The Lords of the Fallen

It runs very smoothly for me and no crashes. My settings: 4K HDR, 100% Resolution Scale, Ultra quality, VSync off, DLSS Quality with no sharpening, frame generation on, 120 FPS limit (117 in nvcp). Using latest Nvidia driver, W11 Pro with all official updates.

Having fun with it so far. I wasn't able to kill the first boss yet, but if it weren't for one mispress I think I would have had her. I think I wasted too much time with attempts and trying different strategies when it would have been better spent leveling up and exploring more. I started doing that before taking a break.

Next session I'm going to hunt for secrets while I level up a little more and then make more attempts on the boss. I might just seek multiplayer help if I'm feeling impatient. The game has some pretty cool concepts and UE5 feels pretty amazing to me so far.

I'm rocking the same settings as t1k. The game crashed on me immediately after creating my character (it slowed down to like 2fps and then crashed 3-4 seconds later), but has been fine ever since.
The graphics are definitely a step beyond the other games in this genre. It reminds me of playing Dark Souls 3 for the first time as a comparison for the graphical jump up vs. prior games. The main difference is just how detailed everything is. Nothing is plain or untouched - every object seems to have some nuance to it.
Gameplay feels snappy even with frame gen on.
I won't have time to actually sit down and play until tomorrow, but the 10 minutes I spent with it were positive.

I'm rocking the same settings as t1k. The game crashed on me immediately after creating my character (it slowed down to like 2fps and then crashed 3-4 seconds later), but has been fine ever since.
The graphics are definitely a step beyond the other games in this genre. It reminds me of playing Dark Souls 3 for the first time as a comparison for the graphical jump up vs. prior games. The main difference is just how detailed everything is. Nothing is plain or untouched - every object seems to have some nuance to it.
I won't have time to actually sit down and play until tomorrow, but the 10 minutes I spent with it were positive.
Visually, it reminds me a lot of Dark Souls 3 (which is still a good looking game). I don't mean exact-----but I think we are on the same page.

I wonder if it's possible the crash was related to the preorder/deluxe content. The first time I started the game the extra content didn't show up anywhere, which I thought was strange. So I configured settings and then exited to see if there was any small download left. I wanted to make sure everything was loaded properly before starting a playthrough. I gave things a little time, and the next time I started the game I got a bunch of popup messages about the extra content and a new menu item. And it was smooth sailing.

I wonder if it's possible the crash was related to the preorder/deluxe content. The first time I started the game the extra content didn't show up anywhere, which I thought was strange. So I configured settings and then exited to see if there was any small download left. I wanted to make sure everything was loaded properly before starting a playthrough. I gave things a little time, and the next time I started the game I got a bunch of popup messages about the extra content and a new menu item. And it was smooth sailing.
There's definitely some crashing problems (to be expected for a new release) but most people are having trouble with stutter rather than CTDs.

Finally downed Pieta...added fire salts to my sword and voila first attempt with them.

Funnily enough we both dropped to the ground dead at about the same time, but it still gave me the cutscene. It wasn't the cleanest kill to say the least, but I'll take it. Hilarious first souls boss kill really. I'm going to remember that one 😄

I played it for a total of 8 hours lol. I like it. Took me a LOT of tries to kill the first boss (like an hour) but I had no crashes. I am getting like 80+ FPS on my rig with a couple of settings at ultra but most are high and medium with a resolution scale of about 65%. I am really liking it so far. I went with a ranger character instead of a caster which is unusual for me. I just didn't like either caster option (pyromancer or cleric), so I went with a fast AGI build with some range option.

I beat Pieta by parrying her. I was surprised I actually won even if it took more than a few tries. Either I was in the zone at the time or it's just a bigger parry window than I am use to because I have never succeeded beating a boss that you could parry in the Souls games by parrying as much as I did. Kind of wish I had recorded it cause I was shocked. :) That said, I didn't parry any kicks but the patch notes of what changed when the game auto patched after I closed the game kind of make me sad. I didn't even know you could parry kicks, but now I know and it's gone so I can't try it. Oh well.

A new patch just came in:

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/12438768/

They deactivated FrameGen temporarily because of crashes. Lol, I never had one in the past 8 hours with FG.

But the game feels smoother now, clearly less microstuttering while panning the camera in the main hub (Skyrest). My C2 OLED tends to show more VRR-flickering (a part of panel lottery) when frametimes are inconsistent and the flickering is basically non existing anymore while running around the hub. Also the frametime graph looks more stable now without capping FPS.

Edit: Yep, improved alot. With RTSS and capping frames, basically a flat frametime graph everywhere I tested so far. I'm really happy, now give us FG back lol :D

Last edited:
I thought UE5 was supposed to cure all the issues with UE4?
Not all, but many. The issue is some devs are going overboard with their shaders (material complexity) - made worse in areas with dynamic lighting. It's like attaching a 2-ton trailer to a lamborghini - it will work but it's not ideal conditions.

A new patch just came in:

https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/12438768/

They deactivated FrameGen temporarily because of crashes. Lol, I never had one in the past 8 hours with FG.

But the game feels smoother now, clearly less microstuttering while panning the camera in the main hub (Skyrest). My C2 OLED tends to show more VRR-flickering (a part of panel lottery) when frametimes are inconsistent and the flickering is basically non existing anymore while running around the hub. Also the frametime graph looks more stable now without capping FPS.

Edit: Yep, improved alot. With RTSS and capping frames, basically a flat frametime graph everywhere I tested so far. I'm really happy, now give us FG back lol :D
Performance is still trash, I bought the game a few hours ago. Not sure if the video will show it but the game even stutters when RTSS says it's smooth frametimes. Using RTSS capped at 59 (to keep performance consistent), High Settings, DLAA, latest Nvidia drivers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRTWSfdz2w
says 40mins left on processing so it will probably be 360p awhile

Performance is still trash, I bought the game a few hours ago. Not sure if the video will show it but the game even stutters when RTSS says it's smooth frametimes.

Sorry to hear that. It runs very smooth on my rig. Nice video, crazy skills.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. It runs very smooth on my rig.
Have you changed anything other than RTSS to improve performance?

Currently I've tried:
  • DDU Drivers
  • Installed Latest Drivers
  • In game V-sync
  • DLSS Quality/Balanced/Performance
  • Medium Settings (no change from High)
  • Verified Integrity of Game Files (suggested by devs)
  • Deleted Shader Cache (suggested by devs)
  • HAGS on/off
  • RTSS @ 116 (at 120hz) / 59 @ 60Hz
  • NVCP @ 116 (at 120hz) / 59 @ 60Hz
  • NVCP V-Sync
The game has stutter every 5-10 seconds even after being in the areas awhile, I don't think it is shader compilation stutter. Something seems to just be wrong with the game on my rig.
Also has has stutter that isn't picked up by RTSS frametime graph, I almost thought it was because V-Sync was disabled, but I enabled it and it persisted. (G-Sync display)

I'm about to shelve the game until it's fixed but if you have any suggestions I might test them out and see if it fixes it for me.

Nice video, crazy skills.
Thanks, I pretty much only play action-rpgs so skill pretty much just transfers over into the next game.

Last edited:
Turning off Nvidia Reflex seems to get rid of a lot of stutter but system latency goes by a noticeable amount (25ms-30ms). There is still some stutter with it off but it's actually a lot better, I just hate making that latency trade.

According to the game's graphics settings actually:

Reflection quality - "Reflection quality determines the resolution and accuracy of reflections. Settings of 'High' and above use more accurate ray tracing methods to solve reflections, but can reduce performance."
Global illumination quality - "Global illumination controls the quality of dynamically calculated indirect lighting bounces, sky shadowing and ambient occlusion. Settings of High and above use more accurate ray tracing methods to solve lighting, but can reduce performance."

Those two items in the graphics menu are the only places I see it mentioned in the settings.

Another patch just dropped, but no patch notes, so I'm assuming it's a patch for the patch, maybe this time stutter will improve more.

Reflection quality - "Reflection quality determines the resolution and accuracy of reflections. Settings of 'High' and above use more accurate ray tracing methods to solve reflections, but can reduce performance."
Global illumination quality - "Global illumination controls the quality of dynamically calculated indirect lighting bounces, sky shadowing and ambient occlusion. Settings of High and above use more accurate ray tracing methods to solve lighting, but can reduce performance."

Those two items in the graphics menu are the only places I see it mentioned in the settings.
This is correct, I just checked myself. I just assumed it didn't have RT because it's not very demanding.

I think Lumen is the ray tracing they are referring to...UE5's Lumen is sort of a lesser version of hardware ray tracing

Reactions: t1k
like this
Have you changed anything other than RTSS to improve performance?

No, that was all. I'm playing with DLDSR @ 5120*2880 + DLSS quality and RTSS set to 70fps. Are you seeing big stuttering every 5-10sec?

Turning off Nvidia Reflex seems to get rid of a lot of stutter but system latency goes by a noticeable amount (25ms-30ms). There is still some stutter with it off but it's actually a lot better, I just hate making that latency trade.

Ingame it shows reflex is on but greyed out for me.

No, that was all. I'm playing with DLDSR @ 5120*2880 + DLSS quality and RTSS set to 70fps. Are you seeing big stuttering every 5-10sec?

Ingame it shows reflex is on but greyed out for me.
To unlock Reflex you have to go to the config and disable the frame generation variable.

1697326605790.png

Edit: Yes my stutter was every 5-10 seconds, but I also had strange stutter that wouldn't show up in RTSS, but I think it went away after disabling Reflex.

Last edited:
what you guys are describing is exactly like how if was for me when I played through Darksiders 3 (ue4.something). Though most likely DSiders3 is way worse. I managed to get it running a bit better by setting my minimum core clock to ~2700 something Mhz (6900xt). It's still felt like crap but I just put up with it. Unsmooth doesn't even describe it...about as smooth as sandpaper.

Doesn't LotF do a pre-compiling thingy? LoP does it every time you launch the game, and it literally takes like five seconds.

what you guys are describing is exactly like how if was for me when I played through Darksiders 3 (ue4.something). Though most likely DSiders3 is way worse. I managed to get it running a bit better by setting my minimum core clock to ~2700 something Mhz (6900xt). It's still felt like crap but I just put up with it. Unsmooth doesn't even describe it...about as smooth as sandpaper.

Doesn't LotF do a pre-compiling thingy? LoP does it every time you launch the game, and it literally takes like five seconds.
Lies of P was one of the few games in the past 10 years that was in excellent shape at launch, I played it for 100 hours and don't remember seeing any bugs or performance issues, amazing game.

Lords of the Fallen does do Shader Pre-compilation at game launch. I don't think the stutters are shader compilation related since they happen frequently in areas you've been in plenty of times and it doesn't happen when new effects pop up.

I have largely resolved my stutter issues, there's still occasional stutter, but it's a lot less likely to mess my inputs, I'll post my settings incase they might help someone else:
- Frame limit with RTSS
- NVCP: V-Sync: On
- Frame Generation: Off (currently have to do it in GameUserSettings.ini
- Launch Game: Game Bar > Settings > check off "Remember this is a Game" > Relaunch Game
- Window Mode: Fullscreen
- Nvidia Reflex: Off
- In-game V-Sync: Off

I think the remaining stutter could be asset streaming or online connectivity related. Enjoying the game now though, hopefully Hexworks and Epic figure it out.

Reactions: horse
like this
Lies of P was one of the few games in the past 10 years that was in excellent shape at launch, I played it for 100 hours and don't remember seeing any bugs or performance issues, amazing game.

Lords of the Fallen does do Shader Pre-compilation at game launch. I don't think the stutters are shader compilation related since they happen frequently in areas you've been in plenty of times and it doesn't happen when new effects pop up.

I have largely resolved my stutter issues, there's still occasional stutter, but it's a lot less likely to mess my inputs, I'll post my settings incase they might help someone else:
- Frame limit with RTSS
- NVCP: V-Sync: On
- Frame Generation: Off (currently have to do it in GameUserSettings.ini
- Launch Game: Game Bar > Settings > check off "Remember this is a Game" > Relaunch Game
- Window Mode: Fullscreen
- Nvidia Reflex: Off
- In-game V-Sync: Off

I think the remaining stutter could be asset streaming or online connectivity related. Enjoying the game now though, hopefully Hexworks and Epic figure it out.

What motherboard are you using just curious are you using DDR5 dual channel?

Ok thanks I'm switching to DDR5 in a few days and a different ASUS Tuf motherboard. I'm wondering if it's a smart or dumb move to upgrade or not.

I've had a few games that had stutter issues that didn't seem to show up on any charts and graphs, but you couldn't help but see them. In more than one case, the solution was to use Nvidia Profile Inspector and edit the rBar settings. You turn the rBAR Feature to enabled, rBAR Options to 0x00000001, and rBAR size limit to 0x0000000040000000.
I learned about the program (and those settings) in the Steam forums of all places.

I've had a few games that had stutter issues that didn't seem to show up on any charts and graphs, but you couldn't help but see them. In more than one case, the solution was to use Nvidia Profile Inspector and edit the rBar settings. You turn the rBAR Feature to enabled, rBAR Options to 0x00000001, and rBAR size limit to 0x0000000040000000.
I learned about the program (and those settings) in the Steam forums of all places.
Yea I've seen that help as well but it's enabled by default on the latest driver.

They really need to do something about the crashing. Forsaken Fen has been a super unstable area for me. I crashed numerous times just exploring and once in the middle of a boss fight. Still greatly enjoying the game but this is putting a damper on things.

They really need to do something about the crashing. Forsaken Fen has been a super unstable area for me. I crashed numerous times just exploring and once in the middle of a boss fight. Still greatly enjoying the game but this is putting a damper on things.

Very weird. Nearly 30hours in and not a single crash for me, except one in the very beginning after the opening cutscene.

This game is AWESOME. It's pretty much Dark Souls 4. The most souls-like of any souls-like out there.

Pieta was such a cool first boss. Reminded me very much of Malenia, thankfully without the waterfowl dance.

I hope it keeps up this early game quality throughout.

Have you played Lies of P? Was just wondering how the difficulty was compared to it.

Traversal stutter seems to have been fixed over the past few days. Did a run through an area that had a decent amount of traversal stutter, it used to stutter consistently at every ladder. It's early game, so it doesn't spoil much. If you want to avoid spoilers this is the 3rd or 4th bonfire in the game (IIRC) Pilgrims Perch. There is still some stutter when transitioning from Axiom to Umbrel and vise versa.

Settings used 4K Native - Ultra Settings (other than I used HIgh on the RT Settings for consistency). Processing will take awhile.

View: https://youtu.be/7ZM1Kvu5h4w

^cool that it's running better now. But is it me or does this game not really look that great? Seems to be a poor showing for an ue5 title, no? The bullshots they show on the store page look nothing like what I've seen of ingame footage. I'm far from a graphics snob but damn was kinda expecting a little more.

Idk, I'm not entirely sold on this myself and there still seems to be a lot of division among the playerbase, though it does have significantly more positive reviews now. This might very well be a wait for sale game for me, In the meantime I got ng+ modes to go through in LoP.

Back