Armenius

Extremely [H]
During the Xbox Series X livestream today a Silent Hill-inspired psychological horror game was revealed for the first time. The game includes a musical score by composer Akira Yamaoka, who also provided the music for the Silent Hill series. The game is also coming for PC.

Two weeks to launch, we finally get some PC footage. Unfortunately, it is a short one.

High (1440p/30 fps, high present)

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600 or AMD 3700 X
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super or AMD 5700 XT
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 50GB SSD
DirectX: 11

Ultra (2160p/30 fps, high preset)

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 or AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 8GB or RTX 3060 Ti, or AMD RX 6800 16GB

Raytracing Minimum (1080p/30 fps, medium preset)

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600 or AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB or AMD RX 6800 16GB
DirectX: 12

Raytracing Recommended (1440p/30 fpx, high preset)

GPU: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti or RTX 2080 8GB, or AMD RX 6800 16GB
DirectX: 12

Raytracing High (2160p/30 fps, high preset)

GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 or AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB

The Medium: The First 18 Minutes of Gameplay on Xbox Series X (4K)

Attachments

• 9831.jpg
    9831.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 0
Since it's on GamePass, I'm definitely gonna be playing it.
Based on what the minimum spec sheets are listing, hopefully there will be a resolution render setting or some free FPS with certain settings. RTX looks to be worthwhile, but I'm not about to play at 30fps.

Tried playing the game on Xbox Game Pass and it doesn't start. I thought the game was releasing on 1/28?

Last edited:
now that I finally got my 3080 I can buy a bunch of RTX games such as Medium, Cyberpunk 2077 etc...I built the rest of my Zen 3 system last month (need to update sig)

The fixed camera thing is probably going to take some time to get used to. I tried to go back to the old Devil May Cry games (which have the same thing) and it was driving me nuts.

It's running now. FYI, in the menu you actually have to go all the way down to the bottom and select "apply" to make settings stick. It looks like you'd just hit a button/key to apply your settings changes, but that's not the case.
Immediate first impression...were they targeting 30fps intentionally? The first scenes and the internal movies are chugging away for no apparent reason. The camera is fixed and there's nothing happening. The details don't look any better than say, Resident Evil 3, yet the FPS I'm pulling are 1/2 that. I'm not impressed so far, but it has only been a few minutes. Something tells me this one might just not be for me, though.

I keep reading that the game runs like shit even on top-end hardware.

The Medium cannot run with constant 60fps on the RTX3080, even at 1080p/High/RT Off settings

The Medium uses both Ray Tracing and DLSS, and NVIDIA has provided us with a review code for it...however, and even without any Ray Tracing effects, the game cannot run smoothly on NVIDIA’s high-end GPU, the RTX 3080

For starters, the game suffers from major stuttering issues...even though we’ve installed the game on an SSD 970 PRO NVMe M.2, we had major stutters in each and every room...these stutters are so annoying that they will undoubtedly put off a lot of PC gamers...

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...V698iYemMtJBu-kHHLSzUYgAAUpX4MENyJes_8ThvJUgw

Since the camera angles are fixed, it's not like it has to handle a bunch of effects from a variety of angles and positions. I think it was designed for 30fps and they just shoehorned 60fps support without any effort behind it. It's a lazy port, but at least it's a GamePass game. If you don't mind playing at 30fps (I'm not going to), it's probably still better than the console version.

So nobody here is playing it? With it being included in the gamepass I would have expected a lot of activity here. I am playing it just fine so far with a 2060 Super maxed out with ray tracing off and DLSS on quality at 1440p vsync on at 60 fps. It seems pretty smooth for the most part but frame pacing is not perfect.

I downloaded it last night, I just have not had the time to play it yet.

There was a pretty large update that rolled out this morning. I'm planning on trying to find acceptable settings and playing more over the weekend.

EDIT: It seems like I can run the game with details maxed (RT included) at 4K/60 via the 75% resolution render option...which is basically 1440p. I'm going to give that a go and see what happens. It's absolutely ridiculous that this game can't run at 4K/120 with those same details, though. 30fps targeting developers...ugh...

Last edited:
There was a pretty large update that rolled out this morning. I'm planning on trying to find acceptable settings and playing more over the weekend.

EDIT: It seems like I can run the game with details maxed (RT included) at 4K/60 via the 75% resolution render option...which is basically 1440p. I'm going to give that a go and see what happens. It's absolutely ridiculous that this game can't run at 4K/120 with those same details, though. 30fps targeting developers...ugh...
There is no mention of an update from the devs and its only on the MS store version so I doubt it does much of anything. Not only would there be patch notes but there would also be the update on Steam and this would be publicized. Not to mention there is likely little chance of a huge 14 gb update rolling out less than 24 hours after release. That would have been something they would have mentioned was being worked on before the game even came out as no dev team can throw together a patch that big that fast. FFS they barely had time for any feedback and these devs are known to be pretty slow about fixing issues. There is still stuttering and a couple game breaking bugs in The Observer Redux.

EDIT: Well apparently it makes performance even worse for the guy over on dsogaming. Funny he mentions the update on Steam yet no one on the Steam forums has even gotten the update at the time I am typing this.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-...-completely-destroys-its-in-game-performance/

Last edited:
It's a 30fps game. Sadly, simple as that. I was trying to hit a steady 60fps, but it's up and down and the cutscenes have graphical glitches when you try. They just half-ass implemented 60fps for now. 30fps is pretty easy to hit hardware-wise, and it's steady, though. If you're going to play it - go for that. As a game, it's very much like the point and click PC adventure games of the 90's or like a rudimentary take on Heavy Rain, Detroit, etc.
The lighting effects are "interesting." They look nice as light coming in through the corner of a window and such. But when objects are in direct light they look washed out and too bright. When there isn't direct light, they look too dark. I played it for about 20 minutes and simply wasn't impressed.
Graphically, there's simply no reason the game should run like this. I'm playing The Last of Us 2 right now and it flat-out looks better (in spite of no RT) and you control the camera to boot. I'm just going to leave this game alone and see if they bother to do anything serious with it to make 60fps more feasible.

LOL, apparently one reason things look either too bright or too dark is because HDR is straight-up broken for the PC right now. It works fine on the Xbox, though.
Yeah, I'm definitely bailing on this game for a while.

If you have Steam the game is defaulting to DX11 mode. If you launch the game through a shortcut it is always going to start in DX11 mode. I don't know if there is a command line switch to change that. Starting the game gives you the option to start in DX12.

First time I've seen single digits on my PC at 4K trying to see what ultra ray tracing looks like. I honestly don't see the difference between it and normal. On normal the game is running at a pretty smooth 50 FPS with medium DLSS, but there are definitely frame pacing issues with the frame rate unlocked. The game is "smooth" at 30 FPS in the sense that there is no hitching. HDR is definitely broken and there are no options to calibrate the brightness settings. If I set the gamma by the picture it gives you everything becomes way too dark.

As to the game itself I am liking it so far. Definitely play with headphones if you have the option.

It went into the single digits a few times using a 2060 Super at 1440p. I just laughed and I really wasn't planning on using ray tracing anyway but just wanted to see how bad it was.

The 14 gig update people are talking about was for gamepass users only ( my guess is texture downgrade as what else would = 14 gigs O,O)
As for Steam version, starting the game from desktop icon = dx11. starting from inside steam menu give you the option of dx11 or 12

Steam version
with a 10900K and a 2080ti on a 32'' 2k monitor i'm running between 55-75 during split screen gameplay in dx11 with default game settings.
I think it runs just fine, if the RTX setting had more of a impact on the looks of the game I would run it in dx12 with rtx but for now
rtx gives no wow factor "imo".

The graphics on this game are subpar at best so poor PC performance is probably being caused by a bad port.

The graphics on this game are subpar at best so poor PC performance is probably being caused by a bad port.
Nothing new here, no big outcry against it like we all saw when cyberpunk was being flamed because it was a bad port to console since it was designed for PC.

Relatively short game with some gimmicky mechanics.
The ending is a lame cop-out.

RTX effects don't look good?
I was playing around with the different graphic settings and I honestly could not tell a difference between any of them besides the shadow resolution. I would like to see a deeper dive into the different settings to know for sure.

Relatively short game with some gimmicky mechanics.
The ending is a lame cop-out.
Well, you just killed my desire to drop 7 hours into this. Not impressed do far, and quite frankly it is boring. Just got upstairs at the hotel. Graphics are meh. Animations are meh. But it find well on the 6900 XT at 4K with everything turned on.

Well, you just killed my desire to drop 7 hours into this. Not impressed do far, and quite frankly it is boring. Just got upstairs at the hotel. Graphics are meh. Animations are meh. But it find well on the 6900 XT at 4K with everything turned on.
I did not realize there was DX12 option in the startup, so I've played the whole game without any RTX on. I had nothing else to do and the game was free on game pass, so I've finished it. I do not regret spending ~8 hours, but I guess there were much better alternatives.

I did not realize there was DX12 option in the startup, so I've played the whole game without any RTX on. I had nothing else to do and the game was free on game pass, so I've finished it. I do not regret spending ~8 hours, but I guess there were much better alternatives.
I actually re-upped Game Pass again for this game. :(

I put about 45 minutes into it before uninstalling. Maybe it's because I've just started playing Control recently but The Medium didn't grab me and didn't seem worth putting any time into at all.

Back