• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The iPad 2

Still too much money. Once these tablet computers come down to a $200 - $300 price range, then I'll get one. Otherwise I have a Dell Vostro V13 that does more for less, it just doesn't have as good a battery life.
 
I'm in for 1. Gonna buy it for my parents so they can facetime with me while I'm away :D
 
I'm buying one exclusively for running Tab Toolkit. Attaching it to my microphone stand and then I can practice without having to shuffle sheet music.

Oh, the other stuff you can do with it becomes a bonus.

I don't understand the hate. It seems to exist in epic proportions here. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy this. What am I missing?

Because it's existence is driving down quality as competitors stoop to their level. And the app store model is straight up evil, if people keep accepting it sooner or later it will become a standard(if it's not already).

Both of these effect me even if I don't own one.
 
I never hated MS to the level some Linux nerds do/did. But I certainly now understand it at a higher level than I ever did before.
 
Because it's existence is driving down quality as competitors stoop to their level. And the app store model is straight up evil, if people keep accepting it sooner or later it will become a standard(if it's not already).

Both of these effect me even if I don't own one.

Point me to a true competitor at this point. In terms of accessibility, usability and apps. Also, something that "just works" -- this is what the iPad excels at. It's been a year now and any viable option to the iPad is still vaporware.
 
On the subject of the Motorola Xoom, I would buy one, if I didn't have to give Verizon any money just to use a feature that has nothing to do with them.

You don't have to pay verizon if you don't want, just buy it off contract, no activation required.
 
Pretty sure you missed my point. Presently, I could care less if any "competitor" is better or worse than Apple and the iPad. I am pissed they are trying to do what the iPad does(which is garbage) and nothing else. Whether they succeed at that lowly goal is irrelevant to me.

What matters to me is that good alternatives will not come out as long as companies are focusing on creating products based on a horrible trend Apple created out of their marketing department. Put even more simply, even if say Motorola puts another tablet out there that does everything the iPad does, is faster and is far cheaper. I don't care, because the iPad is shit and so is any clone.
 
Pretty sure you missed my point. Presently, I could care less if any "competitor" is better or worse than Apple and the iPad. I am pissed they are trying to do what the iPad does(which is garbage) and nothing else. Whether they succeed at that lowly goal is irrelevant to me.

What matters to me is that good alternatives will not come out as long as companies are focusing on creating products based on a horrible trend Apple created out of their marketing department. Put even more simply, even if say Motorola puts another tablet out there that does everything the iPad does, is faster and is far cheaper. I don't care, because the iPad is shit and so is any clone.

The tablet market was pretty much dead before last year. Tablets failed, hard. They were generally pretty horrible. Blame Microsoft for the current tablet market, they're the ones that royally fucked up and killed a potentially interesting market.
 
Never had a problem with the iPod. I've owned 3 of them.

A tablet machine should be basically a flexible and even more mobile laptop. The second the iPad was released that expectation was put through the shredder. Tablet now means "trendy toy" and that's all it will mean as long as Apple says so.
 
Presently, I could care less if any "competitor" is better or worse than Apple and the iPad. I am pissed they are trying to do what the iPad does (which is garbage) and nothing else.
Plenty of companies are releasing Windows-powered tablets/slates. If you want something completely unlike an iPad, get one of those. If you want something like an iPad, get an iPad or a Honeycomb tablet, or wait for HP to do a WebOS tablet of some sort.

I don't see the problem. You're bitching about hardware manufacturers and software developers giving you options.
 
The tablet market was pretty much dead before last year. Tablets failed, hard. They were generally pretty horrible. Blame Microsoft for the current tablet market, they're the ones that royally fucked up and killed a potentially interesting market.


Totally agree, but that didn't mean it was posed to stray that way. Better screens, more powerful and less power consuming hardware, the "cloud" picking up steam, wireless technologies. It could be done correct this time.
 
Plenty of companies are releasing Windows-powered tablets/slates. If you want something completely unlike an iPad, get one of those. If you want something like an iPad, get an iPad or a Honeycomb tablet, or wait for HP to do a WebOS tablet of some sort.

I don't see the problem. You're bitching about hardware manufacturers and software developers giving you options.

Hey if the HP WebOS tablet comes out and I like it I'll be all over it and I'll just shun Apple. But I will be shocked if it's much different than iPad or Honecomb.
 
As for Windows powered, they still need a lot of work and they may have gotten it if the iPad generation didn't take off.
 
Pretty sure you missed my point. Presently, I could care less if any "competitor" is better or worse than Apple and the iPad. I am pissed they are trying to do what the iPad does(which is garbage) and nothing else. Whether they succeed at that lowly goal is irrelevant to me.

wait... so you're mad that Apple created something that there was a HUGE demand for and now their competition is scrambling to try and play catch up and create a similar device? Seriously? Did you have the same opinion when companies were migrating away from mainframes? I couldn't imagine the rage you felt when the first laptop was launched :D

While you may feel that tablets are garbage, there are 15 million new ipad tablet owners alone (not to mention competitors) in 2010 that disagree with you. Like it or not, I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.
 
There was a huge demand for anything they made with their logo stamped on it. I'm mad they decided to shit in a box.
 
Totally agree, but that didn't mean it was posed to stray that way. Better screens, more powerful and less power consuming hardware, the "cloud" picking up steam, wireless technologies. It could be done correct this time.

Win8 ARM might see something like that happening again. Right now there really isn't a tablet OS that can do that. The apps simply aren't there for Win7 tablets yet, but it sounds like MS is going to push tablet computing with Win8. The current tablet market is just a year old, its young and new and everyone wants to copy the leader. As with any growing market diversity comes in time. There just needs to be something big to push companies to diversify. Right now there isn't much.
 
I read something on computerworld.com that blew my mind.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9212998/What_you_need_to_know_about_the_iPad_2

How much RAM is in the iPad 2?
As with previous iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch models, Apple doesn't publish nitty-gritty specs such as memory amounts.

Another one from the Apple store:

iPad (1st gen) with WiFi - 64Gb - $599
iPad2 with WiFi - 64Gb - $699

$100 off. How... generous. :rolleyes:

I have said it a million times, if you are going to plop down the cash for an e-book reader or similar device, don't waste your money....just get an iPad.

I read a lot and would rather shell out for an eInk reader or read hard copy since it's much less strain on the eyes.
 
I read something on computerworld.com that blew my mind.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9212998/What_you_need_to_know_about_the_iPad_2

How much RAM is in the iPad 2?
As with previous iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch models, Apple doesn't publish nitty-gritty specs such as memory amounts.

Another one from the Apple store:

iPad (1st gen) with WiFi - 64Gb - $599
iPad2 with WiFi - 64Gb - $699

$100 off. How... generous. :rolleyes:



I read a lot and would rather shell out for an eInk reader or read hard copy since it's much less strain on the eyes.

Apple never releases specs like RAM or CPU speed. You pretty much have to wait until someone tears it down to find out.

Apple dropped prices on the 1st gen iPads by $100. That would be why the iPad 2 is $100 more expensive.
 
As for Windows powered, they still need a lot of work and they may have gotten it if the iPad generation didn't take off.
Because a 10 year head-start wasn't good enough? These things have been available for ten years. What in your mind would have changed if the iPad hadn't been released a year ago?
 
Apple never releases specs like RAM or CPU speed. You pretty much have to wait until someone tears it down to find out.

Apple dropped prices on the 1st gen iPads by $100. That would be why the iPad 2 is $100 more expensive.

They're free with the "nine times faster graphics" hype (true or not) but can't release actual specs? Really?

And I get that the iPads are discounted--I'm saying it's a shitty discount, but it probably makes sense since the specs are similar enough that a deeper discount would lead people to buy the old iPads instead of the shiny new, two camera model.
 
Because a 10 year head-start wasn't good enough? These things have been available for ten years. What in your mind would have changed if the iPad hadn't been released a year ago?

Yep, the ipad is the only reason we're talking about tablets now.
 
They're free with the "nine times faster graphics" hype (true or not) but can't release actual specs? Really?

And I get that the iPads are discounted--I'm saying it's a shitty discount, but it probably makes sense since the specs are similar enough that a deeper discount would lead people to buy the old iPads instead of the shiny new, two camera model.

Really. Apple has never been big on releasing specs on these kinds of devices. They keep a lot of it hidden. Since they own a chip design company its pretty easy for them to do so too.
 
Really. Apple has never been big on releasing specs on these kinds of devices. They keep a lot of it hidden. Since they own a chip design company its pretty easy for them to do so too.

Does it really matter if they release specs? The applications will be built to perform on the hardware regardless of how much memory is in it. Don't get me wrong, the extra memory would be great, but in the end it really wouldn't matter as long as the user has a smooth experience.

Think of it this way... would it really matter if Microsoft doubled the RAM in an Xbox 360 if developers still have to abide to the standards of the original 360?
 
Really. Apple has never been big on releasing specs on these kinds of devices. They keep a lot of it hidden. Since they own a chip design company its pretty easy for them to do so too.

It's because they aren't selling specs, they're selling an experience. People just don't seem to get that, and that's why Apple owns 90% of the market and will probably continue to do so for quite some time until other companies pull their heads out of their asses.

The original ios on the original iphone is smoother than any android device could ever hope to be, and that's damn sad.
 
Does it really matter if they release specs? The applications will be built to perform on the hardware regardless of how much memory is in it. Don't get me wrong, the extra memory would be great, but in the end it really wouldn't matter as long as the user has a smooth experience.

Think of it this way... would it really matter if Microsoft doubled the RAM in an Xbox 360 if developers still have to abide to the standards of the original 360?

Developers don't have to abide by the original specs though. Sure it would be dumb to shut out 15 million sales, but there is no requirement for it especially later once a lot of people have iPad 2s. It would suck for people like me who have no intention of upgrading, but I'm guessing by the end of the year we'll be seeing some iPad 2 specific applications and games designed to take advantaged of the device.
 
Yep, the ipad is the only reason we're talking about tablets now.

I agree. Which is why I'm pissed they set things back instead of forward.

I was quite looking forward to the iPad when it was still an unnamed rumor, because Apple could reinvigorate the market segment and I was hoping for vastly customized OSX based system.

When it was announced and demod, well that left me the bitter husk you see now. Then it turns out that I was spot on with how it would alter the industry, but unfortunately the product was crap and thus the industry is now churning out crap.
 
As for Windows powered, they still need a lot of work and they may have gotten it if the iPad generation didn't take off.

It depends on what you need and are looking for. Windows slates are not good entertainment slates but the better ones are exceptional at productive tasks compared to this generation of mobile OS devices.
 
I agree. Which is why I'm pissed they set things back instead of forward.

I disagree, the iPad is definitely moving things forward. A device like the EP121 probably would have never come out at the price point it did. $1k I know is a lot for most of you for a tablet but devices like the EP121 EASILY cost twice as much last year. And the iPad has put fire in Microsoft's belly, they HAVE to respond with a compelling effort or risk being in a LOT of trouble.
 
I agree. Which is why I'm pissed they set things back instead of forward.

I was quite looking forward to the iPad when it was still an unnamed rumor, because Apple could reinvigorate the market segment and I was hoping for vastly customized OSX based system.

When it was announced and demod, well that left me the bitter husk you see now. Then it turns out that I was spot on with how it would alter the industry, but unfortunately the product was crap and thus the industry is now churning out crap.

I think most "techies" feel this way, originally I was disappointed that the iPad was running iOS rather than OSX. The problem is that techies are a niche market. The fact is that Apple is in the business of selling products not necessarily getting into pissing contests when it comes to specs. Whenever they do get into pissing contests, they refer to sales numbers rather than specs. Mainstream devices are the lifeblood of companies such as ATI, Nvidia etc and it's no different for Apple. The days of pushing specs is dying because, quite frankly, the average user doesn't need the type of computing power that most of us here desire. Hell, an argument can be made that most of us don't need it, but we're different from the average consumer.
 
For the love of all that is holy can we please get USB ports from someone. How can a tablet replace my "Dead PC" yet it'll never ever be able to support the 7 USB ports I use, let alone just 2.
 
For the love of all that is holy can we please get USB ports from someone. How can a tablet replace my "Dead PC" yet it'll never ever be able to support the 7 USB ports I use, let alone just 2.

If they did that, they can't milk you for docks and specialized keyboards.
 
I was quite looking forward to the iPad when it was still an unnamed rumor, because Apple could reinvigorate the market segment and I was hoping for vastly customized OSX based system. When it was announced and demod, well that left me the bitter husk you see now.
You don't think I was in the same exact boat as you were when the iPad was announced? In the announcement thread here, my first post was something along the lines of "Are they kidding?". Then I started to understand the way it worked. Watched the videos, read reports from people who used it, and I started to understand it a little bit. Thought it was too expensive to buy, so I initially passed on it, but I eventually got one as a gift.

Played with it, liked it overall, but still wasn't entirely bowled over with it. Still, I kept using it, and it got better. After that, everything about it made sense to me. You might have to spend 20 hours of your life trying to understand what its purpose is, but eventually it clicks, and everything that comes after that is just 'nice'. It still has problems, and you occasionally hit walls with it, but that's why you have your desktop or your laptop. It doesn't replace either and supplements the ways you do things and sometimes complements them in interesting ways.

On the subject of OS X, it just isn't built for touch. If you don't like Windows on a touchscreen device, you sure as shit wouldn't like OS X on one. They would have to radically overhaul the entire interface to get anywhere near the level of simplicity as iOS has (which probably isn't even theoretically possible), so they just used iOS. What seemed ridiculous when it was first revealed now seems like one of the better decisions Apple's made in the past decade or so.
 
They're free with the "nine times faster graphics" hype (true or not) but can't release actual specs? Really?

They don't release specs because most people (not all) that buy them are stupid and don't give a fuck about specs.
 
You might have to spend 20 hours of your life trying to understand what its purpose is, but eventually it clicks, and everything that comes after that is just 'nice'.

No offense, but that sounds a lot like rationalization to justify spending $500 bucks on what is essentially a crappier netbook.
 
No offense, but that sounds a lot like rationalization to justify spending $500 bucks on what is essentially a crappier netbook.
Read my post. I didn't spend anything on my iPad, thus I had nothing to "rationalize".
 
Really. Apple has never been big on releasing specs on these kinds of devices. They keep a lot of it hidden. Since they own a chip design company its pretty easy for them to do so too.

What chip design company do they own? The A4 was built by Samsung and contains the same hummingbird core as the Galaxy S, just paired with a much slower GPU for whatever reason.
 
What chip design company do they own? The A4 was built by Samsung and contains the same hummingbird core as the Galaxy S, just paired with a much slower GPU for whatever reason.

They own the IP for the chip but don't make them.
 
Back
Top