The next NCASE project: a Steam Machine-style case (indeterminate)

The silver feet on the horizontal orientation kind of ruins this for me. Looks like low-end AV gear.
Marantz PM-14S1, Pioneer SC-LX57-K, Onkyo TX-NR5010 are just a few 1st hit Google's for $1000+ A/V receivers that have silver feet under a black case. This is also NOT A HTPC OR A/V DEVICE. Wikipedia: Steam Machine

Analyst: Downloadable titles make up 92% of PC games market

I'm with the first promoted comment in that article: "Personally? It's the 8% that surprises me."

Apple was right in pulling 3.5" floppies from the original iMac. The NCASE guys should pull a Jobs and call it as they see it. ODD is dead, dead, dead.
I totally agree. I still sometimes see people complain about the lack of a 5,25" drivebay for an mITX case. I remember the last few games I bought on a disc, it required me to connect to the internet to install an additional 4-8GB for patches and additional content. It's like buying music CD's when all you do is listen to an iPod and the radio.

Last edited:
This case is Ncase's take on Valve's Steam Machine (prototype) concept, which includes a minimal set of hardware in as small a case as possible. It (Valve's concept) doesn't include an ODD, due to size (and cost). The idea is to download/stream everything.

As far as I know, you can't download all games on consoles, so an ODD is mandatory for them. But I may be wrong, I don't know nor care much about the console world.

Since you can freely run any OS you want on a Steam Machine, it's a pc, not a console. I'll be using it mainly as a pc myself.

Not to sound silly or anything,but, if it wont replace my console,dvd player or tv box,why would I want it under my TV instead of under a monitor? Mind,I dont own a console,so this would probably be it,hence the odd is not an absolute must,but id rather kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

How about turn the side slot openings 90 degrees, make them thin, longer and rounded on the edges, and give them an alternating pattern for visuals? And then, use one of those openings for the optional ODD? ODD would be on the side, but it wouldn't require any visually distracting opening for people who don't use it...

Let me know if it's not clear, I'll try to photoshop something ;)

This is pretty good. Use the type of grille/vents on the Braun Atelier picture I posted earlier and do this. Murderbox did this with the MKII.

Access might be a bit awkward though if that side is blocked off by either a cabinet wall or something else so it's required either this case is sitting 90 degrees so that side is the top or it has a lot of spare space on that side so it kind of impairs functionality in some cases. I'm going to have to say I'm against it.

I am really not feeling the latest designs. The offset of power/usb buttons really bothers me.

In the original design, the front panel was properly proportioned and the buttons were well placed. With this ODD madness, it looks like I am buying a DVD/Blu ray player than a HTPC/console style PC.

I am really not feeling the latest designs. The offset of power/usb buttons really bothers me.

In the original design, the front panel was properly proportioned and the buttons were well placed. With this ODD madness, it looks like I am buying a DVD/Blu ray player than a HTPC/console style PC.

Agreed, the USB just looks randomly placed out. The first design was better. Although maybe they would look better turned 90 degrees but same spot. But this just tiny details..

DVD/Blu-ray HTPC software is, sadly, a bit of a joke in terms of polish and usability, which means nobody uses it and it's not going to get better.

This. Last I tried, Blu-ray doesn't work with XBMC or SteamOS, and the best you can do is make the Windows version of XBMC launch a shortcut to PowerDVD.

I think people are clamoring for "more, more, more," just because they can.

Analyst: Downloadable titles make up 92% of PC games market

I'm with the first promoted comment in that article: "Personally? It's the 8% that surprises me."

Apple was right in pulling 3.5" floppies from the original iMac. The NCASE guys should pull a Jobs and call it as they see it. ODD is dead, dead, dead.

Except that they aren't. DVD/Blu-ray HTPC software is, sadly, a bit of a joke in terms of polish and usability, which means nobody uses it and it's not going to get better.

Basically everybody uses a PS3/PS4/Xbone (or standalone Blu-ray player) as a Blu-ray/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon player/streamer, a NUC-like ODD-less HTPC (read: XBMC/Plex/Media Browser), and a DVR. With satellite you're stuck with the provider's box and with terrestrial cable you're stuck with Windows Media Center (which is now abandonware) and a Ceton/SiliconDust CableCARD tuner. Some use Tivo, but Tivo has been on a decades-long death spiral ala pre-bankruptcy GM.

?

I just mean using the DVD/Blu-Ray drive as a reader for your movies and whatnot and then play them using a media player. It's not very nice to have a keyboard and mouse controlling a TV from 5-10 feet away but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a compact HTPC case that has room for an ODD, here you go or these if you want a higher quality finish. It will be a lot cheaper and faster than waiting a year on this custom made Steam Machine with an external ODD.

Not to sound silly or anything,but, if it wont replace my console,dvd player or tv box,why would I want it under my TV instead of under a monitor? Mind,I dont own a console,so this would probably be it,hence the odd is not an absolute must,but id rather kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Well, I think a Steam Machine isn't really supposed to be a replacement for something.

EDIT: Removed ODD space occupation misunderstanding on my part.

Also, have you tried using an HTPC to play dvd (or worse, bluray)? If not, I promise that you'll actually want to use your stand-alone dvd/bluray-player instead. Why? Because dvd (and especially bluray) playback on an HTPC is a lot more complicated, and very much more problem-prone. All existing disc playback software for Windows and Linux have problems or limitations of varying degree, even (or perhaps especially) the expensive ones.

Last edited:
Agreed, the USB just looks randomly placed out. The first design was better. Although maybe they would look better turned 90 degrees but same spot. But this just tiny details..
Same here. Not a fan of USB ports placed far away from power button.

Last I tried, Blu-ray doesn't work with XBMC or SteamOS, and the best you can do is make the Windows version of XBMC launch a shortcut to PowerDVD.

Exactly. Also, PowerDVD is expensive, horribly bloated with "features" nobody would ever need, and not entirely stable. Oh, and slow (but that may be caused by the ODD).

I like the original or 3rd iteration, however the one thing I dont like is the placement of the usb ports. With the case standing on end, and the usb ports up high, anything you plug into the front will dangle unattractively down the front length of the case. No chance of having the ports moved to the bottom/right when the case is upright/horizontal?

I suppose not critical since i would just just the back ports...

I like the original or 3rd iteration, however the one thing I dont like is the placement of the usb ports. With the case standing on end, and the usb ports up high, anything you plug into the front will dangle unattractively down the front length of the case. No chance of having the ports moved to the bottom/right when the case is upright/horizontal?

I suppose not critical since i would just just the back ports...

Necere has said that this cannot be done because that space is occupied by the psu.

You could however do what I intend to do: turn the case upside down. The usb ports will be at the bottom, problem solved. :D

This is how I see it: since you'll be limited to a short "mini-itx" graphics card when using an ODD in this case, you might as well go for an already existing slim nice-looking HTPC case, which will support the same hardware.
Using an ODD (if we go with a layout that supports it) does not limit you to a short GPU. Rather, GPU length is limited to ~10.8", due to the relocated power/USB, vs. ~12" on the original non-ODD supporting version. This is still enough for 95% of GPUs on the market (though with either version, GPU height is still limited much like in the M1).

Using an ODD (if we go with a layout that supports it) does not limit you to a short GPU. Rather, GPU length is limited to ~10.8", due to the relocated power/USB, vs. ~12" on the original non-ODD supporting version. This is still enough for 95% of GPUs on the market (though with either version, GPU height is still limited much like in the M1).

for the love of god please go back to the original design.

the ODD inclusion has completely destroyed the original design ethos.

4th variation - essentially the original design with the power/USB/logo moved to the other side:

cJGsVGn.jpg

DC0vhhs.jpg

mn069eF.jpg

eICvzLx.jpg

Plus, they haven't shown us the NCASE N1 NUC replacement chassis.. yet :D

I agree, let's get on with a replacement for the stale Mac Mini and the ugly NUC-ling. That's where Intel thinks the Steam Box, HTPC, and home storage servers are going early 2015. Gigabyte agrees and has an 84W 3.2 - 3.9Ghz Quad core 4770R CPU in a nice little case (Brix Pro).

4th variation - essentially the original design with the power/USB/logo moved to the other side:
-snip-

Is it possible to have the first variation with the ODD below it, or is there not enough space to do that?
Just to put in my vote on the If we end up with an ODD compatible version I like the 4th one best so far. The spaced out USB ports on previous versions didn't look as nice to me.

It's like buying music CD's when all you do is listen to an iPod and the radio.

Hey, I resemble that remark :eek:

I have a crap-ton of unopened optical discs (CD, DVD, Bluray). Just my way of supporting a particular artist or movie I enjoy, while still owning a physical hardcopy. I'm not a fan of digital-only media (in usage, but not in purchasing).

4th variation - essentially the original design with the power/USB/logo moved to the other side..

This looks really good.. in both ODD and no-ODD configs. I'm not sure why, but the ODD slot and USB ports don't looks so out of place now.

Whenever you get a moment, could you post a render of the LRPC vertically beside an M1 for size comparison?

Is it possible to have the first variation with the ODD below it, or is there not enough space to do that?
There's not enough space (assuming you want to be able to use a GPU with the ODD). This is how it looks internally:

gMNMEyR.png

Whenever you get a moment, could you post a render of the LRPC vertically beside an M1 for size comparison?
Yeah, I'll do it in a bit.

The latest tweak just doesn't look visually balanced. Having the logo/ports/button on top brings the eyes up and just feels more natural and less cluttered. That and 12" GPU support is important for the AMD guys.

Like I said, you really hit it out of the park the first time around. Ignore all the ODD noise. People don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Like I said, you really hit it out of the park the first time around. Ignore all the ODD noise. People don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Kinda agree with this. The first one still looks the best, especially when standing vertically. The fourth one looks the best when sitting horizontally.

Necere, if it's not too much trouble, could you do a rendering of the fourth variant with the logo in the position of the first variant?

I am liking the high odd and low I/O. I wonder though,does the "ssd above odd maybe" apply the other way aroound,ie,ssd below odd? At least they would share a bracket no? The render above isn't very hopeful though.

M1 and LRPC:

QICm1Rq.jpg

Necere, if it's not too much trouble, could you do a rendering of the fourth variant with the logo in the position of the first variant?

dADD2Mo.jpg

5YsWtm3.jpg

I am liking the high odd and low I/O. I wonder though,does the "ssd above odd maybe" apply the other way aroound,ie,ssd below odd? At least they would share a bracket no? The render above isn't very hopeful though.
It would put the slot super close to the edge of the case.

Thanks Necere!! I actually like that. Any chance of a render with it standing vertically?

Thanks Necere!! I actually like that. Any chance of a render with it standing vertically?
You know I'm "cheating" and just moving the logo in photoshop... it's literally less than 2 minutes vs. the 20 or 30 minutes it takes it to set up and render each time. But it's not like there's a perceptible difference:

jsDSmCL.jpg

fGvIEsp.jpg

I believe the 4th iteration is as perfect as it gets. Absolutely stunning this.

EDIT: Id say the logo fits in either corner, looks equally good to me.

Ah, my bad. I didn't realize that the ODD could be placed completely outside the gpu space. Must have mixed it up with the AIO radiator fitment discussion.

Collage time !

These are the 4 variations Necere has made IN ADDITION to the original design, which doesn't allow an ODD in it's unaltered form. So Necere actually posted 5 different front styles and port arrangements available here, next to the 10.8 gazillion he has done in the background.

A few notes:
- this is NOT an HTPC case, this is a STEAM MACHINE case. Good HTPC cases: here and here
- the ODD needs space on the top-left side when seen from the front oriented horizontally, the only realistic way to place it without jumbling everything up (not gonna happen) and gaining more volume.
- you can ALWAYS use an external ODD, they even have them in aluminium enclosures.
- the rumor is Necere is a being of pure energy, working inside a computer and thus knows exactly what we need. Wahaha360 is rumored to exist out of our physical dimension and is omnipotent, knowing all about lolcatz 'n' shippingz.

Just for reference, this is not a vote (yet) !!

VERTICAL

ruJWpbW.png

HORIZONTAL

pk0ZtmG.png

VERTICAL with ODD

eRwehr9.png

HORIZONTAL with ODD

mSEy9DS.png

Last edited:
With that said, I like variations 3 & 4 the most, considering with or without ODD. But the original design (start post) still has my strongest support. #ODDisforgranny

#oddisforgranny.

3 and 4. 4 being the strongest. It just looks sick on vertical

Since this isn't yet a vote, I will not say thet i prefer the original, but like option 2 best of the latest four versions. I have to say though. None of the versions so far are anywhere near ruining it in no-odd version.

You know I'm "cheating" and just moving the logo in photoshop... it's literally less than 2 minutes vs. the 20 or 30 minutes it takes it to set up and render each time. But it's not like there's a perceptible difference:

Thanks again!!! (cheating in this instance is fine, btw)

To you, there might not be a perceptible difference. To me, it makes a HUGE difference to the case aesthetics. When horizontal, having the power/USB and logo on opposite corners makes it more balanced. When vertical, what's the last thing the eye sees when it looks at the front? The logo!! Also, the ODD slot is not instantly noticeable (Remember, the eye will often miss details in the top right and bottom left of objects, because we scan top left to bottom right).

If you're adding an ODD slot, this is easily my preference.

Hey man I registered here just to tell you that I'm willing to buy this thing (whichever variation, I'm desperate) can you please give an ETA and ordering info?

Hey man I registered here just to tell you that I'm willing to buy this thing (whichever variation, I'm desperate) can you please give an ETA and ordering info?

If you're desperate, you'll need to look elsewhere. I'd expect it to take quite a long time before this case goes into production. But I could be wrong.

4 no ODD...wouldn't placing the USB ports near the middle 1 & 2 (and maybe 3) cause internal clearance issues?

4 no ODD...wouldn't placing the USB ports near the middle 1 & 2 (and maybe 3) cause internal clearance issues?

The usb ports cause an internal clearance issue with the graphics card (limiting its maximum length) in all variants except the original.

Back