The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Mine is still plugging away for the moment. A couple of weeks ago I did get a windows message that environmental monitoring was no longer available, but every time I check there isn't anything. I bought a refurb and the 90 days is well over now so hopefully things keep going well. That 3450 is sounding very tempting though. I bought mine as an htpc and while I don't find the 8600gt fan to be overly annoying, I would like to quiet the system down. I am really getting tired of the cpu fan taking off like a rocket every 10-15 minutes it was always so much quieter when I had the side of the case of. It rarely came on then! :D I wonder what I can replace that with. I bought a super quiet 80mm fan and once I got it I realized there is no way that is going in there any where and I would much rather not mount it to the outside there by creating frankenputer.

Hmm.. that is interesting. I have 2 gigs and my ram is at 5.7. Perhaps your processor is keeping the score low. Of course, Vista scores don't mean everything. Here are my scores without overclocking:
Processor: 5.4
Memory: 5.7
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming: 5.5
Primary hard disk: 5.7

it's because you bought PC5300 rather than PC6400.

With my AMD slimline you can see I had higher memory scores using the PC6400 (800mhz RAM)

oh i thought that the mobo couldnt handle higher memory speeds, also thought the 6400 rams wont work because of the at. So i was wrong this whole time ? im so noob, sorry

Hmm.. that is interesting. I have 2 gigs and my ram is at 5.7. Perhaps your processor is keeping the score low. Of course, Vista scores don't mean everything. Here are my scores without overclocking:
Processor: 5.4
Memory: 5.7
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming: 5.5

Mine

Processor: 5.2
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 5.0
Gaming: 5.3

Here you can clearly see the difference between the DDR2 & DDR3 8600 GT Graphics cards.

weird tho my memory is only 667mhz can score higher...??!!!

oh i thought that the mobo couldnt handle higher memory speeds, also thought the 6400 rams wont work because of the at. So i was wrong this whole time ? im so noob, sorry

Officially from the spec sheet it only supports PC5300, but that's just outdated...there are quite a few people even in this thread that are running PC6400.

Officially from the spec sheet it only supports PC5300, but that's just outdated...there are quite a few people even in this thread that are running PC6400.

It does state now in the documentation that I can use 800mhz memory. (3315uk) version.

I screwed up big time:rolleyes: What RAM would you recommend to buy. I also heard the 8600gt is pretty good so i might get that also.

you know...I think you'll find that AMD's don't benefit at all from extra memory bandwidth past the point in mhz you currently sit at outside of benchmark scores. I know your a noobie here, but not sure what your knowledge level is with PC hardware. There are references to this all over the web. Your memory specific benchmarks on AMD might show 30% increase, but real world performance in games is like 1FPS, and real world performance in apps is virtually non existant. The only real benefit to faster memory past PC5300 on AMD systems is higher synthetic benchmarks scores...I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you find a really good deal on PC6400 or don't care about losing a few dollars in the upgrade.

You'd be better served buying an 8600GT w/ ddr2 and a BE-2450 processor (when they are released) for overall system performance measurable gain!

Read these two threads in their entirety in regards to Memory Performance on AMD systems
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1254446

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1250313

ohh no no, i have an intel duel core(supposably) e2460, something like that. im not that noob on hardware, just need to refresh:p

disregard my post entirely then :)

Intel's benefit in real world performance given faster RAM --- so you might look at upgrading.

Im about to pull the trigger on the s3300z w\180w powersupply... i will be using this slimline for HTPC features only .. no gaming.. BUT i do need a component output to hook up to my 60" plasma.. my HDMI's are already being used

What do you guys think will work.. i seen some newegg links on this thread to the 8500 and 8600 but they are showing deactivated.. also do these slimlines do SPDIF out?

Has anyone been able to take apart the MCE IR and place it in the slimline case yet?

After searching the interwebs high and low, it sounds like this problem of the display not working after coming out of sleep is something mainly related to Vista, Media Center, and/or the Nvidia drivers, and possibly not related to our motherboards. I am still seeing CPU temps being read in a number of programs (Sandra, CoreTemp). I have found a number of threads at AVS and TGB related to similar problems on a number of different systems, which were especially common when leaving the computer with Media Center open in fullscreen mode:

TGB
AVS

Some fixes that people have used successfully:
MCE Standby Tool
Vista Sleep Mode Tutorial

I am at work, and I have not had time to try out either of those potential fixes, so use them with a grain of salt. It is troublesome that these problems started only recently, my system was working fine for a while. I would think that if the problem were software (as those links suggest), it would have been a problem from the moment I installed my vid card. Perhaps installing a more recent driver version for the card broke something that a driver roll-back did not modify. Anyway, hope this helps you guys (especially Jawa and MrCosmos - you guys have been already very helpful to me).

Jawa, have you gotten the most recent problem with the mobo sorted out?

My warranty replacement, s3200t, to my failed s3020n is starting to run very warm. (I should point out that it took 36 contacts for HP to finally acknowledge my sudden shutdown problem and to rememdy the problem.)

After receiving the s3200t, I did replace the shipped with nVidia 128mb card with an ATI Radeon 1300 256mb and expand the RAM with crucial to 2mb. I am also using an external USB drive with Ready Boost. I haven't run the performance measures you all have but on the vaque Vista index is now is ready 3.6.

My concern is the hard drive temp which is creeping over 50c. I would consider replacing the power supply, especially if it has better air flow and keeps the drive and components cooler.

I have also been considering a simple case mod, such as an additional small fan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Haasman

for these slimlines, is it possible to buy a case and swap the mobo into that new case? would seem like a good idea

Im about to pull the trigger on the s3300z w\180w powersupply... i will be using this slimline for HTPC features only .. no gaming.. BUT i do need a component output to hook up to my 60" plasma.. my HDMI's are already being used

What do you guys think will work.. i seen some newegg links on this thread to the 8500 and 8600 but they are showing deactivated.. also do these slimlines do SPDIF out?

Has anyone been able to take apart the MCE IR and place it in the slimline case yet?

They do do SPDIF "coax" out (not optical - at least on the 3020)

My 3020 didn't have an IR receiver, but I think many of the newer ones do...A lot of video cards come with a VGA to component output. You should be able to buy one on ebay in a pinch if you don't have one otherwise.

for these slimlines, is it possible to buy a case and swap the mobo into that new case? would seem like a good idea

Not easily since they don't have a standard powersupply, nor powersupply connector. You'd have to do some sodering for the motherboard nonstandard power connector if you got a new Powersupply, and the powersupply that came with it is not going to fit in any case I've ever seen in the typical fashion.

direwolf08, I talked to HP yesterday and since they could not confirm the same error linked to the s3020n model they are not going to replace my model with a different one. I finally have a "case manager" and they are a lot more willing to work with the issues. They are going to service the computer but instead of just looking at the motherboard, they are going to look at all of the components. So I hope that they are able to fix the issue. If, the something happens one more time with the motherboard then they will probably replace my model with a different one. Part of me actually hopes for that. ;)

I put some AS5 on my BE-2400 and am getting 20 and 12 degrees C on the cores at idle. I have ordered the SAPPHIRE 100233L Radeon HD 3450 to try to go fanless with the GPU. Wish me luck. If I had known how addictive theis little HTPC project would be, I would have just started using crystal meth instead...it would have been easier and cheaper, jeeze.

I put some AS5 on my BE-2400 and am getting 20 and 12 degrees C on the cores at idle. I have ordered the SAPPHIRE 100233L Radeon HD 3450 to try to go fanless with the GPU. Wish me luck. If I had known how addictive theis little HTPC project would be, I would have just started using crystal meth instead...it would have been easier and cheaper, jeeze.

Make sure you order a low profile bracket from somewhere aswell! :) I saw a really cool double bracket on EBay that used all 2 slots to accomadate ALL the fittings DVI SVHS and MONITOR (VGA).

I tried to install the Sapphire 3450 no fan card yesterday. I could not get the desktop to fit the monitor at 1920 x 1080. It was leaving about an inch around the sides. 1280 x 1024 worked fine.

But while I was trying to fix the desktop, I realized that I had no sound. It appears that the card replaced my on board sound with its own. Evidently you need to get an adapter from ATI to get HDMI/DVI sound with this card. I would be ok with that, but I could not figure out how install the card without installing the audio drivers and replacing (deleting) the Realtek on board audio. So that means I could not use my Logitech speakers unless I figured out how to route them through the TV since it would be getting the sound via HDMI and even then I don't think it would be true digital sound.

The card was also a very hot one. My core temps were up to 40C each and the CPU fan was running almost full blast the whole time. Be cautious with this upgrade and I hope if you do it, you have better luck than me.

3/5
Changed the bios to enable on board sound and was able to get the 3450 running at 1080. CPU is hot. 50 and 52 on the cores so far running about a half hour of TV. CPU fan is going all the time. I guess I just traded the card fan noise for the processor fan noise. Any ideas on a different cooler that will fit on the mobo?

Thanks mcnallm for the info on the 3450! Is there a way to monitor the GPU temp with ATi software (or other software)? It cannot possibly run hotter than my XFX 8400GS card that I have installed in my case. I installed NVidia system monitor yesterday, my GPU temps were >90C after playing a few 720p h264 videos! This is with the side of the case removed! Even with all that GPU heat, my CPU temps stayed around 40C, in no doubt due to the case being left open.

Something is wrong with my card, and I am in the process of returning it, but I would be surprised if the GPU in your 3450 was that hot, and if it is, it might be defective. I would also be interested to hear if you find a better HSF solution for this case.

Well, after about an hour or so, my tuner got so hot that it shut down and quit working. I also found out the card resizes the desktop with the black border after a reboot, so you manually have to change it each time. Didn't work for me. It will be an RMA.

Well, after about an hour or so, my tuner got so hot that it shut down and quit working. I also found out the card resizes the desktop with the black border after a reboot, so you manually have to change it each time. Didn't work for me. It will be an RMA.

Yikes! Didn't mean to sound incredulous, but yeah, I have been having similar problems with heat management and my s3020n. I will definitely keep a watchful eye on the heat when I install the one I ordered! Also, Amazon has a fanned, 512MB version of the 3450 that looks like it would fit our case, made by Diamond. Search '3450' on the main Amazon page and it will pop up.

Which is the best 8600GT card out there? I know it works with any slimline models (at least 160W). Here is a link of the S3330F (WITH 8500GT) and HP told me that all there new s3330f's come with a 8600GT and that they still have the 160W PSU. As seen here in the Parts order page "PCI Express x16 graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT (Sikorski), 256Mb, 64-bit memory interface - Supports 2D and 3D, DVI, S-video, and VGA (full-size bracket only, not offered on low-profile bracket) I/O ports" P/N: GV312-69001. SEE HERE FOR THE S3330F

This is the memory I plan to buy from CORSAIR 4GB
And *MAYBE* the processor AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5400+ 2.8 Ghz

Now I just need a 8600GT Video card any one care to give me good links to it?

Which is the best 8600GT card out there? I know it works with any slimline models (at least 160W). Here is a link of the S3330F (WITH 8500GT) and HP told me that all there new s3330f's come with a 8600GT and that they still have the 160W PSU. As seen here in the Parts order page "PCI Express x16 graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT (Sikorski), 256Mb, 64-bit memory interface - Supports 2D and 3D, DVI, S-video, and VGA (full-size bracket only, not offered on low-profile bracket) I/O ports" P/N: GV312-69001. SEE HERE FOR THE S3330F

This is the memory I plan to buy from CORSAIR 4GB
And *MAYBE* the processor AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5400+ 2.8 Ghz

Now I just need a 8600GT Video card any one care to give me good links to it?

Don't buy that proc. It eats up too much power. Read through this entire thread for several references. Youl'll need a 45 watt proc to have that 8600GT video card in this setup. I recommend the BE-2400 until the BE-2450 comes out. Your going to have power problems if you get both that upgraded video card and that proc you are looking at.

Here is the BE-2400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103204&Tpk=be-2400

Archaea or omjeremy, I guess I will not buy that processor. I have a question for either one of you, whats the best graphics card I can safely upgrade to? (Provide link Please) and I have read around on other web forums that the Slims only support RAM thats 1.8 Volts. Can either one of you give me links for the best RAM (I want 4GB so it has to be 2GB x 2) and the best safely upgradeable graphics card. P.S. Archaea If I don't Upgrade the processor can I still get the ram and the 8600GT card?

I think you'll be best served by reading all 18 pages of this thread...by that time you should have a mighty fine handle on what this slimlines can handle.

The motherboard only supports 2GB of RAM max according to the documentation. I've never read about anyone trying more than that. Maybe it's possible maybe it's not. I used 2.0 volt ram in my slimline with no problems instead of the 1.8volt recommendation, but you'll be better off buying 1.8 volt RAM to ensure compatibility. Buy PC6400 ram, it is compatible with the slimlines despite the documentation not stating that it is. You'll get faster benchmarks with the PC 6400 - I've proven such on earlier pages.

You could try 2x2GB and see if it works, worst case you'll have to RMA the RAM back and get a 2x1GB setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4802&Description=pc6400&name=Top+Sellers

Dont worry about buying 4-4-4-12 RAM, your system BIOS/CMOS RAM settings can't be changed, they'll default to something slow like 5-5-5-18 so just get cheaper "timings" RAM. Crucial makes good dependable stuff.

The 8600GT has been proven usable by serveral in this thread with the 160watt PSU.

The combination of a 5400X2 and the 8600GT is going to lock up with any full perofrmance mode. Unless they've released a new model the 5400 x2 is a 89 watt processor. The 5200+ EE was the fastest 65 watt processor, and even 65 watt with a 8400GS (about the same power consumption as the 8600GT) was too much processor power requirement for my slimline. It would lock up when I set stuff to full performance (full power draw) within a couple minutes, but it would tool around at idle all day.

The BE-2400 is a 45 watt processor and it is a quite capable processor. In order to upgrade to 2GB of RAM, and a 8600GT you'll certaintly need a 45 watt processor on that limited 160watt PSU.

But all three of those upgrades are possible -- (2GB, 8600GT, and BE-2400) The card that omjeremy recommended a couple replies up is the best/fastest choice. You try to deviate from our recommendations too much and you'll probably get burnt. Try the 4GB at your own risk, very well could work, but I've just not heard of anyone else trying it. All your questions have been answered in this long thread. Get to reading :) At the same time feel free to ask additional questions...but your time won't be wasted by reading through this thread!

I have read this thread for about a week, a HP customer care rep gave me this link.

Oh I am sorry forgot to mention the model number. It's a s3320n. It can support 4GB. My current vista score is

Processor: 5.1
Memory (RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 3.2
Gaming graphics: 3.0
Disk Data Transfer rate: 5.8

Overall 3.0

I just want the best 4GB-1.8V(2GB x 2) of ram, and a good graphics card. I am willing to buy the best for it.

* Dual channel memory architecture (1 DIMM per channel)
* Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
* Supported DIMM types:
o PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
o PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
o PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
* Single or double-sided DIMMs
* Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
* Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
* Supports up to 4 GB* (2 x 2 GB)
o 32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n Desktop PC - Product Specifications

Motherboard Specifications, M2N61-AR (Acacia)

An HP customer care rep gave you this link to hard forum? If so that's awesome As the thread starter that makes me gleam ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146692

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144064

2x2GB - 1.8 volt Quality RAM - both vendors are quality! You can buy PC6400 RAM at 1.8volts from any vendor you want, but I wouldn't get anything with too exotic a heatsink - it may not fit.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/26441/86GEF8HDFCXX/Galaxy Techology/

or

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/76946/VIDEOCARDS_GEFORCE_PCI-EXPRESS_SERIES/MSI/NX8600GT-MTD256E.asp

8600GT

As omjeremy listed the 8600GT chipset is the best graphics card for a slimline period.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103204&Tpk=be-2400

BE-2400

Best processor for an AMD based slimline - period, and probably the ONLY processor outside of the slower BE-2350 and BE-2300 processors that will work with the 4GB of RAM and 8600GT.

why wouldn't you trust it? I've read nothing bad about it??

You're right, nothing bad has been said about Galaxy. I currently own the Galaxy 8600GT myself. From my own experiences the fan seems to be too loud, compared to my last 8400GS, and seems to run hotter than the 8400GS. So really as of right now the only difference I know between the cards is the MSI card has dual link DVI (a DVI and an HDMI port), which will tend to my needs more closely. I just thought I'd provide a link to the MSI 8600GT as they are a larger company that more people may be familiar with and if they wanted the HDMI port as well. I plan on purchasing the MSI 8600GT once they get back to me with my shipping questions and I'll be sure to let everyone know how they stack up against each other.

I will buy the 4GB RAM for now and wait to buy the BE-2450 @ 2.5 GHz, And 8600GT. Thanks you guys very much. I will report back complete findings! thanks so much again.

Back