The iPad 2

Had an iPad for 6 months now...love it. So much easier to surf when sat on the couch, watch movies on the plane. Waiting for iPad 3 though

What people here forget is that most people do not care about overclocking, modding, rooting, hacking, etc. a consumer product. This is what the desktop is for. Everything else is a waste of time.

I get that the majority here like to mess with things and change things around. Still, take 10 seconds and think about what this is: A consumer device for everyday people to do simple tasks, and have a little entertainment. That is what the iPad is aimed at. And may I say that Steve Jobs and Apple do a damn good job of producing a great product.

While some people are wasting hours on end trying to root some faceless Android/Win7 device I will use my stuff for what it is intended for: To check my email, play games, and to read ebooks.

If I want to mod something, I will stick to my desktops where there is actually a REASON to do that.

Hey, you want to rip Apple for their desktops fine. I know I do, because making me buy a server component motherboard, when I need a simple single processor desktop is a joke. Rip them for not allowing upgradeability in their laptops fine, though I love mine, and the ergonomics are worth it TO ME (to me being the keyword and I have done every mod known to God on laptops going all the way back to doing the pinmods on the first gen intel processors pre-yonah). Apple has this down. Their consumer products for ergonomics, ease of use, program support, and design are untouchable. Steve Jobs may be an ass to some, but he is a pretty damn smart and innovative ass as far as I can tell

They can't replace a laptop for someone doing serious graphics/video/sound editing. However they certainly can replace what most people are using laptops for: Word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, internet, video/audio playback, etc.
There's definitely a niche for a simple device that can handle most everyday computing tasks...and the iPad does a lot of those things in a small, ultra-portable, package.
It's definitely not the exact item I want, and I think iTunes is arguably the worst program of all time, but I like the iPad.
As a travel companion and basic computer it's a nice item when I don't want to drag around a heavy/big/hot/power hungry i5 laptop around or use a tiny screen on my mobile phone.

What people here forget is that most people do not care about overclocking, modding, rooting, hacking, etc. a consumer product. This is what the desktop is for. Everything else is a waste of time.

I get that the majority here like to mess with things and change things around. Still, take 10 seconds and think about what this is: A consumer device for everyday people to do simple tasks, and have a little entertainment. That is what the iPad is aimed at. And may I say that Steve Jobs and Apple do a damn good job of producing a great product.

While some people are wasting hours on end trying to root some faceless Android/Win7 device I will use my stuff for what it is intended for: To check my email, play games, and to read ebooks.

If I want to mod something, I will stick to my desktops where there is actually a REASON to do that.

Hey, you want to rip Apple for their desktops fine. I know I do, because making me buy a server component motherboard, when I need a simple single processor desktop is a joke. Rip them for not allowing upgradeability in their laptops fine, though I love mine, and the ergonomics are worth it TO ME (to me being the keyword and I have done every mod known to God on laptops going all the way back to doing the pinmods on the first gen intel processors pre-yonah). Apple has this down. Their consumer products for ergonomics, ease of use, program support, and design are untouchable. Steve Jobs may be an ass to some, but he is a pretty damn smart and innovative ass as far as I can tell

To add to your post: If people do want to play around with their iOS devices an untethered jailbreak literally takes less than a minute. Until you get to installing Cydia, which is not the fastest program in the world.

Just means its an untapped market. Problem is everyone's currently content with an iPad. So no one is going to be writing apps for a superior product with a much smaller market base.

Well the other problem is the cost of x86 slates, at least to the undiscerning eye. The EP121 is a fantastic x86 slate, great Wacom pen and multi-touch digitizers but it doesn’t have good battery life and starts at $1k. If few people will buy a device like this with Windows on it then even fewer would with Ubuntu.

However if you have a need for what a device like this can do the iPad or any Android isn’t an option but once again a niche market compared to entertainment focused devices.

Had an iPad for 6 months now...love it. So much easier to surf when sat on the couch, watch movies on the plane. Waiting for iPad 3 though

It's even nicer when you surf this way on the couch and EVERY web site works, Flash and other plug-ins or not.

Okay, anyone who is working for a competitor... THIS is what you are to beat. Not provide some lame halfass attempt. Apple's using a metal chassis, YOU use a metal chassis. Apple uses an IPS (or similar quality LED backlit) display, YOU use the same with a higher resolution. Your processor needs to be at least as good, but it would be awesome if it was better. Add more RAM. Install HD cameras. Now...

Do BETTER. Put a USB3.0 port on the damn thing, Thunderbolt, and HDMI. SD Card slot. Design it for MeeGo or if you must, Android. - give people an open operating system that doesn't require you to slave the damn thing to iTunes. Build ALL of your wares with the 3G, 4G/WiMAX radio but do NOT require someone to purchase service, much less with a contract. Knowing Apple pricing, you'll probably still be able to price this device at or below what they do. Hell, take an individual hit so you can get people saying "This is better than the iPad in just about every way for a lesser price".

Is it so bloody hard? Honestly, the competitors for the 1st generation have been lackluster. Some came so close to being quality, but then fouled it up at the last moment (ie. Archos. The 10.1 could have been fantastic with a screen as good as the iPad or Nook. The Xoom...insane pricing and contracts).

I look at that iPad2 and think "Eh, you know...maybe it isn't so bad..." and then I realize that every step of the way the device is going to fight me because of the god awful lockdown and limitations that apparently don't bother the target market. It is insane that in the year 2011, I can't copy and paste media onto a $600+ device (or sync with the programs of my choosing, using open formats) and get it to play without a proprietary program sending it along, or that free and open source codecs like FLAC are not supported when some cheaply made chinese knockoff plays them no problem. This is only the tip of the iceberg dealing with Apple's attitude.

Okay, anyone who is working for a competitor... THIS is what you are to beat. Not provide some lame halfass attempt. Apple's using a metal chassis, YOU use a metal chassis. Apple uses an IPS (or similar quality LED backlit) display, YOU use the same with a higher resolution. Your processor needs to be at least as good, but it would be awesome if it was better. Add more RAM. Install HD cameras. Now...

Do BETTER. Put a USB3.0 port on the damn thing, Thunderbolt, and HDMI. SD Card slot. Design it for MeeGo or if you must, Android. - give people an open operating system that doesn't require you to slave the damn thing to iTunes. Build ALL of your wares with the 3G, 4G/WiMAX radio but do NOT require someone to purchase service, much less with a contract. Knowing Apple pricing, you'll probably still be able to price this device at or below what they do. Hell, take an individual hit so you can get people saying "This is better than the iPad in just about every way for a lesser price".

Is it so bloody hard? Honestly, the competitors for the 1st generation have been lackluster. Some came so close to being quality, but then fouled it up at the last moment (ie. Archos. The 10.1 could have been fantastic with a screen as good as the iPad or Nook. The Xoom...insane pricing and contracts).

I look at that iPad2 and think "Eh, you know...maybe it isn't so bad..." and then I realize that every step of the way the device is going to fight me because of the god awful lockdown and limitations that apparently don't bother the target market. It is insane that in the year 2011, I can't copy and paste media onto a $600+ device (or sync with the programs of my choosing, using open formats) and get it to play without a proprietary program sending it along, or that free and open source codecs like FLAC are not supported when some cheaply made chinese knockoff plays them no problem. This is only the tip of the iceberg dealing with Apple's attitude.

Jailbreaking solves most of the iPad's problems. Sadly VLC was removed from the app store, but it can still be found with a certain jailbreak only app. iTunes is still a piece of shit and still required though, which sucks.

The device you listed would be at least $1500 bucks from any company other than Apple at this point.

sarcasm on
Wow, the addition of a front camera AND a back camera. Who could have *ever* predicted that would happen?
sarcasm off

I had a conversation with a respected hardware engineer that owns an ipad and he tried to defend the lack of a camera in the iPad V1 due to time constraints eventhough at the time all of apple's other touchscreen products had cameras. It definitely knocked my respect for him down a couple of notches.

Re: Guys who pine for the addition of SD card slots and a normal USB port

WTF? You guys really don't understand Apple do you? Apple will NEVER add expandable storage to the iPad, if they ever do add a SD card slot, it would probably be crippled like the "accessory" they offer to transfer photos onto the machine. Apple is in the business of making a profit on selling iPads with larger storage capacities, and selling *new* iPads when apple adherents require more memory. Heh, a standard USB port... probably only because the EU is mandating a common charge port for phones... but wait, the iPad's not a phone, so it probably doesn't and won't ever have a microUSB port on it. And honestly, the iPod/iPhone/iPad connector *is* pretty much standard these days... 99% of the MP3 speaker docks/clock radios have iPod connectors on them. There *is* not other universal standard for MP3 players other than the 3.5mm jack.

I dunno....I have an iPod 2g I've been happy with for a while....and YES, I am finally looking to upgrade it this year, but it won't be an iPad. It'll either be the newer 5g iPod being released later this year if it's jailbreakable shortly after launch, and if its not I'll go with a 4g with 32 gigs storage. I want a device I can stick in my pocket and go with.

The device you listed would be at least $1500 bucks from any company other than Apple at this point.

Agreed, the closest thing to what he described is that's currently in the market is the EP121 and it lacks USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt but does do everything else but starts at $1k which really isn't a bad price considering that it can really replace a laptop or desktop.

I cant stand all these hippies and cool cats on the subways here in NYC reading them while standing. I'm just waiting for the train to lurch forward or stop suddenly one day just so i can burst out laughing at the poor sobs when it hits the floor and breaks. Hmph! :mad:

I cant stand all these hippies and cool cats on the subways here in NYC reading them while standing. I'm just waiting for the train to lurch forward or stop suddenly one day just so i can burst out laughing at the poor sobs when it hits the floor and breaks. Hmph! :mad:

Egads? Using a device in a way that is was designed? They deserve to be thrown under the subway car, in that case.

Why would they move to standard when they can charge third party manufacturer licensing agreements to make connectors. They've got enough leverage in the marketplace, hell people make a living selling iOS accessories. So from a business perspective... why would you. Why allow expandable storage, then you couldn't charge more for more storage. Plus holes in their devices are unsightly. Form over function and unfortunately... that's what the majority of people care about.

You think Motorola is going to make any money on hardware on the xoom at $800 a pop? No, Verizon is paying for the hardware and they could care less, they're making money off the data rates. Apple actually makes money on their hardware so their incentives are completely different.

And for all you naysayers, I'm an iPad owner and I love it. I use it more than my T-mobile G2, my HTPC's, my server, and my gaming rig. I knew what I was buying and use it for the purpose I bought it. Haha it was a much better purchase the 6950 I just bought or the 1090T. Hell I don't even play with eyefinity on most of the time... but the iPad, with all it's deficiencies is AWESOME. At $500 and the ability to stream all the content from my 12 TB server, that IPS screen and 10 hour battery life. Nothing comes close at this point and nothing will in the near future. I'm sorry... Android might get there, I haven't used Honeycomb yet just Froyo and my Droid and compared to iOS for the 5 tasks that I do on my iPad (books, videos, music, surfing, and games) the Android just makes it too complicated. I understand there's a market for that, but for me and the 15 million other buyers, I just want a stupid device that I can do those tasks as fast as easy and as reliably as I can. Hell it's not even jailbroken.

Telling you, tablets are here to stay... it's not a fad. Desktop PC's are going to be dinosaurs. If you want something productive use a laptop, and in 3-4 years tablets will replace them, and in 10 years everything is going to be computed from our phones. I know... my heart tells me nothing will ever replace my gaming desktop... but it will be :(

sarcasm on
Wow, the addition of a front camera AND a back camera. Who could have *ever* predicted that would happen?
sarcasm off

I had a conversation with a respected hardware engineer that owns an ipad and he tried to defend the lack of a camera in the iPad V1 due to time constraints eventhough at the time all of apple's other touchscreen products had cameras. It definitely knocked my respect for him down a couple of notches.

Re: Guys who pine for the addition of SD card slots and a normal USB port

WTF? You guys really don't understand Apple do you? Apple will NEVER add expandable storage to the iPad, if they ever do add a SD card slot, it would probably be crippled like the "accessory" they offer to transfer photos onto the machine. Apple is in the business of making a profit on selling iPads with larger storage capacities, and selling *new* iPads when apple adherents require more memory. Heh, a standard USB port... probably only because the EU is mandating a common charge port for phones... but wait, the iPad's not a phone, so it probably doesn't and won't ever have a microUSB port on it. And honestly, the iPod/iPhone/iPad connector *is* pretty much standard these days... 99% of the MP3 speaker docks/clock radios have iPod connectors on them. There *is* not other universal standard for MP3 players other than the 3.5mm jack.

What's the difference between reading off an iPad, a nook, a kindle, or a book?

I use my iPad on the train to read... why do you hate my iPad?

Desktop PC's are going to be dinosaurs. If you want something productive use a laptop, and in 3-4 years tablets will replace them, and in 10 years everything is going to be computed from our phones. I know... my heart tells me nothing will ever replace my gaming desktop... but it will be :(

This is simply not true. A keyboard input, a mouse, and a large screen are integral to certain industries (analysis, design, etc.). Desktops are NOT going anywhere, especially with the lackluster improvements to battery life we have had recently.

I'd like to see you do 3d modeling or FEA analysis or fluid flow / heat transfer calculations from a puny phone, even in 10 years.

I agree for the workplace, you can't ever replace, I'm talking about in our homes, our offices, our living rooms. Assuming you don't work from home ;)

This is simply not true. A keyboard input, a mouse, and a large screen are integral to certain industries (analysis, design, etc.). Desktops are NOT going anywhere, especially with the lackluster improvements to battery life we have had recently.

I'd like to see you do 3d modeling or FEA analysis or fluid flow / heat transfer calculations from a puny phone, even in 10 years.

I will be buying a Asus Eee Slate.

I want to be able to a bit more than look at web pages and use worthless apps.

I think the only way I would ever get a slate is if I could control XBMC from it, browse through my media collection with it, control my (non-existent) home with it, and monitor power usage, network traffic, etc.

Either way, I have my opinions on the kind of product that Apple puts out, and generally, they do a good job of serving the ignorant public. To us [H] users, I'm not sure just having an iPad will ever be enough.

I will be buying a Asus Eee Slate.

I want to be able to a bit more than look at web pages and use worthless apps.

The EP121? Great device, only flaw is poor battery life but I took care of that with an an Energizer XP18000 external battery.

I think he's talking about the mid-basic end of the computing spectrum (home users). You don't need a physical keyboard, mouse or a large screen to browse the internet, pay bills, watch a video or check your email. Most of the population doesn't need that kind of horsepower. They just want to do basic tasks as easily as possible.

desktop workstations will always have a place in the business world (engineering and such), but they are becoming less important by the day

Looks like a very very good device now..........you got to hand it to'em.

I just enjoy how, a year and 15 million iPads later, people on this board are still talking about vaporware that will "be so much better than iPad."

Between the BB Playbook, Honeycomb devices, and WebOS devices, I'm just hoping that at least one platform will give them enough of a run for their money to push the prices down. I think a tablet would be a fun toy for $99 or $199, but I'm not spending $500+ on one when I already have a $600 smartphone and a $2000 laptop that I carry around.

I think the only way I would ever get a slate is if I could control XBMC from it, browse through my media collection with it, control my (non-existent) home with it, and monitor power usage, network traffic, etc.

Either way, I have my opinions on the kind of product that Apple puts out, and generally, they do a good job of serving the ignorant public. To us [H] users, I'm not sure just having an iPad will ever be enough.

If it's worth anything, they have XBMC remote in the app store. I use it to control my 2 HTPC's. I use logmein to monitor my server. I use airvideo to watch movies from my server, subsonic to listen to music. It's a matter of time before Asus or somebody releases a monitoring/OC tool if they haven't already.

Tablets and slates in general are great for portable applications. I can do similar things on my phone but it's too small.

I'm letting my coworker borrow mine tonight to see if he finds it useful. Anecdotal evidence is just that. My 2 cents

I just enjoy how, a year and 15 million iPads later, people on this board are still talking about vaporware that will "be so much better than iPad."

Between the BB Playbook, Honeycomb devices, and WebOS devices, I'm just hoping that at least one platform will give them enough of a run for their money to push the prices down. I think a tablet would be a fun toy for $99 or $199, but I'm not spending $500+ on one when I already have a $600 smartphone and a $2000 laptop that I carry around.

Judging by the prices of the Galaxy Tab and Xoom, it's no wonder Apple doesn't increase their prices ;)

desktop workstations will always have a place in the business world (engineering and such), but they are becoming less important by the day

Workstations will big spacious monitors are becoming a BIG thing in my work place, for more useful that a small screen tablet. This isn't a zero sum game.

I asked in another thread but ill ask in this one too speculations or actual figures on RAM? If its 512mb I am going to smack them.

Thus why I said it is too bad Motorola screwed the pooch. The Xoom IS technically better then the iPad in just about every way but Motorola priced themselves out of the market.

Give me a $500 WiFi only version of the Xoom and I'd probably buy one that day. Hell cut the internal storage to 16GB and price it even lower. That small amount of space doesn't matter since you could plug in a 32GB SDcard if needed. A Xoom at $350-400 would be an absolute no brainer for many people.

XMBC also has a fully functional application on Android. That is one of the few reasons I want a tablet in the future.

I asked in another thread but ill ask in this one too speculations or actual figures on RAM? If its 512mb I am going to smack them.

I don't think that it was announced but I'd honestly be surprised if it didn't get upgraded. With every new iOS device generation, they've beefed up the amount of ram and the processor speed... the iPad 2 should be no different.

I have said it a million times, if you are going to plop down the cash for an e-book reader or similar device, don't waste your money....just get an iPad. It reads books AND everything else for around the same amount. (e-book readers are getting cheap now but wo will the iPad I soon too)

The PS3 / Blu-ray player is in the same boat. Why buy a Blu-ray player that only plays movies when you can get a PS3 that plays the same movies AND does everything else too.

If you need a computer, you can get a LOT for the same money nowadays.

I feel for you bro :(

WTF are you talking about? $200 nook color, full E-reader and Android Tablet. Equal screen as the ipad, faster than the iPad 1.

Until iFixit or somebody gets their hands on one and tears it apart, I doubt you're going to find out anytime soon. Apple never announces such info, and it's obviously not part of the specs so... it's now "hurry up and wait" time. ;)

Thus why I said it is too bad Motorola screwed the pooch. The Xoom IS technically better then the iPad in just about every way but Motorola priced themselves out of the market.

Give me a $500 WiFi only version of the Xoom and I'd probably buy one that day. Hell cut the internal storage to 16GB and price it even lower. That small amount of space doesn't matter since you could plug in a 32GB SDcard if needed. A Xoom at $350-400 would be an absolute no brainer for many people.

XMBC also has a fully functional application on Android. That is one of the few reasons I want a tablet in the future.

I tend to agree. The Xoom looked like the end all be all of tablets for the next 6 months and I would gladly have put out $500 for it because it has FLASH lol. But 800 as the only unsub price is not my cup of tea. I can get a new core i7 computer for that price.

FWIW I am not interested in the iPad 2 as I am firmly in the Android ecosystem, but my attitude towards Apple has changed recently - I am not rooting for them to do well to FORCE other idiotic companies to start producing decent hardware. That's what happened in the smartphone world - after Apple launched the iPhone, there was an explosion of good hardware like never seen before, ending up in a more open platform that eclipses iOS in terms of both software and hardware.

I'm hoping thats what happens with tablets - for example, maybe Motorola will wake up and drop the price of the Xoom and unlock the SD CArd slot now.

Workstations will big spacious monitors are becoming a BIG thing in my work place, for more useful that a small screen tablet. This isn't a zero sum game.

Same thing in my line of work :) however, I'm (we're) far from the average user. My parents and other less-computer savy people couldn't care less about large screens and beefy GPU's. Hell, most office workers (data entry, sales, etc) don't either

Mine is pretty much used as a very portable vnc screen with a web browser that I only have to charge about once a week. Airvideo plays all of my media collection over the network if I want to do that, airtunes is also pretty sweet for controlling the music I'm playing on the patio. The iPad definitely has it's place. No one is arguing for just having one -- I need my desktop that pulls ~1kW for games!

FWIW I am not interested in the iPad 2 as I am firmly in the Android ecosystem, but my attitude towards Apple has changed recently - I am not rooting for them to do well to FORCE other idiotic companies to start producing decent hardware. That's what happened in the smartphone world - after Apple launched the iPhone, there was an explosion of good hardware like never seen before, ending up in a more open platform that eclipses iOS in terms of both software and hardware.

I'm hoping thats what happens with tablets - for example, maybe Motorola will wake up and drop the price of the Xoom and unlock the SD CArd slot now.

That was supposed to be NOW rooting for them to do well, instead of NOT.

Back