• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Those of you playing warriors, what weapon setups are you using? I'm 26 and I haven't really figured out what weapon combo I like the best. I do like the off-hand axe skills though, the longer whirlwind is pretty nice. The only setup I've really grown fond of is greatsword to sword/axe. With four button presses I can inflict numerous attacks and leave my target bleeding pretty badly.

I'm liking the sword/shield so far then switching to rifle when needed.

You can use a sword and axe at the same time? :eek:
 
So, finally hit level 30 today.

There's been a lot of talk in-game about cool-looking armor you can get at 30. I'm assuming that's from Ascalonian Catacombs? Or karma vendors somewhere I'm not seeing?
 
The item grind is cosmetic, so part of that is relatively bland low level armor. I didn't get my first set of "cool" looking stuff until the mid to late 20s.
 
Armor will change as you get higher in levels. Remember - 80 levels means quite a few armor sets. Karma vendors, crafting, drops, etc.
 
Agreed on the trading post. We need it, soon.

To alleviate your green item issue: Throw them in the mystic forge. Play lottery. I got a lvl 36 rare last night and a lvl 50(!) shield from a couple blues and greens.

What is this mystic forge you speak of and how can I not view it at work :)
 
I been using 1h mace/1h axe on my warrior and axe/shield in my tankier setup. I haven't used ranged weapons at all yet.
 
Elementalist = pure awesome. Basically a rocket launcher with legs and arms.

ya, got him to lv 3 now and already having way more fun with him than i did with my guardian. Guardians are just to slow and boring imo, ele's on the other hand, 4 attunements for each weapon set is pure awesome. not to mention choices of how you play from ranged nuker to up close dagger/dagger melt their faces off is lots of fun.
 
ya, got him to lv 3 now and already having way more fun with him than i did with my guardian. Guardians are just to slow and boring imo, ele's on the other hand, 4 attunements for each weapon set is pure awesome. not to mention choices of how you play from ranged nuker to up close dagger/dagger melt their faces off is lots of fun.

I like to switch between Dagger and Staff, perfect for whatever I feel like. Close range, or standing back and blowing everything up.
 
Elementalist = pure awesome. Basically a rocket launcher with legs and arms.

I got so bored with my elemenatalist that I had to quit playing him at lvl 8. To his credit I have never liked mages in any RPG. Didn't know why this would be different.

Even though you have 4 atunements, it seems like it is just spamming one spell without much skill.
 
Do you enjoy a casual playing experience?
Do you enjoy playing with others?
Do you enjoy exploring large beautiful worlds?
Do you deplore costly subscription fees?
Do you enjoy massive scale player vs player combat?

If any of these questions were answered "Yes," then you should buy this game.

Let me try this... because I'm also on the fence about getting this game.

1) If the game is interesting, it becomes more than casual. But it doesn't take my over life.
2) Playing with others? Sure. Depending on others? Not really...
3) Only if there's interesting content to go with it.
4) I never cared about those in the first place. If the game is good I'll pay.
5) Not in fantasy MMORPGs.

My question : Is this really just your typical theme-park MMORPG? That is, do you just do quests and travel zone to zone, leveling and not really feeling any accomplished at all, because the whole point of theme-park feels like it's just to level to "end-game" before you supposedly get to the interesting and worthwhile content (which I find boring very quickly).
 
right now make sure you spend ALL of your gold on gem purchases.

the gem to gold trade ratio is insane right now because of the economy.. that adjusts with the economy and as people level and have more access to gold the gem price will increase. as of yesterday you can buy 280 gems for 1g. 800 gems is 10$. That means ever 2.85 gold you get 10$ worth of gems. BALIEDAT
Not sure about that.

If you invest in gems now to sell for gold later, by the time you cash out (weeks, months), is what you get (after Arenanet takes their cut, I've read ~30%) worth the opportunity cost of being broke now, and since you'll be at a higher level, will the amount of gold you get back even be material?

Or should you spend that gold on mats to level, go to a higher zone, and earn more gold? Then buy gems? Or keep the mats for an investment? What's the Arenanet cut on selling mats in the AH? What mats have the greatest rate of return?

What if Arenanet raises the costs of items in the gem store, lowering the value of your gem investment? They would have to change how many gems $10 gets you, and apply the new ratio to Gems purchased using RL currency.

It's a very interesting and risky market. But hey, I'm in for 20s. :)
 
Last edited:
Let me try this... because I'm also on the fence about getting this game.

1) If the game is interesting, it becomes more than casual. But it doesn't take my over life.
2) Playing with others? Sure. Depending on others? Not really...
3) Only if there's interesting content to go with it.
4) I never cared about those in the first place. If the game is good I'll pay.
5) Not in fantasy MMORPGs.

My question : Is this really just your typical theme-park MMORPG? That is, do you just do quests and travel zone to zone, leveling and not really feeling any accomplished at all, because the whole point of theme-park feels like it's just to level to "end-game" before you supposedly get to the interesting and worthwhile content (which I find boring very quickly).

I think it's about the journey, not the destination. It's actually very fun to hop into events that are going on as soon as you get near a hub. I like exploring off the intended path, and you can tell that they want you to take a detour.
 
Now that the game is officially out, how the heck do you apply the serial code in the box to a pre-purchase account? There appears to be no way to do this that I can figure out, even though Arenanet sent an email saying we have two days after launch to do this. Thanks for the instructions, Arenanet. Anyone have a clue?
 
Those of you playing warriors, what weapon setups are you using? I'm 26 and I haven't really figured out what weapon combo I like the best. I do like the off-hand axe skills though, the longer whirlwind is pretty nice. The only setup I've really grown fond of is greatsword to sword/axe. With four button presses I can inflict numerous attacks and leave my target bleeding pretty badly.

I believe you can use: register.guildwars2.com
 
I believe you can use: register.guildwars2.com

I went there but after I enter the serial code, it starts to create a whole new account name for me with the automatically appended numbers. There's no way to use the account name that I have from the head start period. Am I going to lose my character that I've been playing for the last 3 days? I aborted the process before finishing because I didn't want to create a second account. I want to use the one I started during head start.

Sheesh, this is basic stuff, Arenanet. A little more instructions and clarity, please.

edited to add:


OK, went to the Guild Wars 2 Facebook page and commenters say the 4-digit number changes but it does not create a second account.
 
Let me try this... because I'm also on the fence about getting this game.

1) If the game is interesting, it becomes more than casual. But it doesn't take my over life.
2) Playing with others? Sure. Depending on others? Not really...
3) Only if there's interesting content to go with it.
4) I never cared about those in the first place. If the game is good I'll pay.
5) Not in fantasy MMORPGs.

My question : Is this really just your typical theme-park MMORPG? That is, do you just do quests and travel zone to zone, leveling and not really feeling any accomplished at all, because the whole point of theme-park feels like it's just to level to "end-game" before you supposedly get to the interesting and worthwhile content (which I find boring very quickly).

Well, just on 2, they got the casual grouping done brilliant, well I think they do anyway. It's done in such a way to promote helping other players out. It can lead to some chaotic battes, but they are so much fun.

Too answer all the other things and your question, well, it's the first MMO that I have played that I feel under no pressure to get to the highest level. In fact, levelling so far is just something that happens as a result of all the other stuff I am doing.

I normally hate crafting, the boring grind of it all, but I have to say I am enjoying it so far in GW2. Again no real pressure to get the highest crafting level.

I find the events system that's in place now so much better than the go to such a guy to get a mission and then having tp go back to him to get your reward. Less time doing boring crap like that and more time just doing things I like.

Or i might be walking along x event pops up as I walk by and I go Nah don't want to do that, then another event might come up and I go yeah I will do that one. And if you like doing a certain event, heck just wait around and do it again when it comes up!!

And do you want to go to the other starting areas, but feel you are too high a level and it would be boring? Well, that's not a problem with the level scaling. So every zone offers every player a challenge.

to sum it up for me, GW2 has given me freedom that no other MMO has done so far. I can do whatever I want, things that I enjoy.

Don't know does any of that answer your questions :D
 
Here is my question , how is the end game content? Are there large scale raids or only large scale PVP events? (or even that?).

Is the class system fleshed out? Or is it still in its infancy. I'm reading that the auction system is fucked right now which is kinda surprising considering how long the game was in development.

And one of my biggest annoyances from GW1 was the traveling system , having to run or pay someone to run you to a location that was possibly dangerous I always felt was just retarded. Have they put in some kind of reasonable travel system like WoW has where you simply fly or something of the like to another travel vendor?
 
Have they put in some kind of reasonable travel system like WoW has where you simply fly or something of the like to another travel vendor?

It looks like you can travel from city to city free through portals. There are also waypoints around the areas that once discovered, you can pay to quick travel to them from anywhere.
 
Here is my question , how is the end game content? Are there large scale raids or only large scale PVP events? (or even that?).

Is the class system fleshed out? Or is it still in its infancy. I'm reading that the auction system is fucked right now which is kinda surprising considering how long the game was in development.

And one of my biggest annoyances from GW1 was the traveling system , having to run or pay someone to run you to a location that was possibly dangerous I always felt was just retarded. Have they put in some kind of reasonable travel system like WoW has where you simply fly or something of the like to another travel vendor?

I had GW1 and I thought the biggest annoyance was the instance grouping. Maybe it was just me but every time I would go into an instance people would leave or you get to a point where the enemies would be too hard.

GW2 is better.

The PVP is 100 times better. WvWvW is a lot of fun, just sorta confusing and the queues are long, but the battles are truely epic.
 
I went there but after I enter the serial code, it starts to create a whole new account name for me with the automatically appended numbers. There's no way to use the account name that I have from the head start period. Am I going to lose my character that I've been playing for the last 3 days? I aborted the process before finishing because I didn't want to create a second account. I want to use the one I started during head start.

Sheesh, this is basic stuff, Arenanet. A little more instructions and clarity, please.

edited to add:


OK, went to the Guild Wars 2 Facebook page and commenters say the 4-digit number changes but it does not create a second account.

Yeah they really need to clarify how that works, I got tired of looking for the usual "Register Game" thing and did what you found out on the FB page. It incremented the 4 digit code after my forum name by 1 and seems to be working, though there's no place in your account info to really see that you've registered a normal or CE key of any sort.

They need to work on that a bit. At least in Rift they show you every single thing you've ever redeemed on your account. Its overkill but I'd rather have that then blind guessing over a one time use serial code.
 
If you queue for WvWvW, then move to a zone where it sticks you in overflow... does that break your queue? Or is it that you just can't initiate a queue from overflow?

Just wondering, because I've been in queue for about a half an hour in Divinity's Reach. And I'm already 100% there.
 
If you queue for WvWvW, then move to a zone where it sticks you in overflow... does that break your queue? Or is it that you just can't initiate a queue from overflow?

Just wondering, because I've been in queue for about a half an hour in Divinity's Reach. And I'm already 100% there.

Great question. I think if you move to an overflow, it screws you up. On sunday I didn't get into WvW once and was queued for hours.
 
And...I think I am officially addicted to the mystic forge. Got two nice greatswords with mods that I hadn't yet seen on anything. One stacks "bloodlust" up to 25 times...I think it's like 3 power per stack added. The other has a chance to heal nearby allies when I attack. Both are around my level and both were green quality. FWIW, the first sword came from combining 4 green quality level 20 swords (the result was level 26.)
 
Sooooo,

Apparently I was handed an account block sometime between Sunday and today,

Considering I have not even used Chat in game no been in a single party i have no clue what the ban is for. So now i can't play which is just stupid.
 
How did you'll do this quest? Going to try hiding in the hut next I guess. Can I go to another zone and quest if I can't complete this one? My NPCs die in the first 5 - 10 seconds of the fight. It is a solo instanced quest.

Rumors of Trouble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nl3K3Lg0cY

Edit *Hiding in the hut does not help as they will follow you into it.*
 
Last edited:
So, I have a Thief with Leatherworking/Huntsman. Insanely short on my supply of Fine Crafting Materials... sounds like it's time to drop Hunstman and go for something like Jeweler?
Great question. I think if you move to an overflow, it screws you up. On sunday I didn't get into WvW once and was queued for hours.
I got in eventually after I changed zones, but I re-queued. For whatever it's worth, the queue was significantly shorter than the hour+ I spent in the first one, but I queued for a different zone so it's probably not comparable.
 
Sooooo,

Apparently I was handed an account block sometime between Sunday and today,

Considering I have not even used Chat in game no been in a single party i have no clue what the ban is for. So now i can't play which is just stupid.

Contact support as I believe they said some people may have been hacked already. If you're one of the unfortunate ones then you can prove it wasn't you spamming about selling gold by your IP address.
 
Sooooo,

Apparently I was handed an account block sometime between Sunday and today,

Considering I have not even used Chat in game no been in a single party i have no clue what the ban is for. So now i can't play which is just stupid.

It could possibly be a naming violation. I have read that Arenanet are pretty strict on offensive names.
 
How did you'll do this quest? Going to try hiding in the hut next I guess. Can I go to another zone and quest if I can't complete this one? My NPCs die in the first 5 - 10 seconds of the fight. It is a solo instanced quest.

Rumors of Trouble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nl3K3Lg0cY

Edit *Hiding in the hut does not help as they will follow you into it.*

LOL I had a terrible time with that quest. As a warrior, all of my NPCs would die in 10 seconds, and the mobs would all just pound me from range while I tried to melee them one by one. I died so many times that my character was naked due to all of my armor breaking. I asked a friend that plays a necromancer how he did the quest, and he just said "I don't know, it wasn't really that hard for me." That comment made me think that it would definitely be easier as ranged. In light of that, I ended up equipping the signet that gives me life regeneration while in combat and my rifle. When I went back in the quest instance, I just stood as far as possible from where the mobs and npcs were fighting and shot my rifle. By staying far away I was able to only pull one or two mobs at once, so I slowly just worked my way around killing them that way. I finished it no problem that time.
 
So I've been looking for a new MMO. I played EQ forever, WoW for about 5 years, and a little bit of Rift and SWG. I haven't played any MMOs in awhile now and I have that itch coming back.

I don't really have any RL friends playing GW2, is there a HardOCP guild in the game or something? I hate playing these games alone, and I'm on the fence about this one.
 
What attributes and traits should i be using most with a warrior? currently using a sword/axe combo.. and can i reset my skills and traits anywhere?
 
I can't believe I'm having so much fun with this game. Started with a necro leveled him to 15 and didn't like him much. Switched to a ranger and I'm loving Evey min of it. Been playing a lot over the weekend I'm level 40 now. Might have to slow it down and mess with professions and some world v. World.
 
Back
Top