• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The HDA Mystique Q+A Thread

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
1,711
I thought I would start a thread about problems some of you may have with BlueGears HDA Mystique card. This may help build some mature drivers and at the same time help other users figure their problems out.

Here is the first problem that I found:
When playing UnrealTournament2004 I minimized it to check my e-mail. After I was done I maximized UT2004 again. Upon maximizing it the card will lock up causing XP to crash then auto restart. Can anyone confirm this? (This doesnt happen with my TurtleBeach card)

Winamp was open any playing music when this happened (I dont know if that had an influence at all).
 
sorry i can't, i don't have ut2004...

in games, do you set audio as hardware or software processing? I have no idea which one i should select.
 
My best guess would be to use hardware, but maybe someone can make this clearer if it should be software :confused:
 
most any game that has the hardware option available i turn on with my Mystique, with the exception of BF2
 
just curious as to why bf2 is the exception? currently im running it with hardware acel on and it sounds tons better than software. i did notice if the eax checkbox is checked, i get staticy sounds tho.
 
rhexis said:
just curious as to why bf2 is the exception? currently im running it with hardware acel on and it sounds tons better than software. i did notice if the eax checkbox is checked, i get staticy sounds tho.

well, i tried hardware acel on the demo, all i hear is clicking sounds
 
UPDATE:

In UT2004 I enabled hardware as the main audio processor and my problems disappeared. This is a really strange card. Its going to take me a bit to get used to the way it works :p
 
mjz_5 said:
well, i tried hardware acel on the demo, all i hear is clicking sounds


this was exactly the reason i turn it on software..

i will try again with the hardware in the retail bf2 but the amount of cards that don't officially support the hardware mode is pretty long including some Creative cards..
 
just make sure not to check the eax box and it should work fine
 
My question (before I purchase it) is whether it supports true DVDA decoding. If anyone has any info on this, that would be great.
 
mjz_5 said:
well, i tried hardware acel on the demo, all i hear is clicking sounds

i have an audigy 2, and the demo gave me clicking when i enabled hardware...in the full game, no problems.

i'm getting rid of the audigy- i'm sick of the screech of death. it happens so often that i have nightmares about it.. :(


just kidding. but the optical out and analog outs are just too good to pass up on the mystique :) anyway-- are there any driver issues at the moment? anything with hardware compatibility problems?
 
m0unds said:
i have an audigy 2, and the demo gave me clicking when i enabled hardware...in the full game, no problems.

i'm getting rid of the audigy- i'm sick of the screech of death. it happens so often that i have nightmares about it.. :(


just kidding. but the optical out and analog outs are just too good to pass up on the mystique :) anyway-- are there any driver issues at the moment? anything with hardware compatibility problems?

i haven't ran into any problems.. played doom3, hl2, call of duty... one thing is that every time you reboot the machine, windows goes back into stereo mode. So you have to go to control panel->sound and Audio Devices-> advance button and select 5.1 again... i just placed the shortcut in my startup menu (in startmenu) so it makes it easier :p... supposedly they are coming out with new drivers by the end of the month, so this should be fixed.
 
Heh and I thought it was just me, so it DOES go back to default when you restart. And I did read that the driver revision later this month is supposed to fix that.

Sometimes I "piss" this card off and it causes my system to crash and reboot but that really hasnt been happening that much lately. I am still getting used to having this card after being a TurtleBeach user for the past 4+ years :p
 
mjz_5 said:
i haven't ran into any problems.. played doom3, hl2, call of duty... one thing is that every time you reboot the machine, windows goes back into stereo mode. So you have to go to control panel->sound and Audio Devices-> advance button and select 5.1 again... i just placed the shortcut in my startup menu (in startmenu) so it makes it easier :p... supposedly they are coming out with new drivers by the end of the month, so this should be fixed.


how is the audio quality? all accounts say it's very, very good. i know that the HL2 sound engine is based on miles (or somethign similar), so the audio engine is dependant on the CPU... but does utilizing hardware audio cause noticible performance dips?
 
m0unds said:
how is the audio quality? all accounts say it's very, very good. i know that the HL2 sound engine is based on miles (or somethign similar), so the audio engine is dependant on the CPU... but does utilizing hardware audio cause noticible performance dips?
I don't notice any performance dips in HL2, but that could also because I have hyperthreading and any additional cpu work from HDA would probably be done on the second thread. If you have SMT or Dual Core I doubt you would notice a difference. Although I have heard from people with single cores without SMT don't have a performance problems either. Just make sure you shut off you intergrated audio and take out other sound cards (and uninstall drivers), it seems the HDA doesn't like to play nice with multiple sound devices installed. In addition make sure it's not sharing any IRQ's (of course this could be true for any pci), that caused some blue screens for me at first (it was sharing IRQ with my network adapter, so any time I used internet my sound would pop and eventually blue screen), but after I put it on its own IRQ (moving it down two pci slots) I haven't had a single blue screen or popping. Audio quality is better than my Audigy 2 ZS, it's not AMAZINGLY better, but it is still very noticeable (probably because my receiver's dacs are higher quality than the A2 ZS's dacs). Overall I am enjoying this card a lot, it is a tad annoying that you have to set speaker configuration back to 5.1 every restart, but that's about my only gripe with the card.
 
Another thing I noticed. When recording audio through the stero mix method, it NEVER sounds the same as the actuall recording :( It seems as if the stream goes through the processor twice throwing the sound levels off (the levels of the bass and treble). I dont know if a driver can fix this or if its just the nature of the sound processor.
 
Allright heres what BlueGears said about recording onboard (I tried what they said and it actually worked, im so happy now :) ) This card is finally beginning to get on my good side!
Anyway:

Dear Tony,

In that case, you can use the Wave tab of recording not S/PDIF in or
Stereo Mix.
If you choose wave tab then you can record the signal internally.
And Stereo Mix is for whole signal monitoring. It means that analog
noise can be recorded when you using application from CD in, Aux in and
Line in also.

So we recommend using wave tab on PCI 3D audio configuration.
 
Back
Top