The Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide thread.

Pyrolistical said:
Looks like the sweet spot is:

AMD Athlon64 300+
NVIDIA Geforce FX 6800 GT

Doom3 @ 1024x768 HQ

(which is exactly the system I'm trying to get :D )

:eek: With that setup you should be playing 1600x1200 HQ with no problem!

Can someone please help me interpret these benchmarks?

For example, consider the ABIT IC7-G with the Intel 3.0GHZ CPU and 1GB of ram. Its stats for min. fps, max. fps and avg. fps are 36/60/57.5 respectively with the 6800Ultra OC 256MB.

The ABIT AV8 with the FX-53 and 2GB of RAM on the other hand achieves 17/60/46.0 with the same video card.

My question is, why is the FX-53 seen as the better system when the Intel 3.0GHZ system has higher min. and avg. fps @ 1600x1200 resolution?

I'm stuck with my poor p4 2.2 in my sff, but have 6800gt 410/1100, 1 gig ram. Until shuttle releases that 939 sff.

What do you think I'll get? 1024x768 high res? Maybe 1280x1024 high w/ no AA?

Hi, great guide, will my system run da game well on around the medium level of detail?

P4 2.8Ghz
512 400Mhz DDr ram
radeon 9600pro 128Mb
dunno mother board sorry im a noob to this kinda stuff ;)

thanks

prizm said:
Can someone please help me interpret these benchmarks?

For example, consider the ABIT IC7-G with the Intel 3.0GHZ CPU and 1GB of ram. Its stats for min. fps, max. fps and avg. fps are 36/60/57.5 respectively with the 6800Ultra OC 256MB.

The ABIT AV8 with the FX-53 and 2GB of RAM on the other hand achieves 17/60/46.0 with the same video card.

My question is, why is the FX-53 seen as the better system when the Intel 3.0GHZ system has higher min. and avg. fps @ 1600x1200 resolution?

Because the AV8/FX-53 combo is using 4xAA, while the IC7-G/P4 combo is using NoAA.

Dougieha

I must chime in and repeat what has been said many times over already. Thank you guys for the well written, comprehensive article. You rock!

Now, what do you think is the better card to use specifically in D3 (computer is XP24000+ Moble @ 2.55Ghz with 1Gig of Ram)

BFG 5900NU

or

BBA 9800NP

From looking at your article, these cards should perform similar, but should I throw the BFG back in for the better openGL drivers?

They had no benchmarks with the asus a8v with fx-53.It was the first available 939 mobo,and reviews and benchmarks all say its better for gaming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, great guide, will my system run da game well on around the medium level of detail?

P4 2.8Ghz
512 400Mhz DDr ram
radeon 9600pro 128Mb
dunno mother board sorry im a noob to this kinda stuff

thanks

{AreZ} said:
Try to not double post ok?
and I think it should do ok at Medium, 800x600. Don't quote me though.

That was probably the best written hardware guide ever written period! There so many different configurations to choose from, almost everyone's system was supported. I was really happy to see that my system to could run it the way I hoped. I just wish to God I had a 6800 GT right now. 1600X1200, 8x af, with 57 fps is f*cking insane to me!! i was like damnnnn. im really considering buying a 6800gt just so i could run it at that res (but i need a new car :(), but im sure 1024X768 in high quality will be more than enough to really enjoy the gam! The only thing that I didn't understand was why the 9800 Pro card would always drop to to 7fps right at the end? is it a driver issue, or is it something with the card itself? I'd like to know if anyone has the Ultimate Doom 3 System (i know theyd have a lot of fun with it!!)

Anyways, thanks a lot to everyone who contributed with the article, benchmarks, or had anything to do with it. [H]ardocp just set the bar in terms of being for the gamers and enthusiasts!

PS hey Mr. Kyle Bennet, what system do you have, just wanna know if yours is the Ultimate one or not?

Why do I keep seeing poeple say "if you overclock your card" or similar?

I'm not arguing or anything, but didn't John Carmack (sp?) say that that would probably cause problems?

I would like to sqeeze a few more FPS out of my 9800 Pro, but not if it crashes the game. I guess we'll wait and see...

Dougieha said:
Because the AV8/FX-53 combo is using 4xAA, while the IC7-G/P4 combo is using NoAA.

Dougieha

I knew I had missed something. Thanks for clearing things up! :)

22killer said:
Please I need to know before saturday. Certain reasons.

Take GF4 MX 440, increase by approx 40%.

Or, bump Ti4200 down by 15% (guess).

800x600 probably, medium

{AreZ} said:

P4 2.8Ghz
512 400Mhz DDr ram
radeon 9600pro 128Mb
dunno mother board sorry im a noob to this kinda stuff ;)

thanks

Yeah, you're fine.

prey1979 said:
Hello all !! its been a long time since i have been in the hardware scene a very long time at that... however i have a weird setup and with the announcement of DOOM 3 i want to know if i may be able to play it ... i use my computer for my work but i want to try doom 3 hehee so because of what i do for a living it explains my system specs.

if anyone has any idea how doom 3 would run please let me know because im not sure how my video card would work!! thanks so much!

system specs.
Windows xp Pro
Intel Dual Xeon's @ 2.2ghz
1 GB RAM
nVidia Quadro 4 900 XGL 128 megs of ram
120 gb 7200 rpm
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

Yikes. /me looks up that card...

/me finds:
Ti4600 on crack.

K. 1024x768, medium quality, ~maybe~ 800x600, medium or high.

Here's an update on ATI's plans for re-working their OpenGL drivers lol.

Tech Report said:
ATI OpenGL improvements to come incrementally
By Scott Wasson - 2:58 PM, July 29, 2004

We talked a little about OpenGL performance when we interviewed ATI's David Nalasco back in May, so I thought I'd ping him for an update in light of the benchmark results from DOOM 3. I asked whether ATI is planning a rewrite of its OpenGL drivers. His answer:

Regarding Doom 3 and our OpenGL drivers, I think it's fair to say that performance improvements are coming, but it's not likely that we're going to one day just release a completely new and redesigned driver. Over the last couple of years our policy has been to release frequent, incremental driver updates, and we expect this to continue since it has worked very well so far. It lets us roll out changes gradually, and respond quickly if we discover any problems. It also ensures that we can maintain our high standards of stability.

So ATI will be taking an incremental approach. I'm curious to see whether ATI can match NVIDIA's performance with its competing products. Time will tell... bit by bit.

http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=7116

Technophobe said:
I'm a bit skeptical here, seems the only thing that is changing incrementally is ATi's claims about drivers.

First they said they would have drivers out before DOOM3 (I doubt if anyone really believed that), then it was they were in the process of reworked drivers, now it's that it'll be incremental.

I'm sort of losing faith here in ATi. They seem like they're pretty much just resting on the success of the R300 core, and haven't really done too much to actually innovate since then.

I own a 9800pro, and I love it, but the opengl drivers are in a sad state. My primary system which is a 3000+ w/ 9800pro only outperforms my secondary 1900+ w/ Ti 4400 by about 10-15% in Call of Duty. Plus it has an annoying tendency to mess up textures (it starts to look like 8bit color) when using resolutions above 1024x768 with opengl games like Enemy Territory, Medal of Honor, and Call of Duty.

Those of you that are thinking the X800's are going to get some big OpenGL boost from a driver re-work in the next couple of weeks for DOOM 3 shouldn't get your hopes up lol. ATI has been screwing around for 5 years on their OpenGL drivers so i dont know why people think ATI is going to be able to turn a rabbit into a rooster now.

And i dont know if anyone is interested but here is an MSI 6800U in stock for $599.

http://www.infotechnow.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2228

I know the price is a bit higher then some of the other Ultra's but its an MSI card. They are usually the most expensive. They always have big game bundles that come with them.

Hi Guys, i'm from france and i have 2 questions ;)

Should I enable VSYNC ?
If I enable it, should I enable triple buffering optimization in ati control panel ? (opengl settings)

My pc is Barton 3200
1 gb DDR
radeon 9800XT

I will play in 1024*768 in High quality i think

Thanks ;)

wow 599 is cheap, you just can't get one for such a low price here in the UK, unless it was broken...but even then...

I want to know about HL2 - is nvidia better or ATI, one will be IMO.

burningrave101 said:

Those of you that are thinking the X800's are going to get some big OpenGL boost from a driver re-work in the next couple of weeks for DOOM 3 shouldn't get your hopes up lol. ATI has been screwing around for 5 years on their OpenGL drivers so i dont know why people think ATI is going to be able to turn a rabbit into a rooster now.

And i dont know if anyone is interested but here is an MSI 6800U in stock for $599.

I know the price is a bit higher then some of the other Ultra's but its an MSI card. They are usually the most expensive. They always have big game bundles that come with them.

I'm just glad to see them being honest about it. I think everyone knew they were bs'ing when they said they would have a new driver out before D3.

I love how he took "no we aren't going to have a new driver for D3 and we'll be slower in that game for the foreseeable future" and turned it into "incremental driver releases are a good thing because they provide quality and stability"

You have to love how everything gets a spin put on it...

This is specially for Mike Ryan

Good Day,

I was the one who started the doubt about the test results with an AMD Xp 3200 and P4 3.0 GHZ with the ATI 9800pro 128 MB..First I need to say that I appreciate Mike intention to ask the question again, because until now nobody has been able to answer it..As we are all fanatic of this gaming world and most of all arent expert on the subject, maybe there isnt a person here who knows the answer about why the AMD 3200 deserves a High Quality and P4 3.0 only Medium quality..May be the person (sorry I am writing with my IPAQ so it is difficult to browse other pages ) who answered that it was as it was...is right...But I dont want to offend but maybe this doubt is just because I always try to explain something that called greatly my attention. Someone answered Mike that if he knew about CPU architecture he would get the answer.Please I ask him to teach us with his knowledge, because by now I am at the starting point...A few days ago I bought my P4 3.2 GHZ CPU so I made lot of researchs about P4 3.0, 3.2 and the AMD rivals.From that I learnt,

1. AMD Xp 3200 isnt better than P4 3.0 in terms of performance. Overall is slighty behind it in all areas of tests including games.
2. Amd begin to hit Intel with his AMD 64...P4 3.0 races against AMD 64 3200 and sometimes AMD 64 3000. P4 3.2 races against AMD 64 3400 and sometimes AMD 64 3200..The race is very matched but I admit that in gaming AMD 64 wins and sometimes it isnt a marginal victory..On the other hand Intel P4 wins almost all the tests about video and audio processing.

From the points above I still have my doubts about the result of the test even more if you consider other factors,

1. First as I mention the AMD Xp 3200 isnt better than P4 3.0..If anyone can prove that it is better please tell me...But even suppose they are in a perfect draw,
2. AMD 3200 has only 512 MB of RAM and P4 3.0 1 GB.Yes I know someone can tell me that Doom 3 is not dependent of Ram, but I havent seen a single system runs better with 512 MB ran instead of 1 GB.
3. The result not only gives AMD Xp 3200 High Quality instead of medium one given to the P4 3.0..It also gives 8xAF to the AMD and NO AF to P4...

Really there is something strange about it...or something I dont understand..Maybe we will have to wait until the game is released but my doubt still exist and nobody has been able to give a explanatory answer..If the AMD were a 64 model I would understand it..but not with a XP..I think it is to much punisment to P4 3.0 and I want to understand it...Thanks again and specially to Mike because I still have the same doubt.

wow my Geforce 6800 128mb $299 is far better then ATI's x800 XT 256mb $499 . I love you ID SOFTWARE and nVIDIA :)

MCRAYGSX said:
wow my Geforce 6800 128mb $299 is far better then ATI's x800 XT 256mb $499 . I love you ID SOFTWARE and nVIDIA :)

Wow I just noticed that...on the FX-53, the 6800nu is practically tied with the x800xt...jesus...

Empty you're constantly lowering my opinion of ATI and raising my Nvidia hopes (don;t try playing neutral either :p ).

ATI a word of warning: Stop this man(?) before he makes me spend up to $900 on nvidia...I'll do it - I'm serious!

Blad3 said:
Empty you're constantly lowering my opinion of ATI and raising my Nvidia hopes (don;t try playing neutral either :p ).

ATI a word of warning: Stop this man(?) before he makes me spend up to $900 on nvidia...I'll do it - I'm serious!

you have to admit, that makes a pretty strong statement about ATi's OpenGL drivers...it's a shame too, the X800XT is a badass card other than this little blemish...

...and the fact that it probably won't catch up for nvidia with doom3 for a while and that it could even be better in HL2 than ATI and that I'll be going with nvidia if this happens. SO will many other's...

Man I am so ready to get DOOM3 home and installed after reading that hardware guide. I now know my rig is ready to run DOOM3 like it should be run. The results on the lower PCs are shocking and the low res screen shots are unreal. I never thought 640x400 could look that good. Great work by id and HardOCP as usual. I just never thought I could run DOOM3 at 1600x1200 with 8xAF even with my new 6800GT but it looks like I will be able to. WOW this is awsome news. :D

burningrave101 said:

Funny enough the 4.8 beta have bumped my cod timedemo up around 14fps so theres some improvement at least.

Chris_B said:
Funny enough the 4.8 beta have bumped my cod timedemo up around 14fps so theres some improvement at least.

What's the before and after on that? like 120/135? lol...CoD is one of those cases where the argument that more performance isn't really needed holds true...

Radamen06590 said:
Hi Guys, i'm from france and i have 2 questions ;)

Should I enable VSYNC ?
If I enable it, should I enable triple buffering optimization in ati control panel ? (opengl settings)

My pc is Barton 3200
1 gb DDR
radeon 9800XT

I will play in 1024*768 in High quality i think

Thanks ;)

up ! :)

Burninggrave101 Is a NV rep I am sure of it.

I do have to say that the DOOM3 benchmarks did push me back to NVidia after being very happy with ATI cards for the last 2 years, but I go were the preformance is. Anyone who thinks DOOM3 benches dont mean much is crazy. :)

Chris_B said:

The Catalyst 4.8 beta's were used in the DOOM 3 benchmarks.

Dyslexic said:
Burninggrave101 Is a NV rep I am sure of it.

I do have to say that the DOOM3 benchmarks did push me back to NVidia after being very happy with ATI cards for the last 2 years, but I go were the preformance is. Anyone who thinks DOOM3 benches dont mean much is crazy. :)

burningrave is, well, very excited about the 6800 series...:)

^eMpTy^ said:
burningrave is, well, very excited about the 6800 series...:)

Tell me about it! He's like a cat in heat, prancing around with his butt in the air meeowing, and backing up to anything that says 6800.lol

^eMpTy^ said:
you have to admit, that makes a pretty strong statement about ATi's OpenGL drivers...it's a shame too, the X800XT is a badass card other than this little blemish...

That little blemish is going to turn into a gigantic festered zit in the middle of ATI's forhead when DOOM 3 releases on August 3rd.

Noone is going to be doing anything else but playing DOOM 3 and talking about DOOM 3. Half Life 2 isn't going to even be around till September.

And i've had my XFX 6800GT for about 3 weeks Dyslexic.

Back