The new GLOSSY AH-IPS Dell S2415H

Anybody know if this is a "low glow" panel (like the Eizo FG2450 and Dell 2414H)?

Edit, looked at video in review, doesn't look like it is unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm using old matte TN CCFL monitor with contrast 700:1
Will black level with glow be comparable at least outside corners from 60 cm / 2 feet distance?

Last edited:
A question to owners: does it have a service menu where RGB bias and gain can be adjusted?

Shame to hear this monitor doesn't match the H226HQL :( It looked promising and was hoping Dell would release a S2215H. I also have the H226HQL and I am upset that I didn't get more. I love the one I have. Hard to find in Canada for a good price anymore.

Curious though, it looks like the G227HQL is a somewhat replacement model for the H226HQL. It's a glossy frameless IPS as well. Can't find any reviews on it nor any forum chatter. Anyone here picked one up? I'm looking for user feedback whether it's using PWM or not. Acer support says it uses PWM but I don't always trust what one support tech says.
I think it's on sale this week at Bestbuy for $129.

I don't mean to bump an old thread but instead of making a new one, I need some help.

I already made a thread over a month ago about what monitor I should buy. I already bought two monitors and sold them both (Asus VN248H-P and BenQ EW2740L). I

I've read this thread numerous times trying to find the right monitor for me. I want a glossy screen, the best color accuracy out of the box and as little IPS glow as possible. I know those standards may be too high and maybe I'll need to compromise but I've looked at several monitors mentioned here and need help deciding on one.

Dell S2415H
Dell S2340M
Acer H22HQL
Acer H236HL
Acer S236HL

Or any other suggestions, must be glossy though please and thank you!

I would like to know which one of these has the best color out of the box, least amount of IPS glow/Backlight bleed and if possible, best black levels. From reading this thread it seems like the Acer H22HQL is the popular choice. I would also prefer the least amount of ghosting if possible.

Thanks everyone!

The Dell S2340M and Acer H236HL use LED PWM Dimming which ruins motion clarity (example), makes some people see flickering and some people suffer from health issues like headaches and/or eyestrain.

The S2415H, HP 23 Envy and S236HL are PWM free and pretty much the same image quality wise but the S236HL suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting. The new HP 27CW, 25XW and 27XW all use higher quality PWM free AH-IPS panels with more vibrant colours and an almost-glossy coating which is marginally less reflective than a glossy coating but equally as vibrant and clear. The above HP's are better than all of the 1080p AH-IPS/PLS panels available aside from the Eizo EV2336, but it's matte. More information and review links.

The Dell S2340M and Acer H236HL use LED PWM Dimming which ruins motion clarity (example), makes some people see flickering and some people suffer from health issues like headaches and/or eyestrain.

The S2415H, HP 23 Envy and S236HL are PWM free and pretty much the same image quality wise but the S236HL suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting. The new HP 27CW, 25XW and 27XW all use higher quality PWM free AH-IPS panels with more vibrant colours and an almost-glossy coating which is marginally less reflective than a glossy coating but equally as vibrant and clear. The above HP's are better than all of the 1080p AH-IPS/PLS panels available aside from the Eizo EV2336, but it's matte. More information and review links.

Thank you for your response!

Alright so the Dell S2340M and Acer H236HL are a no go because I'm not a fan of LED PWM Dimming (I know most people aren't) if it causes those issues like eyestrain and headaches.

I checked out those HP monitors and they seem like they have the same coating as my previous monitor (BenQ EW2740L) and I wasn't a fan of it. Speaking of the BenQ, it is also supposed to be flicker free but I still experienced some eyestrain and headaches from it but I think it's because of the bigger screen.

Do you have an opinion on the Acer H22HQL? On page 2 of this thread, I read posts saying the Dell S2415H doesn't match it's picture quality and I think someone said it's also PMW free. I also read the HP 23 Envy has weird colors? I'm not sure where I read it but when looking at an unboxing video, I noticed it a little bit too.

So for me, it seems like it's down to the Dell S2415H, Acer S236HL and the Acer H22HQL. I think I read someone say one of the Acers has minimal white glow and great factory calibrated color but I have to find out which one.

I checked out those HP monitors and they seem like they have the same coating as my previous monitor (BenQ EW2740L) and I wasn't a fan of it.

Nah, the EW2740L has a ~13% haze light AG coating, the "Low Haze" HP Monitors are 1-3% haze semi-glossy.

Nah, the EW2740L has a ~13% haze light AG coating, the "Low Haze" HP Monitors are 1-3% haze semi-glossy.

Ahh I see, my mistake.

I saw a review of the HP 25CW and the 27XW and they look like nice displays.

I don't know though. I want to find a keeper, I'm tired of buying and selling/returning monitors. I just want to find the right one and stick with it.

I appreciate the info from you and NCX about the HP monitors. Those seem like the way to go.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I didn't even open the link you sent me NCX, that seems like exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for the help guys.

Last edited:

The HP 27CW, 25Xw and 27XW are 1% haze, hence my 'almost-glossy' classification. They're grain and sparkle free, and don't suffer from white hazy reflections when displaying dark content like semi-glossy and matte coatings do. The 25XW I'm testing can cover 97% of the sRGB colour space with barely any over-saturation unlike the majority 27" 1440p monitors, and has a 1400:1 contrast ratio. The 25XW is easily one of the best monitors in existence, especially when considering the price. The 27CW is pretty much the same but the unit I tested had lower contrast (<1200:1).

Coating Comparison. From Left to Right: glossy Crossover 2720MDP (S-IPS) with custom painted bezel, semi-glossy Crossover 434K (AH-IPS), QHD277 Universal with Plasma Deposition Coating and the almost-glossy HP 27Cw (AH-IPS).

So for me, it seems like it's down to the Dell S2415H, Acer S236HL and the Acer H22HQL. I think I read someone say one of the Acers has minimal white glow and great factory calibrated color but I have to find out which one.

The HP 23 Envy is essentially just an Acer S236HL without the obvious overshoot ghosting. The Acer H series also suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting and I don't know if it can be reduced by accessing the service menu like the S236HL (the service menu settings reset when the monitor goes to sleep, is turned off or looses the digital signal), but all of the previously mentioned monitors are inferior compared to the HP 27CW, 25XW and 27XW.

Ah nice, I see you have a review in progress
Looking pretty good so far and overclockable to 75hz too

The HP 23 Envy is essentially just an Acer S236HL without the obvious overshoot ghosting. The Acer H series also suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting and I don't know if it can be reduced by accessing the service menu like the S236HL (the service menu settings reset when the monitor goes to sleep, is turned off or looses the digital signal), but all of the previously mentioned monitors are inferior compared to the HP 27CW, 25XW and 27XW.

I'm very close to deciding on the HP 25XW, you've convinced me and I know I keep saying it but I really appreciate the help!

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a picture or two of the HP 25XW? I want to see what it looks like when it's off and what it looks like when displaying a dark image. If not that's alright, but I'm really close to buying one. Very nice and very affordable

I only have 27CW photos (available here) since I tested it first and only acquired the 25XW on Tuesday. The 25XW is pretty much identical aside from having an external white casing and higher contrast, but the contrast difference is a result of panel lottery. The 27CW in my comparisons looks a little darker than the others since its gamma rises slightly (to match a BT 1886 curve or sRGB curve depending onthe Black Stretch settings) when the colour controls are unlocked (photos were taken after calibration when connected to a PS4), but the gamma is spot on out-of-the-box (targets 2.2 gamma) and can be customized with the Black Stretch Settings. Default settings versus OSD adjustments and higher gamma. Both the 27CW and 25XW's default settings are very accurate and don't need to be modified.

Wow that monitor looks great! Alright I'm going to buy the 25XW! Thank you so much for all the help. Although I should probably ask before I make the purchase. What is the difference between the 25XW and the 25CW besides price?

Last edited:
Sucks that this is 16:9. Would've made a great cheap LCD for basic use if it was 16:10 or 4:3.

I promise this will be my last post but I went ahead and purchased the HP 25XW, I really like what I saw from the pictures and reviews on Amazon. One final thank you to NCX for helping me out!

So is the only difference between the 25XW and 25CW being color? Also how is the glow on these? There seems to be very little info on them around the web.

My review isn't finished but there's enough information in it and in this thread to get the gist: they are amazing and are easily the best 1080p IPS/PLS monitors available.

Hi and thank you for the review!

I wanted to know what do you think about the Samsung S24/27E390HL which is reviewed here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s24e390hl/

The question is about how the Samsung performes compared to the HP according the informations in this review. Which of these monitors should be better? And why?

I would really appreciate your expert opinion.

Thank you in advance.

The Samsung AD-PLS panels suffer from far, far more glow and are matte, they simply can not compare to the HP 25-27CW/XW image quality wise, but are very similar pixel response time and delay wise.

The Samsung AD-PLS panels suffer from far, far more glow and are matte, they simply can not compare to the HP 25-27CW/XW image quality wise, but are very similar pixel response time and delay wise.

Thank you for the answer.

I bought the HP too and I will compare both monitors and report back.

Which settings can you recommends me for the HP 27CW?

Cheers.

EDIT:

I tested both monitor, the Samsung 27E390HL and the HP 27CW.

According to me you cannot compare the Samsung and the Hp: The Samsung is according to me just superior --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/137591141@N07/? (left: HP, right: Samsung)

Last edited:
phie, in what ways do you find the samsung superior?

I recently purchased the HP 27CW for work and am quite happy with it. It has the few minor design flaws that NCX mentions (no height adjust, no vesa mount, and a stupid black "non-bezel") but nothing I didn't know about going in or that wasn't present in the other options.

phie, in what ways do you find the samsung superior?

I recently purchased the HP 27CW for work and am quite happy with it. It has the few minor design flaws that NCX mentions (no height adjust, no vesa mount, and a stupid black "non-bezel") but nothing I didn't know about going in or that wasn't present in the other options.

I posted some pics of the difference.

The Samsung has stronger and more colors, it is sharper and I see no difference in regards to the glossy panel.
I really wanted to have the HP because of the panel and now I had to refund 10&#8364; for the return. But I had to admit to myself that the Samsung is simply better.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137591141@N07/?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I'm not sure that you're accurate in saying that one is 'sharper' or has 'more colors' if they are both 8 bit 1080p 27in panels. I'll take the statement about 'stronger' colors to mean that the Samsung is more saturated, which can lead to the perception of something looking better, despite being less accurate.

Thanks for the response, though. I'm glad that you found a display that you're happy with.

Love my Dell U2515H. She's a beauty. Now Dell just needs to jump on the Freesync/G-Sync bandwagon.

I'm not sure that you're accurate in saying that one is 'sharper' or has 'more colors' if they are both 8 bit 1080p 27in panels. I'll take the statement about 'stronger' colors to mean that the Samsung is more saturated, which can lead to the perception of something looking better, despite being less accurate.

Thanks for the response, though. I'm glad that you found a display that you're happy with.

Sorry, I don't know how to describe this. "More saturated"? Maybe. Fact is that I see a big difference between the two monitors (both calibrated…).

The Samsung has stronger and more colors, it is sharper and I see no difference in regards to the glossy panel.]

It's clear that the Samsung suffers from a red tint and black crush (the high gamma makes colours look darker and more vibrant in some cases) which you are mistaking for 'quality'.

Last edited:
It's clear that the Samsung suffers from a red tint and black crush (the high gamma makes colours look darker and more vibrant in some cases) which you are mistaking for 'quality'.

Hi NCX, do you have any idea about the quality of LG 24MP77HM ?
http://www.lg.com/in/monitors/lg-24MP77HM
I need to buy one affordable monitor soon, unfortunately HP 25XW is not awailabe in India and only 27CW and 23CW are available.. but I fear that 27CW might be too big for HD res.
Thanks and regards.

Maybe this is bad example to compare against but most "audiophiles" will swear that when buying a headphone amp you have to have something that is completely flat and neutral so no "coloring" of your sound that way you are listening to the music the way it was originally recorded. However there are tons of people who actually enjoy tube amps which purposely distort and color the sound signature but they find it to be a more enjoyable experience. When it comes to monitors maybe we can sorta say the same thing in that some people just really enjoy inaccurate, oversaturated colors. Can we really claim that 100% accurate colors will give a more enjoyable experience and is the one and only right way to use a monitor? Perhaps some people will find that more accurate colors just looks duller or less life like. I personally think that color accuracy really matters if you're into photography or video editing but otherwise for gaming and such as long as you find the colors to look great or "pop" and are happy with what you are seeing then that's good enough.

Sorry, I don't know how to describe this. "More saturated"? Maybe. Fact is that I see a big difference between the two monitors (both calibrated&#8230;).

Calibration doesn't change gamut on the monitors without hardware lut. It simply maps the gamut values in a color profile so that color managed software such as photoshop could do proper gamut conversion. Everything else will look the same including desktop and games.

In case you are talking about factory calibration, none of them are calibrated. The PLS panels are more saturated because they have some gamut overcoverage compared to ah-ips panels which are closer to srgb.

Maybe this is bad example to compare against but most "audiophiles" will swear that when buying a headphone amp you have to have something that is completely flat and neutral so no "coloring" of your sound that way you are listening to the music the way it was originally recorded. However there are tons of people who actually enjoy tube amps which purposely distort and color the sound signature but they find it to be a more enjoyable experience. When it comes to monitors maybe we can sorta say the same thing in that some people just really enjoy inaccurate, oversaturated colors. Can we really claim that 100% accurate colors will give a more enjoyable experience and is the one and only right way to use a monitor? Perhaps some people will find that more accurate colors just looks duller or less life like. I personally think that color accuracy really matters if you're into photography or video editing but otherwise for gaming and such as long as you find the colors to look great or "pop" and are happy with what you are seeing then that's good enough.

In most cases, inaccurate colors just look outright bad. Something like 2.4 gamma with black crush and 7500k color temp paired with too much gamut would be just painful to look at.

People who like inaccurate colors simple don't know any better and are used to the terrible picture.

In most cases, inaccurate colors just look outright bad. Something like 2.4 gamma with black crush and 7500k color temp paired with too much gamut would be just painful to look at.

People who like inaccurate colors simple don't know any better and are used to the terrible picture.

I don't know about that. If you look at the Samsung thread all you see is people raving about how wonderful the colors are, how much they "pop" and make their IPS screens look dull and washed out. Even when people with a good amount of knowledge try to chime in and say that their colors are simply off, all you get are a bunch of responses defending it. No matter how much you try to inform them they will just disregard it. But hey if they enjoy their displays that way and are happy with it then I won't try to say it was a bad purchase.

Don't know... it is a very difficult question: Oversaturated and more "pop" effect or natural colors? At my noob-eyes the first thing I thought as I saw many pics on both monitors was: "wow, the samsung is definitely better!!". It's not just the saturation but also that the fonts of the system are just... shaper, "more black". And because I need the monitor for to play games I like this more.

I tested the HP for one hour. I wanted to keep it because of the glossy panel, of the price (249&#8364; for the samsung, 219&#8364; for the HP), because I didn't want to refund 10&#8364; more for the return and because I like the HP more than the Samsung. But I found no way to convince me to keep it, unfortunately.

How do you set the HP?

I would like to understand this. Can you explain me please how can I appreciate the HP over the Samsung? It is a serious, maybe strange question.

Last edited:
I would like to understand this. Can you explain me please how can I appreciate the HP over the Samsung? It is a serious, maybe strange question.

The Samsung is obviously way too red and the black crush makes detail in dark scenes disappear while the HP is accurate and natural looking.

Hi NCX, do you have any idea about the quality of LG 24MP77HM?

It's a generic matte IPS panel, most of which are pretty much the same, and inferior compared to the HP 25-27 CW and XW. If you want a cheap matte IPS try to get a Dell P2x14 (23 or 24") since they come with a height adjustable stand and a nice matte grey bezel which increases the perceived black depth.

Last edited:
Just looked at the photos.

Samsung seems to have much higher gamma, to the point where some details in the first photo are lost. This would explain why it appears better and more contrasty. HP definitely looks more accurate to me.

Anyway, the best way to know is to buy a meter and measure them both, looking at the photos on our own displays is just guessing.

Also, what you need to do is to open a white screen on both displays and look which one appears less bluish to you. This is more important because you can change the gamma easily but when it comes to native white point of the panel, it's much more complicated and some displays simply can't be corrected and will look bluish no matter the rgb settings.

Last edited:
It's a generic matte IPS panel, most of which are pretty much the same, and inferior compared to the HP 25-27 CW and XW. If you want a cheap matte IPS try to get a Dell P2x14 (23 or 24") since they come with a height adjustable stand and a nice matte grey bezel which increases the perceived black depth.

thanks for the info mate, ill most probably purchase a 27cw.

Because I'm paranoid and I have nothing to do, I wanted to give to HP another chance and I compared again both monitors. I checked the settings and the distance.

You say the colors of the Samsung are oversaturated? Not natural? Too "red"? Sorry colors of the Samsung compared to the HP just appear to me more pop, vibrant, alive and shaper.

For me there is no way that the HP is "better". I invite you to test the Samsung personally to convince you.

P.S.
The Samsung reveals more details than the HP, not reversely!

Last edited:
Back