The Mummy Official Trailer

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

I am still not sure what Tom Cruise is doing in a super-campy movie like this, as he could opt for just about any kind of flick nowadays, but here is a new trailer for Universal’s reboot of The Mummy. This is supposed to kick off the Universal Monsters cinematic universe, but I don’t know anyone who is actually excited about the idea of Dracula fighting the Wolf Man, or whatever nonsense they are cooking up. How come nobody gave Brendan Fraser a call to be in the new Mummy? I don’t think he has anything better to do right now.

2. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

I thought Dracula Untold was supposed to kick of the reboots?

But instead of all these campy reboots, they should just make awesome movies. The Mummy films with Brendan were pretty good. This one looks 90% CGI, not enough real footage nowadays.

GotNoRice and Ur_Mom like this.
  3. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

I'm not watching it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GotNoRice likes this.
  4. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

I was just wondering if they would ever come back to this series. A bit surprised they decided to go with a new lead actor.

5. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

I think this reboot is supposed to have a more serious tone and not the campiness of the Brendan Fraser movies

6. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Reboots and comic adaptations. And n+1th sequels to anything that gets money. Is there no room for original ideas in hollywood anymore?

Armenius likes this.
  7. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

ehh, looks pretty cool, will watch it :p

8. azuza001

azuza001 Gawd

Did you like it as a kid? Then you will love it as a darker, gritty, seriously over the top swear fest! Introducing my little war ponies vs rabid care bears!

SamuraiInBlack likes this.
  9. Gmok Bonecrusha

Gmok Bonecrusha [H]ard|Gawd

Did this really need a reboot? I mean Christ, the 1999 version is damn near untouchable as far as summer popcorn flicks go. It will just be seen as worse by most no matter what.

GotNoRice and BB Gun like this.
  10. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

'cause he get to do cool/crazy shit like this:

primetime likes this.
  11. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

Tom Cruise looks great for his age (54)...he can probably keep doing all these stunt heavy Mission Impossible and Mummy movies for another few years

12. Taldren

Taldren Gawd

Looks akin to "Edge of Tomorrow" ... if so, I'll watch it for sure.
    Live Die Repeat

13. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

I think hollywood only ever made one movie.

Armenius likes this.
  14. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

Not really interested in this one.... for multiple reasons.

The 1999 film is a guilty pleasure for me though. I'll watch it nearly anytime and still have a great time with it. So many good banter bits in that movie.

15. James Robinson

James Robinson Limp Gawd

Wow.. that's really somethin' Lex.....

16. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

yeah i swear Tom Cruise stopped aging after he hit 40, he hasn't changed any all. but i'm with everyone else, not a huge fan of the movies being remade. just feels like another attempt at X-Men: Apocalypse without the X-Men.

17. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Trailer looks good, and Tom Cruise is probably the best action movie star out there right now-despite his personal life weirdness. The mission impossible movies get better with every iteration. The edge of tomorrow was fantastic. I'll probably see this one and enjoy it - regardless of my affection for the original.

dvsman and Armenius like this.
  18. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Eh..."Being of unimaginable power, but they apparently had zero issue imprisoning her 2000 years ago". Story seems weak just based on that alone.

Also..I liked the campy Brendan Fraser Mummy. They were fun and just the right amount of cheese. This feels like a "serious dark" reboot when no one actually wanted a serious dark reboot.

19. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Whatever you think about Tom Cruise as a person almost every movie he has acted in has been at least decent. The guy is almost impervous to truly bad movies. I hope he keeps up the trend and this movie turns out to be watchable too. I am bit worried about the CGI though.

Armenius likes this.
  20. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Ummm... I did. I mean, Brendan Fraser movies were great tongue in the cheek flicks but I think its time to take the mummy back to it's serious roots. After the Hammer horror films that were made decades ago Mummies have not been in that many movies, unlike Vampires which seem to find their way in every shitty teenage movie.

21. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Don't worry couldn't be any worse than the Rock as the Scorpion King...

That was terrible. Anyway, I'll give this one a shot. I like Tom Cruise as an actor. Looking forward to Top Gun 2.

Ducman69 and MaZa like this.
  22. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Oh god, that was so bad... I saw the movie in theaters and it looked really bad even then.

Krenum likes this.
  23. SonicTron

SonicTron Snopes is My Fact Checker

24. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

25. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

Had me at "paint it black" and wanted the song to continue.

dvsman and Etherton like this.
  26. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

Those Scientology auditing tests aren't cheap!

27. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

I see the sound engineer decided to put audio in this trailer. That was nice of him this time.

In all fairness that is the fact of movie goers not Hollywood. Studios want to make money, yet most people prefer to go see big named movies and remakes. If I gave you the option of working 10 hours and making $25,000 or working 14 hours and making between $50 and $45,000 with that number being decided on once you were done working which would you go for?

I accept that I am part of the issue. I watch 15+ movies a month with maybe 1 of those not being something that is highly advertised or has people in it that I know.

28. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'd most definitely go with 10 hours for 25.000. But I don't know how is that related. Shooting a new idea doesn't take longer than shooting an N+1th sequel. And actors tend to get greedy if they're retained for multiple sequels. They always get less money out of first parts. So it's less risks for studios. Than when they're at the 5th part of a big hyped series where everyone wants tens of millions for few minute roles.

29. tikiman2012

tikiman2012 [H]ard|Gawd

Just can't bring myself to support a cult leader. You know, morals & all that shit.

M76 likes this.
  30. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

Shooting doesn't take longer but coming up with the idea does. You have to spend time writing a new script vs copying one that was already done. There is less risk involved and fewer unknowns as you know that if people keep going and seeing N+1th for 4 versions they will most likely still go see the 5th. So even with paying the actors more you still have an idea of how much you will make. There is no question right now if Furious 8 or Star Wars 8 will make money or be major flops. They know that people will rush to see the movies. Same goes for certain types of movies. Everyone bitched about how much DC has fucked up recently making movies, however even with all the negative talk about the movies BvS and Suicide Squad still make a large amount of money as everyone still rushed to see the movies. But you look at some of the more independent or new ideas movies, and those are questionable if you are going to get people to want to go see them. I tried finding numbers for a few new idea movies, and I couldn't even find their budget let alone how much they made.

31. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Looks like Mission Impossible: Undead Protocol.

scojer likes this.
  32. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

Bring back Inspector Gadget......................hahahahahahaha

How many Mummies do you need?????

33. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

I have never seen a movie with Tom Cruise that I didn't like.

34. kledar586

kledar586 [H]ard|Gawd

that War of the Worlds remake he did was pretty bad

35. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Pretty much, he's not about the art of gay-cowboys-eating-pudding cinéma. He's an adrenaline junky who continues to be mystified by how much people will pay him to have ridiculous amounts of what he considers to be fun.

pendragon1 likes this.
  36. rehab

rehab Gawd

Ill watch it but yea, I dont get why we are rebooting movies that are less than 20 years old. Point Break nearly crushed me.
    I wouldnt mind seeing some updated versions of good stories from the 70s-80s that suffered from bad special effects or animation... like a remake of Krull would be cool.

37. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

Brendan didn't get the part bc he looks like shit these days. I mean let himself go is an understatement.

38. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Critic score on that was 74%. User score was 42% at rotten tomatoes.

I actually really liked that movie - might help that it has one of the greatest bass soundtracks of all time. So those of us with premium home theater audio systems get to really enjoy the experience.
    This is my theater from 2011-2014 --- where I have a clip from that movie. In 2014, my family moved and I've transitioned to a more capable system with eight 18" subwoofers --- but they are sealed rather than ported. ;)
    Start at 29 seconds.

Anyway - yeah - I can't think of a single movie I didn't like he's in - and I can think of a lot that are outstanding.

Armenius likes this.
  39. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Very nice. What kind of thread count is that? And is it natural down or artificial?

;)

Armenius and Archaea like this.
  40. kledar586

kledar586 [H]ard|Gawd

hmm thinking hard now about a Cruise movie that is bad, hard than I thought it would be... Eyes Wide shut? Days of Thunder?