The Metroid for Switch Rumors Thread

Blackstone

2[H]4U
The rumors are starting. Retro Studios is working on a classified project. I only hope inevitable Metroid game uses the joycon like a Wii mote pointer as in Trilogy. That was the most wicked first person console shooter control scheme ever.

I would settle for an HD port of trilogy, actually, for my annual Metroid Prime speed runs.

I loved the Metroid series until Prime happened. I forced myself to get through Metroid Prime as I felt I could eventually get into it but never did. I know this isn't a popular sentiment but here's hoping the a new game tries something non-FPS.

Metroid Fusion is the sequel to Super Metroid... was pretty good, but how many times can they rehash the "start with no powers, get moar to advance" theme?

I wouldn't be surprised if any new Metroid takes a page out of Zelda: BOTW's playbook, "open world with an emphasis on exploration and experimentation".

Really the early Zelda's and Metroids have similar design philosophies, and BOTW-style gameplay would be well suited for the Metroid franchise.

Yea just think if they did inter-planetary travel like No Man's Sky, mixed with interactivity like GTA, then add in a bit of sexual tension between Samus and her PDA, but then the AI turns on her when it discovers the ability to coexist in a higher dimension while simultaneously scoring loads of other space chicks, driving Samus into a jealous rage and finding an upgrade that destroys the universe and reverses time back to when she was a little girl and her mom is pouring her some warm milk before bed time...

..well, that wasn't my proudest fap :/

I wouldn't be surprised if any new Metroid takes a page out of Zelda: BOTW's playbook, "open world with an emphasis on exploration and experimentation".

Really the early Zelda's and Metroids have similar design philosophies, and BOTW-style gameplay would be well suited for the Metroid franchise.

Just no equipment wear. So dumb.

2D or 3D I just want some Metroid!

Axion Verge is a great 2D Metroid like game. It's on sale right now in fact on Steam for $9.99. Highly recommend checking it out.

I'd be happy with 2D or 3D. Even if they're totally different styles of game, but were extremely well done.
I lean in the direction of 3D, though. Honestly, I don't want the Switch to be nothing but 80's rehashes like the "New" Super Mario Series and stuff like Blaster Master and Ultra SF2.
I'm over my generation's nostalgia.

I would prefer something like Prime but either works. Not paying $60 for a new 2D side-scroller, though.

Equipment wear would be easier to handle if Samus is forced to rock her space bikini when her armour breaks.

We already know what she looks like without her suit...no bikini but still...nice. ;)

latest

We already know what she looks like without her suit...no bikini but still...nice. ;)

latest
Technically, the Zero suit didn't enter the canon until Metroid: Zero Mission. It makes sense they did it with the remake of the original game. She wore a bikini through Super Metroid and wore more sporty under garments in Metroid Fusion.

They need a complete rebirth to the series, not another Prime. Prime was freaking great, it captured the mood and quirks of the original greatly. But it got old fast too, I mean it's actually kind of boring right? I struggled through Prime 2 and was done after that.

Yes, I agree, they could change the formula entirely. Starting off with no powers then upgrading to unlock new areas, is well played out.

Those of you who want a 2d Metroid: you are the reason we can't get nice things from Nintendo anymore.

would be cool to see metroid meets star fox... hell throw in kirby as the final boss, it could work!

I enjoyed Prime. Whatever they come up with, as long as it's not like Other M. Let us never speak of that game again.

I enjoyed Prime. Whatever they come up with, as long as it's not like Other M. Let us never speak of that game again.
Don't forget Federation Force. Other M and Federation Force are two concepts that we should bury in the past.

I actually really, really liked what Other M tried to do in the gameplay department. Story is debatable. I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It's on par with the standard melodrama crap that Japan loves.

Anyway, they announced the official remake of Metroid 2. My body is ready.

I actually really, really liked what Other M tried to do in the gameplay department. Story is debatable. I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It's on par with the standard melodrama crap that Japan loves.

Anyway, they announced the official remake of Metroid 2. My body is ready.
Spoiler alert: they took AM2R and added official Nintendo markings to it.

Spoiler alert: they took AM2R and added official Nintendo markings to it.

I have that too. Still AM2R I don't think is "2.5D." I think it's sprite based. Which, might actually be superior. I haven't played it yet. Might soon.

Back