The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Bed time, had a fun night. The overflow servers are fucking genius. So glad I didn't sit there in a queue all night not being able to play.

Agreed. As with other MMO during peak time, I was half expecting having to queue but turns out there are overflow servers. Love it.

Played all night at work over my tethered android and had a blast. Got right in at launch and got my first pick name. Love it so far.

Dunno about performance problems, ran sweet on my Lenovo with A6 3420 and 6650m.........

Agreed. As with other MMO during peak time, I was half expecting having to queue but turns out there are overflow servers. Love it.

No queues, but it absolutely sucks if you don't get on the server you want, I finally got on Sea of Sorrows at 2am.

When a server is full, you can't join, or transfer to it.

well, shit, cant play my Deluxe pre-purchase till Sunday....

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

How long has the LS been down? Only played 2 hours last night, just woke up not too long ago and can't connect.

Almost 2 hours I think.

Anyway there's a patch several minutes ago. But I guess word got out pretty quick and my download came to a grinding halt, lol.

Almost 2 hours I think.

Anyway there's a patch several minutes ago. But I guess word got out pretty quick and my download came to a grinding halt, lol.

Mine keeps bugging out, heh, I keep alt tabbing out of Sleeping Dogs to check.

Wow, every single name I tried was unavailable.

Most of them 3-4 letters, but I got in instantly at 11 and went direct to character naming.

I logged in right when servers came up and managed to score all the names I wanted. I got Liq, Liqq, and a couple other longer names. I did try to get Fetish last and of course it was taken so I got it like Fëtish instead which was my old WOW locks name anyways. I tried to reserve Shelby for my daughter in the first minute and it was long gone, so I did the same for her.

We both logged off at 2am CST last night, and I had no idea it was that late, or early haha. We are now up to play again, but the servers appear borked atm.

This is an odd time of day to have server troubles. Wonder whats going on.

I believe most of us here are going to Toe's guild, Smoke and Fire, on Borlis. Message him for details on the guild site and the thing we're using for VOIP. I was on last night before being booted off due to horrendous lag. Said fuck it and went to bed.

Wow still cant login... If its this bad at 6 am during head start the launch will be ugly.

Client downloader isn't working for me :(

But then again not much of any of their website is working for me.

I did "run" when I clicked the downloader instead of save as and now I can't get the account page to work to try redownloading the client installer. EDIT: got it out of my cache.

Logged a 4 + hours last night! Damn this game is fun..want more, sucks the servers are down. Im chomping at the bit!!

Logged a 4 + hours last night! Damn this game is fun..want more, sucks the servers are down. Im chomping at the bit!!

I believe most of us here are going to Toe's guild, Smoke and Fire, on Borlis. Message him for details on the guild site and the thing we're using for VOIP. I was on last night before being booted off due to horrendous lag. Said fuck it and went to bed.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Disposed said:
Wow still cant login... If its this bad at 6 am during head start the launch will be ugly.

:rolleyes:

most people who cared about the game probably preordered. just like rift. gw2 shows more promise than rift but too bad the early launch didnt go as smoothly as rifts.

most people who cared about the game probably preordered. just like rift. gw2 shows more promise than rift but too bad the early launch didnt go as smoothly as rifts.

I will just say this.....think about the number of Rift preorders vs the number of GW2 preorders. I think you have your answer. Yes the Rift servers stayed more stable but the amount of players hitting their LS was probably MUCHHHHH less overall.

I think it might be an issue that's unrelated to actual load. Right at launch (and for the next 4 hours before I went to bed), everything was perfectly smooth even though the population in game was insane (players/mobs were popping in and out due to the throttling of how much content is displayed on your screen).

EDIT: 2 seconds ago, I started patching for realz instead of the error message. *fingers crossed*

I will just say this.....think about the number of Rift preorders vs the number of GW2 preorders. I think you have your answer. Yes the Rift servers stayed more stable but the amount of players hitting their LS was probably MUCHHHHH less overall.

why do people make excuses for a company who took their money and botch early release?

i for one is not in a hurry to play this game, but seeing people who probably are waiting at their seats for servers to be up making excuses for the company for botching their early release is just ridiculous

That means they had more money right off the bat to avoid this issue. ;) Not sure why you think it excuses them. Maybe instead of doing stress tests at dumbass times like tuesday at noon they should have been doing it during prime time.

EDIT: got the patch still cant log in

That means they had more money right off the bat to avoid this issue. ;) Not sure why you think it excuses them. Maybe instead of doing stress tests at dumbass times like tuesday at noon they should have been doing it during prime time.

EDIT: got the patch still cant log in

I'll agree that the stress test times were pretty stupid but I don't think that alone is why this is currently happening. I was in last night with virtually no latency issues until I decided to go to bed. I'm not making excuses for Anet but we all know this shit happens with pretty much every game. Rift had a smoother launch, big deal.

I got in easily when I was up at 3am CDT. Struggling to get the patch now. I can't say that I'm surprised. I'm not sure anything surprises me anymore, ha.

Shit happens, and no, you don't have to say anything positive about any one game. I'm not some Nazi fuck who gets offended if someone trash talks a game. It's a GAME. Now if you trash talk something important, we've got issues. Games aren't important.

It's not so much defending a company, it's moreso saying that "shit happens, it'll get fixed". That's all I was trying to relay. So they have millions of dollars. SHIT...HAPPENS.

I for the life of me cannot remember how to get this point of interest. I did a full completion of Plains of Ashford in the beta, but I feel retarded for running in circles around this one:

4Htuh.jpg

I'll agree that the stress test times were pretty stupid

I don't because the criticism is myopic. I am on the East Coast but I recognize there are other parts of the world where the stress tests times were during peak local hours - the universe doesn't revolve around my time zone. I also keep in mind that the purpose of every stress test, despite their name, may not have been to overload their servers. Especially with the brief stress tests leading up to the launch this week and last, I think their brevity and lack of advance notice indicates they were testing some code that didn't have to do with load burden.

That said, the login server errors and full servers at 6am EST were exasperating and makes me wonder whether the servers are going to buckle under the strain. It's approaching noon EST, the beginning of the peak gaming period for the East Coast. I hope the fact that the login servers were under so much strain at 6am EST - when only a small portion of players would have been on - doesn't mean the game is going to get swamped at 3pm EST when both coasts in the USA will be up. The only positive - and it's a big one for me - is that it's not a subscription game so being unable to play, while irritating, has no real financial penalty. I am disappointed the launch has already suffered connectivity issues. It baffles me why every big game at launch seems unprepared to handle the load.

I don't because the criticism is myopic. I am on the East Coast but I recognize there are other parts of the world where the stress tests times were during peak local hours - the universe doesn't revolve around my time zone. I also keep in mind that the purpose of every stress test, despite their name, may not have been to overload their servers. Especially with the brief stress tests leading up to the launch this week and last, I think their brevity and lack of advance notice indicates they were testing some code that didn't have to do with load burden.

That said, the login server errors and full servers at 6am EST were exasperating and makes me wonder whether the servers are going to buckle under the strain. It's approaching noon EST, the beginning of the peak gaming period for the East Coast. I hope the fact that the login servers were under so much strain at 6am EST - when only a small portion of players would have been on - doesn't mean the game is going to get swamped at 3pm EST when both coasts in the USA will be up. The only positive - and it's a big one for me - is that it's not a subscription game so being unable to play, while irritating, has no real financial penalty. I am disappointed the launch has already suffered connectivity issues. It baffles me why every big game at launch seems unprepared to handle the load.

12 pm PST is not prime time for anyone in their core demographic. :rolleyes: Its not a matter of thinking my time zone is the center of the universe.

Why they called them stress tests makes no sense because they clearly had no intention of stress testing anything because they chose very off peak hours.

12 pm PST is not prime time for anyone in their core demographic. :rolleyes: Its not a matter of thinking my time zone is the center of the universe.

Why they called them stress tests makes no sense because they clearly had no intention of stress testing anything because they chose very off peak hours.

Dude, you should get in and play man. We're all having a blast! Enjoy this shit!

This release is totally unlike any blizzard release. I mean I haven't been disconnected from server about 6 times in 30 minutes at all.

yeah right...

This release is totally unlike any blizzard release. I mean I haven't been disconnected from server about 6 times in 30 minutes at all.

yeah right...

To be fair, I managed to log in at first try when the server first went online and managed to get quite an amount of playtime. On Diablo 3 launch day, I spend most of my time just trying to log in.

And the way Arenanet handled the situation was better than how Blizzard handled yesterday's downtime IMO, They kept the users updated several times throughout the downtime, while Blizzard went silent after what was supposed to be a server restart ended up with the entire service down without any further updates for hours.

No hate against Diablo 3 and I'm playing both game still. Its just that I think Blizzard should keep the fans updated when something goes wrong. (something the users were screaming for at their forum yesterday.)

yeah right...

i haven't been disconnected or unable to login once and i've played about 6 hours already since the moment the servers went up.

Hmm, ar ethe events broken or something screwed up?

When I played last night I got into the game and the events were right off the bat in the newbie zone, the one with the tree termites and then the mosquito things (Sylvari starting area).

Now I made a new character and the events don't seem to be triggering, hanging around that area for over 30 minutes and none of those events happen.

Also for anyone who bought the deluxe edition I can confirm, you do NOT want to delete your character if you claimed all your items.

The Rytlock, chalice, Tome, and mistfire are one-email only, if you make a new character you do not get these items in your email. Only the heros band/Golem banker, this makes ZERO sense.

I accidentally deleted my original character thi smorning without thinking about this and now I'm shit out of luck. There better be a way to get that stuff back or I'm going to be super pissed, that kind of defeated the purpose of buying it in the first place.

12pm PST/3pm EST on a Saturday is most definitely the start of heavy activity for games in general.

So you're saying you're only fixated on this because of the name? So if they had just called them "beta tests" instead of "stress tests", you'd be copacetic with everything? Now that deserves a :rolleyes:. "Stress test" was a term of art, not a promise - they used it because some of them were intended to test the load capacity but some of them weren't. The amount of whining over what amounts to a label is ridiculous, especially when the stress tests are OVER. The game has launched and some people are STILL bitching that the stress tests shouldn't have been called stress tests? It was silly back when there were stress tests but it's ludicrous now.

I'd take you at your word that you don't think you're at the center of the universe if you didn't keep on repeatedly claim that Arenanet "chose very off peak hours." 12pm PST/3pm EST is 8pm in the UK or 9pm in Berlin. It's not peak hours in USA time zones but it's after-work/peak hours in Europe.

i came so close to ordering this last night. i wish i could get excited about another online "fantasy" game... but after watching streams on twitch i get the same feeling of being hungover and smelling alcohol. i've bought into hype before; from AoC and Warhammer all the way to Rift... and several hundred dollars and countless wasted hours later, never again. if people are still raving about this in november [which they wont] maybe i'll try it.

Back