• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The iPad 2

This tablet movement is a fad that will be over soon IMO.

That's the problem, it shouldn't be. A properly designed tablet with real applications that make use of the form factor and mobility is still a good idea. But this fucking stinky turd Apple released has pretty much killed the idea and changed what I considered a "tablet" to be because no one will have the sack to release a "tablet" that's any different from the iPad.
 
I don't either. My mother-in-law got one for Valentine's day and was showing it off for us. The entire time she was fidgeting trying to find a comfortable way to hold it and use it. The second web page she tried was flash and the demonstration stopped lol. My s/o even walked away wondering what the heck the point of them was other than to be cool and have a new gadget. When I told her the price she laughed and said no thanks. This tablet movement is a fad that will be over soon IMO.

For myself Im ditching my laptop soon. I used my laptop a lot as a mobile entertainment device primarily and a research tool second. These tablets can replace the laptop with ease, they cost less and I wont need a lot of processing power either.

For something I can slip into my backpack, not worry about keeping plugged in, and throw in the back seat of my car these work real well for me.
 
So far my HP Slate can do everything and more than the ipad. It's not a matter if i hate apple products or not. I myself would never justify buying "tablet" with that much lack of function and compatiblity.

Plus I have it attached to my domain and if need be VPN up and remote into my server or desktop without problem's.

Also I can use all the software my desktop and server use.

And It has a PEN!!!! And it works damn good. So does the touch screen. :D
 
Meh.

And GOD that bezel is hideous. I guess I never really looked hard at it before.

*shudders*
 
For myself Im ditching my laptop soon. I used my laptop a lot as a mobile entertainment device primarily and a research tool second. These tablets can replace the laptop with ease, they cost less and I wont need a lot of processing power either.

They can't replace a laptop anymore than a smart phone can. Most likely you didn't have a real need for one to begin with.
 
I really don't know how anyone can believe this.

EDIT: If you don't like what Apple is putting out, all the other big boys are jumping in. I think the tablets are going to chew a big one out of the laptop market at least.

They're not going anywhere.
 
There's nothing true about that statement. The Xoom shipped in volume first

I don't think there are enough Xooms to call it volume, at least not in the way Jobs is using the term. Wasn't there something said about more iPad 2s going to be shipped than all Android tablets combined?
 
I'm going to state the obvious, but if someone wants a tablet that can primarily be an E-reader, they can just get a Nook Color. It's specs are about the same as an iPad, half the price, and can run Honeycomb with ease. It takes 15 minutes and a MicroSD card, and when you take the card out and reset it, you got your Nook color just as you left it.

Spec's same as the iPad? Runs Honeycomb with ease? Um no. Try opening an app only to have it crash. Or, log into Market and you cannot download anything because market doesn't recognize your device as "capable" of running particular paid apps. Have WiFi not wake from sleep, have the screen not wake from sleep. Have to reboot the device cause its locked up (again). This is not "with ease" as you state. Its a hack from the boys over at the XDA forums. I'd rather wait for a true Honeycomb tab such as the Xoom.
 
For myself Im ditching my laptop soon. I used my laptop a lot as a mobile entertainment device primarily and a research tool second. These tablets can replace the laptop with ease, they cost less and I wont need a lot of processing power either.

For something I can slip into my backpack, not worry about keeping plugged in, and throw in the back seat of my car these work real well for me.
I picked up my CULV ultraportable for $375 out the door. It plays HD video, battery lasts 7 hours (and is replaceable), and does everything a tablet can do just better and is just as portable. Considering that I carry a phone with me at all times that does more than the iPad too I'm covered.
 
lol

like an ipad can replace a laptop.

Replace outright? Nah. But certainly looking at an overlapping market. Tablets are going to take a piece out of that marketplace. No doubt about it.

Complementary more like. They're not just a fad that's going to disappear is all I'm saying.
 
I really don't know how anyone can believe this.
Everyone I know with an iPad or similar tablet has it sitting in a closet collecting dust. They're glorified smart phones that are inconvenient to use. I honestly believe that there is going to be a point where they aren't cool anymore and at that point the lack of functionality is going to kill them.
 
They can't replace a laptop anymore than a smart phone can. Most likely you didn't have a real need for one to begin with.

Yes they can and what is a "real" need?

My needs were a mobile entertainment device, my entertainment everywhere else but home was to surf the net and watch video's. My laptop did that and a tablet can do that so I did have a need for one, now I can replace it for cheaper then what I payed for my laptop.
 
lol

like an ipad can replace a laptop.

It can. I have my desktop for when I'm home and my iPad for when I'm at school or just not home. Replaced the laptop I used to carry around. Does so perfectly. I have yet to wish I still had the laptop, unless I forget to grab my charger. Though now I have an iTouch and DSi to play with when the iPad runs out of power.
 
They are a fad. The only thing they offer over a phone is a big screen for movies. It's basically a portable movie player. There are and will be cheaper options for that.
 
Hmm. Not sure if I should sell my Gen 1 and buy this or not.

For all the haters out there, I too was once a hater. I still hate iTunes with a passion, but you have to give them credit where credit is due, because the iPad is a killer little gadget. I was all "lol it's a big ipod" when it came out, but I tote this thing to and from work everyday.
 
i waited to see what the ipad 2 had to offer... guess ill wait some more.
 
Replace outright? Nah. But certainly looking at an overlapping market. Tablets are going to take a piece out of that marketplace. No doubt about it.

Complementary more like. They're not just a fad that's going to disappear is all I'm saying.

+1. If you really need a laptop, an ipad won't cut it. If you use a laptop for email and internet browsing, it will easily do so. For most consumers, I suspect it is mostly just a fun gadget.
 
I want a tablet with x86, Win7, and a color eink display so I can actually see the damn thing in sunlight.
 
I love my Ipad. I use it extensively to help me keep track of wells I am drilling in real time. It's an absolutely indispensable part of my work life now. The entertainment side is just a bonus for me.
 
I love my Ipad. I use it extensively to help me keep track of wells I am drilling in real time. It's an absolutely indispensable part of my work life now. The entertainment side is just a bonus for me.

How do you keep track? What app? Just curious.
 
I picked up my CULV ultraportable for $375 out the door. It plays HD video, battery lasts 7 hours (and is replaceable), and does everything a tablet can do just better and is just as portable. Considering that I carry a phone with me at all times that does more than the iPad too I'm covered.

Interesting which CULV?
 
Everyone I know with an iPad or similar tablet has it sitting in a closet collecting dust. They're glorified smart phones that are inconvenient to use. I honestly believe that there is going to be a point where they aren't cool anymore and at that point the lack of functionality is going to kill them.

Fair enough. :)


That's actually a concern for myself that you've stated there which is why I haven't bought one. I could easily see myself buying one, fooling around with it, the novelty wears off and it starts collecting dust.

BUT

If handled properly, I can see where manufacterers can have these things be viable for certain application and usage. I like another posters said: These don't HAVE to die out as a fad if handled well.

I do wonder about the redundancy between one of these vs a smartphone like you're talking about.
 
They can't replace a laptop anymore than a smart phone can. Most likely you didn't have a real need for one to begin with.

Windows tablets are essentially touch screen notebooks and netbooks. Though many think that Windows doesn't work well on a touch screen plenty of people get used to it, the main problem is lack of touch based apps more than the OS.
 
How do you keep track? What app? Just curious.

I use Citrix Receiver to remotely login to a service my mud-logging company runs that does real time sample/gas chromatograph logs. It's terrific to pull out my Ipad after a flight lands and see an instantaneous update on a horizontal well. Before I had to get around 30 emails a day per well just to keep track of shows and make any steering corrections.
 
Very disappointed about the screen resolution.
It was the single reason I held off on the iPad1.
 
I want a tablet with x86, Win7, and a color eink display so I can actually see the damn thing in sunlight.

You will be waiting a while for a good one, the only option for x86 on these right now is the atom. I will say I have a small amount of hope for AMD to come out with a pretty good x86 low power segment.

Honestly though the Tegra2's are pretty damn good.
 
Windows tablets are essentially touch screen notebooks and netbooks. Though many think that Windows doesn't work well on a touch screen plenty of people get used to it, the main problem is lack of touch based apps more than the OS.

Windows tablets are closer to what I would like to see. Like you said, I don't like cramming Windows 7 on a touch only device. Would rather see something with similar functionality but was designed from the ground up with a stylus/touch interface in mind.

Who knows, maybe something like that will come out of the Linux side of the things(or maybe Microsoft will amaze me). But the popularity of the Apple travesty puts a huge dent in the chances of that happening any time soon.
 
Spec's same as the iPad? Runs Honeycomb with ease? Um no. Try opening an app only to have it crash. Or, log into Market and you cannot download anything because market doesn't recognize your device as "capable" of running particular paid apps. Have WiFi not wake from sleep, have the screen not wake from sleep. Have to reboot the device cause its locked up (again). This is not "with ease" as you state. Its a hack from the boys over at the XDA forums. I'd rather wait for a true Honeycomb tab such as the Xoom.

Oh, you're right, it doesn't have the same specs as the iPad, they're higher. The Processor can be overclocked to 1.1 ghtz, and it has double the RAM. The 'with ease' as I had stated was the process in which it takes to apply the hack, which has zero risk of bricking the device or even losing your data. Did you have problems running it? You download it, image it to an SDcard, and insert it into the Nook Color and restart it. A monkey could have done it. And yes, I have done it myself. I didn't notice the WiFi problems you mentioned at all, and if I didn't know any better, I'd say you messed up the process really bad somehow.
 
I wish Apple would release software and hardware updates at the same time. This is just like iPhone 3G to 3GS, incremental hardware changes and you wait a year for the real upgrades. Its almost like Intel's tick-tock, except Apple would never admit to it and are quite happy to take your money for it.

I want a tablet, the Xoom is too expensive, Apple has the best hardware and the smoothest OS, Android is way too fragmented but has the features I want. Went through the same dilemma last year and things haven't improved much.
 
I have an ipad it has its uses but i see no reason to upgrade to ipad 2 if i made any jump it would be the xoom. the ipad has its issues like any tablet esp if you dont reboot it once a week apps get real pissy. the xoom with its tegra 2 chip is where its at for now plus ipad 2 only being 64gb max still sucks!
 
Windows tablets are closer to what I would like to see. Like you said, I don't like cramming Windows 7 on a touch only device. Would rather see something with similar functionality but was designed from the ground up with a stylus/touch interface in mind.

Who knows, maybe something like that will come out of the Linux side of the things(or maybe Microsoft will amaze me). But the popularity of the Apple travesty puts a huge dent in the chances of that happening any time soon.

Its sad people will still flock to Apple products for this function too. The only reason? 65,000 apps available!

It will hold other companies in their tracks as they attempt to come up with the anti-apple product.

Im still happy with the way the Xoom turned out, I'll wait for the wifi only version which is rumored to be $600. Good thing about the delay on the Wifi only version is its come out when Asus is supposed to come out with their tablet and smartphone.
 
The PS3 / Blu-ray player is in the same boat. Why buy a Blu-ray player that only plays movies when you can get a PS3 that plays the same movies AND does everything else too.

I just want to add to this that, as somebody who suffered the indignities of a Samsung Blu-ray player before switching to a PS3, the PS3 is an absolutely superior BR playback device. Sure, it loads content about 5x faster than your typical BDP--but the real benefit is in the image quality; aside from some doubly expensive, and single purpose, Oppo BDP units, the PS3 is far and away the best consumer reference player. Plus: It's still the exclusive 1080p and DD5.1 Netflix device and there's that whole game thing too.

It doesn't quite do "everything", but, what it does it does very well. The iPad has been designed in the same manner. I just wish I could figure out a reason to use a tablet in my life.
 
Windows tablets are closer to what I would like to see. Like you said, I don't like cramming Windows 7 on a touch only device. Would rather see something with similar functionality but was designed from the ground up with a stylus/touch interface in mind.

Who knows, maybe something like that will come out of the Linux side of the things(or maybe Microsoft will amaze me). But the popularity of the Apple travesty puts a huge dent in the chances of that happening any time soon.

A number of people like the touch interface in Ubuntu 10.10 but once again the problem is similar to Windows, lack of touch based apps.
 
A number of people like the touch interface in Ubuntu 10.10 but once again the problem is similar to Windows, lack of touch based apps.

Just means its an untapped market. Problem is everyone's currently content with an iPad. So no one is going to be writing apps for a superior product with a much smaller market base.
 
Fair enough. :)


That's actually a concern for myself that you've stated there which is why I haven't bought one. I could easily see myself buying one, fooling around with it, the novelty wears off and it starts collecting dust.

BUT

If handled properly, I can see where manufacterers can have these things be viable for certain application and usage. I like another posters said: These don't HAVE to die out as a fad if handled well.

I do wonder about the redundancy between one of these vs a smartphone like you're talking about.

I see more of a happy medium being reached or some sort of hybrid. Oh wait...Motorola has one already: the Motorola Atrix. Only problem is again Motorola has a wonderful idea, enough horsepower in the phone to do it, and then do a total pooch screw by pricing themselves out of a market that's ripe for the taking.
 
I see more of a happy medium being reached or some sort of hybrid. Oh wait...Motorola has one already: the Motorola Atrix. Only problem is again Motorola has a wonderful idea, enough horsepower in the phone to do it, and then do a total pooch screw by pricing themselves out of a market that's ripe for the taking.

Right.

See that's just it, though. With all this convergance and hybrid products and such, there's a lot of overlap and redundancy we're already starting to see even in this relatively early phase.

It makes one wonder where to land or whether to even bother at all?
 
Back
Top