The HD 3850 AGP User Experience

No idea... just saw this on another forum thought Id share the info. Oh speaking of sharing info.. over on filehippo.com they have the new release of DX .. just incase you all be interested...

reference this hotfix... Dont think Im going to use it right now.. doing the install listed above see no reason. So, if anyone knows a realllly good reason to use it .. how about letting us know??

I promised some benchmarks so enjoy

3DMarkBenchmark-AfterATI3850.jpg

3DMarkBenchmark-BeforeATI3850.jpg

These were using 8.3 drivers. I think the pictures speak for themselves :D

you have a good cpu thats why your scores are double mine. i get around 3k on a 7800 gainward bliss.

i wanna see some benchmarks on a p4 northwood cpu so i can have a clearer view on how much improvement this card will make

you have a good cpu thats why your scores are double mine. i get around 3k on a 7800 gainward bliss.

i wanna see some benchmarks on a p4 northwood cpu so i can have a clearer view on how much improvement this card will make

i did post several benchmarks using my P4 near the begining of the thread. ;)

EDIT: to save you the trouble:

3DMark06 Score 5852 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 3068
SM 3.0 Score 3822
CPU Score 831

you can clearly see the bottle neck

yes definetly the P4 is the bottleneck. thanks. i will justs ave my money on a quad core system and toss in a 9800GX2 or a 8800GTS

Apparently, these cards are selling quite well since everyone is sold out of them... good move on ati's part to make a decent card for the millions of AGP systems still out there.

Everywhere is sold out? Very nice to hear indeed. Hopefully, with all these sales the driver cleaning up will continue and well be getting some rarin to go drivers for this card.

I posted the info earlier in this thread, but here it is again. I was using a 19" 1280 x 1024 LCD monitor.

Prior card X850 XT PE 256MB: 3dMark06 2157
New card HD 3850 AGP 512MB: 3dMark06 4737

That's a 119% increase.

3Dmark06 is not completely accurate for non SM3.0 cards, because for example, the Radeon X1600 scores almost the same as the X800XT when that's wrong, because the X800XT demolishes the X1600PRO. I guess that 3DMark05 would be more suitable to compare in raw performance.

The new version of riva tuner is out.. and in the notes it says it supports this card :) now perhaps can control the fan! I downloaded it but not yet installed.... got to put this computer in its new case today

well, no longer need to control the fan... this new case is excellent. All my temps have dropped from 5 to 15degrees. Card is now running at 45 where it was usually around 50. Ill soon change out the low power 120s on this case with my beefier ones and see what happens then. Whats funny is Im one fan short. ..

A good day so far.. but boy do I have to do some major wire management!! its a mess in there...

onward though the fog..

Those new drivers are nice.. just for a giggle I installed them.. Did oh 90 of Obliv and it appeared to run much smoother ... so now installing for Vista.. see how that is.

I just installed over... I did do a restore point before doing them just incase... no idea if theyre newer than the 8.3's but things do look better.. Even desktop pic looks better.. colors are richer. dont know if Im messing up or what.. but seems to be fine.

I hate to say it, but I'm totally confused now after going to Sapphire's site. I thought there were _new_ drivers, but it's only a hotfix dated March 10. I'm currently using the drivers/CCC that came on the CD with the card. Do I just need to run the hotfix? Do I need to uninstall and use Sapphire's Feb 23 drivers and then run the hotfix? What about the CCC? Do I use the 8.3 one on ATI's site? Please help.

I hate to say it, but I'm totally confused now after going to Sapphire's site. I thought there were _new_ drivers, but it's only a hotfix dated March 10. I'm currently using the drivers/CCC that came on the CD with the card. Do I just need to run the hotfix? Do I need to uninstall and use Sapphire's Feb 23 drivers and then run the hotfix? What about the CCC? Do I use the 8.3 one on ATI's site? Please help.

The hotfix is the display driver, cat 8.3
I installed them and they seem fine, I'm testing my games now and will post back tomorrow how it goes.

EDIT:
TV-out is working with these cat 8.3 ;)
sure did take them along time to fix that bug thou....

The hotfix is the display driver, cat 8.3
I installed them and they seem fine, I'm testing my games now and will post back tomorrow how it goes.

Ok... so what do I need to do?

Option 1: Just run the March 10th hotfix with my current drivers from the CD. But what about the CCC?

Option 2: Uninstall current drivers, CCC, etc. Then install Feb 23rd file, then run Mar 10th hotfix.

Ok... so what do I need to do?

Option 1: Just run the March 10th hotfix with my current drivers from the CD. But what about the CCC?

Option 2: Uninstall current drivers, CCC, etc. Then install Feb 23rd file, then run Mar 10th hotfix.

I had installed the cat 8.2 from Sapphire and had been using them, then found how to install the cat 8.3.
I did a fresh install of the 8.3's and also tried installing over the 8.2'.(forced install)

I ended up going back to the 8.2's and then installing the 8.3's(the sapphire 8.3) over them and everything is working fine.

The best part is they fixed TV-out.

I ended up going back to the 8.2's and then installing the 8.3's(the sapphire 8.3) over them and everything is working fine.

So you're saying I just need to run the March 10th hotfix .exe with my Sapphire drivers from the CD already installed?

Thats weird. Today they have the 8.3's listed dated March 11th. I'm not sure whats going on but I'm just going to install the new 8.3 listed there. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tried the 8.3's from the sapphire site. said it wasn't compatible with my hardware? So I installed the hotfix from the other day. Anyone else have any luck with the new Cats?

I just installed the 8.3s from ATI's site. When Sapphire can explain why there drivers are 230MB in size maybe I'll download them.

I just installed the 8.3s from ATI's site. When Sapphire can explain why there drivers are 230MB in size maybe I'll download them.

so the standard ati drivers installed flawlessly?

with or without hotfix?

any problems so far?

just waiting on my tax return, then ill be right there with you guys :)

so the standard ati drivers installed flawlessly?

with or without hotfix?

any problems so far?

just waiting on my tax return, then ill be right there with you guys :)

Regular ATI 8.3s worked for me. See response #159 on page 8. Good luck on finding 3850 AGPs - most retailers are out of stock!

Regular ATI 8.3s worked for me. See response #159 on page 8. Good luck on finding them!

They did not work for you then, in the sense you just clicked and installed them.

You did the forced install through device manager or edit the 2x ini files and 1x dat and 1x 1inf file.

Sapphire's site has some interesting stuff now guys.

Catalyst 8.3 Windows XP (32-bit) Mar 11th, 2008
8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746 46307.4KB

I'm going to download this and give it a try.
The hotfix we got yesterday was only the display driver from cat 8.3... this thing today seems to be the ccc, wdm driver and display driver.

Regular ATI 8.3s worked for me. See response #159 on page 8. Good luck on finding 3850 AGPs - most retailers are out of stock!

Eh, I'm not too worried.

I'll just wait for the next shipment to come in....

(and considering the way these things are selling, I don't see Sapphire/Visiontek cutting production in the near future)

Sapphire's site has some interesting stuff now guys.

Catalyst 8.3 Windows XP (32-bit) Mar 11th, 2008
8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746 46307.4KB

I'm going to download this and give it a try.
The hotfix we got yesterday was only the display driver from cat 8.3... this thing today seems to be the ccc, wdm driver and display driver.

Hmmm... 10 hours and haven't heard from you. Well, when you can get back here, let us know what happened. I haven't tried any of the new drivers, either ATI or Sapphire yet.

You had previously said that you just ran the hotfix with the CD drivers installed. Did that modify the CCC, or just the drivers?

Hmmm... 10 hours and haven't heard from you. Well, when you can get back here, let us know what happened. I haven't tried any of the new drivers, either ATI or Sapphire yet.

You had previously said that you just ran the hotfix with the CD drivers installed. Did that modify the CCC, or just the drivers?

Well to answer your question the hotfix did nothing for the CCC, it just updated my display driver.

The new driver package from Sapphire wont even install.
cat83installerrorte2.jpg

Pretty fragged up... ATi and Sapphire need to pull their heads out their arses and get this fixed.

Tried the 8.3's from the sapphire site. said it wasn't compatible with my hardware? So I installed the hotfix from the other day. Anyone else have any luck with the new Cats?

Looks like the drivers from ATi and now Sapphire are giving this error during install.

Well to answer your question the hotfix did nothing for the CCC, it just updated my display driver.

That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure. Do you know, if I install the hotfix, can I then uninstall the CCC (that was on the CD), and install the 8.3 CCC from ATI's site?

The new driver package from Sapphire wont even install.

When you hadn't posted in over 10 hours, I figured you had problems :(

Pretty fragged up... ATi and Sapphire need to pull their heads out their arses and get this fixed.

Seriously.

ANOTHER hotfix out today (12th) but again it's just a hotfix. Which means it's probably just the driver alone and not the whole Shibang. So I'm not sure what to do with this. Gotta wait till I get home to try it anyways.

Got a somewhat related question, does the Catalyst 8.3 work with Sapphire or HIS 2600 AGPs? Alot of the Newegg reviews by people who purchase give it 1/5 and have "wait for drivers or unknown VGA adapter - blah blah blah review" with latest review on March 11th saying that again.

Update: Nevermind just read the Sapphire issue several replies above. I guess I'll buy a new mobo or PC.

This is not Sapphire's fault alone guys, this is AMD/ATi's doing.

Everyone call ATi and talk with a senior tech and make sure they get this fixed... the more people who call the better, also open tickets with them on this.

I was already promised a hotfix from AMD/ATi but so far nothing has changed and I will be calling them back and letting them know.

1-877-284-1566

Back