frankly, my Samsung 971P looks better from angles. But I don't really care, since what I wanted it for gaming, not to look at from an angle.

I got mine from Compuvest.com. Even though the description said "New" "Retail" it didn't look that way when I opened the box. Their packing sucks, btw. At least it's working properly and it wasn't damaged at all. Screen looks awesome. Colors are very nice right out of the box. I'm still gonna calibrate it with my Spyder2Express, though, just to make sure. I can't wait to try some games! I'll report back later after I test some games on this baby. :D

PS. Any way I can update the firmware?

I got a new LP2065 from HP 3 days ago (16/3-2007) and couldn't see any flicker even if I lowered the brightness to zero, but today the flicker came back :( . I notice the flicker now when I have a brightness that is lower than 45 (the flicker was noticeable on the LP2065 that I sent back to HP when I had a brightness that was lower than 83) . I think I'll keep this monitor but I'm afraid that I'll have to raise the brightness to avoid the flicker as time passes.

My new HP LP2065:

Firmware Revision:
REV.114

LCD Part Number:
LPL LM201U05-SLA1

Manufactured:
December 2006 (China)

REV:
GSM002

In my case it had to be above 70 to get rid off most of the flickering. I got fed up and I sent it for a new one. How long did you have to wait for your replacement to arrive? Btw...did you get brand new unit or referb?

Not everyone experiences the flickering (see some of the dpreview posts) but as always, you see more posts on people that have problems, than ones who don't unless specifically asked :) I have a real early model GMS001, no flicker, so perhaps something changed since then.

It is weird, you would think that GSM002 should be better...ehehhehe.... Anyways it seems they are out of stock in Canada these days....I'll have to wait at least another week for the replacement to arrive and if it is A-MVA, I'll send it back to HP:rolleyes: . I hate panel lotteries, I should of gone for NEC 2070NX, older/slower panel but at least I wouldn't have to worry about it.

It is weird, you would think that GSM002 should be better...ehehhehe.... Anyways it seems they are out of stock in Canada these days....I'll have to wait at least another week for the replacement to arrive and if it is A-MVA, I'll send it back to HP:rolleyes: . I hate panel lotteries, I should of gone for NEC 2070NX, older/slower panel but at least I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Don't worry much, it's still barely a lottery. The vast majority of us have received S-IPS on the first try. Just a very few cases of A-MVA out there.

Also, I currently have a very early GSM000 model and it has zero flickering problems, or any other problems for that matter. Games and everything are looking great so far, I'm very pleased with it.

Don't worry much, it's still barely a lottery. The vast majority of us have received S-IPS on the first try. Just a very few cases of A-MVA out there.

Also, I currently have a very early GSM000 model and it has zero flickering problems, or any other problems for that matter. Games and everything are looking great so far, I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks for your kind words, I hope you are right about S-IPS ;)

Hmm... I seems though GSM000/GSM001 (KentC) don't exhibit any flickering issues, perhaps HP used lower-end panels/electronics with GSM002 revision. Other than annoying flickering I really liked my LP2065, now I miss it even more after going back to my old 17" CRT while waiting for the replacement to arrive....:p

I got mine from Compuvest.com. Even though the description said "New" "Retail" it didn't look that way when I opened the box. Their packing sucks, btw. At least it's working properly and it wasn't damaged at all. Screen looks awesome. Colors are very nice right out of the box. I'm still gonna calibrate it with my Spyder2Express, though, just to make sure. I can't wait to try some games! I'll report back later after I test some games on this baby. :D

share your settings!

share your settings!
Brightness 90

Contrast 80

Don't know about color since the Spyder2Express Calibrator creates a custom profile. When looking at the before and after calibration image, I did like the colors a little better after calibration.

PS. I haven't tested all the games I wanna test yet, but so far in BF2142 and BF2 I have noticed the ghosting is extremely minimal to none. It's so awesome in terms of ghosting (or lack of it) compared to my other panel. But once again, I must say, I can't see what the fuzz is about IPS being good with angles, because colors in this S-IPS get worse from angles than on my Samsung 971P (PVA Panel) . Yeah, colors don't wash out, but some do get a bit darker (not much, but I'm just saying it isn't perfect). But the real issue is the purple and orange lighting that appear at some angles. Looking at the screen from directly in front or at small angles, it all looks great. Blacks aren't as dark as I would like, but they are still pretty good. When it comes to gaming though, which is what I want it for, there's no comparison... this monitor kicks thy arse! Best gaming LCD monitor I've ever seen. :D

Yeah the HP LP2065 is excellent for gaming minimal blurring much better than my Dell 1905fp and VP930b, but the blacks do need some work. I happened to have my CRT in clone mode and I saw just how bad the black quality is. But other than that its a good monitor.

Do all LCD's have display poor black quality??

Brightness 90
PS. I haven't tested all the games I wanna test yet, but so far in BF2142 and BF2 I have noticed the ghosting is extremely minimal to none. It's so awesome in terms of ghosting (or lack of it) compared to my other panel. But once again, I must say, I can't see what the fuzz is about IPS being good with angles, because colors in this S-IPS get worse from angles than on my Samsung 971P (PVA Panel) . Yeah, colors don't wash out, but some do get a bit darker (not much, but I'm just saying it isn't perfect). But the real issue is the purple and orange lighting that appear at some angles. Looking at the screen from directly in front or at small angles, it all looks great. Blacks aren't as dark as I would like, but they are still pretty good. When it comes to gaming though, which is what I want it for, there's no comparison... this monitor kicks thy arse! Best gaming monitor I've ever seen. :D

Yeah the HP LP2065 is excellent for gaming minimal blurring much better than my Dell 1905fp and VP930b, but the blacks do need some work. I happened to have my CRT in clone mode and I saw just how bad the black quality is. But other than that its a good monitor.

Do all LCD's have display poor black quality??
Nop. For example, my Samsung 971P has very good black quality, especially when compared to a monitor like the LP2065. It's to be expected as the contrast ration of the 971P is 1,500 opposed to the LP2065 which is 800. VA panels usually have good black quality, especially newer ones.

Nop. For example, my Samsung 971P has very good black quality, especially when compared to a monitor like the LP2065. It's to be expected as the contrast ration of the 971P is 1,500 opposed to the LP2065 which is 800. VA panels usually have good black quality, especially newer ones.

Both technologies have its pros/cons, i.e. personally I cannot stand VA because of the color shift. I believe most of the photo enthusiasts prefer and use S-IPS monitors.

The ES/AS-IPS panels (enhanced - HP, Advanced - NEC, et. al.) have better blacks than the earlier S-IPS and ISP panels.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/downloads/enhanced_s-ips.pdf

I had an older Philips IPS panel just before the HP and was able to compare in the change over. I now have the HP plus an S-PVA panel side by side and the black shows a bit better on the S-PVA, until you move your head opposite eithier edge of the panel, then all colors, including black begin the washout, but it makes for especially good reading on this forum with the black/gray background/white fonts. I'd note that that movement isn't the 'natural' way of viewing a monitor especially. It would be more of a problem on a TV or with more than one person watching a DVD on the monitor, for example, and that isn't a problem with the HP at all.

That said, there are two sides to the VA/S-IPS debate, which is good for the market :)

http://lcd.creol.ucf.edu/publication/2006/JDT Lu Color.pdf

Another interesting 'tech oriented' page on the LM201U05 panel in the NEC:

http://www.nec.co.jp/techrep/en/journal/g06/n03/060314.html

Back