The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

I don't know that I've ever researched this - but I did have two PSU's of different vendors when pushed to their limit become weaker over time.

A sparkle 400watt PSU, that was pretty much maxed out started to become unstable at less and less an overclock on my old p4 3.2Ghz system with an 6800GT and mutliple hard-drives. Soon it couldn't run anything but stock. I bought a new PSU and my overclock was stably obtainable again - In fact higher levels of overclock. Then the same thing happened with an Xclio 450bl PSU on another system.

It's weird, but it can and does happen. All electronics will 'deginerate' a bit over time. Capacitors leak, voltage fluctuations at the wall take their toll, etc.

Think about it in a car terminology. Does a 100,000 mile corvette have as much power as a brand new corvette? Even if we are talking about a very minimal amount of loss --- when the power supply levels are so close to being maxxed - it matters.

Hmm, that's interesting about your real world scenarios of weakening PSUs. I never had such a problem, but I guess I wasn't pushing the system too hard. I thought of PSUs (in terms of weakening or dying) like light bulbs. They rarely dim significantly before dying. They work fine and then just die one day on without much or any warning at all. :confused:

On the topic of PSUs, does anyone know who makes the ones HP sells in their Slimlines?

kakawak,

Do you even have your extra PCI-e power supply hooked up to your 9600gt? You do need that for the card to function properly. And unless your PSU is 250W or higher I would highly recommend getting an supplemental PSU for that card or you WILL blow out your HP PSU. And in order to get the extra supply to that card you would have to have done a SATA to Molex conversion, right?

hi

no ive only got a molex splitter so im taking the power straight from PSU ive had no problems except from overheating due to case, im currently modding my case so that it will have better circulation. why fry an egg when you can cook meat ;)

crysis warhead works fine its just that my card is overheating as there is no holes in case once that is sorted im sure everything else will cool down....i hope!

i think beowolf asked a good question....if i do manage to damage my psu where can i get a replacement for it?

kind regards me

Well I can assure you that you are doing damage to it right now by having that 9600GT hooked up to it. If you needed a new one though the only thing you can do is buy another Slimline or go hassle HP.:p

Hey guys - I got this in my e-mail...Some of you maybe interested

******************************************************************URGENT SUPPORT NOTIFICATION FROM HP****************************************************************** Dear Customer Our records indicate that you own a HP Pavilion Slimline PC. Someof these PCs contain a motherboard that could potentially resultin the PC not booting and/or not displaying video.Hewlett-Packard Company is contacting owners of PCs that may beaffected by this issue to inform them that HP is offering aLimited Warranty Service Enhancement, described at the followingwebpage:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...4044&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN If your PC is not booting or not displaying video, contact HP viathe 24x7 service line 1-800-HP-Invent or (1-800-474-6836).Please have the following information ready when you call: Product NumberModel NumberSerial NumberDate of Purchase This Urgent Support Notification was sent to [email protected] because you registered with HP or Compaq as a product owner and this message is critical to your product ownership. HP prides itself in being customer focused, quality driven and a company that customers can trust and count on, and we apologize for any inconvenience. HP is committed to respecting your privacy. For more information, visit our privacy policy at http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.htmlor contact us at HP Privacy Mailbox, 20555 SH 249, MS 040307, Houston, TX 77070

These models are under notice as shown in the link

RN672AV-ABJ s3020jp
GG071AV-ABJ s3120jp
GC635AA-ABF and GC635AAR-ABF s3005.fr
RZ416AA-ABZ and RZ416AAR-ABZ s3010.it
RY959AA-UUW and RY959AAR-UUW s3010.sc
RY924AA-ABF and RY924AAR-ABF s3015.fr
RY932AA-ABU and RY932AAR-ABU s3015.uk
GC640AA-ABF and GC640AAR-ABF s3017.fr
RZ418AA-ABH and RZ418AAR-ABH s3020.nl
RY958AA-UUW s3020.sc
RZ414AA-ABZ and RZ414AAR-ABZ s3030.it
RZ438AA-UUW s3040.sc
RY931AA-ABU and RY931AAR-ABU s3040.uk
GQ604AA-ABF and GQ604AAR-ABF s3103.fr
GG679AA-ABF and GG679AAR-ABF s3105.fr
GG694AA-ABZ and GG694AAR-ABZ s3110.it
GG678AA-ABF and GG678AAR-ABF s3115.fr
GG647AA-ABU and GG647AAR-ABU s3115.uk
GG801AA-UUW s3130.sc
GG649AA-ABU s3130.uk
GG700AA-UUW s3140.sc
GG646AA-ABU s3140.uk
GQ534AA-UUW s3230.sc
GM266AA-AC8 s3041la
GM266AA-AKV s3041la
GM266AA-ABM s3041la
GC387AV-ABA s3000e
GC519AA-ABA s3012n
RX890AA-ABA and RX890AAR-ABA s3020n
RZ389AA-ABA and RZ389AAR-ABA s3023w
RY882AA-ABA and RY882AAR-ABA s3027c
GG759AV-ABA s3100e
GJ474AA-ABA and GJ474AAR-ABA s3100n
GC665AA-ABA and GC665AAR-ABA s3120n
GM286AA-ABA and GM286AAR-ABA s3122x
GC659AA-ABA and GC659AAR-ABA s3123w
GG787AA-ABA and GG787AAR-ABA s3127c
GN712AA-ABA s3242x

Yeah I have also have an 9600GT installed too and I'm a little confused as well. What modification to your case did you make exactly? Also, if you mount some fans on the back of the case it will help at least 3x with your circulation problem and works amazing. (That picture is right as I'm typing this during idle but under full load it'll never go above 110F.

But yeah don't go cutting a darn hole on the bottom of your case.:p

I did the "fan mod" and was pleased with the results and certainly appreciate your input on the 9600GT mods. However I never have achieved temperatures as cool as yours. What is your ambient air temp? Mine is about 74 degrees F. I also just realized you might have a faulty sensor on your CPU (or a very cold room). 43 degrees F is about refrigerator temperatures. Which I am assuming is cooler than your ambient air. 11 degrees cooler and it would be freezing moisture in the air into ice crystals.

I have the Asus A8MN-BR / Hematite-GL8E mobo and can confirm it suports 4850e without any problems with the May bios update. Mobo manufactured late 2006, Slimline model s7610.sc. Further details in my post. dd 10-03-2008.

I have the Asus A8MN-BR / Hematite-GL8E mobo and can confirm it suports 4850e without any problems with the May bios update. Mobo manufactured late 2006, Slimline model s7610.sc. Further details in my post. dd 10-03-2008.

EXCELLENT - C-NUMB....That's good news! So then that's our new best 45 watt CPU. I'll update the first post

anyone know a video card that can handle tf2 decently on a 1440x900 res. Also does anyone know what type of ram the s3100y holds? Is there a difference between a DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and a DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

anyone know a video card that can handle tf2 decently on a 1440x900 res. Also does anyone know what type of ram the s3100y holds? Is there a difference between a DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and a DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

hi

as fas as im aware there is no difference so you should be just fine, the difference between the numbers pc25300 & pc25400 is that they just round off the nearest figure ie if its around 5362 then its rounded to 5400 and if its 5338 then its round off to 5300.

hope that makes sense!

regards me

I did the "fan mod" and was pleased with the results and certainly appreciate your input on the 9600GT mods. However I never have achieved temperatures as cool as yours. What is your ambient air temp? Mine is about 74 degrees F. I also just realized you might have a faulty sensor on your CPU (or a very cold room). 43 degrees F is about refrigerator temperatures. Which I am assuming is cooler than your ambient air. 11 degrees cooler and it would be freezing moisture in the air into ice crystals.

hi

did you apply the fans at back of pc or did you cut holes in your case? my average temerature is 77 df.

you said you updated in May with bios for your motherboard last update was 09/07, im currently using 5.04 on mine and as far as im aware there isnt anymore updates! is this true? i also see that your PC model under drivers & specifications there is no bios update! where did you get it from?

your post has been deleted 10.3.08??????????????????? is there a link to the new May bios update???

as for the 4850e chipset i knew this would work ;) but dont know if it will be better than the efficient 9150e quad chip. do you know if your bios update will work on my model of slimline?(7720.uk) and does your pc accept quad processors?

kind regards me

Checked the bios, you'r right, I was wrong. It is the 09/2007 XP version(3.04). I was informed, when reseiving the replacement mobo, that bios was updated to "May version".....but never checked that statement. So there is no "May" version, sorry for inconvinience. But the 4850e works fine anyway.Strange thing that Vista needs different
bios(5.04) but so it is. Will stay though with xp, most stable pc i ever owned.

Regarding Quad, no idea. I think the 45w is optimal if You want to spend some watts on the vga card. CPU temps, cant get that one correctly. CPU is not recognised correctly(CPUID Hardware Monitor, Sandra....) and the core temp is showing less than ambient tempareture. Also the ACPI sensor is always 40C., it cant be always the same. Where is the ACPI sensor located anyway?Dont have any heat issues but would be nice to know anyway.

hi

did you apply the fans at back of pc or did you cut holes in your case? my average temerature is 77 df.

kind regards me

I applied them to the back of the slimline with zip ties then I trimmed the excess zip tie to be clean and neat. Works like a charm and install with care in less than 5 minutes.

Get it while you can. Today only 10/10/08 @ http://www.woot.com/

HP Pavilion s3401f Athlon 64 X2 (B) 5000+, 2GB RAM, 360GB SATA, DL DVD±RW,
$349.99 + $5 S&H

This has the Acacia-GL6E/ M2N61-AR Motherboard

hi jeremy

just for the record the reason why my PC could fry an egg on top is because of the 9600gt and the cooling system, there is no vent holes at all next to PCIe. all the heat thats generated from this card has no where to go so this is the main reason why i need to cut out some holes to extract the hot air! im not sure if the insides of my PC are different from the US models or newer slimline models but im sure you guys will keep me right ;)

you are correct about the ram but someone has installed 4gb of OCZ ram and worked with 64bit OS, he did say that if your using 32bit it will only show as 3gb, which im using at the moment so until i get 64bit OS system then this will do fine. as for my case im going to cut out a small section and replace the hole with a square wire mesh, similar to the mesh at the back of my PC. i will submit photos when all done!

is there a reason to why i cant cut out a small section from my case???

also will the 9150e or 9350e quad core work on my motherboard and will it be faster than my 5200+ 2.7ghz (this has to be 2600ghz due to core voltages etc... as this baby will give blue screens) will i also get the full benefits from this chip as some people say that due to bios and my bios sucks i wont get all the features with this chip.

is there another way to update bios because HP seem to be slower than a snails pace to release bios updates for modern upgrades!!!!!!!

as for power supply im using the original supply that came with my PC and yes it powers everything! i bought a molex splitter and my 9600gt came with the 6 pin so everything is working ok :D.........so far ;)

if someone could answer everything above would be very appreciative :)

kind regards me :)

Hi, i didnt see anyone reply. but a while back a few of Us tried different Phenom CPU, I myself tried a 9550 and i believe someone tried a 9350e, neither of us got the CPU work. I am hoping these CPU will work later, so i am holding back on my mods until then, else by then i would have upgraded. :)

Seems the woot deal isn't quite as nice as the old ubid deals :(

Shameless plug.

I'm selling an unmolested HP slimline I purchased from ubid a few months back. I bought it for about $320 shipped. I'm selling it for $350 shipped. Makes me about $10 bucks after shipping and paypal. I've not even ever powered the slimline on. If nobody is interested here it goes on ebay. I bought three of them in the last few months, two I sold slightly below my price to help out family. This one I didn't have a buyer for so I'll resell it here or ebay.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1352674

Hi, i didnt see anyone reply. but a while back a few of Us tried different Phenom CPU, I myself tried a 9550 and i believe someone tried a 9350e, neither of us got the CPU work. I am hoping these CPU will work later, so i am holding back on my mods until then, else by then i would have upgraded. :)

if you think thats bad i bought the 6000+ expecting it to work and to my amazement it did boot up to desktop however, because i wasnt sure about voltage cores at the time my pc would crash as the chip was overheating! so i sold the chip on ebay but if i had another go with the same chip im 99.9% sure that it would work using the programs i use just now. im currently reducing the voltage core on my 5200+ 2.7ghz 65watt so that it runs between 1v -1.125v @ 2.6ghz so slightly underclocked!!!! :D

im still considering the 4850e 2.5ghz which is tepting at £38 gbp rather than use programs to run my current setup

regards me

I applied them to the back of the slimline with zip ties then I trimmed the excess zip tie to be clean and neat. Works like a charm and install with care in less than 5 minutes.

i know i could do that but i want a cleaner look rather than having horns stick out :p

im thinking 2 ways of doing it.....

1. cut out a sqaure and use a square metal mesh i bought from maplin.
2. get it machined or drilled either by myself or company depending on cost!

either way i think it will still look better than having fans stuck to the back of PC but thats my opinion :)

i will post photos once its done and you can say wether its good or bad :D:mad:

regards me

i know i could do that but i want a cleaner look rather than having horns stick out :p

im thinking 2 ways of doing it.....

1. cut out a sqaure and use a square metal mesh i bought from maplin.
2. get it machined or drilled either by myself or company depending on cost!

either way i think it will still look better than having fans stuck to the back of PC but thats my opinion :)

i will post photos once its done and you can say wether its good or bad :D:mad:

regards me

There is another cooling pad that has screws that are long enough to screw the fans on. The pad I purchased had shorter stock screws, thus zip ties. The zip ties don't look bad but eventually I will get some nuts and bolts that will make it even more permanent.

No matter what you do I highly suggest you upgrade the psu. That is the weakest point in the the whole slimline. Fix that and the rest should be ok. Of course cooling could potentially be a serious problem, but as long as you get a fan or two pulling hot air out you should be in good shape.

I have the s3220n that we use as a media center PC. It has a nasty habit of "stuttering" from time to time when playing music either in WMP 11 or Windows Media Center. I doesn't matter if any other programs are open or not. I have upgraded the RAM to 4 GB and it is blazing fast. As far as I know everything else is the way it came. I searched this thread and couldn't find any mention of this issue. Can anyone offer any advice?

I have the s3220n that we use as a media center PC. It has a nasty habit of "stuttering" from time to time when playing music either in WMP 11 or Windows Media Center. I doesn't matter if any other programs are open or not. I have upgraded the RAM to 4 GB and it is blazing fast. As far as I know everything else is the way it came. I searched this thread and couldn't find any mention of this issue. Can anyone offer any advice?

Hi everyone. Can the Intel s3300t and/or s3600t series chasis have 2 hard drive slots? Because I'm using my machine as a media center, I'd like to upgrade to a 10k RPM drive but hopefully not waste the existing 720gig HD. Thanks in advance!

hi

just a quick update......

there is a better energy efficient chip -> AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 5050e retails about £54 GBP just thought i would let you guys know runs at 2.6ghz and is still 45w :)

regards me

@ jep5555
I've had the same problems also. I think it's due something running in the background. Make sure your virus scanner isn't scanning something. AVG Anti-Virus was doing something in the background on my computer and made things stutter. I've also had a problem with Google Chrome causing my system to gradually slow down.

@royhuang
No, only room for one hard drive. You can have 2 hard drives if you scrap the optical drive.

hi guys

have just ordered the amd dual core 5050e 2.6ghz 45w chip so will let you know when i get it setup and tested :D

im sure it will work 99.9% as the voltage core is about 1.1v to 1.25v if i remember and will replace my 5200+ 2.7ghz 65w, which im selling on ebay just now :) if anyone is interested in buying please let me know....UK only please!

kind regards me

hello everyone,

I have the S3320F, which I got off woot a couple months ago and recently ordered and recieved this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150319 so that I can do a little gaming (TF2, WoW, etc.)

I saw the "350 watt PSU" requirement on the box and so I'm nervous about putting it in but based on some of the posts I've seen in this thread, I think it might be OK. What do you guys think? I really don't WANT to replace the processor but I would be willing to do it, if thats the only option. Also, the TV tuner card in it is NOT getting used. Would removing that help at all?

Finally, do I need the low profile case brackets to make it fit?

hello everyone,

I have the S3320F, which I got off woot a couple months ago and recently ordered and recieved this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150319 so that I can do a little gaming (TF2, WoW, etc.)

I saw the "350 watt PSU" requirement on the box and so I'm nervous about putting it in but based on some of the posts I've seen in this thread, I think it might be OK. What do you guys think? I really don't WANT to replace the processor but I would be willing to do it, if thats the only option. Also, the TV tuner card in it is NOT getting used. Would removing that help at all?

Finally, do I need the low profile case brackets to make it fit?

i also have this video card. So far nothing has blown up or anything and it has been working for a week now but cant really tell much of a big difference between an 8400gs so im going to return it.

i also have this video card. So far nothing has blown up or anything and it has been working for a week now but cant really tell much of a big difference between an 8400gs so im going to return it.

Were you able to fit it in the case without the bracket? Or did you already have it? I read earlier in this thread that it is possible to put it in without the bracket.

You dont have to have the low profile bracket for it to fit. It is just a little wobbly. But it still works.

I'd suggest removing the TV tuner if you will not be using it. Especially if you are pushing it like you will be. Although I doubt the draw of a TV tuner is all that much, it'd help.

why would anyone buy the 9500gt its a piece of $hit go for the 9600gt and take a chance, i did and it works perfectly in my first gen slimline however, my case is overheating and im modding it as we speak :)

regards me

I wouldn't go for a 9600GT without either upgrading the PSU or buying a supplementary PSU. Your computer will die if you max it out like that. Six pin power adapters require two molex/sata power inputs. So, unless you don't have a hard drive or optical drive you're playing with fire.

What's the wattage of your PSU, kakawak?

why would anyone buy the 9500gt its a piece of $hit go for the 9600gt and take a chance, i did and it works perfectly in my first gen slimline however, my case is overheating and im modding it as we speak :)

regards me

The benchmarks I saw showed the 9500 gt performs better than my old 8600 gt. And for only $70 out the door, I thought it was the best option. So far, everything is working well and no overheating or other problems.

I have a stock s3120n slimline – this has the standard HematiteXL-GL8E MB and a 160Watt power supply. I have just purchased a 9500GS that someone took out of a S3530F. I took a look at the specs of the S3530F – and it also ships with the standard 160watt power supply. What I found surprising was that this model (S3530F) has a 95watt AMD 9100e, a 9500GS and a TV tuner card! This really seems to be pushing what the 160watt PSU is capable of! (My only source for this is looking at the HP Parts description at http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=J120639RFRX18HHKNRQSWPS5912WBWA9 )

Along with upgrading to the 9500GS, I purchased a BE-2400 45watt processor from newegg (we can now buy from newegg in Canada!!). This was based on reading through the forum posts and following the recommendation of going with the lower draw CPU before installing a new graphics card. Hopefully all will go well once I receive the parts – the one question that I have though is in regards to the list of supported processors documented on the first post of this forum. The BE-2400 is not on the list of supported processors for the HematiteXL-GL8E. The 2350 is listed. I did call HP Support with this query – but they were pretty useless in providing any details (they actually said that I could install any Socket AM2 CPU, when I asked how the board could support processors that were released AFTER the last bios update was issued – I just received the same response – any AM2 processor. I think the information in this forum provides much more detailed information than HP is able to offer!).

Has anyone installed the BE-2400 in the HematiteXL-GL8E Motherboard?

I wouldn't go for a 9600GT without either upgrading the PSU or buying a supplementary PSU. Your computer will die if you max it out like that. Six pin power adapters require two molex/sata power inputs. So, unless you don't have a hard drive or optical drive you're playing with fire.

What's the wattage of your PSU, kakawak?

I HIGHLY second that! Kakawak, do NOT tell people to get the 9600GT without some type of a supplemental PSU or PSU upgrade. I think your nuts running that 9600GT off your stock 160W PSU. Your going to blow it out!

And second, the 9600GT is NOT easy to install. To install it properly, like I did a few pages back, it requires quite a bit of work that I think I also made quite clear!

No, no one will be taking any "chances" with this card. Just because it "works" doesn't mean it's stable.

hi guys

yea dont always follow the lemmings :) but why stay in the shade when you can bake in the sun:D

at the end of the day we all take chances, my card has been running for the last 2 months without any problems except the poor circulation im having resulting in the case overheating! with my mod happening i do hope that it cures this if not then i will need to buy a fan and cable tie it to back of pc (which i dont want).

lets put it this way i can play C&C3 without any problems, crysis i can play medium settings without any problems however crysis warhead was the game that crashed my pc due to graphics card overheating :(

i recently purchased memory and is showing at around 3568 which im happy with :) like people have said in previous posts the memory im losing is marginal.

as for the new 2.6ghz 45w chipset soon to follow im sure this will help with the wattage for the graphics card since im running a 65w at the moment.

as for supplemental power supplys, do we really want wire sticking out everywhere? i would think not but thats my opinion.

just to make you guys laugh at me more my PSU wattage is 110 :) and not 160, she cant take no more captain shes gonna blow! if it does then im hoping i can get a slim PSU to replace the exsiting one and im sure you guys will keep me right

so as you can see everything is working out the way i want it but could end in disaster :eek::eek::eek:

im a corrupted lemming that doesnt follow orders...........yet!

regards me

I have a stock s3120n slimline – this has the standard HematiteXL-GL8E MB and a 160Watt power supply.

The AMD 9100e is a 65 watt proc.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...0243&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Along with upgrading to the 9500GS, I purchased a BE-2400 45watt processor from newegg (we can now buy from newegg in Canada!!). This was based on reading through the forum posts and following the recommendation of going with the lower draw CPU before installing a new graphics card.

Thank you for listening to reason - your choice is wise.

The BE-2400 is not on the list of supported processors for the HematiteXL-GL8E. The 2350 is listed. Has anyone installed the BE-2400 in the HematiteXL-GL8E Motherboard

I had one of those motherboards early on and it did NOT support a BE-2400, BUT that was early on and several BIOS updates have come out since then. Just be prepared to update to the newest BIOS and I think you should be fine. IIRC someone else in this lengthy thread sucessfully did use a BE-2400 after a BIOS update on that motherboard.

Back