• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The "Maw Maw" build

Omegas

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
12,091
So I've received the green light from my mother-in-law to build a computer for my wifes "Maw Maw" ie. Grandmother. Now this is a woman who had a 1985 Buick Caprice in almost mint shape up until 05' when it was stolen from her. Now she did not want a new car, she wanted the old one back. Also she somehow has not killed her Duron powered Packard Bell with original monitor and keyboard, although I did replace the PSU last year. So my main point for the most part of this build is longevity as this maybe the last computer she ever gets, and I seriously doubt this woman is leaving us anytime soon.


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
No Internet right this second but good chance to change, Printing Letters/Labels, Non-Graphically challenged games.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700, Yes

3) Where do you live?
Baton Rouge, LA (no-Fry's, Microcenter)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
KB/Mouse, Case, PSU, RAM, MB, HD, DVD-Rom, CPU, VidCard (prob On-Board), Monitor, Speakers, Printer

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Space available on desk is 19"H x 21"W

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Over the couple weeks, Month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Very Basic, could Prob go ITX even. (hmm...)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Win7 32 or 64, MS Office (have to check version)


Now a pre-built system may be an option, or may even be the best thing to do just because this will be a low-end build.
 
Last edited:
Things I've ordered already
G15 Rev2 - $35 from NE after MIR -- Wifes suggestion for the WTF factor, plus the it is an all-around good backlit keyboard.



Things I'm considering
HP Photosmart All-in-One
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LOL @ the keyboard.

I recommend this monitor:
$110 - Hanns·G HW-191APB Black 19" DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
 
not bad, esp with the built in speakers. A def plus

Both me and the wife run the original G15 and when the saw the Rev2 for $35, she said I just had to order it. Certain things you don't argue with.
 
I was thinking maybe either old schoolish 21" 4x3 with a 1280x1024, or a 720p. Either way, I"m sure I'll end up max sizing Icons/Fonts in Win to help out. But def open to options esp on the monitor.
 
Now this is interesting if I do end up building
Antec ITX combo

BTW, I do have a spare AM2 proc this is not being used that I didn't include. My media center is AM2+ based and I have both a 9850BE and a BE2400. Right now my BE2400 is in there, but I could go with the 9850BE and just Underclock/Volt it and use the BE2400 in this build.
 
actually the be2400 is one of the very few dual cores that can run in the power range without underclocking, which I'm not sure that board can do.
 
actually the be2400 is one of the very few dual cores that can run in the power range without underclocking, which I'm not sure that board can do.

I was talking about CPUs that were actually being sold still. The BE-2400 would work but they're no longer being sold anywhere reputable. The Sempron 140 is the only 45W AMD CPU that I know of that's still being sold.

Besides, $15 gets you twice the amount of power so no real reason to get the 65W version.
 
Ah, wasn't looking to buy a be2400, just using the one I have. But you bring up a good point, if it dies, I'd play hell replacing it.
 
Back
Top