The Official - Haswell-E Overclocking results thread

so what would be a good real world stress test?

Pretty much what Hagrid said, whatever you do on it quite frequently for extensive periods of time (4+ hours straight). Though if you really want to quickly load it up, I'd grab the best looking game you have, crank up the settings, and try to stream it to Twitch or something via OBS - maybe do some Photoshop/video encoding in the background as well. Streaming native 1080p 45fps with all the eye candy on GW2 turned up makes my 4670K OC'd to 4.5GHz on 1.285V scream at 90-95% on all 4 cores and the temps get up to about 50C. During any other task, even 8 hour gaming sessions, its kept at around 40-42C and maybe 50% on all 4 cores. And honestly, I'm sure about 5C of that is from my GTX 680 DC2T slinging hot air at the CPU socket as my H90 is rear mounted as an exhaust in my 550D.

4.6 Ghz at 1.35V 100Mhz BCLK is where I'm at right now. I haven't fine tuned the voltage but that's the broadstroke.

5960X
X99 Classified
DDR4-2400 (4x8gb)

I know I have a 5 ghz chip, but without direct die cooling the heat spreader is the limiting factor. I could run 4.8Ghz @ 1.5V (Corsair link was reporting 39A through the EPS connectors) but temps were uncontrollable even with an uber watercooling setup running 63F water. I'm going to try when I get home again to run my cpu loop pump at 18V and see if thrashing more water through the block does anything.

So for the lolz I set the Tjmax to 120C, cranked the voltage to 1.6V, and tried going for 5Ghz. It boots into windows and idles fine, but running P95 is insta-click-off. Doesn't even bother bsod-ing.

So I would consider myself a noob at overclocking the Hawell E and I noticed people mentioning CPU LLC, I seem to not be able to find this on my Asus Rampage board.

So I would consider myself a noob at overclocking the Hawell E and I noticed people mentioning CPU LLC, I seem to not be able to find this on my Asus Rampage board.

CPU Load Line Calibration its under Digi+Power control section..

bprr.jpg

Thank you sir! Now that should help with overclocking in terms of allowing me to not just use vcore for tweaking I assume?

Thank you sir! Now that should help with overclocking in terms of allowing me to not just use vcore for tweaking I assume?

you are very correct.. just be sure to decrease the total vCore as the LLC add and extra Voltage to the CPU even in idle if you are using offset voltage..

True, but it still reduces the droop caused by load that's seen on vCore because of the way the FIVR is implemented.

I know it but this does not mean that increase the idle vcore.
It reduces vdroop, this affect vcore but does not means that it higher the vcore when in idle as saied buy araxy.

It reduces vdroop, this affect vcore but does not means that it higher the vcore when in idle as saied buy araxy.

I think we need a test, because I don't think this is true. LLC, even in the latest generations of CPUs with FIVR has always caused a higher vCore on idle.

ohh ok now I see you don't know anything about overclock and you just change values in your BIOS without know what are you doing... LLC increase the voltage in ANY kind of load even in idle..

Now if i can remember, you like numbers and maths right.. I guess i shouldn't explain the below images (enjoy:rolleyes:):

R4BE_LLC1Regular.png

R4BE_LLC2Medium.png

R4BE_LLC3High.png

R4BE_LLC4UltraHigh.png

R4BE_LLC5Extreme.png

R4BEdata.png

R4BESlopetrends.png

ohh ok now I see you don't know anything about overclock and you just change values in your BIOS without know what are you doing... LLC increase the voltage in ANY kind of load even in idle..

Now if i can remember, you like numbers and maths right.. I guess i shouldn't explain the below images (enjoy:rolleyes:):

R4BE_LLC1Regular.png

R4BE_LLC2Medium.png

R4BE_LLC3High.png

R4BE_LLC4UltraHigh.png

R4BE_LLC5Extreme.png

R4BEdata.png

R4BESlopetrends.png

You don't understood what you read.
That graph is referred to vdroop not to the final vcore.

This its the last time i reply to you.. ;) you don't even know what vdroop mean even less in a Asus Motherboard as Asus do not implement vdroop the way you think it do.. homework for you to see if you can learn something without make 800 new threads.. ;)

Good bye..

You're flat out WRONG. These graphs DO represent vCore and not Vccin. How do we know? Vccin is 1.8-1.9 voltage range, and these charts cap out below 1.5v. *facepalm*

What mobo & ram have people been having the most luck with? I'm thinking of getting either the Asus X99-A or MSI X99S-SLI with G.Skill 4x4 2666

So, ASUS posted their overclocking guide in the X99 support thread, it states that there should be a fan blowing air on the VRMs if you overclock a 5960X to 4Ghz or more, does any body do this and is it really necessary?

This its the last time i reply to you.. ;) you don't even know what vdroop mean even less in a Asus Motherboard as Asus do not implement vdroop the way you think it do.. homework for you to see if you can learn something without make 800 new threads.. ;)

Good bye..

You're flat out WRONG. These graphs DO represent vCore and not Vccin. How do we know? Vccin is 1.8-1.9 voltage range, and these charts cap out below 1.5v. *facepalm*

those graphs rapresent vcore during vdroop not vcore on normal usage.

Hey, is there a list of highest OC's for the i7-5960X anywhere? I'm just wondering if the best of the best binned chips have gotten to 5GHz or close to it.

those graphs rapresent vcore during vdroop not vcore on normal usage.

Wrong again. Keep digging your hole, buddy.

The graphs very clearly show LLC vCore voltage under both load and idle.
:rolleyes:

Really, did you even LOOK at them?

You should, then accept the fact that you're TOTALLY WRONG, and then apologize to Araxie.

this is the best performing configuration I founded on my rig while remaining stable on LinX and Prime95 28.x.
I can do 4.4GHz too but I prefer to lower to 4.3GHz to get all the additional stability.

best_oc.png

I noticed that 2666MHz @ 1.35V with 13-13-13-32-1T is the best performing setting I can get from my ram while remaining 100% stable.
I can get 3000MHz @ 15-17-17-35-2T but is slower than CAS13 on 2666MHz and requires more VCSSA to be stable and 125 strap.
I can get 3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36-2T but is not as much performance as 2666MHz with lower timings and it is not even stable.

next try will be 2666MHz @ 1.35V with 12-13-13-31-1T.

oops I put the wrong tab in the CPUz on the screenshot, ok you got it, it was running @ 2666MHz, 13-13-13-32-1T

Back